Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Doc Walrus posted:

stromb

stromb

that looks good

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
those stroms are too fancy looking

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I need to try making stromb sometime. What kind of pizza dough should I get? Or should I try making it myself?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Make it yourself. Pizza dough is super easy.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

I need to try making stromb sometime. What kind of pizza dough should I get? Or should I try making it myself?

do you have a kichenaid mixer?

e: got a strombo and cheezer coming

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Mar 8, 2019

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
carb free strombo w/a cauliflower dough

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mormonpartyboat posted:

carb free strombo w/a cauliflower dough

nope

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

do you have a kichenaid mixer?

e: got a strombo and cheezer coming

No :negative: I don't have room for any more kitchen gadgets

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

No :negative: I don't have room for any more kitchen gadgets

you dont need a kitchenaid for pizza dough and in fact its kind of easier without one b/c pizza dough is all about two things:

1) texture (which you feel, with your hands)
2) waiting for it to rise before you punch it, which gets into a highly individualized Time Management conversation

thats really the big gently caress about pizza: you cannot rush the rise, really. if we could make pizza with the ease of drop biscuits there'd never need to be another food.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's also fine just to buy it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

big trivia FAIL posted:

not halal but i made swine and sauteed spinach because we eat too much chicken. those are shallot and garlic bits in the spinach.

very well plated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYdSx45_ceg

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

hi cooking thread

today is part day 2 of my 3-day quest to make the following things for sunday

pretzel-bunned hand pies stuffed w/ irish cheddar/guinness chicken pot pie style filling
packzi donuts that i had to* get everclear for
and a gluten-free key lime pie (i cheated by buying gluten-free graham crackers) because i feel like showing up to brunch with just the above would be a slap in the face to the celiac disease haver(s) there, one of whom has the nicest rescue greyhound named :swoon: rhubarb :swoon:

dunno what i'm gonna use for donut stuffing. raspberry, i guess.

i just finished browning chicken. onward :black101:

*:airquote:

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

*extremely singing my song voice* :sax: cooking with beer /
means you get /
to drink beer also :cheers:

:sax:

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

juche avocado posted:

*extremely singing my song voice* :sax: cooking with beer /
means you get /
to drink beer also :cheers:

:sax:

It is the best. I love drinking a dark beer that I just poured half of into chili as it simmers.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I did the same thing today

It was great

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Poland your chemistry trick is very good but also it, the 75.5% alcohol, does kind of kill the yeast so what am I supposed to do here

do i let myself be torn apart by two competing regional powers about it :/

twoday
May 4, 2005

What is the best (weird) combo of pizza toppings?

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

1.Smoked salmon, capers, goat cheese w/ olive oil as your sauce. Add the smoked salmon after taking the pizza out of the oven

2.Cheap store-bought queso with sour cream mixed in as your sauce, mozzerella/cheddar cheese mix, topped with chicken and pickled jalapenos

I've always thought "BBQ Death Match" would be a great name for a pizza but I don't know what all I'd put on it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

twoday posted:

I've been trying to make pepperoni + banana peppers a thing but no one else that I know likes it. It's not that weird!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

I've been trying to make pepperoni + banana peppers a thing but no one else that I know likes it. It's not that weird!

I love that combo. Doesn't seem like an oddball choice at all-- pickled peppers of any kind go great with pepperoni. Speaking of pickles, thick-sliced pickles are a fantastic topping and I've never met someone who agrees with me on that

twoday you could also make an enchilada pizza with enchilada sauce, hatch green chiles, pickled jalapenos, ground beef, a lil bit of chorizo, and a whole lot of mexican mixed cheese

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

That sounds good, maybe with some mushrooms

twoday
May 4, 2005

Fresh sardines roasted in a mix of:
- olive oil
- dijon
- garlic
- paprika
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper

Bake at 420 for 20 minutes, while boiling spaghetti

Saute onions, garlic, capers in olive oil, toss with pasta, a bit of reserved pasta water, bread crumbs, and parsley

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SARDS

twoday
May 4, 2005

Very goony breath smell rn

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

:hmmyes:

also, 15 of the 16 beans in that soup

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

2DCAT posted:

:hmmyes:

also, 15 of the 16 beans in that soup

what bean dont you like?

