Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

A Wrinkle in Time was... fine. The book is a favourite of mine, and I read it very young because it's a favourite of my mother's and she was eager to show it to me. The movie is visually spectacular, the casting is pretty great (though I think Charles Wallace is a bit eh in the way of young child actors), and most of the changes are really just modernisations or the sort of thing that happens as part of an adaptation to a different medium, and the themes of the book are mostly intact. What bothers me is the change of IT and Camazotz being the source of evil rather than the result of evil. I think the story has more impact if what happened on Camazotz could happen on Earth, that Camazotz is implied to be liberated by the destruction of IT rather than just where IT lives. The series as a whole is very big into a sort of spiritual war against evil, not only in love against hate, but creation versus destruction, wisdom and knowledge against ignorance, matter versus nothingness. Evil is the Echthroi, who are anti-individuality, anti-creation, anti-innovation, anti-knowledge. They are Nothing. And it's important to fight against Nothing, through art or science or love, and the change of IT to being a big personification of evil is kind of counter to that. It weakens the theme of the book, I think, and that change does a lot to keep me from really loving it.

Meanwhile, more relevantly to the thread discussion, A Wrinkle in Time is the second movie that my mother was looking forward to and then did not see because of White Male Critics dismissing it. My mother was super excited about this movie. We were going to see it together. And then she backed out because "oh I heard it wasn't good." The other movie was The Last Jedi. My mother has been a big fan of Star Wars since day one, and she was scared off by white male critics who can't handle a female-oriented Star Wars movie.

(She did later see The Last Jedi, thought it was great, asked me why people said it was bad, and then I had to explain that there are people who are genuinely angry about women and minorities in what they perceive as "their" media. That was... an interesting conversation.)

Edit: oh god I did not want to snipe the page I don't want that much attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I feel movie going society is going to be cursed to re-litigate The Last Jedi til the end of time, and I've lost pretty much any and all respect for someone who thinks the movie is terrible. Like even at a base level, this movie about space wizards is, comprehensible, well made, and functional, like even if you didn't enjoy it, at the bare minimum its just bland a mediocre, rather than it ruined my life forever. (personal note it's probably my 3rd favorite star wars movie)

I feel like the future of movie reviewing is going to be like those christian review sites of old, where it'll be like Nazi Chud Cinema Reviews vs NeoLib Movie reviews until the end of time. Movies will get rated on how either white nationalist they are or how diverse racially and genderwise but not too critical of the system, they are.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I feel movie going society is going to be cursed to re-litigate The Last Jedi til the end of time, and I've lost pretty much any and all respect for someone who thinks the movie is terrible. Like even at a base level, this movie about space wizards is, comprehensible, well made, and functional, like even if you didn't enjoy it, at the bare minimum its just bland a mediocre, rather than it ruined my life forever. (personal note it's probably my 3rd favorite star wars movie)

I feel like the future of movie reviewing is going to be like those christian review sites of old, where it'll be like Nazi Chud Cinema Reviews vs NeoLib Movie reviews until the end of time. Movies will get rated on how either white nationalist they are or how diverse racially and genderwise but not too critical of the system, they are.

What will people do without your respect. It will definitely change their whole outlook on films I guarantee you that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mordor She Wrote posted:

What's cool, to me, is that in one year there will be another Star Wars movie to fight about if it's good or not until the heat death of the universe.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

zoux posted:

What's cool, to me, is that in one year there will be another Star Wars movie to fight about if it's good or not until the heat death of the universe.

But will it have porgs, is what I want to know?

(I love porgs, fight me)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

RoboRodent posted:

(I love porgs, fight me)

There were porgs in the millennium falcon, be a shame if they were ignored going forward

The Porgs Awaken

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But will liking the next Star Wars movie become the next big woke thing is the biggest issue

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

Johnny Knoxville took on some champion female kickboxer (knowing what the outcome was gonna be obviously, this is the same guy that got decked by butter bean) and she basically caved his legs in 2 seconds into the fight.

