Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Had, he had them. And he was valid then.

Actually did that happen? I seem to remember a belt of gender reversal joke somewhere in the early days.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manuel Calavera posted:

Had, he had them. And he was valid then.

Actually did that happen? I seem to remember a belt of gender reversal joke somewhere in the early days.

Yes. It was an early gag where they found one in the dungeon and Elan discreetly grabbed it after the others left. Then Roy used it during the hotel arc when he was escaping the assassins trying to kill the king of Nowhere. Ended up being used as a bit of character growth for Roy as he realized how lovely he had been being to women.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oots sorta swerved around a bit there but sometimes the "Evil characters can have loved one too" has been an interested subtheme of the comic.

Completely off-topic: I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately, and my absolute favourite parts of the lore are the diaries of the immortal omnicidal Hive Gods talking lovingly about their close family:

quote:

Look at you!

Already you are grown, my daughter, already you are a wizard. Have I been away so long? Now you are Ir Anûk, and Savathûn cackles and rages at your brilliance. You have written eleven axioms describing the ascendant places, our throne world. You have announced that you will kill one of these axioms, as Akka would kill the truth, and in mantling Akka you will become a God, as I am.

If you try it I may kill you, or I may applaud. Well done. I brought you this bitter acid for your celebrations.

And you, Ir Halak, you are a wizard too, as is the way of twins. I have been with Xivu Arath, who complains that you have made a song, and sung it in her throne world, and killed everyone who listened, quite irrevocably. Will we have songs instead of swords and boomers?

What have you made for me? It is a tooth shaped like death! I will keep it in my mouth. What have you written for me? It is the course of the Nicha Thought-ship! I will track it down.

I made you by cutting one larvae in half. It would not die. Each half grew into one of you. My sword is named Willbreaker, but it never broke you.

quote:

Xivu upon Oryx —
Uttered by Xivu Arath —
Sibling of Oryx —

BETRAYAL. We have marooned Oryx within the Deep. This is our obligation as lords of the Hive, to make war upon each other, to eradicate weakness and make ourselves sharp.

OBLIGATIONS. Once, I permitted Oryx to kill me so that he could gain the sword logic and overcome Akka our God. This left me trapped deep in my throne. But Oryx my brother made war upon the Ecumene and in that war he described me, for I too am war. Thus I was resurrected.

RESURRECTION. Savathûn and I conspired to strand Oryx on his expedition. But I secretly believe that I will be stronger with Oryx to war against. Thus I describe him.

A DESCRIPTION OF ORYX.

When Oryx looks upon you, you feel that you may vanish if he looks away.

The crest of Oryx’s skull is as long as an arm. In the course of its life, a thought moves from one end to the other. Upon his crest I have painted a line in my blood, so that he will remember me.

Each of Oryx’s fangs has the precision of a finger and the acuity of an eye.

Although he was born at the bottom of the universe, and taught to burrow, Oryx has grown wings. The light of wildfire shines through them. Oryx teaches but he will not be taught.

Oryx’s body is corded with strength. His sinews and his muscles are as strong as his children, and his children are the strength of him.

Oryx wears a raiment of worm silk, made from the caul of gods.

The voice of Oryx may cause two different numbers to become equal.

Oryx my Brother is the bravest thing I know. Upon Fundament he learned that we were the natural prey of the universe, the most frail and desperate of things. He thought about this carefully and he found a way to fix it. He made us strong. He will lead us into eternity.

Oryx my Brother loves me and this love is war.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Proud Dad posted:

I made you by cutting one larvae in half. It would not die. Each half grew into one of you. My sword is named Willbreaker, but it never broke you.

:3: dawwww

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

And don't forget how Loki is actually something of a decent son in his own way and means looking out for his dad.

Oots sorta swerved around a bit there but sometimes the "Evil characters can have loved one too" has been an interested subtheme of the comic. So some characters even if evil, it just means that's how they can best express themselves and how they solve problems; but sometimes in some ways, out of friendship or familiar love, there's still good intentions that work their way in there. Loki as a god of trickery, tricking Hel because it's the only way he knows how to help Odin. Belkar probably knocking you out and dragging you into a deserted alley if you mess with Elan or something.

