Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Look Sir Droids posted:

Scale of 1 to 10, how awesome is it to smush that good buy's face? Like a 16?

Oh it's a 9.5. Minimal drool, maximum meat, very soft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Here is a decidedly less meaty girl protecting baby blarzgh from bad camera boi.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Two out of my four dummies:

Edit: Sorry for giant pic.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

blarzgh posted:

Here is a decidedly less meaty girl protecting baby blarzgh from bad camera boi.

That is A+ high quality meat right there, don't you believe otherwise.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Dog 1 and Dog 2 - Both good dogs. Lacking in meat department

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 6, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Two out of my four dummies:

Edit: Sorry for giant pic.

Brown dog is making the same face Toona made in the hot tub the other day.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Love getting a compromise verdict that necessitates the jury believe the victim 100% in one count but also not at all in the second.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

Love getting a compromise verdict that necessitates the jury believe the victim 100% in one count but also not at all in the second.

Seems like grounds for an appeal?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Seems like grounds for an appeal?

They're both convictions, one as charged (the one they had to believe the victim 100% on), the other a lesser included that required them to disbelieve the victim. The lesser-included conviction was 100% a compromise verdict and they aren't necessarily wrong, just inconsistent in how the two convictions work together.

From the Defendant's point of view, he could appeal but he'd be a fool and wouldn't really have grounds. Verdicts can be inconsistent with each other, so long as they are each independently supportable by evidence. If he appealed he'd be risking 2 years for another shot at us getting 26.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

They're both convictions, one as charged (the one they had to believe the victim 100% on), the other a lesser included that required them to disbelieve the victim. The lesser-included conviction was 100% a compromise verdict and they aren't necessarily wrong, just inconsistent in how the two convictions work together.

From the Defendant's point of view, he could appeal but he'd be a fool and wouldn't really have grounds. Verdicts can be inconsistent with each other, so long as they are each independently supportable by evidence. If he appealed he'd be risking 2 years for another shot at us getting 26.

Okay, I guess I was reading it through my civil glasses, like "we do find that there was a breach of the contract, but we don't find that the defendant breached their fiduciary duty."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
This Cohen thing, I don't even know. We're way past Better Call Saul legal crimes territory here.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Discendo Vox posted:

This Cohen thing, I don't even know. We're way past Better Call Saul legal crimes territory here.

It'll be generations before the profession recovers it's reputation for professionalism and ethics!!!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

The legal bills thing really reminded me of that law student that got a bill for a law clerk interview from like 3 big law associates and then to add insult to injury they padded their bills

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

EwokEntourage posted:

The legal bills thing really reminded me of that law student that got a bill for a law clerk interview from like 3 big law associates and then to add insult to injury they padded their bills

Wait. Three associates billed for time spent interviewing an applicant? Am I reading that right?

If I were on a jury for someone that responded to a demand like that with a box of their own poo poo, I would go for jury nullification

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Lote posted:

Wait. Three associates billed for time spent interviewing an applicant? Am I reading that right?

If I were on a jury for someone that responded to a demand like that with a box of their own poo poo, I would go for jury nullification

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6vcr2r/ny_ny_interview_with_a_law_firm_led_to_being/

quote:

However, earlier last week I received a bill in the mail for billable hours from the firm. They are charging me for the initial phone interview (.5 hours), day of the interview (1.5 hrs, even though actual interview time was about 45 minutes) and response to my thank you email (.5 hours).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Pook Good Mook posted:

Funny. I posted about something like that previously.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Today a big profile case just ended, a corruption/orgcrime/drugs case where one of the defendants is an undercover cop who allegedly assisted organized drug smuggling in extremely large quantities into the country. The jury, however, acquitted him on all the counts of accessory to drug smugglin' but convicted on police corruption... for assisting in the drug smugglin'. Handy for him though, since that shaves off a good number of years from the possible sentence.

This case was the last jury trial we will ever hold as a nation, by the way. Jury's out permanently. (well, they might bring them back at some point, but probably not).

Due to the acquittal, the judges felt that the jury hosed up their verdict too much and declared a mistrial nullifying the acquittal and sending the case to be retried in high court sans jury and with new judges.

Kinda the same thing, he was guilty of police corruption, but the only police corruption he was accused of was accessory to drug smuggling, which he was acquitted of. The judges threw the entire thing out because this was all just too dumb for words, so it's getting retried at the same appellate level without a jury.

So the answer is get rid of the jury system, I guess.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

The worst part is there’s no resolution. Boo!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

The worst part is there’s no resolution. Boo!

Is there any reason to not tell them to go pound sand? There's a very low likelihood that he was informed ahead of time that the interview/application process would be billed, and it's not reasonable to assume it would be, there's no way it's enforceable. poo poo, I'd forward it to the NY ethics board.

