Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Franchescanado posted:

What’s it like living in a Troma movie?

It's not great.

So basically the history of this town is that it used to be a big industrial town and many decades ago there were a bunch of factories along a river and they were just like "Hey we can just throw our industrial waste right in there!" because there was no pesky EPA at the time. When they didn't dump it in the river they just dumped it in big open fields. There was a movie theater next to one such area and right in the parking lot there was a lovely little thin wire fence surrounding a big empty field with huge signs warning you not to go into that field because it was toxic. They cleaned that up about 20 years ago and it's a solar farm now. But most of the contaminated areas are still a problem. When that middle school was opening up there were protests and they still opened it and it continues to operate today. The high school across the street had already been there for decades (and it's sinking by the way.). The contaminated land the middle school is on was a kid's soccer field for a long time. The athletic fields for the high school are also in the contaminated area as well. There is a government housing project there as well. The city (and probably the state) continues to not give a poo poo about any of this.

precision posted:

Is sort of interesting how even if someone is over 70 and had a great life, it's still "what the gently caress cancer, leave him alone"

Like I'm sad about Alex too but this culture of death worship is getting weird

It's not like cancer victims just peacefully die in their sleep one day. It's a horrible ordeal and the treatments aren't much better, you loving psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

someone once gave me an interesting counter-argument to this, which is that people besides young men (and white young men in particular) deserve to have mediocre throw-away entertainment too; it's still progress, still a good thing, and we shouldn't criticize it for that

i don't agree, but i do agree with one of the underlying premises, which is that things should be treated fairly; mediocrity should be criticized no matter who it's meant for :v:

I think there's a close version of this argument that's also worthwhile. As bad as it is that corporations have such a hold over public mythology, public mythology is still important, and so it is valuable that marginalized people are represented in this public mythology however insincerely. Reminds me of something Charles Mills said about liberalism: the system is still going to be poo poo and exploitative, but we can still make it a fair bit better, especially for some of the worst off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When you post things like "you loving psycho" are you exaggerating for effect orrrrrrrrrrr

And all I mean is that it's weird to me that people act surprised when old people die or get sick, and also feel the need to post about that person in Literally Every Thread On SA.

I know cancer sucks, my mom has it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What age is the cutoff where people can stop giving a poo poo that someone gets cancer?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

When you post things like "you loving psycho" are you exaggerating for effect orrrrrrrrrrr

And all I mean is that it's weird to me that people act surprised when old people die or get sick, and also feel the need to post about that person in Literally Every Thread On SA.

I know cancer sucks, my mom has it.

I thought you were just hand waving that he had cancer like it was no big deal because he's old which would be terrible. Sorry. People are talking about it because it's sad and everyone likes Alex Trebek.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Detective No. 27 posted:

I may be extremely online but I at least limit myself to only being on Twitter while I'm on the clock.

With my job I try to save my onlineness for when I’m working so that when I’m free I have time to do people stuff, like read books and watch movies or TV. I’m thinking about getting into Skins.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

It’s worse elsewhere on the internet. Everyone on Twitter was every dead celebrity’s biggest fan, apparently.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s worse elsewhere on the internet. Everyone on Twitter was every dead celebrity’s biggest fan, apparently.

Haha yeah I know, it's so weird to me

But yeah Alex trebek is awesome

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The reactionary response to it seems in line with millennials and younger feeling like the world’s ending and the older generations aren’t doing anything about it. While the media kinda feels like it would rather destroy the world than let a new generation have precedence, and so Trebek falls into a place where the “deal” over something like this is treated as yet another shock, which to the young, seems like a shock the old can ill afford.

My great uncle and grand father both just passed away this last year and they both had very different (in my opinion, healthy) attitudes and expectations about death that the boomers seem to lack.

So sometimes when people make a big deal about someone much older getting an illness associated with older people, in the current climate, it can almost feel like people are saying “all this is normal and okay, but Alex Trebek? He can’t get cancer that’s not fair!”

Of course that’s from hearing the words in a void and angrily lashing out at them, but that’s to be expected in a world where most people don’t get to ask for emotional support from their fans, but still get cancer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

also i'm gonna be real here for a sec: you never really know which one of these is gonna hit you hard. I'm not, like, a The Prodigy superfan, I know and like their big hits but that's about it, but seeing that that dude killed himself at 49 kinda knocked the wind out of me.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also i'm gonna be real here for a sec: you never really know which one of these is gonna hit you hard. I'm not, like, a The Prodigy superfan, I know and like their big hits but that's about it, but seeing that that dude killed himself at 49 kinda knocked the wind out of me.

