Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

Captain Marvel: The best recruitment movie for the Air Force/Military since Top Gun.

Seriously, having military jets fly over a goddamn movie premiere is pretty loving pathetic and desperate.

Its funny because the actual film doesnt glorify the military at all, she's always insulted by guys and her wife says the air force would only let women fly test planes
Its also funny the studio didnt want the girls to kiss on screen. Cant risk boycotts from chuds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

McCloud posted:

Hey guys, remember when we talked about how access media won't give bad reviews for fear of being blackballed?

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1103524417190092800?s=19

"They do it for 'fear of losing access' if they give bad reviews." Yeah, no poo poo; this is what happens when Disney's monopoly power & influence becomes comically absurd. This is literally the Movie Studio equivalent of Too Big to Fail.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Slutitution posted:

Captain Marvel: The best recruitment movie for the Air Force/Military since Top Gun.

Seriously, having military jets fly over a goddamn movie premiere is pretty loving pathetic and desperate.

Military jets fly over college football games. Not even important ones

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Military jets fly over college football games. Not even important ones

This is America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPeGPwGKe8

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Here's a question though....how old and how online are you?

Because I'm the same way, but I'm also 35 this year and [see regdate]. Whereas I know a lot of people under 30 and didn't live through the entire internet being that way for like a decade who are still totally all in on pop culture references and TJ Miller riffing dialogue.

Late 30's, I understood all the references, I just got tired of the movie screeching to a halt every few minutes because of fourth wall breaking jokes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Its funny because the actual film doesnt glorify the military at all, she's always insulted by guys and her wife says the air force would only let women fly test planes
Its also funny the studio didnt want the girls to kiss on screen. Cant risk boycotts from chuds
Wait is Captain Marvel supposed to be gay? I'm confused. Or am I just missing :thejoke: about Top Gun being super gay

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shazam! social media embargo lifts at 6PM pacific tonight. :wow:

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

McCloud posted:

Hey guys, remember when we talked about how access media won't give bad reviews for fear of being blackballed?

Is that a critic of the rotten tomatoes website, a person who makes criticisms on the rotten tomatoes website, or like, and acutal, paid, professional movie critic? It's very vague and anonymous

edit: it's this guy:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/dany-roth/tv

18 reviews, literally all of them are for episodes of Supergirl: Season 2. A true giant of the industry

Goffer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 7, 2019

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

McCloud posted:

Hard hitting news from the Twitter user who brought us this

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1102137645847793664?s=19

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Oasx posted:

Late 30's, I understood all the references, I just got tired of the movie screeching to a halt every few minutes because of fourth wall breaking jokes.

A lot of them just plain don't make sense unless you're our age but then again I remember enjoying a lot of MST3k as a young kid and it didn't require knowing the joke behind every reference.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Hard hitting news from the Twitter user who brought us this

https://twitter.com/Dataracer117/status/1102137645847793664?s=19

lol what

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Because I'm the same way, but I'm also 35 this year and [see regdate]. Whereas I know a lot of people under 30 and didn't live through the entire internet being that way for like a decade who are still totally all in on pop culture references and TJ Miller riffing dialogue.

I'm really had to please wrt comedy films to the point that I think that I've reached a point where films that advertise having a heavy comedy focus are immediately less interesting to me.

I thought both Deadpool films were intensely unfunny. I loving hated the Lego Movie (to the point that I almost wanted to walk out of the theater). But at the same time, I loving love me some Taika Waititi films and love poo poo like What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

got any sevens posted:

Wait what

Captain Marvel has gay?

Joke aside can some one clarify this

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Wait what

Captain Marvel has gay?

Joke aside can some one clarify this

Its pretty strongly implied

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The Lego movies are for actual children at or around the age of the live action child who is in the main movie tho

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if there are any real hints that Carol's relationships with Rambeau or Lawson were anything more than platonic. Just saying so nobody goes in too excited.

edit: A couple of male(?) Kree do flirt a bit.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 8, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
There's a character named Rambeaux?

5 stars.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's a character named Rambeaux?

5 stars.

