Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard this happens in parliament because it gets noisy there, but it's not always picked up by the mic, so if Corbyn appears to suddenly get shouty in the chamber it's because it's gotten louder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

painted into a coroner posted:

In his defence the actual chambers should be redesigned. You can't even fit everyone in there if they bother to show up. There's also no voting at your seat and you have to file out to some other room to count the vote!

There are a few valid things in there, it's just funny that they're mostly aimed at giving Chuka's Justice League a) more focus in parliament, b) more prominent seating in parliament, and c) public money (I just typed "public funny" because I was just thinking about how FUNNY it is for the people funded by mystery donors to pretend private donations are bad and wrong, maybe the fastest Chuka flip-flop yet?)

JFairfax posted:

I've heard this happens in parliament because it gets noisy there, but it's not always picked up by the mic, so if Corbyn appears to suddenly get shouty in the chamber it's because it's gotten louder.

no I mean where he reaches the "say this bit with feeling" line in his speech and instead of naturally raising to a crescendo he SUDDENLY SHOUTS LIKE HE'S ANGRY AS gently caress!!!!! like when the tabloids use a pic of him going >:0 for some story about Corbyn the hatemonger bully or whatever

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 8, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

baka kaba posted:

He just sounded genuinely angry to me, and he did a pretty good job of sounding controlled and getting his points across despite that.

No well, that's fair, I just think it's fine if somebody doesn't like listening to him for whatever reason and I get it a little bit (though I still think he's great overall and I'm also quite happy to watch his TV stuff).

baka kaba posted:

And I'm gonna out myself here but I don't think Corbz is that good of a public speaker

And again this is fine and a few people say that. IMO he's pretty good. I think May is beyond awful at public speaking but some people (mainly at the Guardian?) seem to think she's really good.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I agree with Whatevil that owen jones can be his own worst enemy sounding like a squeaky dweeb. Hes right about most everything. Although of course he didn't like Corbs to start with. I had a better word for him but I forgot it. Not horrible.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

JFairfax posted:

no, but in searching for this I found this article:

https://twitter.com/NaoiseDolan/status/1006248607362768897

https://twitter.com/nehashah_/status/1006477049110949888

Oxford University has been ridiculed on social media after an email seemingly implied the "highly developed social conscience" of students was drawing homeless people to the city.

It wrote to students to dissuade them from "trashing" - the tradition of covering each other with foam, confetti, champagne and eggs.

Naoise Dolan, who shared part of the email online, called its tone "unwise".

The university said it was an attempt to appeal to students' consciences.

Ms Dolan wrote on Twitter: "Senior officers of the university think that the city's high homeless rate is because they flock here on purpose to get spare change from student lefties.

"I'm not exaggerating, that's their take."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-44458321

Tbh there's probably some truth in this but also I expect it's also coupled with good access to services and the fact that there's gently caress all else in a 25 mile radius. Homeless folks aren't stupid, they're desperate.

Having said that, gently caress whatever the sentiment of that email is.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's a very subtle way to say "please don't feed the pigeons"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I agree with Whatevil that owen jones can be his own worst enemy sounding like a squeaky dweeb. Hes right about most everything. Although of course he didn't like Corbs to start with. I had a better word for him but I forgot it. Not horrible.

To be honest at the point where he was turning against Corbyn I can forgive the impotent despair given every almost poll had Labour utterly imploding.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I know a couple of pan-Africanists who prefer African over black, in the same way we tend to say Asian rather than brown (or funny tinge), but yeah nobody's losing their job for saying black.
I think 'ethnic origin' is one of the few safe ones left. Like obviously you can't assume someone is African, because their parents could have been Windrush gen and they were born and raised here by naturalised British Citizens. But you can say someone looks to have African (or non white) ethnic origin.

This is what makes the whole 'tinge' comment so loving stupid because problem language should not happen unless your meaning and the underlying biases it reveals are the real issue. Similarly, if you have bigoted opinions to share no amount of PC terminology is going to cover it up.

I just watched Rebel Wilson saying on Graham Norton "We don't really have African Americans in Australia," and it gave me a second of thinking it was an odd way to avoid saying black people, until I realised she can't really say "We don't have black people in Australia" because of the other racial fuckery her country has going on.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 8, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

To be honest at the point where he was turning against Corbyn I can forgive the impotent despair given every almost poll had Labour utterly imploding.