I mean, if they try and enforce it. It's probably just an admin mistake like the replies say.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Pook Good Mook posted:

Is there any reason to not tell them to go pound sand? There's a very low likelihood that he was informed ahead of time that the interview/application process would be billed, and it's not reasonable to assume it would be, there's no way it's enforceable. poo poo, I'd forward it to the NY ethics board.

I mean, if they try and enforce it. It's probably just an admin mistake like the replies say.

It sounds super on brand for lawyers, but I bet the explanation is simple clerical error. That firm sets up non-billable accounts for interviews and someone, probably legal assistant, mistakenly clicked the wrong thing and made it billable. The associates billed for the time marked out on their calendar, not the actual time it took. User didn't post a resolution because that's it and it's boring.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Reminds me off an episode of Better off Ted where the guy is having an affair at work with a lawyer and the company starts sending him bills for her time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sullat posted:

Reminds me off an episode of Better off Ted where the guy is having an affair at work with a lawyer and the company starts sending him bills for her time.

that show really never should have been canceled, it's fantastic

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
I'm sad that I can't get the Supreme Courtship demo to play on my Windows 10 computer. Any ideas?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Roger Stone's attorneys claim that they have received terabytes of discovery from the prosecution.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Roger Stone's attorneys claim that they have received terabytes of discovery from the prosecution.

One month of pole cam video is about a TB. That plus a few nerds' gaming PCs with three hundred steam games all imaged and you are at a plural number of terabytes. Big cases get up there quickly.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BigHead posted:

One month of pole cam video is about a TB. That plus a few nerds' gaming PCs with three hundred steam games all imaged and you are at a plural number of terabytes. Big cases get up there quickly.

It's mostly documents in this case. 2.2 million is the number I recall. They don't have months of video footage of roger stone. It's all emails, chat logs, phone records, etc.

Also holy loving poo poo Manafort only got 47 months.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Manafort got to loving skate, goddamn.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like Judge Ellis telling this motherfucker he lived an honest life when he’s directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in Angola, not to mention working for loving murderous dictators like Ferdinand Marcos and Mobutu Sese Seko, the Pakistani ISI, and Viktor Yanukovych, and Oleg Deripaska. Ellis is garbage.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Trump could get impeached, indicted, convicted of everything he’s charged with, and some old white man judge will sentence him to 26 months

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Lol he let Manafort skate because Manafort is, apparently, a generally good person.

Isn’t this the judge that last year got super pissed at prosecutors because they focused too much on making Manafort look like a generally bad person?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

disjoe posted:

Lol he let Manafort skate because Manafort is, apparently, a generally good person.

Yes, a generally good person continues doing crimes while on bail and in actual jail.

Wtf. gently caress this judge.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I hope Jackson throws the book at him.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It’s been a while since I was involved in a sentencing hearing. But the last time I was, our client got 80 months for being a felon in possession of a firearm. that he didn’t use. Just had it in his car.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Trump could get impeached, indicted, convicted of everything he’s charged with, and some old white man judge will sentence him to 26 months

Hahahahahahahahaha you think Trump might go to jail.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TRUMP

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

disjoe posted:

Isn’t this the judge that last year got super pissed at prosecutors because they focused too much on making Manafort look like a generally bad person?

The prosecution kept mentioning Manafort's lavish lifestyle and the judge basically told them to stop it because "being rich wasn't a crime" or something.

My friend had a client get 5 years for stealing beer with a screwdriver (aka, a deadly weapon) in his pocket.

sullat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 8, 2019

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lol whoops

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/paul-manaforts-otherwise-blamess-life-crime/584419/

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Behind the bastards has a good couple eps on Manafort. He's a dictator enabler who shaped and grew the endemic corruption in Washington and arranged for his wife to be hosed against her will because he's a voyeuristic psycho cuck. Blameless life otherwise though, good outcome

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

terrorist ambulance posted:

Behind the bastards has a good couple eps on Manafort. He's a dictator enabler who shaped and grew the endemic corruption in Washington and arranged for his wife to be hosed against her will because he's a voyeuristic psycho cuck. Blameless life otherwise though, good outcome

Listen, I gotta level with ya.

Guy's a piece of poo poo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

HE IS LITERALLY WAITING TO BE SENTENCED FOR OTHER CRIMES AND THE JUDGE USED THE WORDS “OTHERWISE BLAMELESS LIFE”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

HE IS LITERALLY WAITING TO BE SENTENCED FOR OTHER CRIMES AND THE JUDGE USED THE WORDS “OTHERWISE BLAMELESS LIFE”

Yeah that Manafort guy is a pretty bad egg too.