Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
The sad thing is that Doyle actually had Claudia Christian appear on his show to talk about treating alcoholism with naltrexone (she wrote a memoir on the subject), but either it didn’t work for him or he never tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Naltrexone also doesn't work for a lot of people.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
Hence, “either it didn’t work for him or he never tried it.”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grand Fromage posted:

Jerry Doyle ran for Congress as a Republican at one point and had his own semi popular crazy right wing AM talk radio show for years after B5 was over.

Garibaldi's line about having electric bleachers instead of electric chairs is a direct Doyle quote from a lunchtime conversation.

That was such a trip when I was flipping through AM stations in my car and thought "wait... that voice sounds really familiar... holy poo poo!"

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Two more CGI scenes with comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHAuK_lDkk0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDl_sJ16KxE

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

That Centauri battlecruiser opening up on the docking pylons is ridiculous compared to what we're stuck with now.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Wait are those just the original masters re-rendered out to a higher resolution? Goddamn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah apparently, all the original files.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I'm still a little annoyed that the guy that is teasing that stuff is basically holding the assets hostage and e-begging for a new PC.

I don't trust a person that's kept this stuff tucked away for years on some ancient rear end desktop to actually be able to upgrade the machine in a way that doesnt end up with the files lost again.

Zip em up, put them somewhere for download, and drop some links anonymously if they're afraid of some sort of legal backlash.

The community would have access, and be able to spit the whole shebang out in a couple of days.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sedgr posted:

I'm still a little annoyed that the guy that is teasing that stuff is basically holding the assets hostage and e-begging for a new PC.

I don't trust a person that's kept this stuff tucked away for years on some ancient rear end desktop to actually be able to upgrade the machine in a way that doesnt end up with the files lost again.

Zip em up, put them somewhere for download, and drop some links anonymously if they're afraid of some sort of legal backlash.

The community would have access, and be able to spit the whole shebang out in a couple of days.

it's crowdfunding pocket change, so why not.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.
Maybe there's hope if Mojo Lebowitz gets his hands on these...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah apparently, all the original files.

I love the re-rendering, it's a perfect midpoint between the old low-res render and a complete recreation with modern-quality textures/lighting/VFX that would contrast too much with the live action presentation (hello, TOS remaster). It just needs a little punching up of the light sources which seem too dim unaltered, but otherwise it's :discourse:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

McSpanky posted:

I love the re-rendering, it's a perfect midpoint between the old low-res render and a complete recreation with modern-quality textures/lighting/VFX that would contrast too much with the live action presentation (hello, TOS remaster). It just needs a little punching up of the light sources which seem too dim unaltered, but otherwise it's :discourse:

The textures could stand to be matched up to the live action part of the show, tbh, and the explosions could stand to look more like S4 quality stuff, but, yeah, otherwise it's an impressive re-render.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

speakhard posted:

Who's he?

E: ooh yes ok

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 7, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Green.

Purple.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

speakhard posted:

From the sounds of it he already has some, and we've not seen much of those either. I assume it's so that they can be passed among the rest of the tiny number of people who hoard these files.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You know, I'm continuing to watch Season 2, just watched A Distant Star, and I just realized something more deeply than I had in previous viewings: Clark chose the absolute worst replacement for Sinclair he could possibly find. Santiago absolutely did not have Sheridan in mind, that was yet another lie. Sheridan, someone the Minbari not only did not approve of but actively hated for his actions in the war, someone who, as his former mentor Maynard notes, has nothing in his record to suggest that he would be anything other than a disaster in a desk job. They wanted B5 to collapse, it's a failure of theirs that they misjudged him so.

Edited for mixing up the Presidents.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 8, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know, I'm continuing to watch Season 2, just watched A Distant Star, and I just realized something more deeply than I had in previous viewings: Santiago chose the absolute worst replacement for Sinclair he could possibly find. Clark absolutely did not have Sheridan in mind, that was yet another lie. Sheridan, someone the Minbari not only did not approve of but actively hated for his actions in the war, someone who, as his former mentor Maynard notes, has nothing in his record to suggest that he would be anything other than a disaster in a desk job. They wanted B5 to collapse, it's a failure of theirs that they misjudged him so.

Another uncanny bit of foresight. That's just like the exact wrong person being put in charge of the EPA or FDA.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I assume you mixed up the two Presidents there?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I"m just quoting. Maybe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know, I'm continuing to watch Season 2, just watched A Distant Star, and I just realized something more deeply than I had in previous viewings: Santiago chose the absolute worst replacement for Sinclair he could possibly find. Clark absolutely did not have Sheridan in mind, that was yet another lie. Sheridan, someone the Minbari not only did not approve of but actively hated for his actions in the war, someone who, as his former mentor Maynard notes, has nothing in his record to suggest that he would be anything other than a disaster in a desk job. They wanted B5 to collapse, it's a failure of theirs that they misjudged him so.

that's a good insight, i agree

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mllaneza posted:

Another uncanny bit of foresight. That's just like the exact wrong person being put in charge of the EPA or FDA.

Except this time it's an actual misjudgement and there was an unexpected result.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Yup! :doh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You know, I'm continuing to watch Season 2, just watched A Distant Star, and I just realized something more deeply than I had in previous viewings: Clark chose the absolute worst replacement for Sinclair he could possibly find. Santiago absolutely did not have Sheridan in mind, that was yet another lie. Sheridan, someone the Minbari not only did not approve of but actively hated for his actions in the war, someone who, as his former mentor Maynard notes, has nothing in his record to suggest that he would be anything other than a disaster in a desk job. They wanted B5 to collapse, it's a failure of theirs that they misjudged him so.

Edited for mixing up the Presidents.

Not quite. It wasn't actually a simple mistake, you're forgetting the whole assignment was a setup by the faction in the Earth Alliance trying to prove Santiago was murdered by Clark. Sheridan was bumped to the top of the list because they made his resume look hard-line career military so Clark would jump on him as the ideal choice sight-unseen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite. It wasn't actually a simple mistake, you're forgetting the whole assignment was a setup by the faction in the Earth Alliance trying to prove Santiago was murdered by Clark. Sheridan was bumped to the top of the list because they made his resume look hard-line career military so Clark would jump on him as the ideal choice sight-unseen.

I'm probably not far enough into the rewatch yet. But even if his resume was altered, they still took existing elements and exacerbated them, rather than inventing them out of whole cloth, and I like how that's emphasized all the way.

Edit:

And there it is, in A Race Through Dark Places, it ends with Bester complaining to Winters that he'd been told Sheridan would be supportive of the Corps. Even before that, in Spider in the Web, Senator Malory Archer seems surprised when he pushes back against spying on civilian Mars-related negotiations. They really were sold a bill of goods.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 9, 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There is a certain irony to the fanbases' displeasure with shadowy WB execs for refusing to restart the project out of spite not wanting to give the guy who is grifting everyone for a new PC the money out of spite.
:shrug:

It looks like Independence War!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is a certain irony to the fanbases' displeasure with shadowy WB execs for refusing to restart the project out of spite not wanting to give the guy who is grifting everyone for a new PC the money out of spite.
:shrug:

It looks like Independence War!

i'm amazed he can even watch b5 with an athlon 2.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Relaying the latest post on the guy's Facebook group:

quote:

Interesting. . . There’s now 4 video clips using the original assets up on youtube, each with different “viewed” numbers. One of them is over 11,000 , and I just noticed a (manual) copyright notice has been flagged against it. . . And it’s from Warner Bros. Television . . . . . . . and . . . . . . .
They’re ALLOWING the video to remain on youtube.

They’re basically letting me know they know about it, are watching, and reserve the right to add their own advertisements to it . . . . . . Which is more than fair enough.

Just one of the things I was hoping that might come from doing this potentially risky move of publicly showing them, was to maybe push the boundaries a bit. . . . Shake the tree and see what drops . . . Assuming WB didn’t jump on my throat - and at the moment they're not - the hope was this might encourage some of the others who have the original assets to consider maybe doing something with them. . . . or start talking to each other about what might be possible, pull resources, that sort of thing. . . . WB’s initial response seems to be a pretty big - and encouraging - step in the right direction, and confirms what others have told me . . . . Namely Warner aren’t quite the big bad when it comes to B5 that many have been encouraged to believe. Then again, this might still all blow up in my face at any point/

Something else has happened (that doesn’t directly involve the studio or indeed, any producers). . . . but I agreed not to talk about that, at least not yet. :)

Anyway. I took the donate button down a couple of weeks earlier than initially intended. No one told me to do it, I just never felt comfortable with the thing, no matter how many told me it would be a great idea. . . . That, and some folks online are now suggesting I might be some sort of con man trying to bleed the B5 fan community because of it . . . . Wow! You try to do something loving nice. :) Anyway, over the next couple of months I’ll pull a basic system together – and a huge thanks to the twenty odd who helped out, you’ve ensured that can happen a lot sooner than it otherwise would have.

One of the replies says there've been some recent executive retirements/resignations at WB. Is it too early to post itshappening.gif?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

One of the replies says there've been some recent executive retirements/resignations at WB. Is it too early to post itshappening.gif?

itshappening.gif but with Kosh dancing in the foreground and one of those weird Old Race ships in the background.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Yes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sebmojo posted:

Eh, a Pentium II could handle DVD playback, any Athlon chip should be able to handle Babylon 5.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now comes All Alone in the Night, where we are told that General Hague is in on the fact that Sherdian's record was misleading, but there's nothing about it being altered in any way. Also I'm not sure about this "I've been waiting for six months" and then Hague talking about "since Santiago's assassination". Was this brewing before the assassination? If Sheridan was supposed to intentionally pose as the right kind of guy for the Clark conspiracy, why did he butt heads with them so much?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

sebmojo posted:

I mean, it's not ~that~ old, considering that Moore's Law seems to have run out. :shrug:

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Huh...JMS is on twitter about once a week telling everyone it's a no-starter because WB execs hate it and/or him, but if they've passed on to a new generation that just sees old IPs as potential goldmines...
:thunk:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now comes All Alone in the Night, where we are told that General Hague is in on the fact that Sherdian's record was misleading, but there's nothing about it being altered in any way. Also I'm not sure about this "I've been waiting for six months" and then Hague talking about "since Santiago's assassination". Was this brewing before the assassination? If Sheridan was supposed to intentionally pose as the right kind of guy for the Clark conspiracy, why did he butt heads with them so much?
Clark probably didn't have a person willing to take over B5 at the time that knew he was going to murder hundreds of people, including Santiago. So he probably thought the one and only guy who lead the only victory against Minbar was the best choice. Someone who he thought would butt heads against major alien influences and bow down to the human Earth Gov.

It didn't take Sheridan long to realize Clark was a piece of poo poo. I think the first hint was Garibaldi uncovering the conspiracy of Clark being behind the assassination of Santiago after coming out of a coma. Also quite a coincidence that all communication frequencies were jammed right as the assassination took place. Also there was the episode where Garibaldi remembered who shot in him in the back thanks to Talia. The guy who shot Garibaldi in the back was sent to the brig. Then Clark personally told the B5 to hand him and the evidence over to Earth Gov officials so they can "investigate" about this guy knowing the conspiracy of Santiago's assassination. The guy who shot Garibaldi in the back told Sheridan that he's messing with stuff far bigger than him, then did the Psi Corp salute as he was sent off. When he was sent off, he was transferred to an unregistered Earth Gov ship. So now B5 lost some evidence of the conspiracy. His good bud Hague also discussed how poo poo's going down in Earth Gov.

I know Babylon 5 drops nuggets of information here and there so it's hard to remember when and where bits of info are dropped, but I think at this point Sheridan thinks something is wrong but hasn't gone against Clark and Earth Gov. At this point he's been keeping a close eye on stuff.

ijii fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 10, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ijii posted:

Clark probably didn't have a person willing to take over B5 at the time that knew he was going to murder hundreds of people, including Santiago. So he probably thought the one and only guy who lead the only victory against Minbar was the best choice. Someone who he thought would butt heads against major alien influences and bow down to the human Earth Gov.

It didn't take Sheridan long to realize Clark was a piece of poo poo. I think the first hint was Garibaldi uncovering the conspiracy of Clark being behind the assassination of Santiago after coming out of a coma. Also quite a coincidence that all communication frequencies were jammed right as the assassination took place. Also there was the episode where Garibaldi remembered who shot in him in the back thanks to Talia. The guy who shot Garibaldi in the back was sent to the brig. Then Clark personally told the B5 to hand him and the evidence over to Earth Gov officials so they can "investigate" about this guy knowing the conspiracy of Santiago's assassination. The guy who shot Garibaldi in the back told Sheridan that he's messing with stuff far bigger than him, then did the Psi Corp salute as he was sent off. When he was sent off, he was transferred to an unregistered Earth Gov ship. So now B5 lost some evidence of the conspiracy. His good bud Hague also discussed how poo poo's going down in Earth Gov.

I know Babylon 5 drops nuggets of information here and there so it's hard to remember when and where bits of info are dropped, but I think at this point Sheridan thinks something is wrong but hasn't gone against Clark and Earth Gov. At this point he's been keeping a close eye on stuff.

You forgot a big part of the early part of season 2 then - Sheridan knew Clark was bullshit from the get-go and got himself assigned to B5 on purpose by the EA faction trying to prove the murder. The whole point of his assignment to B5 was to help them get dirt on Clark.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

sebmojo posted:

Computers were playing tv shows and movies way earlier than that.
Hell I remember watching pirated southpark in 95 and terrible double vcd movies sold commercially around the same time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

fist4jesus posted:

Computers were playing tv shows and movies way earlier than that.
Hell I remember watching pirated southpark in 95 and terrible double vcd movies sold commercially around the same time.

It’s ironic hyperbole or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

fist4jesus posted:

Hell I remember watching pirated southpark in 95

Impressive!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Impressive!

Spirit of Christmas maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Spirit of Christmas maybe.

Yup and then terrible real media/video episodes in 97?