This thread wouldn't I don't think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This thread wouldn't I don't think.

We absolutely had the same attitude, maybe not turning against Corbs per se, but we were absolutely filled with impotent despair and the assumption that if anything, May was going to win an even bigger majority than she was hoping for.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

We absolutely had the same attitude, maybe not turning against Corbs per se, but we were absolutely filled with impotent despair and the assumption that if anything, May was going to win an even bigger majority than she was hoping for.

no you see, if you come into this thread with your takes and everyone calls you an idiot it's not cause you actually are an idiot but because we're just a ~hivemind~

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm a oval office and I wish I was dead.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 8, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 8, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 8, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

You okay there 99? If you're genuinely feeling that way then take a break from the Internet and get in contact with the Samaritans or the like.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Uh, you ok there bud?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

Lol that he wants a loving horseshoe theory chamber though.

I never actually thought about this before but I kinda like that our benches are opposing. A lot of governments do use an arc shaped chamber.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

This thread's view did turn around once the campaigning kicked in and it became obvious quite how big the gap between Corbyn and May is in terms of being effective political campaigners.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Dawn of Mars 8th.

21 days remain. (or 751 if delay)

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah I’m echoing what other people have said, I’ve always valued your posting and I hope you’re ok (didn’t see the original posts). we’re all friends here :)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Owen Jones is one of the left-wing lightning rods in this country. Like Corbyn and Abbott he is a major focus of hate from the right, but he's a stubborn gently caress playing an important role in standing up to it. I avoid the Twitter feeds of all three because of the sheer amount of abuse they receive, and respect them all for taking it in stride in a way I know I could not. There is plainly a strategy attempting to smear and grind down these figures because they're some of the most prominent lefties, and it's telling that this includes a lot of homophobic abuse towards Jones and racist and sexist abuse towards Abbott. Frankly I'm very grateful to them for continuing to fight for equality and leftism in spite of all this poo poo. It can't be good for their psychological health and it would be competely reasonable for them to give up the fight, but they just keep going. I love our stubborn do-gooders ;)

This is not to equate the volume and nature of abuse that each receives. Personally I find the treatment of Diane Abbott the most horrifying. Speaking of which, I remember something being posted about Diane Abbott's career and achievements that I'd like to see again (or something like it). I want to cite it the next time some oval office calls her an idiot to demonstrate that no, she's actually smarter than you, rear end in a top hat. I'll be a bit more polite than that though :D Does anyone have a link to something like that?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Braggart posted:

Owen Jones is one of the left-wing lightning rods in this country. Like Corbyn and Abbott he is a major focus of hate from the right, but he's a stubborn gently caress playing an important role in standing up to it. I avoid the Twitter feeds of all three because of the sheer amount of abuse they receive, and respect them all for taking it in stride in a way I know I could not. There is plainly a strategy attempting to smear and grind down these figures because they're some of the most prominent lefties, and it's telling that this includes a lot of homophobic abuse towards Jones and racist and sexist abuse towards Abbott. Frankly I'm very grateful to them for continuing to fight for equality and leftism in spite of all this poo poo. It can't be good for their psychological health and it would be competely reasonable for them to give up the fight, but they just keep going. I love our stubborn do-gooders ;)

This is not to equate the volume and nature of abuse that each receives. Personally I find the treatment of Diane Abbott the most horrifying. Speaking of which, I remember something being posted about Diane Abbott's career and achievements that I'd like to see again (or something like it). I want to cite it the next time some oval office calls her an idiot to demonstrate that no, she's actually smarter than you, rear end in a top hat. I'll be a bit more polite than that though :D Does anyone have a link to something like that?

Jack Monroe did an article that's probably what you're thinking of (e: found it https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2017/06/07/we-need-to-talk-about-diane-abbott-now-explicit-content/ )

Also if you have archives go check the June 2016 thread from page 200 for the good stuff

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 8, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I agree with Whatevil that owen jones can be his own worst enemy sounding like a squeaky dweeb.
There's something about his accent that reminds me a bit too much of PJW. Like I can never tell if the next part is going to be something well reasoned or trying to sell me brain hats to prevent Marxism.

