Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If you get BBC NI you can tune in now to see Bradley desperately genuflecting on The View to try to repair yesterday's disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1103780946363453440

https://twitter.com/UThuganomix/status/1103786194066984961

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/765537717866356736

Love to cite racists to bolster my anti-racist argument against the person I don't like.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol Bradley got eviscerated and said she was "responsible for the troubles" until hastily understanding what that sounds like

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
today’s highlight from the mother of all parliaments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltTRHY8zqg

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

Love to cite racists to bolster my anti-racist argument against the person I don't like.

That is kind of how it works though right? It's all in the game etc.

What is the UKMT consensus on Omar? Is she an antisemite or is she being smeared in the same way the UK left are?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Turned on question time and some guy thought that Owen Jones is in charge of the West Midlands police lol

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

What is the UKMT consensus on Omar? Is she an antisemite or is she being smeared in the same way the UK left are?

it's a smear;

(CNN) Democratic presidential candidates Sens. Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren on Wednesday defended Rep. Ilhan Omar against the backlash to her comments slamming pro-Israel groups and politicians, which have been called anti-Semitic.

Sanders, who is Jewish, said criticism of Omar and efforts to get her taken off the House Foreign Affairs Committee, primarily from House Republicans, are aimed at stopping a discussion about American's foreign policy toward Israel.

"What I fear is going on in the House now is an effort to target Congresswoman Omar as a way of stifling that debate," the Vermont independent said in a statement. "That's wrong."

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

A slightly-economic calamity for what?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Can you imagine if a Jewish POTUS told Israel to loving do one lmao.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Firos posted:

Bernie appoints Finkelstein ambassador to Palestine, netenyahu does the Pikachu face

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Unionist political commentator Sam McBride, known for his extensive work on RHI, saying he didn't think Bradley meant want she said but she is instead grossly incompetent and not fit for her job.

This is ain't going away

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Vitamin P posted:

Check the USPOL thread about that. From a brief read it looks like the GOP put forward a vote to condemn anti-semitic hate, the Dems responded with "Condemn all hate" then Steve King, GOP and self described nazi voted "present" and all the press are sharpening their knives to carve up the juicy hypocrisy.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

You know how it's taken three years for the people calling Corbyn an anti-semite to say that it's because of his stance on Israel and actually anti-capitalism itself is anti-Semitic?

America has started with that and are only going up.

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1103785327951532032

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

and actually anti-capitalism itself is anti-Semitic?

That is very clearly the end goal but are there any actual examples of that being presented?

The fact that equating anti-capitalism with antisemitism completely fucks over working/middle class jews and implicitly lets every other ethnicity of rich scumbag off the hook is legit one of the worst moments of late capitalism, death to Macron, death to Umunna, death to centrists.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

kustomkarkommando posted:

lol Bradley got eviscerated and said she was "responsible for the troubles" until hastily understanding what that sounds like

when westminster sends its people they're not sending their best

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

That is very clearly the end goal but are there any actual examples of that being presented?

The fact that equating anti-capitalism with antisemitism completely fucks over working/middle class jews and implicitly lets every other ethnicity of rich scumbag off the hook is legit one of the worst moments of late capitalism, death to Macron, death to Umunna, death to centrists.

Two MP's have said it this week. One of them being Joan Ryan, the woman filmed plotting to ruin critics of Israel with people supposedly representing Israeli lobbyists.

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1103348100368949249

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

She's one of the influx of new, unapologetic, leftist people of colour who just won't keep their mouths shut, so take a guess

First thing I think was when she dared to point out that a pro-Israel lobbying group *checks notes* ...lobbies US politicians to promote Israel's interests. People got extremely angry that she voiced this in public, and the defence was that actually, the group just makes its case to politicians and doesn't do the donation directly, its donors do that personally. Obviously this makes zero difference beyond "technically," but that got her labelled as an anti-semite

Then they got mad when she mentioned wanting to talk about "the political influence in this country that says that it’s ok for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country" in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Uw1cRBHKU

she's talking about people shutting down the debate and accusing people of hatred whenever they talk about trying to deal with the Palestine issue, but she's also been critical of Saudi Arabia's influence on the US government too (there's been attacks on her and Rashida Tlaib in the Arab press), so it's a wider problem she's talking about, and the way people who try to talk about it get demonised

Anyway that whole video is a pro-watch (you get used to the weird visual stuttering), judge for yourself. If nothing else skip to 4:55 to hear how she's frustrated with how representatives are selective about freedom and oppression, and the kind of poo poo these women face just for trying to make a difference. She owns

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Interview with John Bercow.

quote:

And in a moment that takes me aback, he begins to get incredibly emotional. “What we’ve got is a lot of very affluent people doing very well but people at the bottom of the pile, in many cases who really are trying…” and he pauses, eyes filling quickly with tears and voice cracking: “…you know they’re desperately struggling, they’re eking out an existence… And any serious party of government with an ounce of compassion should want to protect those people.”

