Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
~*looks out window, points to a seagull flying past*~

UBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DariusLikewise posted:

Liberals raising the spectre of Stephen Harper ahead of schedule

https://twitter.com/liberal_party/status/1103744708042469377?s=20

You know when a lot of governments get caught in a scandal they'll try to direct attention away with some nonsense, and usually it's something moral panic-y or very low stakes but that people care about very much anyway. It's standard, we all know the move.

Using climate change has to be one of the most vile things they could have done. An issue that is anything but low stakes, that people, especially children, are increasingly frustrated and anxious about while politicians are publicly indifferent to the issue. And this after they've had 4 years to act on it. It's just disgusting.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 7, 2019

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
The attack ads from the other parties write themselves..

Justin Trudeau says he cares about climate change.. but he built a pipeline to mainline dirty oil to donald trump

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

RBC posted:

The attack ads from the other parties write themselves..

Justin Trudeau says he cares about climate change.. but he built a pipeline to mainline dirty oil to donald trump

https://twitter.com/nikiashton/status/1102576636375916544?s=21

Niki's actually getting pretty good at Twitter. She wants to be AOC so badly

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dreylad posted:

Using climate change has to be one of the most vile things they could have done. An issue that is anything but low stakes, that people, especially children, are increasingly frustrated and anxious about while politicians are publicly indifferent to the issue. And this after they've had 4 years to act on it. It's just disgusting.

And if anything, their track record on this particular issue has left everyone disappointed. The pro-climate change electorate is pissed that they bought a pipeline for disgusting tar sand oil. Alberta is pissed that they failed to deliver said pipeline. Old people, conservatives and idiots are pissed that they're imposing a carbon tax.

And they choose this as a diversion?

:chaostrump:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Let her become our AOC - we need someone out there since Twitter is a legit game to play now. Call these loving idiots out.

MB just passed a 1% PST cut as well down to 7% - so gently caress this province. And with the bigots hating on Wab and Liberals being a gently caress show - it's more Conservatism loving bullshit for another 4 years.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/Sheila_Copps/status/1103460076151398401
"the aboriginal agenda." what the gently caress IS WRONG with these people :psypop:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

A Typical Goon posted:

She def has the potential to be the Canadian AOC.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Entorwellian posted:

She def has the potential to be the Canadian AOC.

She does not. She just doesn't have the charisma or class background of AOC

I guess she could be a low rent Canadian version though

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Niki Ashton is the daughter of a longtime NDP senior politico and cabinet minister. she simply doesn't have AOC's proletarian bona fides.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Judge by deeds.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

that's not the point. I like Niki Ashton. I supported her in the leadership. she says what I think every NDP person should be saying on virtually every file. but she will always coem off as disingenuous or patronizing to some, because she has never actually lived a working class life. she has always been the daughter of an NDP MLA. this is also probably why she often lapses into the academic jargon that other posters have criticized her for. it's why she'll never be an AOC.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

A Typical Goon posted:

I guess she could be a low rent Canadian version though

That's what they said

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Niki is the Canadian AOC in the way Justin is the Canadian Obama.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DynamicSloth posted:

Niki is the Canadian AOC in the way Justin is the Canadian Obama.

Who is the Canadian Bernie Sanders?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the Canadian AOC is Catherine Dorion but y'all don't get to have her sorry

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I loving hate Pallister jfc

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Justin is the Canadian GWB, you ninnies. He's the idiot scion of a political family who had no business winning that election and as a consequence has a uniquely B-tier set of advisors who don't know gently caress all about anything.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Obama's advisors didn't know poo poo about poo poo either

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

A Typical Goon posted:

Good tweet but 253 retweets shows she is def not AOC.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
This statement from Trudeau today would have made sense when this story first broke but we've had four weeks of differing answers from him, wild testimonies from others, and endless media reports since the G&M reported on this Feb. 7.

He let this fester, hoping it would go away, and now it's malignant. What's left to do? Conservatives want blood and won't be satisfied until he resigns, the NDP also exist I guess, and there are honest to goodness Liberal diehards who think this is just the press blowing things out of proportion and who cares about crony capitalism because that's how it's always been and differing opinion, etc. etc.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Franks Happy Place posted:

Justin is the Canadian GWB, you ninnies. He's the idiot scion of a political family who had no business winning that election and as a consequence has a uniquely B-tier set of advisors who don't know gently caress all about anything.