Although there's a lot of English accents (particularly prestige ones) that set off my 'warning: torrent of shite to follow' detectors. Maybe he should get elocution lessons to acquire a nice radio friendly mid-Glamorgan accent, it'd fit his name well.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think 'ethnic origin' is one of the few safe ones left. Like obviously you can't assume someone is African, because their parents could have been Windrush gen and they were born and raised here by naturalised British Citizens. But you can say someone looks to have African (or non white) ethnic origin.
I can fully see where these guys are coming from though. If your great-great-whatever-grandad came to British East Africa from India as an indentured servant to build railways, and were given full British passports on completion of their indenture, and lived there for generations until your parents were kicked out of Uganda in '72 and went to Britain, what are you?

Most would say Asian or British Asian, even though the closest their family had been to Asia in over a century was when the plane carrying them went near Turkey. Very few would say 'brown' except jokingly.

So if a bunch of people are trafficked from West Africa to Jamaica, stripped of their heritage, and called 'negroes' because their only value was that a bunch of pseudoscientists thought that their melanated skin made them more suitable to labor in the tropics, I can understand why some of their descendants in the diaspora would want to reject 'blackness' and embrace 'Africanness', that black was always "what other people called us".

That said, I can also understand the position of people like Steve Biko and Mamphela Ramphele in the Black Consciousness Movement, that Blackness is a separate thing from Africanness, and both are things to be re-expropriated by the colonized from the colonizer and celebrated. It's definitely an ongoing discussion in the African/Black British community and one that isn't my call to make.

e: Oh, speaking of which, I can't wait for the racist brain genius takes on this to start emerging.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 8, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Braggart posted:

Has anyone ever looked into whether the Prime Minister gets a comparable amount of abuse online? Is it accepted as part of the job or do the security services get involved, even when it isn't necessarily a credible threat.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It's International Women's Day today, which means Richard Herring is doing his best to try and reply to everyone all day asking when International Men's Day is. It's a great thing to watch.

https://twitter.com/Herring1967/status/1103934010869182470

He does it to raise money for Refuge which is a good charity. Here's the link if anyone wants to chuck a few quid that way.

https://www.gofundme.com/whensinternationalmensday2019?pc=&rcid=r01-155202652268-37fe2c86d0c3472b

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Aphex- posted:

It's International Women's Day today, which means Richard Herring is doing his best to try and reply to everyone all day asking when International Men's Day is. It's a great thing to watch.

He does it to raise money for Refuge which is a good charity. Here's the link if anyone wants to chuck a few quid that way.

https://www.gofundme.com/whensinternationalmensday2019?pc=&rcid=r01-155202652268-37fe2c86d0c3472b

Lol at being so insecure in your fragile masculinity that you need a "Why dont we get one too" response to this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aphex- posted:

https://twitter.com/Herring1967/status/1103949229783990278

Small world we live in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They've gone all in on blaming the EU for the backstop causing Mays deal to fail

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1103922602001612801?s=19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The internet is surreal, and sometimes I find it surreal how accustomed we are to that

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol at the loving gall of a Tory accusing the EU of injecting poison into our relationship

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/rbrooks45/status/1103708134902779905?s=19

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Jose posted:

They've gone all in on blaming the EU for the backstop causing Mays deal to fail

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1103922602001612801?s=19

“Woman with gun to head in bank screaming that If the bank doesn’t empty the vault into her carpet bag she’ll pull the trigger and it will be the bank Staffs fault she’s dead and they’ll take the blame for it”

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe the UK shouldn't have agreed to it if they weren't actually gonna agree to it.

If only someone had suggested this might be a problem when you first did it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remarkable thread - not for any individual tweet, but for al these takes coexisting with each other.

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1103737043430096896?s=21

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

does he just like people shouting at him for whatever reason, has that been the thing this whole time

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was a sex thing all along.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Making a tweet that he knew would get a reply that would be posted ITT is a pretty loving clever way of posting here without eating another ban tbf

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Quoting this again because it was loving ace.

Particularly enjoyed Raab's face in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
didn't see this bit of bad news posted earlier

Civilian death toll from UK airstrikes in Syria rises to 1 after "tragic failure" of magic spell to turn everyone in bomb's blast radius into a terrorist, RAF confirms