My 10yo daughter is obsessed with oots and we've had some interesting discussions about what evil and good really mean come out of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Completely off-topic: I've been playing a lot of Destiny lately, and my absolute favourite parts of the lore are the diaries of the immortal omnicidal Hive Gods talking lovingly about their close family:

I legit love that kind of overcooked nonsense, it's very satisfying to read.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So what should that thing be?

Ps: 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Well after Belkar's most recent speech I think it's pretty much a sure thing that he dies in 5-10 strips.

With Belkar dies my interest in this webcomic.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 8, 2019

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sebmojo posted:

My 10yo daughter is obsessed with oots and we've had some interesting discussions about what evil and good really mean come out of it.

That's really sweet. Burlew should be proud.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Belkar is going to die on the very last page, during the "where are they now" montage, off-panel.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ikanreed posted:

We've already met that character. He had a terrible ending.

Awhile back, but I can't figure out who you're talking about.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Cuntellectual posted:

Awhile back, but I can't figure out who you're talking about.

Tarquin. He had a terrible ending, in that it wasn't much of one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Erfworld was really good back in the day, just when it ran out of easy jokes on game mechanics, the story that was left really fell flat, whereas Order of the Stick matured very well into a story with drama you care about and characters that really fit well together.

It's interesting how it seems inevitable for most webcomics to hit some kind of maturation period, and that can make or break them.

Of course, back in 2009 OotS had already gone through most of its maturation, but that arc was good, it still feels a little frustrating to think back on because most of its major hooks never really went anywhere (yet) and the party came out of it worse than they went in. The comic continued to grow past that point though.

What happened with Erfworld?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ikanreed posted:

I know it's not relevant to your point, but it's not a "purple worm" which we've already seen the desert arc

I think it's a Nightcrawler: which is basically just an evil undead Purple Worm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cuntellectual posted:

What happened with Erfworld?
You know how every time Parson cleverly loopholed the rules, it required explaining rules on a slightly larger scale and with slightly more minutiae every time to keep it impressive? Yeah, that never stopped, and now it's a nuclear arms race between every major faction on who can exploit the basic laws of the universe harder. Charlie found a way to get underneath bedrock like it's loving Minecraft and used that to invent geothermal Juice so now his entire side has infinite magic, and this is a relatively minor plot point.

Also, art troubles, long delays, an increasingly ballooning cast, a lack of any coherent theme, and an unfailing dedication to spending entire updates seeing the same events through the eyes of different characters as they explain every thought they have.

Also also, Charlie is literally the Wizard of Oz. And I don't mean that he has the same character arc.

Also also also Rob keeps trying to use get rich quick schemes to fund the site, including his weird proprietary Patreon knockoff, and more recently, getting his readers to mine crypto for him in exchange for pictures of gem stones. (It actually even worked for a while. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.) He does this instead of using one of the several possible avenues at his disposal for streamlining costs and/or production.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 8, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also currently Erfworld is in the Infinite Prologue Crisis, in that Rob decided the next book would be about Erfworld's geopolitics and thought the best way to do that was to introduce every single other side and faction by spending a few pages presenting them before the action actually starts; and he has also decided to mix it up with what I guess are backers stories, so right now it's about some barbarian warlord captured by a side looking for Atlantis or something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pope Guilty posted:

That's really sweet. Burlew should be proud.

I think OOTS is genuine pop literature so I'm p happy about it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

sebmojo posted:

I legit love that kind of overcooked nonsense, it's very satisfying to read.

General Battuta did that, he also wrote/is writing the Baru Cormorant series.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

sebmojo posted:

How old was she when (she started on it / you decided she was ready for it)? Is there anything that particularly bothered her?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PMush Perfect posted:

You know how every time Parson cleverly loopholed the rules, it required explaining rules on a slightly larger scale and with slightly more minutiae every time to keep it impressive? Yeah, that never stopped, and now it's a nuclear arms race between every major faction on who can exploit the basic laws of the universe harder. Charlie found a way to get underneath bedrock like it's loving Minecraft and used that to invent geothermal Juice so now his entire side has infinite magic, and this is a relatively minor plot point.