That’s very true and very fair. Even to have a reactionary response suggests its hitting something painful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wait he committed suicide

That's hosed mate

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Bout to see Greta

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1154182684/trains-and-cinema?ref=hero_thanks

Serge Bromberg of Lobster Films launched a kickstarter to digitally restore/remaster 100 films about trains. Before you make any jokes, this is a pretty cool project. Among the films in the project will be The Great Train Robbery (from the 35mm nitrate camera negative!), John Ford's The Iron Horse, and Lumiere's Arrival of a Train.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah the guy from Frightened Rabbit upset me and I only knew one of their songs

To be fair it was Head Rolls Off

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’ll say it: with the right soundtrack, the Great Train Robbery fucks

fake edit: I kinda wanna cut together a soundtrack from Train songs

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I saw The General once put to a really interesting midi score. Greed and Metropolis are two silent features that have some great variations out there. The Johnny Greenwood version of Greed is fantastic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Great music scores can really take a silent film that extra mile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmguKYdwF7k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgyLwF_i5oY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghf_6pl-uF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBYJNAapyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEEOEnAmGl8&t=98s

It's kind of a shame composers like Carl Davis and Timothy Brock aren't that well known outside of silent film buff circles since their music is ever bit as great as regular film compositions.

And while I know a lot of people love the new scores for Metropolis, the original Gottfried Huppertz score is loving incredible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPNaaogT8fs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are there any old silent films where the film itself is lost but the music was preserved either through recordings or sheet music?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As someone whose mid-90s hotmail account name comes from a pair of Black Fly sunglasses sitting on the 12" for Voodoo People on my computer desk, that one hit me pretty hard. What was more amazing to me was that Keith was only 11 years older than me, partly because he was such a crazy beast on stage I guess I never really associated age with him.

I first saw The Prodigy play a "sponsored" warehouse rave when I was 15 or so, probably a year or two before Fat of the Land came out. That show blew me away and in a second this young stupid punk and hip hop kid all of the sudden started devouring electronic releases left and right. It was one of those loves that you only have as a teen - comically brief looking back, but burnt hotter than the twin suns of Tatooine at the time.

I should probably put on Jilted Generation again this weekend, but I sort of enjoy how that album, and a few others, are forever burnt in a specific time and place in my memory. I'm sure it won't hold up, but what does?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Leave Kevin alone! He doesn't do anything but get poo poo on. He's decent enough at his job that he dual wields calculators. The only problem would be the annual pot luck where you have to pay for the carpet to be steamed.

I like uk keith better though.

Funny enough this is basically the plot to birdman.

Keith's advice to Tim on how to woo Dawn is, uh, something.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

someone once gave me an interesting counter-argument to this, which is that people besides young men (and white young men in particular) deserve to have mediocre throw-away entertainment too; it's still progress, still a good thing, and we shouldn't criticize it for that

i don't agree, but i do agree with one of the underlying premises, which is that things should be treated fairly; mediocrity should be criticized no matter who it's meant for :v:

i feel like Netflix or some other streaming service could make a killing making Hallmark movies that aren't aimed at white christians. I know they've already done some Hallmark style Christmas movies but after the last couple of years where there have been movies like Love Simon or To All The Boys I Loved Before which are perfectly fine examples of their genre that were notable because normally those don't star Asian girls and/or are not about gay relationships. Hallmark's factory-line movies are obviously really popular so taking that and aiming them at groups that aren't in the traditional Hallmark viewing categories should be a no brainer, especially since they're not expensive to make.

Hallmark makes something stupid like 80-90 movies a year for their two channels, with Netflix's budget they could easily nail that

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Netflix actually does have a whole bunch of Japanese and Korean romance/drama TV shows.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

And while I know a lot of people love the new scores for Metropolis, the original Gottfried Huppertz score is loving incredible:

Yeah, it's pretty magical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VxgQN2GfMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrFBId1b8U0

(2001 Restored version had the best trailer)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 8, 2019

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Prodigy literally are one of two groups that got me into electronic music. I hated it at first and even thought Firestarter was laughable but I liked Breathe and a friend at camp had the album so I borrowed and loving loved it. The same summer I bought an Orbital album because I had liked a few songs I had heard by them and after that I was hooked. Prodigy were 90s enough that it's not surprising they didn't really manage to keep up their popularity (the loooong break after their big album probably didn't help) but they still never released a bad album and I always enjoyed listening to them. The Prodigy meant a lot to me and it is just so hosed this happened.