Whole interview here:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/james-graham-john-bercow-brexit-backbenchers-speaker-profile

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
As the least bad Tory, Bercow will be in charge of distributing the blindfolds

He will be permitted two b&h

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

ofc the wider context is completely different, but it's still been quite interesting to look at how the american left has dealt with accusations of antisemitism vs the uk. i know the main difference is that ilhan didn't say anything antisemitic, whereas we have a lot of weirdos on the fringes of the left over here, but it seems to go deeper than that. anyone give me a few pointers explaining the differences? seems like the yanks are much more forthright in pushing back, thinking about how AOC has been savaged the last few days. maybe going too far? idk.

i had a read up on the campaign against antisemitism group who complained to the ECHR and they seem shady af, even if their complaints in this instance are warranted.

edit: my avatar is kind of growing on me haha

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 8, 2019

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Wasn't he given the speaker's job because he was dating or married to a Labour member and was vocally thinking about crossing over?

I really want to see Bercow in the elected upper house that corbyn proposed to replace the lords and police the commons. Imagine a whole chamber doing what Bercow does now but they get the benefit of video playback and leading investigations into corruption. It's May's vision of hell.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/Peoples_Britain/status/1103794986716446720

I'm guessing this was the highlight of QT.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Nope

It was the guy who thought Jones is personally in charge of the police

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

ofc the wider context is completely different, but it's still been quite interesting to look at how the american left has dealt with accusations of antisemitism vs the uk. i know the main difference is that ilhan didn't say anything antisemitic, whereas we have a lot of weirdos on the fringes of the left over here, but it seems to go deeper than that. anyone give me a few pointers explaining the differences? seems like the yanks are much more forthright in pushing back, thinking about how AOC has been savaged the last few days. maybe going too far? idk.

A big key difference is that in the US the accusation is rooted in one specific incident, where Omar accused the government of being unduly influenced by Israeli lobbyists. So to strike back against it you have a very clear case to rebuke. The argument might have moved on from there, but the accusers were immediately on the back foot. In the UK, meanwhile, it's all been much more "the left is antisemitic", no specific anecdotes, for a long time not even aimed specifically at Corbyn (ie it began with "antisemitism has risen under Corbyn's leadership" rather than calling the man himself an antisemite, though they eventually moved onto that). This is much harder to fight, since there is no actual case study to take a stance on, and since it's rooted in criticism of the movement as a whole you can find cases of clear-cut antisemitism to support that argument.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i like owen jones but i just cannot watch his tv stuff at all, i don't know what it is

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Ratjaculation posted:

Nope

It was the guy who thought Jones is personally in charge of the police

Oh yeah other than that of course.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It was the lady in the audience saying "only curtains is coloured".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

i like owen jones but i just cannot watch his tv stuff at all, i don't know what it is

watch it a few more times and get used to it bc the guy is one of the most articulate and smart leftist voices in the current media

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Necrothatcher posted:

watch it a few more times and get used to it bc the guy is one of the most articulate and smart leftist voices in the current media

I kind of get this though. When he's on something like QT he tries really hard to say things in a hard-hitting, impactful way but it seems like it doesn't come naturally to him.

At least I think it's that. He's still great though and got a lot of insightful stuff to say.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Firos posted:

I was really looking forward to Milliband becoming prime minister because I think having a Jewish world leader who was even slightly against Israel’s horribleness could have been a big deal.

A lost opportunity.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

I kind of get this though. When he's on something like QT he tries really hard to say things in a hard-hitting, impactful way but it seems like it doesn't come naturally to him.

feeling doubtful about a guy because he's totally correct but in a way you find slightly off-putting feels suspiciously like centrism.

and.. you guys aren't centrists, right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

gh0stpinballa posted:

i had a read up on the campaign against antisemitism group who complained to the ECHR and they seem shady af, even if their complaints in this instance are warranted.

edit: my avatar is kind of growing on me haha

Well there isn't actually any indication that the left wing has a particular problem with antisemitism - the opposite in fact
https://twitter.com/RizMokal/status/908200862031532034
(yoinked from the thread mehall posted earlier)
and I don't have data for the US, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's largely the same trend - anti-racism is a big part of left-wing identity, for the right wing it... is not!

