Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Eglamore posted:

Yeah, Hannah Barberra cartoons sucked, but you have to remember that they were WORLDS better than what they were replacing. I'm talking 1960 "Synchro-vox" which was basically the old Conan O'Brien Arnold Schwarzenegger bit but an entire cartoon. It was basically animation, without animating anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTQI_XjoSSY

The Hannah Barberra cartoons were some of the first cartoons made for TV specifically, and the quality was super low because they had no budget. Specifically, every Hannah Barberra character had a necktie or a collar or a shirt, so they could use different frames for the head and body. It's garbage, but it's all animated at least. It's also why 1980's animation is so stilted, and why early anime is all robots...it's easier and faster to draw cheaply.

It’s worth mentioning that synchro-vox was invented by an animator with a deaf child because he wanted cartoons that they could watch together (the kid could read the lips on the human mouth). It surely entered production because it was cheap, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I rewatched Death Note (or rather, the good early part where L is alive) recently and I had forgotten how like half the show is practically static shots. The camera flying around and the ott orchestral music create a sense of action that the animation doesn’t.

There’s so much internal monologuing that you often don’t even see characters’ lips moving.

That show peaked in the second episode when L took about 5 minutes to figure out that the anonymous killer somehow murdering people around the world was a college kid in one neighborhood in Japan.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I had no idea that that synchro-vox thing had ever been used for anything other than intentional shonkiness

Barry Foster has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Mar 7, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Samuringa posted:

There's a dialogue scene in Evangelion where two characters are in an elevator, with their backs turned to us

See this is good. You want them to spend their money animating the giant robot eating an angel's heart, not two people talking.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There was this weird action movie trend in the 90s where they'd have the main actor play twins. It added nothing to the story and seemed to be there so they could do wacky twin hijinks. Maybe Sister Sister influenced a lot of people. Sad that Steven Segal didn't do one because you know he doesn't have the range to play two people and he wouldn't want to play the wimpy twin.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There were two versions of the concept that I’m sad never happened. One was a movie where Harrison Ford is an aging secret agent and evil spies wake up a frozen clone of him made when he was in his prime and they have to fight. The young Harrison Ford would have been voiced by Ford and made out of archival footage from Star Wars and American Graffiti. I guess the technology wasn’t good enough by Ford’s expiration date.

The other was a Rambo sequel in space where he has to fight an evil clone made to be a mind-controlled ultimate soldier. Sly plays both parts and wins in the end by talking him down and explaining that they made him into a killer too, but he learned to become his own person. I guess that one didn’t get made because it’s loving bonkers and has no reason to be in space.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The preview image of that youtube link is an enormous scrotum photo so not only did I click on it but I'm now fired and also dead

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gaunab posted:

There was this weird action movie trend in the 90s where they'd have the main actor play twins. It added nothing to the story and seemed to be there so they could do wacky twin hijinks. Maybe Sister Sister influenced a lot of people. Sad that Steven Segal didn't do one because you know he doesn't have the range to play two people and he wouldn't want to play the wimpy twin.

It's also disappointing because this would have been a masterpiece of disaster art.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The Bloop posted:

The preview image of that youtube link is an enormous scrotum photo so not only did I click on it but I'm now fired and also dead

rip

Ok I didn't realise the forums did youtube links, I'll edit it out

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gaunab posted:

The Van Damme one is loving awesome, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

There were two versions of the concept that I’m sad never happened. One was a movie where Harrison Ford is an aging secret agent and evil spies wake up a frozen clone of him made when he was in his prime and they have to fight. The young Harrison Ford would have been voiced by Ford and made out of archival footage from Star Wars and American Graffiti. I guess the technology wasn’t good enough by Ford’s expiration date.

I was going to mock you because Termination Salvation did that, but then I remembered instead of old Arnold fighting young Arnold it was young Arnold fighting Batman.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

purple death ray posted:

See this is good. You want them to spend their money animating the giant robot eating an angel's heart, not two people talking.

I remember really liking Evangelion in highschool but I rewatched it after Pacific Rim and there is nowhere near as much giant angel fighting as I remember.

Can that count as not aging well?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My recollection is that every other episode is a robo battle and the others are still pictures of angsty people and/or PenPen

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

My recollection is that every other episode is a robo battle and the others are still pictures of angsty people and/or PenPen

To be fair penpen was great. I had a :krad: AIM buddy icon that was a penpen

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Bloop posted:

This feels a little generous if anything. These days you can just watch the rebuild movies and they're some of the slickest most expensive looking animation I've ever seen. The movies don't include "both of you, dance like you want to win", so expensive animation or not the original show is still irreplaceable.