She's Marvel's original Captains Marvel. Goes by Photon nowadays, and was one of the stars of Marvel's best comic Nextwave.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She's there as a kid, but the main Rambo in the movie is her mom.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't think it's this. That's how Deadpool's character has always been. He's being intentionally irritating, and everyone is constantly talking about how annoying he is. Recognizing this is the key to liking Deadpool, but if you're not on board then you will hate him as was his intention.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

got any sevens posted:

Its pretty strongly implied

Disney is still afraid of women kissing onscreen in 2019. Goddamn.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think Disney should always sprinkle a little harlmess gay in their movies, that way it becomes super easy to identify who is a huge piece of poo poo when they complain about it. Like everyone that got mad at the gay dude in Beauty and the Beast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slutitution posted:

Disney is still afraid of women kissing onscreen in 2019. Goddamn.

Do you have any idea how much money Disney makes from right-wing Christians?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chuds believe that Larson's statements has reduced Captain Marvel's opening box office predictions by 100 million.

Cythereal posted:

Do you have any idea how much money Disney makes from right-wing Christians?

The 700 Club is still on Disney's Freeform (ABC Family) despite the rebranding as Disney's equivalent of The CW.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think Disney should always sprinkle a little harlmess gay in their movies, that way it becomes super easy to identify who is a huge piece of poo poo when they complain about it. Like everyone that got mad at the gay dude in Beauty and the Beast.

Here's the thing though- a lot of people that got mad at the gay dude in Beauty and the Beast got mad because Disney built that up as a huge thing

Around the short fat comic relief character who's name is literally the Fool.

And then it amounted to him making a vague reference of maybe being gay at the very end that you could miss if you blinked.

What I'm trying to say is Disney is a lovely company run by cretins and monsters. I think I came up with a pithier way to express that earlier on in this thread but gently caress if I care enough to go back and check

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Chuds believe that Larson's statements has reduced Captain Marvel's opening box office predictions by 100 million.

The 700 Club is still on Disney's Freeform (ABC Family) despite the rebranding as Disney's equivalent of The CW.

To be fair, they're stuck with a legacy contract that is air tight.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think it's this. That's how Deadpool's character has always been. He's being intentionally irritating, and everyone is constantly talking about how annoying he is. Recognizing this is the key to liking Deadpool, but if you're not on board then you will hate him as was his intention.

Yeah but over the years he's changed from being Bugs Bunny by way of David Spade to the walking talking subreddit that will never die.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Shazam social media embargo lifted. Nearly universal positive reactions, on the level that Wonder Woman was received it feels like.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just got out of Captain Marvel (also first time seeing a movie in Dolby Atmos) and overall I really enjoyed it.

Only "criticism" I have is that they gave Rambeax (Rambo? Rambeau?) a loving terrible haircut. Lady was rocking a head like a mushroom.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Captain Carol was alright. I love Brie Larson, but she might have been the weakest part of the movie. That, or the script did the character no favors. Feels like she was playing flat from start to finish, even after all the supposed character growth. Ben Mendelsohn gets to have a lot of fun hamming it up and it was fun to see him let loose a little bit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Captain Marvel in general just seems like a boring, poorly written character in the source material. I could not get into her comics at all.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Saw Captain Marvel. Didn't really like it.

But I'm not sure why it's getting worse reviews than other Marvel films. I mean, it's not good, but neither are they and it is in no way any worse than they are. I can only assume there is some sexism in criticism or the MCU has gotten overexposed and that's what the critics are reacting to.

Larson isn't terrible in the lead, but she doesn't have much to do except make deadpan jokes and smirk slightly. She plays it kinda distant, which I assume is a deliberate choice, but it means that when she has a scene with Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau or Ben Mendelsohn or Nick Fury or Jude Law or a cat, she comes off as less engaging than them, so the supporting cast outshines her.

I think the movie also suffers from a second act revelation that should shock the audience, but anybody with half a brain has picked up on it from the first minute Really, is it any shock the Krees are heels and the Skrulls babyfaces? The Kree are obviously lying to Carol from the jump, so when revealed it's just "Yes, we know. Anything else?" Although I don't think I've ever seen Ben Mendelsohn play a sympathetic character before, that's new. This means the audience spends a good amount of time waiting for the characters catch up to what we already have guessed. I think maybe writing Carol as having no memory was a mistake.