I need to make that sometime soon, this week is going to be instant pot corned beef and cabage though.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Plinkey posted:

what bean dont you like?

I need to make that sometime soon, this week is going to be instant pot corned beef and cabage though.

i like them all, but i only like 15 beans max in my soups

twoday
May 4, 2005

How do you corn your beef, plink?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

twoday posted:

the same way people in pittsburgh chip chop there ham?

also, this thread has put me in a predicament.... my partner is making a italian cioppino, yet i know want either a stromboli or calzone :thunk:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Aint no such thing as an Italian cioppino, it's as American as fortune cookies

quote:

Cioppino was developed in the late 1800s by Italian immigrants who fished off Meiggs Wharf and lived in the North Beach neighborhood of San Francisco, many from the port city of Genoa. When a fisherman came back empty handed, they would walk around with a pot to the other fishermen asking them to chip in whatever they could. What ever ended up in the pot became their Cioppino. The fishermen that chipped in expected the same treatment if they came back empty handed in the future. It later became a staple as Italian restaurants proliferated in San Francisco.

Chip-in-o

As for your dilemma, wrap the cioppino in dough and bake it

SEASTROMB

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Doc Walrus posted:

I love that combo. Doesn't seem like an oddball choice at all-- pickled peppers of any kind go great with pepperoni. Speaking of pickles, thick-sliced pickles are a fantastic topping and I've never met someone who agrees with me on that

twoday you could also make an enchilada pizza with enchilada sauce, hatch green chiles, pickled jalapenos, ground beef, a lil bit of chorizo, and a whole lot of mexican mixed cheese

My man, let's get pizza together sometime.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

This solves my longstanding dilemma of wanting to make a taco pizza but also thinking that lettuce on a pizza is bullshit

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

I usually sous vide and do the cabage and carrots separatly it and comes out amazing, going to try the instapot this year though roughtly following this:

https://stripedspatula.com/instant-pot-corned-beef/

previous years sous vide (I'll usually load of on 4-5 of them when they go on sale for 89c a pounder after st patricks day):

e: I think that was home made dutch oven sourdough too. I had a shitload of free time when I lived in the middle of nowhere desert, CA.

Ehh maybe not, i don't think I ever put seeds and poo poo on the top.

Plinkey has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Mar 10, 2019

twoday
May 4, 2005

I don't know much about it but I think I made it once many years ago and it involved marinating the beef for a few days in some kind of spiced brine

They both look very hardy and good

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twoday posted:

I don't know much about it but I think I made it once many years ago and it involved marinating the beef for a few days in some kind of spiced brine

yeah, this time of year you get a brine packet with the corned beef. I think i vacced it in the bag with the packet and let it sit in the fridge for a day or two before about 16 hours in the tepid puddle bath.

e: Here's entirly too many words on sous vide corned beef.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

C-Euro posted:

My man, let's get pizza together sometime.

:hai:

twoday posted:

This solves my longstanding dilemma of wanting to make a taco pizza but also thinking that lettuce on a pizza is bullshit

You could also make a hummus pizza with feta, mozzarella, roasted red pepper, spinach, and sliced garlic

Or make a black bean sauce for a feijoada pizza with ground pork (not sausage), bacon, and at least one entire onion

I worked at Domino's for four years and holy gently caress, we got tired of normal pizza fast

twoday
May 4, 2005

One pizza combo I remember once having was salty meaty proscuitto, pungent blue cheese, sweet pear, and spicy arugula. The pears can't be too ripe otherwise the sweetness is sickening, and the arugula must be in season and potent, but the general idea is that you create a balance out of 4 relatively strong flavors that you wouldn't expect would go together

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Tonight it's stir fried pork and veggies in a tasty garlic ginger sauce with a splash of chili oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

i literally had this 3 weeks ago