Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Infinite Karma posted:

Is there a reason you think that's not a pork butt?

It’s smaller than all the pork butts I’ve ever seen and doesn’t have a huge fat cap. Also don’t pork butts normally weigh more than 3.5 lbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Pork butts are usually that size, and don't usually have a fat cap. Are you thinking of pork belly?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

I. M. Gei posted:

It’s smaller than all the pork butts I’ve ever seen and doesn’t have a huge fat cap. Also don’t pork butts normally weigh more than 3.5 lbs?

Pork butts are just shoulder meat, they can come in any size the butcher cuts them up to. You can get small pork butts and large ones.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Just cook it at 225-275 with a probe in it until it hits ~200. Rest, shred, eat.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

don't usually have a fat cap.

What?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

Pork butts are usually that size, and don't usually have a fat cap. Are you thinking of pork belly?

All the shoulder's I've bought are 7ish lbs and have a fat cap on the top.

edit: but it appears that there are some that are also sold trimmed.

lookin' on the interewebs there's 2 different camps equally split between trim it or keep it.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 5, 2019

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

My dad went to the store today to get a pork butt for me to smoke, but he came home with this.

So... yeah.

I’m thinking I’ll just rub it like I would a butt, but how long should I cook it for? Maybe like 3 or 4 hours at 250°?

this is for carnitas made in slow cooker. trust me

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We definitely don't have cuts like that here. Here a pork shoulder is either whole or half, but either way it comes with the skin on and the bones in, and it includes the top of the arm. On the other hand, it's also under $1/lb.

With that cut, tbh I would be tempted to do a pork pot roast, it just looks made for it. But it would also be delicious smoked or as carnitas

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

bewbies posted:

this is for carnitas made in slow cooker. trust me

Yeah pretty much, toss it in and let it rip through the day. They basically bone sawed the butt into smaller cuts. (Cripes, that came out wrong).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

tater_salad posted:

All the shoulder's I've bought are 7ish lbs and have a fat cap on the top.

edit: but it appears that there are some that are also sold trimmed.

lookin' on the interewebs there's 2 different camps equally split between trim it or keep it.

Where I live I only ever see them like this. Sometimes bone in, sometimes bone out, but never with skin on or untrimmed.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

To be fair mines usually got a bit more fat on it, they always bone in.

I just grabbed a pic from the net since I haven't photographed a naked butt.. all my pics are post smoked or at least covered in rub.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Recently I can only find them with the skin on, which is incredibly annoying to remove while raw. So I just smoke it with the skin on, and it's fine.. but it just ends up with less surface area for rub and bark on the finished product. Scoring the top usually helps a little, but I wish I could find skin off.. very annoying.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

revmoo posted:

Got a full prime packer brisket in the fridge I'm gonna throw on my Kettle tomorrow.

Any thoughts on technique? I've been just doing the point with a salt/pepper rub on top of mustard. Kinda bored with it.

I know this is last month, but i'd say give Bad Byron's Butt Rub a try.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

McSpankWich posted:

Recently I can only find them with the skin on, which is incredibly annoying to remove while raw. So I just smoke it with the skin on, and it's fine.. but it just ends up with less surface area for rub and bark on the finished product. Scoring the top usually helps a little, but I wish I could find skin off.. very annoying.

Chew it off.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Hasselblad posted:

Chew it off.

I don't know why I didn't think of this myself

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

toplitzin posted:

This and Meat Church Holy Cow are my favourite for beef.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
My smoker maze arrived today. I'm kind of excited to give it a go.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

McSpankWich posted:

Weird. Never seen a butt with skin. Now a picnic always has skin which just false off after cooking.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Fall Dog posted:

My smoker maze arrived today. I'm kind of excited to give it a go.

Make sure you have a propane torch to light it. You can get one at the hardware store for $15 or less, and a bottle of propane is only a couple of bucks

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

McSpankWich posted:

Sharpen your knives.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Whooping Crabs posted:

Make sure you have a propane torch to light it. You can get one at the hardware store for $15 or less, and a bottle of propane is only a couple of bucks

I've got one of those, so lighting it should be pretty easy.

I'm picking up an order of beef short ribs tomorrow. Any tricks or tips for cooking them? Are frog mats worth the expense?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s smoke coming out of the door on my Big Green Egg, which I think means it’s time to replace the gaskets. Whoever itt said BGE gaskets were poo poo was right.

Need recommendations for gaskets for large BGEs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sigh, I should do that too.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My pork butt is stalling like a motherfucker. It’s been between 156° and 162° for like the past 2 hours. Started it around 1:15 PM at 225°, then I set the pit to 250° about an hour and a half ago.

