Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Blackchamber posted:

I don't know every recycle shop in Kyoto or Osaka obviously which is why I asked for recommendations, key or special ones people here know of. All in all that doesn't appear to be much.

Blackchamber posted:

and check out this thing:

I live in Osaka atm and as far as Book Offs go, the one closest to Namba station is a weird combination-type place with two floors, the top one of which is mainly 2nd-hand clothing. The bottom floor is pretty standard aside from a small hardware section including a healthy selection of musical instruments and homewares, but the real gem is the 3-bookshelf wide section of foreign-language books, where books on Chinese business strategy rub shoulders with Church of Satan publications. (In other words, the books aren't interesting, but the thought of how they might have gotten there is.) Those books aside, there's a fairly large selection, so you'll definitely find artbooks/strategy guides, and there's a bin or two full of miscellaneous toys/stuff that MIGHT have some LCD stuff. It's easy to get to and probably worth your time.

I've been to the one in Tennoji, which is much smaller and seems more focused on books. There was also one next to a bridge over a river in Kyoto which seemed relatively standard for Book-Offs, can't report anything too surprising there.

In general, most of the interesting ones seem to be closer to transport hubs anyway. Most of the legit Hard Offs, Home Offs etc. will take you a few trains away - there's some ones that seem interesting in the Sakai area but I've never been motivated personally...

That Horror House game is fun, I had an incomplete copy growing up! But I've never seen board games at any Book Off I've been to (yet).

You're probably already familiar, but the Nippombashi area in Osaka has tons of stores that are more likely to have specific things; unfortunately, they're also more likely to know how much they're worth. Still, I should think you'd have a lot more luck in that area, especially when it comes to board games etc., plus it's really close to Namba. Obviously you're less likely to have those 'wow' random discovery moments, but more likely to actually find stuff you're looking for. Different kinda experience.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What about the bug spray Off?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Somewhere in Japan is a gay bar named Hard On.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
It's been 1.5 years since I visited this thread last, but I'm returning to Japan for business March 11-20. Are there any goons in Nagoya? This is like my 4th trip to Nagoya so I'm not so interested in the (few) touristy things they have available and more interested in getting some good food and beer.

Also considering just hoppin' on a bullet train to Tokyo on the 16th to spend Saturday and Sunday seeing the city.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

extravadanza posted:

It's been 1.5 years since I visited this thread last, but I'm returning to Japan for business March 11-20. Are there any goons in Nagoya? This is like my 4th trip to Nagoya so I'm not so interested in the (few) touristy things they have available and more interested in getting some good food and beer.

Also considering just hoppin' on a bullet train to Tokyo on the 16th to spend Saturday and Sunday seeing the city.

Tokyo

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Robot Restaurant is fun in a turn-off-your-brain kind of way, and it's okay to like that kind of thing

No, the REAL reason you shouldn't go there is because it's a firetrap

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Sounds like Mandarake would meet your needs better than any of the Off stores. You can even search their website to see if they have what you want ahead of time. https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/?lang=en

Suruga-ya would also be a good choice. They have a bunch in Akihabara with one of them dedicated to board games and a smaller one in Shinjuku but there should also be a couple around Osaka.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 6, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

quote:

Unless google maps is lying to me there is 11 or 12 OFF stores in the Kansai area

Which is it - Kansai or Osaka/Kyoto?

I don't want anything from you. I'm just mocking you for your woefully inadequate google skills.

extravadanza posted:

Seconding Tokyo if you haven't been there.

Kyoto is also an alternative for touristy stuff if you've never been.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 6, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have no/minimal plans for Golden Week. I am NOT getting stuck on the highway!!!! (like our friends do every year when they visit us during GW, lol)

A 10 day long vacation, 3 weeks after the new school year starts is so stupid, wtf. Maybe this will break Japanese offices and encourage them to start offering more flexible days off.

Edit: 3 weeks not 3 days

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 7, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Probably not!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Our offices in Japan took away random holidays during summer and strung them together into 2 5-day weekends a few weeks apart.

...so, progress?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

peanut posted:

A 10 day long Golden week 3 days after the new school year starts is so stupid, wtf. Maybe this will break Japanese offices and encourage them to start offering more flexible days off.

My wife has all 10 days off, I don’t have the 30th/1st/2nd but I’m going to take them off. The other change is from April 1st, full-time staff at Japanese companies are required to take 5 days of holiday (assuming they get 10 days or more per year), which means my HR is now requiring us to put plans in place for the full year and schedule it out already :rolleyes:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The year is gonna change from Heisei to ??? on May 1st, lmao.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
But they can't figure out how to do daylight savings time.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Calendar designers are in for an extra bit of overtime work.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

that's fine cuz daylight saving time is bullshit

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
why the gently caress would you WANT dst?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

G O O D

(The time zone needs to shift forward because sunrise at 4:30 am in June is bullshit but that’s a separate matter)

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mikeycp posted:

why the gently caress would you WANT dst?

more time for day drinking, i think

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

G O O D

(The time zone needs to shift forward because sunrise at 4:30 am in June is bullshit but that’s a separate matter)

And sunset at 5pm in the winter is equally bullshit. I'd rather they shifted the time zone, but they never will because then they wouldn't be an hour ahead of China. So DST.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
gently caress daylight savings time. Especially gently caress Australian daylight savings time because it varies from state to state and that was rear end to put into my excel templates.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

And sunset at 5pm in the winter is equally bullshit. I'd rather they shifted the time zone, but they never will because then they wouldn't be an hour ahead of China. So DST.

