Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My memory has definitely warped it into being more of a "thing" than I remembered then.

God, the awe and mystery that ship conjured was beyond compare...

Splicer posted:

Then Prometheus fucks the whole thing.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Code Jockey posted:

Okay so I didn't make it much farther in Isolation looking for the chip to fix the door hacker-thingy but I have some questions about mechanics of the game:

Tell me how the scavengers work. Do they just roam freely? I ended up hopping the transit car to the reactor looking for the chip, searched around the reactor area for a while, and came back to find a group of scavengers in the transit area preventing me from going back to where I was before (essentially trapping me in the reactor area). I tried to figure a way around them, couldn't, doubled back to the reactor thinking there may've been a hatch or something I missed, didn't find one, and came back to find the scavengers had moved to another room, unfortunately closer to me, so I couldn't get back to the transit area at all. All I have right now is the wrench thing still, no way to shoot them, and no apparent way to have sneaked around them - is it possible to just hide and wait for them to leave? Given enough time, will they on their own?

I was also thinking about my encounter last night and it owns in retrospect. I was doing a dumb video game thing just idly looking around the environment and dragging my rear end despite something really loving bad happening which should've made me panic and run away and I got killed for it. I love it

also there is no fuckin way I will ever play this game in VR lmao

My memory is hazy as it’s been a long time since I last played but you should be able to make some noise and draw the scavengers to investigate and clear you a route. Alternatively if you make enough noise that the xeno appears, it will murder the scavengers very quickly and you can slip by in the chaos.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

If you haven't found the chip for the access tuner (door opener) yet, those scavengers are part of a scripted thing, if I'm remembering right.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Beet Wagon posted:

If you haven't found the chip for the access tuner (door opener) yet, those scavengers are part of a scripted thing, if I'm remembering right.

This is correct. The access tuner is in front of an elevator door next to a body in the lobby (the room with the model rocket engines in it), and the chip, or power source or whatever that makes it work is in some sort of archival room and you have to slide some moving bookshelves out of the way to retrieve it.

Unless they're talking about the scavengers that come directly into the transit station which I think is later in the game.

Remember that you can use the wrench to make noise by striking a bulkhead or something. This can get the scavengers moving and also attract the Alien, which (as mentioned above) will do most all of the cleanup for you if you're smart enough to avoid it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is the answer to the gently caress up. I bet they really were highly trained and they already mentioned at least one other deployment they've been on. Hell, Hicks falls asleep in the absolutely horrifying dropship drop because he's so experienced that it's all just routine for him.

The answer to the Marines being incredibly full of themselves and cocky is because they are Marines.

Cessna, you can back me up on this.

edit: it's because Marines are, in fact, badass

Agreed on all counts.

Marines are just staggeringly arrogant about what they can do. They all think they're God's own gift to war.

As a result, sometimes they get caught flat-footed and get hurt badly as a result.

But even then, they will never - NEVER - give up, and will gut it out with sheer bull-headed stubborn arrogance and salvage a bloody victory out of a certain defeat.

Beet Wagon posted:

In regards to the whole "overconfident but then they got their asses kicked" thing, the entire movie is basically a big story for how loving dumb we were in Vietnam, so yeah.

The movie is an excellent re-telling of a Vietnam war movie in Sci-Fi terms and I love it for even trying to do this.

To continue from above, I am not saying the USMC won the war in Vietnam - we're talking individual battles here. The pattern shows up that level too - Marines go in arrogant, get hurt badly, then tough it out enough to call it a "win" even if it was a bloody pyrrhic victory at best.

All in all the movie is a good portrayal of the USMC. We quoted it constantly when I was in.

quote:

Jarhead: Game over, man. Game over! What the gently caress are we gonna do now? WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?"

Plt. Sgt.: It's only a three mile run, dumbass.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 7, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

It really might be the best chad.jpeg. especially the face blindness bit

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

In both alien and aliens the company is not an omnicognisant capitalist Illuminati manipulating people for death and profit, it's a large corporation sending disposable assets on long shot low cost fishing expeditions with a callous indifference to the safety of their employees at long as they have plausible deniability. You know, standard capitalism. Alien 3 messes with this by making yet another random planet be somehow connected to W/Y, which is either a weird and unnecessary coincidence or means the company runs most of known space. Alien resurrection makes it worse by describing them as being so loving alien obsessed they go bankrupt over it. Then Prometheus fucks the whole thing even more sideways because that film made even resurrection look good seriously what the gently caress.