So I dunno if it's necessarily that it's a more credible accusation here than in Omar's case or anything. But I feel like antisemitism as an actual political issue wasn't really even a thing in this country until recently - it would occasionally pop up, but not as a symptom of an established prejudice in society, so we're not really used to dealing with it. Whereas the US has had lobbying groups like the Anti-Defamation League for a long time, very vocal about perceived anti-semitism and holding people to account for it, and pushing a very pro-Israel line. And with Israel being such a major US ally in the Middle East, there are incredibly strong political ties there, and support for Israel (or lack of it) tends to be a major issue for politicians, both in elections and also in their actions while in office, which is why lobbying is such a factor in all this

So yeah, I think maybe US politicians are just more used to dealing with it, being prepared for criticism and having a response ready, and also maybe the public is more used to it too - like it's not "news" so much as it is here. When it all started springing up as a big political story it did sort of feel like importing American politics to me, especially with our own groups like the CAA making an appearance, but that might just be me being ignorant of their existence since (like I said) you didn't seem to hear much about it as a systemic problem, not to this extent anyway

:3:

Looks like the Taxpayers' Alliance was not happy about this

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Scrapping student fees and renationalising the utilities is waste of money, says Chuka Umunna

Ex-Labour MP issues 50-page pamphlet in first policy intervention since launching Independent Group – but denies it is new manifesto

Axeing tuition fees and renationalising the utilities are a waste of money, Chuka Umunna has said, in a first policy intervention since launching the Independent Group of MPs.

The former Labour politician also called for a big tax hike on shareholders receiving dividends, a “hypothecated” NHS tax and state funding of political parties to stop them being “the plaything” of the rich.

The “circus” of Prime Minister’s Questions should be scrapped and MPs moved to a new “horseshoe”-shaped chamber, instead of the big parties squaring off against each other, he added.

The ideas come in a 50-page pamphlet issued by Mr Umunna in “a personal capacity”, rather than reflecting “a manifesto” of the Independent Group, the 11-strong wouldbe party he helped set up last month.

Nevertheless, they will be seen as Mr Umunna’s attempt to stamp his influence on the grouping, after his appointment as its spokesman but not its leader.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-a8812751.html

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

we should change parliament so it benefits meeeeeeeee

can't wait for the other characters in The Independent Group to release their own independent, completely conflicting wishlists to really cement that sense of a group of independents

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 8, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Necrothatcher posted:

feeling doubtful about a guy because he's totally correct but in a way you find slightly off-putting feels suspiciously like centrism.

and.. you guys aren't centrists, right?

Nah you're right, that's not really what I'm trying to say though. I don't feel doubtful about the guy at all.

Just saying I can understand if anybody finds him a bit hard to listen to as I don't think he's a "natural" when it comes to that kind of speaking, in the way that e.g. Corbz is. And that's fine. I'm a rubbish public speaker. I think it's more of a fault with the format of QT than any flaw of Owen's.

I think I just prefer his style of speaking when he's a bit more at ease. He always seems more natural when he's e.g. doing 1 on 1 interviews and stuff like that.

For example this interview:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/...questions-video

I think he's great here. I could listen to him for hours doing stuff like this.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm glad that Umunna has called this out, because the Tories are famously in favour of re-nationalising utilities and scrapping tuition fees, which is proof that both Labour and the Conservatives are ideologically the same.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

In his defence the actual chambers should be redesigned. You can't even fit everyone in there if they bother to show up. There's also no voting at your seat and you have to file out to some other room to count the vote!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Lol that he wants a loving horseshoe theory chamber though.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

WhatEvil posted:

Lol that he wants a loving horseshoe theory chamber though.

Didn't want a full thunderdome I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

Nah you're right, that's not really what I'm trying to say though. I don't feel doubtful about the guy at all.

Just saying I can understand if anybody finds him a bit hard to listen to as I don't think he's a "natural" when it comes to that kind of speaking, in the way that e.g. Corbz is. And that's fine. I'm a rubbish public speaker. I think it's more of a fault with the format of QT than any flaw of Owen's.

I think I just prefer his style of speaking when he's a bit more at ease. He always seems more natural when he's e.g. doing 1 on 1 interviews and stuff like that.

For example this interview:

https://www.theguardian.com/global/...questions-video

I think he's great here. I could listen to him for hours doing stuff like this.

He just sounded genuinely angry to me, and he did a pretty good job of sounding controlled and getting his points across despite that. He usually has an easygoing style but I guess he wasn't in the mood for going easy on the subject?

And I'm gonna out myself here but I don't think Corbz is that good of a public speaker - he's obviously given some good barnstorming speeches, but sometimes in parliament he trips over his words a lot, and goes from normal TO EXTREMELY MAD!!!! out of nowhere like he's following directions on his speech so it sounds really performative and fake (especially when it's right at the end). And he does the opposite too, there was a speech recently after May did some poo poo, maybe after she lost that vote massively, where he was just... so... slow and... quiet and it had absolutely no energy at all, and this should have been a big rousing speech after a major government defeat. Starmer did a way better job tbh

But when he's in conversation he's great. I wish he'd get some coaching or something because a lot of the time he veers between authentic but low energy and performing but sounding really uncomfortable WITH IT MR SPEAKER!!!