Trudeau's advisors are all life-long Liberals who have been here for the last 30 years, they know exactly what they are doing

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

He’s definitely our Obama:
- got elected as the new young face of the country
- instantly forgot all his campaign promises
- bent over backwards for corporations and the financial sector, pissing off his base and causing many of his own progressive allies to disavow him
- right wing still hates him with all their heart no matter how much he fulfills their agenda

Now he just needs to get re-elected against a historically uncharismatic whitebread conservative opponent, and Faith Goldy will be PM in 2023.

E: I also forgot: 10 times more popular outside his own country than within

Starks fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 8, 2019

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

he's "Canada's Obama" in the same sense that Ashton is "Canada's AOC" which is to say, there's some parallels but he's also totally unlike the real Obama in a number of ways

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
AOC is popular because she’s progressive, genuine, relatable. The the most similar NDP MP is probably Charlie Angus.

Ashton is nothing like AOC other than a young woman.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

cowofwar posted:

AOC is popular because she’s progressive, genuine, relatable. The the most similar NDP MP is probably Charlie Angus.

And the fact that they advocate a near identical message?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A young Anishinaabek woman protester at a Trudeau rally was physically assaulted by an old, white man as the crowd chanted "TRUDEAU! TRUDEAU!" and Justin just stood there saying "oh boy. oh boy." She was thrown out of the rally and it was reported as a "clash" between two people.

https://twitter.com/deejayndn/status/1103307173826711552
Video here if you can stomach it

Trump is just an aberration though. Feminist, pro-environment, totally-not-racist liberals would never stoop to such lows.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 8, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Six-toed born to rule pony fuckers, the lot of them.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tsyni posted:

He died in 2011

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Time to bring Ed out of retirement.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

cowofwar posted:

Ms. Ashton positions over the years illustrate your point. He take on "elbowgate" was telling:

quote:

I am ashamed to be a witness to the person who holds the highest position in our country do such an act. I want to say that for all of us who witnessed this, this was deeply traumatic. What I will say, if we apply a gendered lens, it is very important that young women in this space feel safe to come here and work here,

Doesn't feel safe. In the House of Commons. Because the Prime Minister bumped into someone. A "deeply traumatic" experience.

Ashton has already been on Parliament Hill for more than a decade. She is the lifelong politician child of a lifelong politician. It shines through.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 8, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Nah, she's right, you'd probably even get fired from snc lavalin for behaving like that. The only thing I don't like about Trudeau right now is his obvious contempt for women. Where's Sophie been lately

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Tsyni posted:

Svend Robinson.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

THC posted:

Niki Ashton is the daughter of a longtime NDP senior politico and cabinet minister. she simply doesn't have AOC's proletarian bona fides.

Oh poo poo I didn't know that. Ugh. Yeah a family-connected politician like that ain't no AOC after all.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

thehoodie posted:

Svend Robinson.

yeah, Svend is on the shortlist for sure.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I’m glad Svend is making a comeback. I didn’t realize/don’t remember he tried and lost in 2006.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lol so BC kept making proposals to build $60M worth of social housing in Maple Ridge and Maple Ridge turned them all down because they said it didn’t fit with their “housing plan”. So finally the housing minister gave them a week to produce this “plan” and Maple ridge countered by demanding the province just give them the $60M in cash. Turns out they don’t have a plan, there was never a plan, and they’re now scrambling to cobble together a housing plan in 4 days to present to the housing minister lol

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THC posted:

Lol so BC kept making proposals to build $60M worth of social housing in Maple Ridge and Maple Ridge turned them all down because they said it didn’t fit with their “housing plan”. So finally the housing minister gave them a week to produce this “plan” and Maple ridge countered by demanding the province just give them the $60M in cash. Turns out they don’t have a plan, there was never a plan, and they’re now scrambling to cobble together a housing plan in 4 days to present to the housing minister lol

This is when the province just loving bypasses the local poo poo heads and builds it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

well unfortunately we got a seat there by promising to axe their road tolls and if there's anything they hate more than road tolls it's having to live near, look at, or otherwise be aware of the existence of poor people