Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Just want to pop in and say that cutting my caffeine down from X00 mg a day to 50 mg (or 1 8 oz. cup of black tea) has made a considerable dent in my anxiety and sleep problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just found out my first boyfriend got stabbed to death yesterday and I'm feeling all sorts of weird about it. A little panicky and fuzzy headed. I haven't really kept up with him since I was like 19 but I definitely wasn't expecting to scroll through google news and see him murdered. I somehow missed a bunch of snapchat messages from people telling me about it yesterday too so it was a little overwhelming opening them up and now trying to talk to everyone else who was a part or periphery to our friend group at the time

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

olives black posted:

Just want to pop in and say that cutting my caffeine down from X00 mg a day to 50 mg (or 1 8 oz. cup of black tea) has made a considerable dent in my anxiety and sleep problems.

This is actually a good point. I think a lot of office goons depend on coffee to power us through the day, but it seems like switching to half caff morning and decaf afternoon has made my life incredibly more pleasant.

also: venting goons, you are heard, I am reading every post in this thread. one love

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I just found out my first boyfriend got stabbed to death yesterday and I'm feeling all sorts of weird about it. A little panicky and fuzzy headed. I haven't really kept up with him since I was like 19 but I definitely wasn't expecting to scroll through google news and see him murdered. I somehow missed a bunch of snapchat messages from people telling me about it yesterday too so it was a little overwhelming opening them up and now trying to talk to everyone else who was a part or periphery to our friend group at the time

Sorry to hear that :(

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Despite years of therapy and being stable on medication, thinking about the future really stresses me out which makes things like budgets or social planning difficult.To even think about planning for the future in any capacity causes me great stress and anxiety as I genuinely have trouble imagining positives ahead of me or of myself. It seems like it's only going to get worse and worse, making it hard to plan ahead.

I really want things to get better but I start to feel like the ironic apocalypse jokes are right and it makes me sad.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Quicksilver6 posted:

Despite years of therapy and being stable on medication, thinking about the future really stresses me out which makes things like budgets or social planning difficult.To even think about planning for the future in any capacity causes me great stress and anxiety as I genuinely have trouble imagining positives ahead of me or of myself. It seems like it's only going to get worse and worse, making it hard to plan ahead.

I really want things to get better but I start to feel like the ironic apocalypse jokes are right and it makes me sad.

:same: as much as i enjoy reading c-spam, the "lol nothing matters" jokes can affect me mentally. like, what if nothing really matters? what if nothing changes and by the time i'm 40 i will be barely surviving in an honest-to-god post-apocalyptic world?

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

:agreed: I find that not making "lmao nothing matters" jokes helps a bit though. I once saved a document on how to deal with climate change anxiety, I'll post it here once I get home

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Thank you. And I don't begrudge anyone for using gallows humor to deal with life in general, it's just that the sheer unflinching torrent of "we're all gonna die, lol" for like 3-4 years now takes its toll. It starts to feel less like a refreshing sip of nihilism and more like being blasted with a neverending firehose of doom.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
an article about that ketamine-esque drug, esketamine:
Fast-Acting Depression Drug, Newly Approved, Could Help Millions

the website I found that link at has comments worth checking out:
https://www.metafilter.com/179772/The-move-heralds-a-shift-from-the-Prozac-era-of-antidepressant-drugs

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

dang

thats a ruff thing to read

i had somethign similar happen once, the first girl i ever kissed owned herself drunk driving, and it was a terrible thing to read :( let yourself grieve if you feel the need to.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
as a former death crew member I can 100% confirm that poo poo will destroy you if you wallow in it, it’s why I strapped this little raft together :unsmith:

don’t trump 24/7 it’s extremely bad for you

I have a support group buddy who uses micro doses of ketamine (under doctor supervision!) and he swears by it. i assume they found it by ramming particles of ketamine together at high speeds and creating microscopic k-holes. a special hardon kollider if you will

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i want to get the ketamine so bad

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Yeah if this had dropped yesterday I would have bothered my shrink about it.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
my old psychiatrist moved away a few months ago. luckily, other doctors/nurse practicioners in the same office were able to take over her appointments, so i didn't spend anytime between docs with noone to refill my meds.

my current antidepressant (viibryd), which i've been on for a while now, doesn't seem to work that well. my new dr, at my request, is switching me to another antidepressant the next time I go in. she put me on abilify ~a month ago because, apparently, having that in the mix while switching between SSRIs can make the transition easier. so far the abilify doesn't seem to effect me much. i guess i eat more, but that's it.