E: my favorite Eva shortcut is the sex scene (?) with Misato and her ex where the camera just holds on their clothes or something the entire scene. There might be a cigarette smoking in an ashtray but otherwise there's nothing moving on screen for like five minutes.

(?) is because I'm honestly not sure what exactly was supposed to be happening there because it's just a cigarette burning

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Mar 7, 2019

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

It’s worth mentioning that synchro-vox was invented by an animator with a deaf child because he wanted cartoons that they could watch together (the kid could read the lips on the human mouth). It surely entered production because it was cheap, though.

That's incredibly wholesome, but good god I can't imagine how much cheaper this was that something so intrinsically terrifying made it to broadcast.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

I mean, pretty much anything. Taking 80s/90s anime - I haven't watched much of it beyond the most obvious examples, but they all tend to do similar things. What immediately comes to mind is stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Batle Angel Alita, and very notably Akira. I remember rewatching an episode of Cowboy Bebop on Netflix recently while high, and zoning out on the foreground action (as one does). I noticed that the background cities were floating platforms because the episode was set in the upper atmosphere of Venus. The colouring and drawing had an appropriately hazy feel to it too. Maybe this was blatantly obvious to more observant viewers, but it blew my mind.

Even something like Ulysses 31 had some mad poo poo going on in the background, IIRC. It stands out against Transformers and the like, which - in hindsight - was mostly just 'desert mesas on a blue sky'

Inuyasha had a lot of good backgrounds. They'd do a fair amount of long shots of backgrounds, especially near the beginning, to save money. The ones of the past were especially pretty. They also used them to help establish and reinforce the difference between the Edo era and modern Tokyo. Always felt like it was one of the shows that used cost-cutting like that to their advantage really well. Honestly, Inuyasha could be really pretty in general.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Araenna posted:

Inuyasha had a lot of good backgrounds. They'd do a fair amount of long shots of backgrounds, especially near the beginning, to save money. The ones of the past were especially pretty. They also used them to help establish and reinforce the difference between the Edo era and modern Tokyo. Always felt like it was one of the shows that used cost-cutting like that to their advantage really well. Honestly, Inuyasha could be really pretty in general.

I got sucked into Inuyasha when Toonami started airing it at night, and 100% agree. It's very pretty when it wants to be, but good grief that show starts to drag. I never could finish it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Evangelion is famous in that the last half of the show ran out of money so they had to do what they could with the very little cash they had on hand. It’s a good show but no one praises it for the animation as they just didn’t have the budget for it.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Speaking of cheap animation, do you guys remember when Marvel and DC tried to push motion comics? Basically they would take their published comics and add voice actors with a minimum amount of editing. During action scenes they would have characters just slide around in the panels.

I could only find fan made versions on YouTube, but this is essentially what the big publishers were trying to sell to people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S6_Tu5XYcs

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Bogus Adventure posted:

I got sucked into Inuyasha when Toonami started airing it at night, and 100% agree. It's very pretty when it wants to be, but good grief that show starts to drag. I never could finish it.

It's a Rumiko Takahashi joint, they're legally obligated to have several hundred episodes each

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Watchmen Motion Comic is surprisingly good in places. The comic doesn't have much action and a lot of the panel transitions correspond to camera movements (zoom in / out, pans) so the limitations of motion comics aren't as much of a problem. It's also quite bad in places; there's no female voice actor, for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yw9Lf0z4N8

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

purple death ray posted:

It's a Rumiko Takahashi joint, they're legally obligated to have several hundred episodes each

This is true

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bogus Adventure posted:

It's the fate of any anime that has to drag things out while waiting for the manga artist to put out the next chapter. I really adored Inuyasha but I think I'd only rewatch it if it were edited for pacing now that it's finished.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

The other was a Rambo sequel in space where he has to fight an evil clone made to be a mind-controlled ultimate soldier. Sly plays both parts and wins in the end by talking him down and explaining that they made him into a killer too, but he learned to become his own person. I guess that one didn’t get made because it’s loving bonkers and has no reason to be in space.

God I wish this had been filmed. gently caress it, what's Sly doing now anyways?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's because it literally was a D&D campaign adaptation, iirc.

So was The Slayers.

The latter novels even basically have a giant meta plot about it:
The 4 gods of the setting are literally the GMs in a struggle about what part of the adventures should take precedence with each also having favorite characters they want in the spotlight. In one of the books their bickering actually creates a full Deus ex machina because they decide the current adventure isn't working and they need to start a new one.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

I had no idea that that synchro-vox thing had ever been used for anything other than intentional shonkiness

If you have Roku, there's a Clutch Cargo channel.

