Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
When I was still playing Magic the Gathering, I always bought the package deal that's something like three bosters + the novel + a specially designed life counter for each set. That's pretty nerdy.

A few years later, when I attended my first pen and paper session, I realized that the "life counter" can be used for something else as well. That's pretty stupid.

(they were D20s with the 20 replaced with the current set's symbol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shut up, nerds.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Simply Simon posted:

When I was still playing Magic the Gathering, I always bought the package deal that's something like three bosters + the novel + a specially designed life counter for each set. That's pretty nerdy.

A few years later, when I attended my first pen and paper session, I realized that the "life counter" can be used for something else as well. That's pretty stupid.

You can't use spindown dice for anything else because the numbers aren't random.
:goonsay:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aleph Null posted:

At least Vampire used D6 for everything.

Edit: I stole the D6 dice from every board game in my house when I was running Vampire.

What version of Vampire were you playing? VtM has always used d10s exclusively. :psyduck:

https://i.imgur.com/vbA2dYY.mp4

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Mar 7, 2019

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just generate random numbers on your phone, idiots.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://orokos.com/roll/

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
or you can just google "dice roller" and the first link is a WOTC dice roller for your browser (that doesn't require a login)

it's 2019 and people who paid ten bucks to post on a forum are still tripping over each other to prove they're not nerdy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

madeintaipei posted:

You are awful. Awfully punny. Is your AV some kind of Trailer Park Boys comic? Did Randy die for my burgers?

That's Jughead. He doesn't have the beanie crown on his head because I think he took it off to pay respects (IIRC it's a dream sequence anyway).

Paladinus posted:

I started typing random numbers on my phone and now I've been charged with making nuisance calls to 911. I see now you meant "use a random number generator".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm a teacher and have a couple of D20s in my classroom for maths games that the kids all fight over because they fuckin love D20s. Even when the game is like "roll 2 dice and practice your multiplication" they still fight for that poo poo. So maybe gripweed was right is what I'm saying.

I also have a bunch of d10s and a few d12s because they're actually the best options for maths games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paladinus posted:

You're the guy who will spend 20 hours designing and printing something on their 3D printer instead of fabricating it from cheap stuff in 2 minutes.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

I thought it was a little dude in the corner until I opened full size, and it's a lady with a grin and very... determined body language.

#BraveEnough

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Besesoth posted:

What version of Vampire were you playing? VtM has always used d10s exclusively. :psyduck:

https://i.imgur.com/vbA2dYY.mp4
Quite the emotional love story:

I'm in love! I've never felt so uplifted and free....
*heart goes straight for the trash*
*then even lower in the gutter*
...oh..oh I'm feeling better now! yeah things are looking up! ZZZZAPPPP

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Perfectly average house:

I wanna flip that table to calculate exactly how hosed something is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dienes posted:

You can't use spindown dice for anything else because the numbers aren't random.
:goonsay:

So long as it's made properly the actual position of the numbers is meaningless.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

#BigEnough

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

or you can just google "dice roller" and the first link is a WOTC dice roller for your browser (that doesn't require a login)

The login is good though, it means you can have an auditable log of all of someone's rolls, or all rolls for a particular campaign/thread/whatever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Besesoth posted:

No, you're right. It was Shadowrun that I stole the dice for, but we played version 1991 original VtM.

You know: https://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/steve-vampire-twink/1/

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I played Shadowrun back in the day and our GM misread the rules for throwing grenades. According to him, a d6 roll would basically determine which cardinal direction the grenade would go from where you were facing. Really bad situation and resulted in our NEVER throwing them. Instead, we'd roll to see how close we could get without getting shot from an enemy, and drop them at their feet or shove them down their shirts and run away. It honestly worked better.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I played Shadowrun back in the day and our GM misread the rules for throwing grenades. According to him, a d6 roll would basically determine which cardinal direction the grenade would go from where you were facing. Really bad situation and resulted in our NEVER throwing them. Instead, we'd roll to see how close we could get without getting shot from an enemy, and drop them at their feet or shove them down their shirts and run away. It honestly worked better.