Also, art troubles, long delays, an increasingly ballooning cast, a lack of any coherent theme, and an unfailing dedication to spending entire updates seeing the same events through the eyes of different characters as they explain every thought they have.

Also also, Charlie is literally the Wizard of Oz. And I don't mean that he has the same character arc.

Also also also Rob keeps trying to use get rich quick schemes to fund the site, including his weird proprietary Patreon knockoff, and more recently, getting his readers to mine crypto for him in exchange for pictures of gem stones. (It actually even worked for a while. I don't know if that makes it better or worse.) He does this instead of using one of the several possible avenues at his disposal for streamlining costs and/or production.

I stopped reading Erfworld years ago, but it's one of the best examples of a work deciding to be lovely fanwank instead of putting itself first.

In the finale of the first arc, the hero prince is the antagonist of the our neckbearded main character. The prince is a great warrior, handsome, well-regarded, etc. Neckbeard is a complete failure in our world, but he's been transported to this world, where his only skill, being good at RPGs and the like, is useful.

As the finale looms, the prince is getting the best of neckbeard, and the fans on the forums are freaking out. They really identify with neckbeard, and keep putting out all these posts like how he should be winning (based on *logic*) and threatening to quit reading the comic if things don't get more "realistic." The loving AUTHOR actually posts on the board to tell them not to worry, he's going to give them what they want. And of course, neckbeard does win, and next arc the hero prince is now a zombie slave.

The comic could've made an amazing point about how living your life only for games is a waste of time, and an even stronger point about wish fulfillment. It would've made for a legitimately great comic. But instead he catered to the wish fulfillment of his fans, and now he'll never be a real artist, just a schmuck with a half-successful webcomic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nah, I liked the ending of book 1. Parson WAS bested. Straight up the only way he was able to win was with a crazy gambit that was also probably a weapon of mass destruction, and definitely a war crime. I think the misstep came with the ending rewarding this action by giving Wanda her own world-breaking superpower. So, not only does Parson not have to deal with the consequences of that action in later books, his side continues their upward climb towards being an unstoppable superpower.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Are we bitching about Erfworld here? Someone complained at me for being negative in the actual Erfworld thread, but drat if that comic isn't the most frustrating thing. I really, really loved the first book or two, but that was because it was going to be a story about how a human can see through the logic of the wargame world to win battles. And then, after laying down this whole logical framework and showing how the wargame works, the next dozen plot points are decided by unpredictable asspulls that just ignore all the rules. And then everything that happens needs to be shown from a dozen different viewpoints while you're reading twenty pages about how the magic is killing the plot.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ride the worm

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I gave up on Erfworld pretty early, when they started doing important plot bits in huge walls of text, and it sounds like I made the right decision.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Seldom Posts posted:

I stopped reading Erfworld years ago, but it's one of the best examples of a work deciding to be lovely fanwank instead of putting itself first.

In the finale of the first arc, the hero prince is the antagonist of the our neckbearded main character. The prince is a great warrior, handsome, well-regarded, etc. Neckbeard is a complete failure in our world, but he's been transported to this world, where his only skill, being good at RPGs and the like, is useful.

As the finale looms, the prince is getting the best of neckbeard, and the fans on the forums are freaking out. They really identify with neckbeard, and keep putting out all these posts like how he should be winning (based on *logic*) and threatening to quit reading the comic if things don't get more "realistic." The loving AUTHOR actually posts on the board to tell them not to worry, he's going to give them what they want. And of course, neckbeard does win, and next arc the hero prince is now a zombie slave.

The comic could've made an amazing point about how living your life only for games is a waste of time, and an even stronger point about wish fulfillment. It would've made for a legitimately great comic. But instead he catered to the wish fulfillment of his fans, and now he'll never be a real artist, just a schmuck with a half-successful webcomic.

I don't really agree with the assessment that this is what happened (the author changing his plans to cater to his audience), or that every work has to be some sort of deconstruction to be meaningful. Also some people do make successful livings playing games 24/7 and have functioning relationships so I'm not even sure if its even agreeable on that level either.