I wouldn’t think a 3.3 lb pork butt would take this long to cook.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
If you're on a time crunch you can always crutch it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I. M. Gei posted:

There’s smoke coming out of the door on my Big Green Egg, which I think means it’s time to replace the gaskets. Whoever itt said BGE gaskets were poo poo was right.

Need recommendations for gaskets for large BGEs.

Are you talking about the lid gasket?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

arisu posted:

If you're on a time crunch you can always crutch it.

I just did.

I’m still pissed because my cookbooks say that a 5 to 7 lb pork butt should take 4 to 6 hours to cook, and this one is smaller than that and I wasn’t expecting it to take this long, I wasn’t expecting the stall on a pork butt to be this lovely, pork butts are supposed to be easy and meanwhile my mom is hungry now and demanding to be fed and why didn’t I start the pork earlier and :bang::argh::shepicide:

Hasselblad posted:

Are you talking about the lid gasket?

Yeah that one.

Although it probably wouldn’t hurt to replace the chimney one too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Cooks Illustrated had a method where you do 350 until you are passed the stall zone (165ish?) and then drop the temp to 225 until you hit your target temp.

Looked like it works pretty well for when you don't have all day.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

I just did.

I’m still pissed because my cookbooks say that a 5 to 7 lb pork butt should take 4 to 6 hours to cook, and this one is smaller than that and I wasn’t expecting it to take this long, I wasn’t expecting the stall on a pork butt to be this lovely, pork butts are supposed to be easy and meanwhile my mom is hungry now and demanding to be fed and why didn’t I start the pork earlier and :bang::argh::shepicide:

Yeah that one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0ORS48/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I've found whenever I've smoked sausages that I don't get as big a smoke flavour as I'd like. I've picked up some chevups to see if the lack of casing gives a better result.

The butcher wasn't able to get my brisket in, so I have two packs of 3 beef ribs. I'll attempt cooking one of the packs this weekend if the weather is reasonable. I'll also trial my smoker maze with a mix of hickory pellets and mesquite sawdust to see what happens.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I just did.

Your cookbooks are overly optimistic. A 5-7 pound butt can easily take 10+ hours at 225....butts can stall an insanely long time. They can take just as long as an even bigger brisket - they are easy because they are forgiving in terms of results, not because they are quick.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 8, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ROJO posted:

Your cookbooks are overly optimistic. A 5-7 pound butt can easily take 10+ hours at 225....butts can stall an insanely long time.

In other words, Steven Raichlen lied to me.

Great.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm gonna confidently say the fault lies with your ignoring half this thread explaining why pork butts are good and not whoever that dude is.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
A good rule of thumb for you might be not to start a smoke after noon and expect to serve dinner at a reasonable time, full stop.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

In other words, Steven Raichlen lied to me.

Great.

I did an 8lb pork butt on Wednesday. Started at 7:30am and pulled it off just after 5pm. I've seen more like 75-90 minutes per pound cook time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheReverend posted:

I smoked a Chuck Roast this weekend.

I'm a smoker newbie, turned out great. I recommend to other newbies as well.

Beginner's brisket or something.

What settings, ie external temp / target internal temp, approx cooking time did you go for?

I haven't done a brisket in the new electric smoker and might give a chuck a try 1st tomorrow morning.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

toplitzin posted:

I still got the point sitting in my freezer. I'll give it a shot.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

I just did.

Yeah that one.

Cook to temp, not to time. Every butt is different (came out the wrong way), they are just guidelines. Do hot and fast. Just remember to foil around 160 or so otherwise you end up with too much bark.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

you end up with too much bark
impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

That Works posted:

What settings, ie external temp / target internal temp, approx cooking time did you go for?

I haven't done a brisket in the new electric smoker and might give a chuck a try 1st tomorrow morning.

I know this is uber late, but I used this as a guideline:

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/beef/traeger-brisket

Both of my baby briskets came out pretty decent when I used the temperature settings mentioned in the recipe. I also rubbed my briskets and wrapped them in plastic the night before I cooked them. The only thing I'd consider changing is the internal temp it suggests foiling the meat at. It says to foil when it hits 160, but both times I hit the stall at 150. I feel like if I foiled at 150, my cooking time would have been shortened by an hour or so. I'm not sure how that would affect the texture though.

I let mine rest inside a towel-stuffed cooler for at least 30 minutes. I pretty much started fixing the sides as soon as I put the meat in to rest, so once the sides were done, out came the meat.