so, in a few weeks i guess i'll be trying prozac. if anyone has experience with it, let me know how it was. i'm hoping this one works; i've tried so many antidepressants over the years that pretty soon i'll have nothing left to try but tricyclics or MAOIs. or now i guess (hope?) some kind of ketamine treatment.

crossing my fingers that 1) a dem with a good healthcare plan is elected in 2020 2) is able to implement said plan 3) it covers that esketamine drug, because otherwise, given the cost, it's extremely unlikely i'd be able to try it even if my doctor thinks it's a good idea.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
An old injury flared up, immobizing me all week. I had been doing well, feeling good and pain-free for about six months, and now it's back to to being real bad all of a sudden. I had to cancel both weekday work plans and weekend social plans. Felt a jolt of pain today and dropped my phone, shattering the screen. Falling behind on work, and also feeling generally miserable and hopeless about the future. Very drained, low energy, demotivated and self-pitying at the moment.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

That sounds like it will take some time to fully process, and it is good to talk to people about your feelings

twoday
May 4, 2005

Pain sucks

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Short and sweet, but I finally got on mood stabilizers and I've felt better than I've ever felt in my life.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Any side effects?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Finicums Wake posted:

my old psychiatrist moved away a few months ago. luckily, other doctors/nurse practicioners in the same office were able to take over her appointments, so i didn't spend anytime between docs with noone to refill my meds.

my current antidepressant (viibryd), which i've been on for a while now, doesn't seem to work that well. my new dr, at my request, is switching me to another antidepressant the next time I go in. she put me on abilify ~a month ago because, apparently, having that in the mix while switching between SSRIs can make the transition easier. so far the abilify doesn't seem to effect me much. i guess i eat more, but that's it.

sertraline at 100 has been fantastic for me and one of the things the hospital tweaked that pulled me out of my tailspin.

ask about Wellbutrin and/or Deplin. they can supplement an ssri and make it actually work right. Prozac was ehnnnnnn for me mostly I got fuzzy headed.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Short and sweet, but I finally got on mood stabilizers and I've felt better than I've ever felt in my life.

grats op, welcome to bipolar crew :shepface::respek::shepface:

twoday posted:

Any side effects?

side effects may include: trump

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Any side effects?

Nausea, mainly, but nothing mood-related that I can tell. Aripiprazole to be exact. No light-headedness or dizziness as far as I can tell, but the nausea is a real thing I've noticed.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

An old injury flared up, immobizing me all week. I had been doing well, feeling good and pain-free for about six months, and now it's back to to being real bad all of a sudden. I had to cancel both weekday work plans and weekend social plans. Felt a jolt of pain today and dropped my phone, shattering the screen. Falling behind on work, and also feeling generally miserable and hopeless about the future. Very drained, low energy, demotivated and self-pitying at the moment.

these aren't going to offer any immediate solutions but are very good resources for learning about modern research on pain and pain management

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nifGFIuVkUk

https://www.painscience.com/articles/pain-is-weird.php

https://www.painscience.com/articles/structuralism.php

http://www.greglehman.ca/pain-science-workbooks

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Help, I was reading the climate change thread. :smith:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
One of the things I found to help is just to get a hobby.

Like learn to make bread. Kneading the dough can be nice and relaxing.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Finicums Wake posted:

so, in a few weeks i guess i'll be trying prozac. if anyone has experience with it, let me know how it was. i'm hoping this one works; i've tried so many antidepressants over the years that pretty soon i'll have nothing left to try but tricyclics or MAOIs. or now i guess (hope?) some kind of ketamine treatment.

After I got health insurance through my job a few years ago I finally was able to go into a doctor and talk about how awful I felt emotionally because of my depression. He put me on a low dose of fluoxetine (generic Prozac) and that ended up being mostly all I needed; we shuffled the dose up and down a bit to just see where my sweet spot was but overall my experience was positive.

When I started I noticed that I tended to hold on to the 'flavor' of my dreams between waking up in the morning and going to bed at night. This is a weird one and hard to describe in a more accurate way but it was the first thing I noticed. It also cut way down on the emotional symptoms of the depression (suicidal ideation, lack of interest in my hobbies, flattening out of emotions) and curbed but didn't completely get rid of the physical ones (hard to curb appetites, insomnia); to fully exorcise those I had to do some sort of exercise, pun sort of intended.

Between the medication and regular exercise I was able to function unless poo poo got really hectic, and by then I had set up enough support mechanisms and habits in my regular life that I was able to weather those. I also was able to start doing things like budgeting and planning ahead, setting and keeping financial goals, mostly sticking to a healthy diet (except when I stopped exercising and the carb cravings came back) which creates a nice little feedback loop when depression creeps back.