Trust me, there's a lot more than just Synchro Vox that hasn't aged well. If there's a stereotype, it probably showed up on the show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

It's the fate of any anime that has to drag things out while waiting for the manga artist to put out the next chapter. I really adored Inuyasha but I think I'd only rewatch it if it were edited for pacing now that it's finished.

:same: I did enjoy the Shippo episodes that bought them some time, but mainly because Shippo slowly won over my heart as the best of the companions.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

ryonguy posted:

God I wish this had been filmed. gently caress it, what's Sly doing now anyways?

Making that Rambo: Last Blood where he fights Mexico? They should just make Rambo X: In Space: Space Blood because it’s not like there’s any sanctity left in that franchise

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Wait a minute.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Jason X was a cinematic masterpiece :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Barry Foster posted:

Actually, I say 'anime or anime-inflected' but now that I think about it the golden age Tex Avery stuff had really cool and often surrealistic background art as well.

Did someone say surrealistic animation ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_TlaxmOKqs

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

grittyreboot posted:

Speaking of cheap animation, do you guys remember when Marvel and DC tried to push motion comics? Basically they would take their published comics and add voice actors with a minimum amount of editing. During action scenes they would have characters just slide around in the panels.

I could only find fan made versions on YouTube, but this is essentially what the big publishers were trying to sell to people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S6_Tu5XYcs

https://youtu.be/MMjn0PobLsc

DC tried this in the late 70s when Nickelodeon was just starting.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the worst things that happened to animation was when people decided that cartoons were for kids. The original stuff from the golden age of animation was intended for general audiences and like was said was theatrical. It was also a much bigger deal when it started; this is where you get people like Tex Avery that just kind of had huge budgets and the freedom to do basically whatever they wanted. Avery himself did a lot of pioneering stuff as he was like "it's just drawings so you can do absolutely anything in a cartoon." Obviously there were people trying to figure out how to do it cheaper as animation is expensive. The 1960's was when things really went to poo poo partly because of lower budgets but partly because cartoons were increasingly targeted toward children. One of the reasons for that was because the attitude was that children are stupid and will watch basically anything so long as characters say funny things and there are bright colors. This is where the Saturday morning cartoon thing came along; you had a race to the bottom to produce cartoons as cheaply as possible. This is why there are a trillion Hannah-Barbara cartoons that all have basically the same style. It was meant to be as simple as possible with some pretty specific innovations to make cartoons quickly and cheaply.

Then that all coalesced into the 1980's cartoons we all know that were just toy commercials. The return on investment on a lovely cartoon that existed solely to push plastic on kids was massive. Masters of the Universe was like a billion dollar franchise in the 80's. The animators were told to trace whenever possible and actively avoid drawing anything new and holy crap does it show. Of course if you're like 5 you probably won't notice and the cartoons will be amusing. I think this is where a lot of the nostalgia comes from; the shows are fun to watch if you have a single digit in your age and the toys are fun to play with so of course people are going to look back on it fondly. Scooby Doo in particular is one of the most popular shows like ever but the quality of animation is terrible.

I think another key factor is the voice acting. 80s cartoons were often badly-animated drivel, but they tended to have pretty good casts so the nonsense scripts at least got bolstered by some talent and effort.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Evangelion is famous in that the last half of the show ran out of money so they had to do what they could with the very little cash they had on hand. It’s a good show but no one praises it for the animation as they just didn’t have the budget for it.

I can see why it annoyed people but the last episode being the characters having an introspective psychological breakdown while the world basically comes to an end just off-screen was kinda rad.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:42 on Mar 8, 2019

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The only episode of Evangelion I saw was the the final episode and hearing that show was about robots fighting angels man what the gently caress

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

John Murdoch posted:

I can see why it annoyed people but the last episode being the characters having an introspective psychological breakdown while the world basically comes to an end just off-screen was kinda rad.
Yeah I much prefer the ending in the show to the movie version.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The first cartoon I can remember thinking "hey that's pretty cheap and lazy" is the original spider Man cartoon when they used the exact same backgrounds and certain animations for dementia 5 lifted frame for frame from rocket Robin hood (or the reverse, my memory is hazy).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CharlestheHammer posted:

They make up for it with the movie, though. End of Evangelion has some absolutely beautifully done scenes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

The first cartoon I can remember thinking "hey that's pretty cheap and lazy" is the original spider Man cartoon when they used the exact same backgrounds and certain animations for dementia 5 lifted frame for frame from rocket Robin hood (or the reverse, my memory is hazy).

The one thing I remember about the 90s Spiderman cartoon is that it endlessly recycled the same scene of Dr. Octopus’ arms smashing boxes in a warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The 90s Iron Man cartoon featured this CGI sequence in every episode of the first season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTOj8-Aq-Nk