Erfworld was early enough for me that I'm not going to retroactively blame it for like, the isekai anime genre being poo poo for the most part, but writing is more complicated then the idea that he absolutely should have had to write his comic a certain way. It sounds more like he stumbled the execution of his story not that the writing had some inherent flaw due to at least somewhat running with the wishfulfillment aspect and playing that part straight (Though I remember at the end of Part 1 when Parson could finally swear he had a realization that the people here were also people and that he was disgusted with how the RPG mechanics screwed with the people living there, so there was some amount of subversion to that).

I'm also think "he'll never be a real artist" is unnecessary gate keeping, all artists are valid, I just wouldn't pay money to most of them.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't really agree with the assessment that this is what happened (the author changing his plans to cater to his audience), or that every work has to be some sort of deconstruction to be meaningful. Also some people do make successful livings playing games 24/7 and have functioning relationships so I'm not even sure if its even agreeable on that level either.

Who said anything about deconstruction?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

Who said anything about deconstruction?

They described a common understanding as to what constitutes deconstructive fiction? Writing a work of wish fulfillment only to take it apart and undermine it and challenge the readers escapism is a common part of that.

Edit: It's why I said "some sort of".

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What pushed me away was the increasing drama, which happens to a lot of webcomics as they accumulate lore and backstory. Drama is a gravitational field that develops with size. Erfworld's drama always seemed weird and out of place, because it tended to forget how the setting and terminology were inherently silly. It's weird for these otherwise sexless meeples who pop out of the ether to have complicated sadomasochistic trysts.

At first it was easier to just skim over the weird asides because they were in a different format, but when the comic stopped...being a comic, there was nothing left to really differentiate them, and the main narrative had already lost a lot of its comedic aspects and I didn't really care much for the characters and their conflict.

Order of the Stick finds a better balance. In a way, getting too wrapped up in the drama of your own narrative is its own kind of immaturity. The characters all dip in and out between comedy and drama, and where once joking around was a sign of their lack of professionalism, it becomes part of their strength, their mastery over their own situation, and their comradery with eachother. Roy's mastery over his anger goes the other way, it was what gave him strength, but it also made him reckless, and as time has gone on, he learned to control his anger and call upon it at will without being carried away by it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

I gave up on Erfworld pretty early, when they started doing important plot bits in huge walls of text, and it sounds like I made the right decision.

I gave up after interacting with the author once.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Seldom Posts posted:

That was always the plan, though. The whole thing mirrored Parson's own game plan, which was to make an unfair and unwinnable scenario where the players could only win if they pulled some bullshit gambit he could never predict. So that what happened to him and he had to pull some bullshit gambit nobody in the game world could predict.

And then he's disgusted at the consequences of his win, because after winning the game he stops seeing it as a game. If there's anything that looks like a point about wish fulfillment in the comic, it's that : there's no fulfillment in wish fulfillment. He got what he wanted and that makes him horrified that he wanted it.

ikanreed posted:

I gave up after interacting with the author once.

Heh.

Yeah, Rob Balder's personality is probably the worst part of Erfworld.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cat Mattress posted:

That was always the plan, though. The whole thing mirrored Parson's own game plan, which was to make an unfair and unwinnable scenario where the players could only win if they pulled some bullshit gambit he could never predict. So that what happened to him and he had to pull some bullshit gambit nobody in the game world could predict.

And then he's disgusted at the consequences of his win, because after winning the game he stops seeing it as a game. If there's anything that looks like a point about wish fulfillment in the comic, it's that : there's no fulfillment in wish fulfillment. He got what he wanted and that makes him horrified that he wanted it.

I read through to the end of the next book, and I didn't see any consequences of the wish fulfillment. He actually finds out he's even more special from a cabal of wizards who all resemble famous cool people from our world.

It may have been the author's plan from the beginning, I will grant that, but the whole thing is about making neckbeards feel special, so it's never really going to be good. And it could've been, that what bugs me, I guess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I was just talking about the end of the first book, where he is disgusted at himself, throw away one of the cool cosplay gizmos he got (the sword), and curses the world.

