Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I think this is fairly appropriate

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1103817873271803905

Supreme Court considering that maybe it should get around to writing an ethics code for itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Doesn't Manafort get sentenced by a judge who actually hates him later this month? Jackson?

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Your Taint posted:

My point is that it's kind of stupid to think "surely it will happen THIS time" when it hasn't happened yet. There's an extremely fine line between optimism and stupidity.

"The judge who has shown constant hostility towards Manafort will give a tougher sentence than the one who's a raving chud" isn't some kind of wild optimism

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember that this judge is the perfect example of a Reagan Republican the next time some idiot want to tell you Trump changed the GOP. They haven't stopped being crooks for as long as anyone has been alive.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

My point is that it's kind of stupid to think "surely it will happen THIS time" when it hasn't happened yet. There's an extremely fine line between optimism and stupidity.

I disagree, being a permanent resident of that extremely blurry line.

Some people are just hardwired that way. Both sides of the line, to be honest. :colbert:

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
New York State has its own list of charges it can bring against Manafort if his federal sentence is too light. He's going to die in prison.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
America is such a poo poo country.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Manafort’s gonna be out of prison in time to pull all this poo poo again next year

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Your Taint posted:

How is it broken to realize facts? Tell me about this great mattering that has occurred.

The ~Great Mattering~ that you're so obsessed with hasn't happened yet, but a lot of poo poo that has happened has definitely mattered. Trump-adjacent and Trump-associated people have constantly been on trial and the administration has been hemorrhaging department heads and cabinet members since Day 1. The GOP being so transparently loving awful under Trump has had no small part in energizing the left and getting more people into politics and supporting politicians like AOC and Presley and Omar.

Yes, there's still a wide variety of awful poo poo happening constantly and yes, the horrible people that caused it aren't being punished like they should, but that doesn't mean that good things aren't happening and it definitely doesn't mean that the good things that have happened don't matter. Stop being such a bitch and learn how to hope again.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Z. Autobahn posted:

"The judge who has shown constant hostility towards Manafort will give a tougher sentence than the one who's a raving chud" isn't some kind of wild optimism

In any other timeline, you'd be correct.

But we also believed that a Presidential candidate admitting to sexual assault on tape would mean there was no loving way he'd ever get elected and welp.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Remember if you are white that you should stand between black people and police because they will not be able to touch you while trying to violently assault the black person.

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1103182124050313216

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Concurrently served sentences my dude, plus good behavior getting him out on probation is still possible as well.

so, while we're on the topic, federal sentencing has real tight restrictions on good behavior reductions

you can get around 15% plus a few other fiddly bits, but it's not even remotely as calvinbally as some lower jurisdictions or the general perception of post-sentencing processes

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Your Taint posted:

But we also believed that a Presidential candidate admitting to sexual assault on tape would mean there was no loving way he'd ever get elected and welp.

Well the day after he did that Russia released a ton of stolen emails from his rival and then the news could only cover one thing

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Saagonsa posted:

That aged poorly very quickly

"Saagonsa has been blocked by @Popehat."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The funny thing is that "the great mattering" might as well be "the rapture" or "judgment day." Its basically the same philosophical and moral dilemma humanity has wrestled with forever. Why do good things happen to bad people? Why do bad people get away with bad things? Why do people hurt each other? Its a reality of life we all grow up and learn to cope with, and a big part of the reason religion exists is to give people the comfort they need that in the end someone or something will balance the scales.

People saying "nothing matters" and "the great mattering" are using childish ideas to avoid the difficulty of investing themselves in things that matter and being disappointed.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1103820248954912771

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kith posted:

Stop being such a bitch and learn how to hope again.

Optimism only leads to disappointment.

When you expect lovely things to happen and they do, it's what you expected. When they don't it's a wonderful surprise. This is what I need to believe to get through my days.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lol Ellis really is garbage

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Three years to write the book, out in time for the talk shows and few mill from the sales.
Kerrching!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stereotype posted:

Remember if you are white that you should stand between black people and police because they will not be able to touch you while trying to violently assault the black person.