If they evened things out it would be moving further ahead of China though, so two (or three!) hours ahead of China instead.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

If they evened things out it would be moving further ahead of China though, so two (or three!) hours ahead of China instead.

Hang on, can you explain that one to me?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hold the gently caress up. Day light savings is good?

????????

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Only if you like seeing the sun apparently.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Hang on, can you explain that one to me?

I think Japan should go from GMT+9 to GMT+10 because that would move everything one hour forward and stop the sun from rising at 4 goddamn 30 in the summer and setting at 6 pm, but I'm also a polar bear from the north that's used to it being light until 9 pm in summer so what do I know.

I...really should know more about this having lived for so long in Pacific time :hurr:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 7, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

I think Japan should go from GMT+9 to GMT+10 because that would move everything one hour forward and stop the sun from rising at 4 goddamn 30 in the summer and setting at 6 pm, but I'm also a polar bear from the north that's used to it being light until 9 pm in summer so what do I know.

I'm not sure, but I think you have that backwards.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

You go backwards time zones to make the sun come up later, not forward.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Bring back Swatch Internet Time.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Work better hours you slaves

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You do realize this is Japan we’re talking about, right?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

prompt posted:

Work better hours you slaves

Lol, aren't you trying to open a cafe or something?

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

sale on Banksy art posted:

Lol, aren't you trying to open a cafe or something?

I’m actually working on being a house husband but I don’t think the wife is going to go for that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

LimburgLimbo posted:

What exactly are you after with piss alley and Golden gai? Mostly people want to check those for the little quirky bars and atmosphere, but honestly it’s literally around 90% tourists now, which isn’t the end of the world but be aware that you’re not getting your unique Japanese adventure.

problem: whenever tourists start going to a bar, the locals leave and it ends up being 90% tourists
solution: keep sending tourists to new bars and expecting it to somehow go differently this time

as a tourist, just admit you're not going to get a ~unique japanese adventure~ anyway. you're going to go to all the same places and take all the same photos as everybody else, and that's absolutely fine. if you have a friend who lives in the city and can take you somewhere they're a regular then that's one thing, but if you're just swinging by for one night and don't know anybody local then you might as well go to the tourist bars where the staff are used to tourists. you'll have a good time and it'll be less awkward for everybody concerned.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
If an 'authentic' experience is no foreigners, I guess I got a fairly 'authentic' experience spending 6 weeks in Kariya, Aichi on business - a relatively unknown city about an hour outside Nagoya. Employees took me out 3 or4 of the nights for barbecue, a kaiseki meal and some ramen (it was a particularly busy time of the year).

I guess if you want authentic, work for a japanese company with it's headquarters outside of a major city. Or just hop on a train to a smaller town where nobody speaks any english.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

extravadanza posted:

Employees took me out 3 or4 of the nights for barbecue, a kaiseki meal and some ramen (it was a particularly busy time of the year).

Technically not authentic either and more like a client obligation thing although it will be closer to the real deal.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Soricidus posted:

solution: keep sending tourists to new bars and expecting it to somehow go differently this time

Tokyo has no shortage of bars, so yes this is the solution. If you can stay one step ahead of the generic tourist route, it's still easy to have a unique Japanese adventure. In Tokyo.

edit: short of a massive influx of foreigners who speak Japanese and/or drastic overnight improvement in the average Japanese person's English ability, the above will remain true for the foreseeable future. Even the drat Yamanote line has plenty of stations with drinking spots not "discovered" by tourists yet. You'd think a place like Kanda, one stop away from Tokyo station, would be overrun with tourists. Especially with its rapidly emerging craft beer scene. But there are still basically none.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 7, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like izakaya and alcoholic drinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

ntan1 posted:

Technically not authentic either and more like a client obligation thing although it will be closer to the real deal.

Yeah the kaiseki one was very much a formal welcome dinner that seemed like an obligation, but the other dinners with bar hopping afterwards were just with the work group that I was working alongside (couple other young guys and our supervisor for the project) and felt much more ordinary. It was great!

The other couple dozen days on my own were great for people watching at local eateries. Nobody there really spoke any English because it wasn't a major city but they were all so inviting and tried really hard to communicate with pointing and basic yes/no language. It feels so weird spending weeks where everybody is on the same page except you because of the language divide. When I sat down at a bar midway thru my trip and the bartender actually spoke great fluent English I had the weirdest sensation of relief, even though I really had gotten along just fine because everybody had been so kind to me along the way.

peanut posted:

I like izakaya and alcoholic drinks
Yessss.