About the only other thing I noticed was a mild reduction in libido, but that's not something that matters all that much to me.

Anyway, YMMV but that's been my experience with it.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Speaking of climate change and hobbies, one of my favorite hobbies is birdwatching and just generally being in nature, but the past few years I can’t get past the voice in the back of my head reminding me that the planet is dying. :smith: Trying to live in the moment and just enjoy things as they are, but gently caress, man.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zyla posted:

i want to get the ketamine so bad

Yeah even my parents were hyping this up when I went out to lunch with them the other day. I mean actual ketamine always made me feel awesome so why not?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Yeah even my parents were hyping this up when I went out to lunch with them the other day. I mean actual ketamine always made me feel awesome so why not?

cspam.txt :hai:

redsniper posted:

Help, I was reading the climate change thread. :smith:

first thing to do is uh not do that. :v:

climate change is one of those things I’ve had to fight to let go of. we still need to effect whatever small changes we can, and we definitely need to appreciate what we have now, while it’s here, but stewing about it constantly will accomplish nothing to change it and everything to make you miserable.

of course that’s way way easier loving said than done :(

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I stopped reading the climate change thread too, but there are still a thousand other political things that I can't do anything about, and I don't want to completely shut myself off from all news of the outside world. I just try not to get into arguments about them, and try to keep to places online where people agree with me, because I'm a coward who can't handle a proper debate (or someone who doesn't want to make themselves ill trying and failing to force a word in edgeways, one of the two).

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
big mood today, thinkin bout dat hypomania

love 2 lock myself in a dark room under a weighted blanket to get my emotions under control

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

as a former death crew member I can 100% confirm that poo poo will destroy you if you wallow in it, it’s why I strapped this little raft together :unsmith:

in this metaphor I am a powerful dolphin effortlessly swimming through the treacherous waters and getting high off pufferfish

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

in this metaphor I am a powerful dolphin effortlessly swimming through the treacherous waters and getting high off pufferfish

:patriot:

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

cool dance moves posted:

:agreed: I find that not making "lmao nothing matters" jokes helps a bit though. I once saved a document on how to deal with climate change anxiety, I'll post it here once I get home

ok here's the pamphlet, courtesy of the Australian Psychological Society: Coping with Climate Change Distress

tl;dr: praxis is the best medicine, but also take time to talk to others about your fears and take up creative pursuits

Poniard posted:

:rock::rock::rock:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Panic Restaurant posted:

Speaking of climate change and hobbies, one of my favorite hobbies is birdwatching and just generally being in nature, but the past few years I can’t get past the voice in the back of my head reminding me that the planet is dying. :smith: Trying to live in the moment and just enjoy things as they are, but gently caress, man.

every time I go to the beach I end up going out until I'm up to my eyeballs while I stand. If I look out I see the void of the Gulf of Mexico, and when I turn back I see a coastline that will be ravaged within my lifetime. It's a hosed up dichotomy and the really sad thing is I usually can't even drum up the energy to go to the beach, or even exit my apartment, most days. Those beach experiences are me at my best.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

cool dance moves posted:

ok here's the pamphlet, courtesy of the Australian Psychological Society: Coping with Climate Change Distress

tl;dr: praxis is the best medicine, but also take time to talk to others about your fears and take up creative pursuits

:rock::rock::rock:

added the link to the op, keep em comin

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

olives black posted:

there's some cool retract research about timing caffeine with cortisol spikes throughout the day to reduce jitters that worked really well for me, I'll try and find it

also L-Theanine + caffeine is a godsend

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Esketamine is just the s isomer of ketamine which is normally racemic (the r isomer is a little less potent and has some slightly different affinities)

for what it's worth the FDA did some major fuckery on this and the numbers are pretty bad. ketamine is routinely outperformed by good old dextromethorphan (yes the cough syrup) for treating depression.

I've personally used both at a huge range of dosages for quite severe bipolar depression and I'll take the DXM any day of the week in terms of effectiveness. it's an NMDA antagonist like ketamine but the primary metabolites half life is waaaay longer so the mood lift lasts for weeks and not days.

the real magic is that it's also a very unusual SSRI that hits some very specific receptor subtypes that other ssris don't that do fun stuff like upregulate BDNF, increasing neuroplasticity like you see in traditional psychedelics

Moist von Lipwig has issued a correction as of 09:01 on Mar 9, 2019

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
now I'm not saying treat your depression with cough syrup buuut next time you're feeling down what do you have to lose by taking two tablespoons of Robitussin versus infusions of a drug that causes bladder cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Syzurp to cure depression. Got it. :v: