Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The poo poo that really gets to me are the Reddit posts from people talking about how "true fans" need to "support the game" to make sure it can get through these rough spots.

It's just one of the stupidest takes I can imagine. "Hey, guys, lets throw money at this bad product because we ~believe in the devs~ and maybe one day it will be good if we just ~support~ them enough!" gently caress off with that poo poo. Anyone who actually believes that is being taken for a ride and deserves what's coming to them.

So much of this is hanging on BioWare nostalgia, too, but BioWare's just a name at this point. The people who made the games that made people like that studio in the first place are long gone. The name isn't worth poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

teh_Broseph posted:

X-Wing and TIE fighter are still in my opinion the BEST space dogfighting games. The balance was great and it was skillful yet simple.

I'm pretty sure Star Wars Battlefront 2 is included with Origin Access, it has a starfighter battle mode which is almost like playing OG X-wing TIE fighter with modern graphics and people still play it enough to get in a game and have fun.

I say this as someone who was foolish enough to own the actual game, and I play it for exactly that reason.

CitizenConned
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

The poo poo that really gets to me are the Reddit posts from people talking about how "true fans" need to "support the game" to make sure it can get through these rough spots.

It's just one of the stupidest takes I can imagine. "Hey, guys, lets throw money at this bad product because we ~believe in the devs~ and maybe one day it will be good if we just ~support~ them enough!" gently caress off with that poo poo. Anyone who actually believes that is being taken for a ride and deserves what's coming to them.

So much of this is hanging on BioWare nostalgia, too, but BioWare's just a name at this point. The people who made the games that made people like that studio in the first place are long gone. The name isn't worth poo poo.

I love this game so much. I think the last time I loved a game this much was probably WoW vanilla in 2004. I pray people stick with it and the devs can add more content soon for the community to grow and prosper.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Harrow posted:

TRUE FANS OF ANTHEM UNITE! ALL THREE OF US MUST BAND TOGETHER AND SHOW SUPPORT TO BIOWARE!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I can understand wanting Bioware to somehow pull through and fix this, because having more good games is a good thing, but the diehard defenders are just sad. The lesson of "[insert company name here] is not your friend" remains unlearned.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking personally I won't be satisfied until every person on the dev team has to eat a piece of cat poo poo Anchorman-style on their stupid weekly twitch stream.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
The game definitely doesn't have enough content but that reddit collage from the trailer is not worth getting upset over. It's a bunch of minor things that'd be nice to have but not much more. The weird implication is that if any of that stuff was in the game at release, the game'd be a whole lot better or more complete. No, it wouldn't

Hip Gelatinous Cube
May 30, 2001

what up

Ice Fist posted:

TRUE FANS OF ANTHEM UNITE! ALL THREE OF US MUST BAND TOGETHER AND SHOW SUPPORT TO BIOWARE!

Anthem may not have romance options but True Fans know that the real endgame is to romance BioWare itself

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I applaud you for browsing reddit sorted by new, but I just can't do it for that reason: too much poo poo to wade through to get to the gold.

hosed up, I know: I'm selfishly gaining from others doing the dirty work.

So thanks again: helping the good content filter through.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Thread title “Anthem: Flyover Country” please

Bad vibes from Trailer 1 crew. :(

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Harrow posted:

I don't think anyone has ever advocated spending more money on this game. As far as I can tell, 'supporting' this game just means being nice to the developers while they put in the hard work of fixing the game.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

In a dark and stuffy room, before a monitor speckled with the debris of a thousand lonely meals, sits Peechka, tittering quietly to himself as he clicks Submit Link on /r/The_Donald and begins typing: "I just epically triggered a bunch of snowflake libtards,"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
BioWare stans are rooting for Anthem to succeed because if Anthem fails the chances of getting another Dragon Age or Mass Effect in a timely fashion go down dramatically, simple as that imo

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Does anyone have a gif of that stupid dance that Yarrow does?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

BioWare stans are rooting for Anthem to succeed because if Anthem fails the chances of getting another Dragon Age or Mass Effect in a timely fashion go down dramatically, simple as that imo

They do not actually want that, out of what this dev has become.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pattonesque posted:

EA owns those so they'll just get someone competent to make DA4

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

precision posted:

EA ... get someone competent...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Pattonesque posted:

chances of getting another (...) Mass Effect
those have been zero for 2 years now

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

bioware died when they turned their back on romance

I wish you could gently caress the Javelins instead of just climbing inside them

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
EA is confused now that there are people actively baying for the final deathblow to BioWare in the name of video game purity. It may be more willing to keep the corpse going even though it wasted 6 years, who knows how much money and man power to produce -- this.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

DancingShade posted:

I don't know why Bioware didn't do the obvious and simply crank out visual romance novels based on their IPs every 3-6 months. I'm sure they could shove some microtransactions in there somewhere.

you might be joking, but its actually, honestly very suprising that bioware never collabed with telltale to pump out some mass effect or dragon age visual novel shovelware

5er
Jun 1, 2000

gently caress this game.

Started it up (PS4) half an hour ago. Began a stronghold. One of the players isn't moving. At all. AFK or something. Wasn't a problem until we cleared the first area and needed to move on to the second. loving door wouldn't open unless everyone was present, and there was no teleport demand.

GREAT DESIGN CHOICE, ASSHOLES. I calm down and just quit the stronghold. Figure I'll just do another.

Wait to get back to hub, then immediately queue up for another stronghold.

After waiting about four minutes, I realize this load screen is never going to end. Nice throwback to demo weekend.

So I kill the game entirely and go to restart. Load screen from restarting also gets stuck for four+ minutes before I give the gently caress up.

gently caress this game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

They do not actually want that, out of what this dev has become.

They're not nuanced enough to know that, these are folks who fuckin LOVE Andromeda because you can kiss an alien, that's pretty much all they want, full stop

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's pretty amazing that despite being desperate to teleport you to your friend 5 meters in front of you 90% of the time, this game still manages to have points where you actually need it to teleport someone but it won't.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pattonesque posted:

They're not nuanced enough to know that, these are folks who fuckin LOVE Andromeda because you can kiss an alien, that's pretty much all they want, full stop

i've seen people unironically defend dragon age 2

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Moola posted:

I wish you could gently caress the Javelins instead of just climbing inside them

You're far more inside them this way than loving them, so this is an improvement?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

my one defense of it is that the musical cue that plays after you complete a quest in Dragon Age 2 unironically owns, it's kind of lush and sad and was entirely appropriate to the game DA2 wanted to be

also it's better than Andromeda in that it did not kill a whole franchise lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

those have been zero for 2 years now

one day (likely more than five years) there will be another game set in the Mass Effect universe if for no other reason than it is an established franchise with name recognition and a built-in audience who will pre-order it

whether it's good is another thing entirely

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Pattonesque posted:

one day (likely more than five years) there will be another game set in the Mass Effect universe if for no other reason than it is an established franchise with name recognition and a built-in audience who will pre-order it

whether it's good is another thing entirely

Only after we get the obligatory Mass Effect Remastered Edition, Complete Remastered Edition, and the Commander Shepard 4K2 Complete Remastered Edition.

For all three Mass Effect games.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
TBH I'd kill to redo the Mass Effect trilogy with a unified game engine and mechanics, along with editing the story in parts (mostly to make ME3 more cohesive with the series instead of Geth Pinocchio and :speculate:). It'll never happen because money and pride, but it'd be pretty great.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

isk posted:

TBH I'd kill to redo the Mass Effect trilogy with a unified game engine and mechanics, along with editing the story in parts (mostly to make ME3 more cohesive with the series instead of Geth Pinocchio and :speculate:). It'll never happen because money and pride, but it'd be pretty great.

Wasn’t eventual explanation about the Reapers was originally that they were originally supercomputers created to solve the problem of dark energy destroying the universe and the cycle they were in was their last chance? I always thought that was more keeping with the theme of Mass Effect instead of the whole synthetics vs organics thing they tried to push.

I mean, ultimately the reapers, under that assumption, were just another example of people refusing to come together even when the figurative barbarians are at the gate, and you are there to create unity, though peace or by gunpoint.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Unlucky7 posted:

Wasn’t eventual explanation about the Reapers was originally that they were originally supercomputers created to solve the problem of dark energy destroying the universe and the cycle they were in was their last chance? I always thought that was more keeping with the theme of Mass Effect instead of the whole synthetics vs organics thing they tried to push.

I mean, ultimately the reapers, under that assumption, were just another example of people refusing to come together even when the figurative barbarians are at the gate, and you are there to create unity, though peace or by gunpoint.

Think so. Dark energy was part of it for sure - Tali's recruitment mission in ME2 sets it up, but it goes nowhere (because Karpyshyn left and other reasons).

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I wish my javelin had its own javelin built in that it could romance other javelins with if you know what I mean

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Zakmonster posted:

I don't think anyone has ever advocated spending more money on this game. As far as I can tell, 'supporting' this game just means being nice to the developers while they put in the hard work of fixing the game.

Does a dev studio that's banning players who paid money for their lovely unfished game for using exploits that were left in the game because of their lovely QA deserve support?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
someone i know literally thought the javelins were going to have AI in them and basically gain sentience over the campaign or something and was mad as gently caress when it turns out they're just powered by psykers like some kind of ripoff of warhammer 40k orks

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
They have that in-game radio show with a javelin AI that becomes self-aware and the operator breaks up with her boyfriend to be with the AI, that definitely checks off all the boxes.

Digirat posted:

it's pretty amazing that despite being desperate to teleport you to your friend 5 meters in front of you 90% of the time, this game still manages to have points where you actually need it to teleport someone but it won't.

It's very weird, some doors open as soon as two people get there and some need the fourth to straggle in, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hey, i'll do that. "Some of the dialogue was pretty awesome".

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

BexGu posted:

So what gets abounded faster on March 15th:

SUN GOD AVATAR and this thread
Anthem Player base
EA support/money to Bioware.

Not I said the fly! I have moved on to bigger and better things. Iyanla gonna fix my life.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Hey, i'll do that. "Some of the dialogue was pretty awesome".

"This bad game has some good elements" isn't so much "defending" a game, though. For example, Anthem is very bad, but the javelin animations and sounds are legitimately excellent work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

consider this:

A Mass Effect battle royale

1 in every 500 lootboxes has a guaranteed new romance option that talks to you during the round and says "good job my love" when you get a kill and every win you get there's a randomized romance scene

the game would make so much money

Outstanding work. I hereby promote you to assistant chief vice deputy chancellor of junior executive senior games development.