Inspring.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Your Taint posted:

When you expect lovely things to happen and they do, it's what you expected. When they don't it's a wonderful surprise. This is what I need to believe to get through my days.

You could also just believe in the truth.

That there never has been or ever will be any "great mattering", that events like the Civil Rights Movement did not just happen all of a sudden but instead were built on decades of blood and sweat and tears and activism. And then it doesn't solve everything but things are still better. It has always been that way. It will always be that way.

Stop believing in dumb fairy tales and start believing in actual change.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I love how they all got up and got between him and the police almost instantly.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
There's zero reason anyone that's 78 years old needs to be on the bench, state or federal or whatever. gently caress off and retire and die, you old poo poo.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Your Taint posted:

Your Taint posted:

To head off this argument your post about loving that protest action suggests you dont think nothing matters so I really don’t get where you’re coming from at all.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 8, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Peacoffee posted:

Sounds like you’re a real manchild who shouldn’t crow about this poo poo.

Hrm... it's almost like the first one helped lead to the second....

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Then you should probably go get therapy, because I once thought like you do. Know what it leads to? Being miserable 24/7.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

When the other judge slaps another 5-10 on I wonder if people will be this bleak and annoying

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

Shut the gently caress up and get some sort of mental health consultation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stereotype posted:

Mad props to that white lady in the purple for hopping up on the podium with him. The cops just loving shut down when she put herself between him and them.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I have an appt next week, thanks for asking.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

When the other judge slaps another 5-10 on I wonder if people will be this bleak and annoying

T-Bagz can't pardon state crimes. :smuggo:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Sanguinia posted:

I mean we're goons, so probably, yeah

Its kinda our natural state

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Your Taint posted:

Do you like really believe you're uniquely aware or in a unique time period and place where you've realized "good things happen to bad people" and "bad people get away with bad things"? Or is your philosophy just a universal "life is, always has, and always will suck"?

And if so why don't you just think those protestors are fools wasting their time? Why aren't you saying to them "nothing matters"?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Here's the issue. 4 years for white collar crime is not a bad sentence in itself. What makes it bad is that the same judge will throw a black man in prison for decades for drugs or petty theft. If everyone was sentenced as leniently as Manafort was today the justice system would be better overall. The glaring disparity of it on parade is just utterly sad at this point.

agreed

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

"Otherwise blameless" is just... wow. If you're really curious, go listen to the Behind the Bastards episodes about Manafort to see how much of a monster he has been over the years.
https://twitter.com/bastardspod/status/1032356759959162880?s=19

It says a lot that the leaked texts about forcing his wife to have sex with other men isn't even the worst thing he's done.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 8, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Peacoffee posted:

To head off this argument your post about loving that protest action suggests you dont think nothing matters so I really don’t get where you’re coming from at all.

I can compliment acts of good by people and ultimately think that it's not going to lead to much change in the long run. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Generic American posted:

"Otherwise blameless" is just... wow. If you're really curious, go listen to the Behind the Bastards episodes about Manafort to see how much of a monster he has been over the years.

It says a lot that the leaked texts about forcing his wife to have sex with other men isn't even the worst thing he's done.

This podcast is a lot of fun - highly recommended.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Your Taint posted:

I can compliment acts of good by people and ultimately think that it's not going to lead to much change in the long run. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Sacramento is where I live so thanks for your support for activism here but we could mostly use your brain being in a better place frankly.

Also just to not act high and mighty, I’m being treated for CPTSD after being waitlisted for three years.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 8, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"otherwise blameless life" is going to be a recurring phrase for a long time.

This decision isn't morally defensible. It's on par with Brock Turner's six months.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I just love it when people in the thread appoint themselves as the mental health ombudsmen for others. I assume you're credentialed in some way to credibly make such a recommendation?