And on to the dread spectre of feminism. I mean, it's fine, it's just for me (a straight white dude) it is delivered with no feeling or impact. Carol Danvers has been a tomboy who has been told all her life that she's not good enough and she should quit ("There's a reason it's called a COCKpit"!). She then finds her inner strength and says "I am good enough and I don't have anything to prove". The End. That's the entire movie. And when I say "inner strength" what I mean is her superpowers that she got by accident. It's not a terrible message, but it is delivered just as bluntly as I said here, so it doesn't land (at least for me, YMMV). And I know what they were going for, but I just about died from vicarious embarrassment when No Doubt's "Just a Girl" played.

A far more interesting character than Carol in this very movie is Rambeau. She suffered all the same bullshit as Carol and then lost her best friend, left the air force and started here own plane business (?), raised her daughter by herself and when Carol returns she helps her defeat aliens, including flying to outer space and beating a superior alien craft in a dogfight, something Carol failed to do earlier. . A movie about her would have been much cooler.

And this is just a quibble, but why is the development of a "light-speed engine" so game-changing when everybody can already jump across star-systems and even from galaxy to galaxy (if we can believe the dialogue)?

On the positive side, one of the end credits teasers is just a scene from Endgame (I'm assuming). The Russos have really perfected the art of making movies look as uninteresting as possible, it looks like a tv show not good enough to be on Sci-Fi.

And the action scenes are boring and weightless, but you knew that already.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

teagone posted:

Captain Marvel in general just seems like a boring, poorly written character in the source material. I could not get into her comics at all.

Seems to be one of those characters we're told people like, but with absolutely no adequately articulated reason why.

Basically a female Hal Jordan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Often end credit stuff is shot really late in the game and only for like a half a day or something. I don’t remember them using an actual scene in any of them besides that one scene in Black Panther with Bucky , but that could’ve been two different scenes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seems to be one of those characters we're told people like, but with absolutely no adequately articulated reason why.

Basically a female Hal Jordan.

It's very much this, sincerely. Carol Danvers was a B-team player for a very long time, even as recently as Bendis' run on New Avengers, but there was a sudden corporate push to make her a AAA character. It's like Marvel woke up one day and realized they had no Wonder Woman. Then they proceeded to poo poo all over her forced character development with stuff like Civil War II.

Just dig into Ms. Marvel instead. Better by incredible leaps and bounds.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

garycoleisgod posted:

I think the movie also suffers from a second act revelation that should shock the audience, but anybody with half a brain has picked up on it from the first minute Really, is it any shock the Krees are heels and the Skrulls babyfaces? The Kree are obviously lying to Carol from the jump, so when revealed it's just "Yes, we know. Anything else?" Although I don't think I've ever seen Ben Mendelsohn play a sympathetic character before, that's new. This means the audience spends a good amount of time waiting for the characters catch up to what we already have guessed. I think maybe writing Carol as having no memory was a mistake.
Hey, the lady next to me gasped at this revelation. Although I will say having some comics knowledge:

I didn't expect them to make the skrulls sympathetic. That kind of took me by surprise despite the twist. I kept waiting for the ol' double cross. I guess there's no room for nuance in Marvel movies where someone has to be the capital B bad guy and the other people.. not.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Often end credit stuff is shot really late in the game and only for like a half a day or something. I don’t remember them using an actual scene in any of them besides that one scene in Black Panther with Bucky , but that could’ve been two different scenes.

I think the end credit scene from the first Captain America was also just a scene from the first Avengers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CIA blackout. Where’s the Captain Marvel thread?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

Hey, the lady next to me gasped at this revelation. Although I will say having some comics knowledge:

I didn't expect them to make the skrulls sympathetic. That kind of took me by surprise despite the twist. I kept waiting for the ol' double cross. I guess there's no room for nuance in Marvel movies where someone has to be the capital B bad guy and the other people.. not.

To be honest I'm pretty glad they didn't make the group of refugees fleeing dictators into secret villains considering the current climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Chairman Capone posted:

I think the end credit scene from the first Captain America was also just a scene from the first Avengers.

I think it was just a short trailer.

Also the end credit scene in the first Ant-Man is a scene from Civil War (Bucky with his arm in the vice)