Check it out.

timeline of "the corp" - if you see how it grew you will see why the thing is everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLeF6EqulUI

And this talks about bishop II from alien 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8WuT9BB58

Jst0rm fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 7, 2019

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
i haven't seen the movie in a while but i thought that WY not only knew about the aliens but purposely hamstringed the marines with Gorman because the real goal of the mission was to get an alien sample back. Burke was the movie's Ash I thought, just following his secret orders to the best of his ability. I guess that wouldn't explain why Bishop was a good android though

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Pitdragon posted:

i haven't seen the movie in a while but i thought that WY not only knew about the aliens but purposely hamstringed the marines with Gorman because the real goal of the mission was to get an alien sample back. Burke was the movie's Ash I thought, just following his secret orders to the best of his ability. I guess that wouldn't explain why Bishop was a good android though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru-yA60TpoI

they definitely knew about the aliens. The colony had no contact with the ship until burke said to go take a look.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Glenn Quebec posted:

It really might be the best chad.jpeg. especially the face blindness bit

Jonas gets some of the credit; I made this after we riffed on it a bit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jst0rm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru-yA60TpoI

they definitely knew about the aliens. The colony had no contact with the ship until burke said to go take a look.

That’s a good video. It explains a lot.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
if anyone has 5 hours to kill watch his "accounts of the earth war" series. poo poo is depressing and based on some comic that went down that road. There is some ridiculous poo poo in it as all of these side canon works seem to regurgitate a lot of what was in the films but its well put together and the darkest thing in the universe.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm gonna watch Aliens tonight

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm gonna watch Aliens tonight

You're gonna have a good time.

If I could make my own cut a la carte I'd take the director's cut minus two things:
The Hadley's Hope pre bad stuff scenes (kills the pacing and tips the hand too bad).
The queen conversation would cut off at the line "So what's laying all the eggs?" like the theatrical cut instead of the scene being extended.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Someone said I should watch Life because it was "Scary like Alien was scary".

I will be hurting that person shortly.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

My memory is hazy as it’s been a long time since I last played but you should be able to make some noise and draw the scavengers to investigate and clear you a route. Alternatively if you make enough noise that the xeno appears, it will murder the scavengers very quickly and you can slip by in the chaos.

Such a shame the sequel's gonna be a fuckin phone game

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Splicer posted:

Someone said I should watch Life because it was "Scary like Alien was scary".

I will be hurting that person shortly.

Thinking about that Goodnight Moon scene.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Alien 3 is such a piece of poo poo i totally discount it and regard the dark horse comics as official continuity. Well the good ones.

20th Century Fox execs are too massively stupid to just adapt Aliens: Labyrinth. That's the best Aliens story. The one that follows Aliens visual style, plenty of space marine stuff, and builds on it. The xenos are tools of a mad scientist, the plot is totally different than previous works. It's not that stupid WY must have Aliens to profit somehow bullshit. I guess Ressurection did a similar thing but it also sucked rear end. Dr. Church would be a super memorable cool villain if played by the right actor. I'd want to to be Udo Kier or Christopher Walken. Somebody that can do charismatic and evil as the same time. But instead drunk old Ridley Scott shits up the franchise with Lindeloff's basic bitch christian mythology refs and boring old cliche poo poo, plots moved forward by idiocy, etc.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think i read that. is that the same one where they had like a cyborg mech thing that interfaced with a person inside by like burrowing into their skull or body somehow? that might have been another aliens book. i do remember that scientist character and a pretty intense moment where he traps the protagonists in with aliens

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Sounds bad fellas.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Millions of Crows posted:

Alien 3 is such a piece of poo poo i totally discount it and regard the dark horse comics as official continuity. Well the good ones.