Well actually it was Ryan Dunn, she she absolutely destroyed him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCCBn5yvZMQ

In social media idiot news my baby boomer mother asked me today why all her Instagram stories kept dissappearing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hey, at least they've got "our show is literally called jackass" and "I knew exactly how this was going to end" going for them :D

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I love the bit where doubling over in pain was what allowed him to duck a punch.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how she's really going easy on him too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RoboRodent posted:

(I love porgs, fight me)

I will not fight you, I fuckin love porgs. Say what you will about anything else, but porgs are great and I want a hundred of them. Thank you, puffins, for being omnipresent and getting into all the shots and needing to be covered up.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jurgan posted:

Hell, that was my favorite book as a preteen boy.

:hmmyes:

I read it for the first time last year in my mid 30s and thought it was a great read. Ill probably catch the movie streaming at some point. I also love porgs.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BONER CULTURE

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new outfit looks about a million times more badass than the old titty outfit.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
One Angry Boner

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

belt posted:

The new outfit looks about a million times more badass than the old titty outfit.

women don't need to look badass when all they are, is a receptacle for my seed :smug:

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
I love that Mortal Kombat finally moved away from female characters that look like they just jumped out of a cake. Also the Boner Culture guys have moved on to conniptions over the reveal of Cassie Cage, who does this (nms/nws for digital gore):
https://twitter.com/MortalKombat/status/1103413874370347008

nerd plus rage has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Mar 8, 2019

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I love that this is their "fully covered up," "lacking sex appeal" character

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

nerd plus rage posted:

I love that Mortal Kombat finally moved away from female characters that look like they just jumped out of a cake. Also the Boner Culture guys have moved on to conniptions over the reveal of Cassie Cage, who does this (nms/nws for digital gore):

That link don't work

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Puppy Time posted:

I love that this is their "fully covered up," "lacking sex appeal" character

Where are the exposed boobies??? I can't fap to this. :negative:

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

nerd plus rage posted:

I love the person in the comment section lamenting the lack of everyone's favorite MK character...Li Mei.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bogus Adventure posted:

Where are the exposed boobies??? I can't fap to this. :negative:

You're not trying hard enough then.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

nerd plus rage posted:

SMDH at all the fake fans unaware of the proud Cage family tradition of testicular violence.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I am increasingly convinced that these boner culture dorks don't understand Mortal Kombat at all

Edit: or anything else, really

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Didn't one of Cassie's fatalities involve posting a selfie with her and the dead opponent on Twitter? I vaguely remember that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

grittyreboot posted:

Didn't one of Cassie's fatalities involve posting a selfie with her and the dead opponent on Twitter? I vaguely remember that.

Yes, and most of the characters can randomly comment on her twitter feed, with names like FanGirl (Kitana), QuanCheesey (Quan Chi), and Goro (Goro). The twitter site is called Friendships.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Decoder2/status/1103867058754748417

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/neontaster/status/1102289474300661760

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/thequartering/status/1103791449433391104?s=21

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Those right-wingers sure do know how to meme.

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1103867323893587968

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
You come at the Treat King you best not miss

https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/1103493287485284352

https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/1103511071976030209

https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/1103510798725468160

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Reminder to kill all gamers

https://twitter.com/TannerLPer/status/1103817034716999680

e: oh the thumbnail cuts off the bad part, haha

kirbysuperstar has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Mar 8, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I would not be shocked if this guy somehow has "Never forget 9/11" as a signature on his tweets

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Yes, and most of the characters can randomly comment on her twitter feed, with names like FanGirl (Kitana), QuanCheesey (Quan Chi), and Goro (Goro). The twitter site is called Friendships.

Cassie Cage loving rules, and even Marshawn Lynch recognized she's the best character to play (maybe a little :nws: due to where Cassie punches Devora)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyryQz4&t=260s

Bogus Adventure has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Mar 8, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

For reference (long thread), barstool loves stealing content:

https://twitter.com/miel/status/1102689593432858624

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blood, soil, and snark

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

YouTube keeps trying to get me to watch this rear end but I haven't yet and you cant make me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Posted by a man on IWD trying to save face

His original post drew the comparison because his neighbours were unhappy about his signs saying we should stop a coal mine.