How did he think there were six cardinal directions? It's either 4 or 8.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

How did he think there were six cardinal directions? It's either 4 or 8.

North, west, south, east, up and down. Duh.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

DandyLion posted:

Isn't the average closer to D5.5?

i thought the average was D4? this is very concerning

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
WHY ARE THERE ONLY 4 PEDALS IF THERE ARE 6 DIRECTIONS?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

North, west, south, east, up and down. Duh.

Lessee you rolled a 6 uhh NWSEUD OK you got some VERY surprised guy in Australia.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This is great. YouTube will ban you for "repetitive content" if you have a cool channel showing people how to play piano. But ten hours of the same 30 seconds of a film clip looped over and over again? Fine.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rysithusiku posted:

WHY ARE THERE ONLY 4 PEDALS IF THERE ARE 6 DIRECTIONS?

Ma'am you're driving an upright piano

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

You loving dickheads just can’t stop at all, can you. You treat derails like you treat all-you-can-eat buffets. You keep going way beyond what’s healthy, and right on through until everyone around you is disgusted. That is why you are shapeless blobs both physically and mentally. You absolute mockeries of humanity. I hope you don’t do this is any situations that actually matter.

Please understand that everyone important in your lives holds you in the highest contempt

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Who What Now posted:

So long as it's made properly the actual position of the numbers is meaningless.

Chessex dice are made by fusing two halves. The result is that the two opposite faces farthest from the seam are more likely to come up than the numbers around the seam. So the company put 1 on one of those faces and 20 on the other. The dice are technically fair in that the mean etc of a bunch of rolls is correct, but the position of the numbers absolutely matters.

You can go "well those aren't properly made" but the point is finding definitely truly random dice is harder than it sounds.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's not like a computer random number generator is actually random either

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

The main problem with rolling spin down dice to randomly determine something like a player going first in a game, is that people can pretty easily learn how to roll it such that it lands on the high half of the die. Clumping similar numbers together just makes it easier to cheat, it's not an effect on the actual randomness (barring manufacturing quirks, but those don't really matter if both players roll in good faith).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

freeedr posted:

You loving dickheads just can’t stop at all, can you. You treat derails like you treat all-you-can-eat buffets. You keep going way beyond what’s healthy, and right on through until everyone around you is disgusted. That is why you are shapeless blobs both physically and mentally. You absolute mockeries of humanity. I hope you don’t do this is any situations that actually matter.

Please understand that everyone important in your lives holds you in the highest contempt

Roll for initiative motherfucker

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ShadeofBlue posted:

The main problem with rolling spin down dice to randomly determine something like a player going first in a game, is that people can pretty easily learn how to roll it such that it lands on the high half of the die. Clumping similar numbers together just makes it easier to cheat, it's not an effect on the actual randomness (barring manufacturing quirks, but those don't really matter if both players roll in good faith).

Just use a dice tower if you don't trust your friends

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Gripweed posted:

It's not like a computer random number generator is actually random either

Some actually are, by generating output from timing between decay events of a radioactive sample. Even seeding a normal PRNG off the least significant digits of the temperature probe on the CPU is good enough for gaming.

Not that this is at all relevant to my post or the one I was replying to.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Everything is predetermined by the Creator and it is impossible to have a random dice roll.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

jobson groeth posted:

Everything is predetermined by the Creator and it is impossible to have a random dice roll.

Exactly. Either everything is determined by god or life is meaningless and absurd.

Either way, just play with whatever dice you think look the coolest

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jobson groeth posted:

Why did he make you such a pillock

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Ah the old chase it across the hardwood floor die.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

The Bloop posted:

God rolled a natural 1 for Charisma when he was filling out Bloop's character sheet.

e: mine too

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

The Bloop posted:

I'm here specifically to annoy the poo poo out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

D20s are designed so that the opposite sides always add up to 21 - spindown dice are designed the opposite way, so that all the largest numbers are together and you can sequentially rotate from 20 down to 1 one number at a time. Do not use your spindowns to generate random numbers