ANYWAYS speaking of music, this is a weird cross promotion

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The guy from Frightened Rabbit killed himself too?! God drat it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

precision posted:

The guy from Frightened Rabbit killed himself too?! God drat it

Yeah, seriously. What the gently caress is going on out here.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, seriously. What the gently caress is going on out here.

suicide is a loving epidemic. i feel like we don't talk about it enough because there are other epidemics (obesity, opioids) that get more attention but it really is an epidemic.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

axelblaze posted:

Prodigy literally are one of two groups that got me into electronic music. I hated it at first and even thought Firestarter was laughable but I liked Breathe and a friend at camp had the album so I borrowed and loving loved it. The same summer I bought an Orbital album because I had liked a few songs I had heard by them and after that I was hooked. Prodigy were 90s enough that it's not surprising they didn't really manage to keep up their popularity (the loooong break after their big album probably didn't help) but they still never released a bad album and I always enjoyed listening to them. The Prodigy meant a lot to me and it is just so hosed this happened.

ANYWAYS speaking of music, this is a weird cross promotion

Firestarter will be forever associated with this video for me.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm getting a decent amount from my tax returns so I'm treating myself to a new TV, my current one probably is about 10 years old and a piddling 24 in, so I'm excited to upgrade to a 42 incher. What brands are good? I'm looking at the TCL right now but I figured you all would know the best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DC Murderverse posted:

suicide is a loving epidemic. i feel like we don't talk about it enough because there are other epidemics (obesity, opioids) that get more attention but it really is an epidemic.

This feel really dour these days. I can’t speak for everyone but I really don’t see a lot of hope these days.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

I feel like everything going to poo poo and all the stuff about how climate change related disasters are going to cause the collapse of civilization in the next decade isn't really doing wonders for people that are prone to suicide.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

This feel really dour these days. I can’t speak for everyone but I really don’t see a lot of hope these days.

I mean I do but it involves a lot of uh, let's call them "victimless crimes" being committed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Firestarter will be forever associated with this video for me.

Knew what it was before I clicked it

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
On the bright side, we're probably the last generation who will die of old age!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Great music scores can really take a silent film that extra mile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmguKYdwF7k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgyLwF_i5oY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghf_6pl-uF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBYJNAapyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEEOEnAmGl8&t=98s

It's kind of a shame composers like Carl Davis and Timothy Brock aren't that well known outside of silent film buff circles since their music is ever bit as great as regular film compositions.

The original score has what none of others can have: zero foreknowledge of the next two decades. There’s a different tone in most of the new ones I’ve seen. I love it personally.

CelticPredator posted:

Well suicide does have a feedback tendency where one causes more. So hopelessness in the face of it makes sense. Successful or not there is real resistance to the idea that this isn’t a healthy way to live. Most people who can buy their time or work hard if they are able to cope that way will and that masks some of the broadness I think of the problem. Younger kids demonstrate it in their escapism pretty well: they’d rather have almost anything else.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

I feel like everything going to poo poo and all the stuff about how climate change related disasters are going to cause the collapse of civilization in the next decade isn't really doing wonders for people that are prone to suicide.

No fuckin kidding. I don’t think a day has gone by since the last IPCC report came out that I haven’t thought about the approaching hellscape. It owns that nearly 40% of people my age and younger are afraid to have kids. Watching First Reformed didn’t help.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

On the bright side, we're probably the last generation who will die of old age!

Sure, if you manage to avoid the cannibals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

No fuckin kidding. I don’t think a day has gone by since the last IPCC report came out that I haven’t thought about the approaching hellscape. It owns that nearly 40% of people my age and younger are afraid to have kids. Watching First Reformed didn’t help.

if the predictions really are as bad as they say, and we genuinely do nothing/not enough to help over the next 10 years, First Reformed is going to be considered a masterpiece. it's one of the few pieces of media that have the appropriate amount of anger about the whole "we have destroyed the world and now we get to watch it burn" thing, even Actual Global Warming Polemic An Inconvenient Sequel didn't feel the proper amount of anger.