Then Balder needed to keep the story running and things started going to poo poo, story-wise.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah, I liked the ending of book 1. Parson WAS bested. Straight up the only way he was able to win was with a crazy gambit that was also probably a weapon of mass destruction, and definitely a war crime. I think the misstep came with the ending rewarding this action by giving Wanda her own world-breaking superpower. So, not only does Parson not have to deal with the consequences of that action in later books, his side continues their upward climb towards being an unstoppable superpower.

To be fair, at that point it was pretty unambiguously not a reward for Parson. It was mostly just really disturbing that he enabled a sadistic zombie queen's rise to power and potentially created an apocalyptic scenario where the entire world becomes her slaves.

But then he more or less treats it as "woo, look at all the cool things I can do with all these people I've had murdered and brainwashed!"

I mostly just think of the story after that as fanfic of decreasing quality, lol.

PMush Perfect posted:

Somehow this is this worst. He's hiring someone to teach his whole team how to do 3D modeling of cities for establishing shots, but printing a book and then selling it? That's just so hard.

And he gets really personal whenever anyone says it's a bad idea, too.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

sebmojo posted:

So, your daughter was born around the time Roy got resurrected...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I used to really like Partially Clips and it's sad that this is where Rob Balder's come to.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As far as I'm concerned Erfworld never stopped being good, and the only thing it lacks is a business model that doesn't make my face wrinkle up with concern, and an extended monologue from Cubbins about how hats are the foundation of all reality and how much he wants to smooch Ace Hardware.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The first book I think is solid and ends well, it has a payoff to it; the switch from webcomic to a proto-Light Novel format made me lose interest to keep up with it as I already have many things to read.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The sad part about ErfWorld for me is that there are still sparks of something great every so often, especially with some of the original Gobwin Knob crew. Stanley's been going through a whole arc of learning to respect and trust his underlings (as well as angst about rapidly becoming no-longer-the-most-important-person-in-the-room), and meanwhile Charlie is starting to get hit by the fallout of building his entire side around a cult of personality. If somebody went at Erfworld's plot with a chainsaw, there's probably still a good story under all the cancerous fanwank growths.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The thing about webcomics is that you don't have an editor. Many of the greatest science fiction or fantasy writers had access to dedicated editors who could tell them no or to rewrite unworkable aspects of the writing. Precious few webcomic authors have the skill to write and be able to restrain themselves and I think of that as an, mitigating context.

I personally think sloppy writing can be in the Web novel/webcomic context is forgivable since they don't have those tools; so we can better appreciate the rare few like Rich that end up writing amazing narratives despite lacking an editor that happens to hold up well years later. It's a part of the charm that the writing is a bit of a stream of consciousness and ad hoc; its a labour of love writing them and a labour of love to trudge through the muck to find the not-bad ones to the pretty drat good ones.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I didn't mind the shift to becoming more of an illustrated novel -- the world is charming and interesting enough that I usually prefer the text updates to the comics just because there's so much more room to share stuff. But over time, they turned into a chore to read through because less and less would happen during each one, and half the time they'd just be a boring treatise on how powerful magic was.

PMush Perfect posted:

The sad part about ErfWorld for me is that there are still sparks of something great every so often... If somebody went at Erfworld's plot with a chainsaw, there's probably still a good story under all the cancerous fanwank growths.

This sums it up perfectly. Despite everything, I still want to know more about the world and why it was made and how the cast is going to deal with Charlie and Wanda. We've just spent so long with the plot deep in the weeds that its hard to care anymore. I would love an abridged Erfworld where they just cut out almost all the viewpoints of people who weren't in the first book. He needs to figure out how to tell his story from the perspective of the people we care about without involving the innermost thoughts of all the people we don't. And it looks like he's planning on doing exactly the opposite of this. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I was a big fan of Erfworld for the longest time and it's only the most recent chapters that caused me to give it up. The new text dump pages that are introducing new sides and characters are just bloating the story even more and it's hard to care anymore.

I feel for Balder due to his wife's health issues and the hell they've gone through in recent years, which makes it all the harder to give up on the series, but I've lost interest.

If the story returns to the cast of the series instead of random goobers on islands in the middle of the nowhere, then I may pick it up again.