20th Century Fox execs are too massively stupid to just adapt Aliens: Labyrinth. That's the best Aliens story. The one that follows Aliens visual style, plenty of space marine stuff, and builds on it. The xenos are tools of a mad scientist, the plot is totally different than previous works. It's not that stupid WY must have Aliens to profit somehow bullshit. I guess Ressurection did a similar thing but it also sucked rear end. Dr. Church would be a super memorable cool villain if played by the right actor. I'd want to to be Udo Kier or Christopher Walken. Somebody that can do charismatic and evil as the same time. But instead drunk old Ridley Scott shits up the franchise with Lindeloff's basic bitch christian mythology refs and boring old cliche poo poo, plots moved forward by idiocy, etc.

I've been saying this for years. It blends the horror of Alien and the action of Aliens perfectly. Aliens: Labyrinth the movie would be a home run and would end Alien's mediocre movie streak.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you all read the william gibson alien 3 script? i remember enjoying it when i read it but it was a while back https://www.awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

marijuanamancer posted:

i think i read that. is that the same one where they had like a cyborg mech thing that interfaced with a person inside by like burrowing into their skull or body somehow? that might have been another aliens book. i do remember that scientist character and a pretty intense moment where he traps the protagonists in with aliens

That was Aliens Berserker. A mech piloted by the unluckiest member of kind of penal battalion formed to clear out xenos.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i was so bummed when bomkamp getting to take a mulligan on a sequel to aliens didn't pan out.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/30/16832874/neill-blomkamp-canceled-alien-sequel-movie

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 8, 2019

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Owlbear Camus posted:

i was so bummed when bomkamp getting to take a mulligan on a sequel to aliens didn't pan out.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/30/16832874/neill-blomkamp-canceled-alien-sequel-movie

I would be perfectly fine with them making this Alien 3 today and pretending that Alien 3 was a hyper sleep dream.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I dunno, I think there are good Alien stories left, but they don't involve Ripley and they don't involve some kind of overarching mythology.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm catching up but these, especially the first, are loving hilarious. It's only 44 seconds so those of you who haven't watched it should.

edit: "Bay 12 please."

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 8, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jst0rm posted:

you guys down with alien theory? He breaks down most of the universe and has more knowledge on this stuff then anyone I think...

I kinda want to keep that out of here except for the stuff we can ascertain from the films. I haven't watched the videos yet but if they follow those rules then I guess it's ok within reason. I mean we're trying to discuss answers to questions here so that's fine. But anything out of books or the expanded universe doesn't really fly since it's not canon.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I kinda want to keep that out of here except for the stuff we can ascertain from the films. I haven't watched the videos yet but if they follow those rules then I guess it's ok within reason. I mean we're trying to discuss answers to questions here so that's fine. But anything out of books or the expanded universe doesn't really fly since it's not canon.

It's a good channel, check it out sometime for yourself.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is alien isolation canon?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

marijuanamancer posted:

is alien isolation canon?

I don't count any of the games as canon but game discussion is just fine.

What I'm trying to avoid is stuff like, "Well Ripley doesn't *actually* feel this way because in the Alien: Caged Refugees book they said that when she was 13 she was attacked by a dog so therefore she has a natural fear of aliens."

Games are fun. I just don't want to tie them in with the movie stuff.

Linux Pirate posted:

It's a good channel, check it out sometime for yourself.

I'll have to do that. And again if it takes information from the movie and just builds off of that then that's fine. Anything that we can get information from and not go too wildly out there is cool. We've already been trying to figure out intentions of the company and stuff but it's also based off of the info that we're given.

Use your own discretion I guess. I don't really care THAT much. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 8, 2019

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Im convinced that Burke and Weyland-Yutani in general are based on Fox executives

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Im convinced that Burke and Weyland-Yutani in general are based on Fox executives

:hmmyes:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I think isolation is considered canon. Some of the book works are also considered canon. What is or isn't considered canon is up to the people holding the copyright. I'm pretty sure some of the comics definitely aren't canon but I don't know which ones.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

corporations and science types are easy bad guys for sure. The acid blooded alien hiding in the inky blackness of space? The most horrific bad guy there is.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah cause im pretty sure fox is/was pretty strict with the license and have the game studios use them for story and world building resources

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
kinda like making a game for disney

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
So like what did Prometheus contribute to the lore of Aliens? I only saw it once a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/william-gibson-alien-3-comic-book-1202872008/

This will be a comic. Pretty cool as its the alien 3 script they didn't make and some think it should of been the one they went with.