Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm surprised that taking the bolt cutters out doesn't make it immediately shrink enough that the rings just fall off.

That's kind of the issue.

Blood goes in, but doesn't come back out. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

blindjoe posted:

A great job for the Jaws of Life!

I mean, it would be very tempting to bring them in just as a joke. Wouldn't do it, because, well, the person is in crisis and wouldn't find it funny at all.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
That's some grotty looking stainless steel... how long was he wearing it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Door Frame posted:

That's some grotty looking stainless steel... how long was he wearing it?

There's no telling. I'm not 100% sure it's stainless; I just found something on line that matches the description.

So good news: the fire department cut the patient free using a Dremel-type tool. They surrounded the area with towels, and dribbled water on it to keep temperatures down.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 8, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Use cock rings with fasteners, kiddies!

And preferably not made of hardened steel

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Why didn't they just make him pee a bunch so the balls shrank? :shrug:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Why didn't they just make him pee a bunch so the balls shrank? :shrug:

The only correct answer

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus, I was about to mention something about jaws of life, but not involving a penis. :stonkhat:

Friend of mine got in a really bad wreck and had to get cut out of the car with the jaws.

And for a change, it wasn't the BMW driver's fault! (friend was driving an E36, someone ran a red light and slammed into him doing an estimated ~50-60mph). I'm probably gonna head up to Dallas to see him; he's in the ICU for a bit, and facing at least several months of recovery.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Oh hey, having a day off when the actual business owner who lives offshore suddenly arrives at a branch, walks in, rings me up and says "Cut access. Now"

"For who?"

"Everyone. Their replacements will arrive shortly"

Goddamn. He turned up in person to fire the ENTIRE 40 staff branch and had their repalcements walk in 15 minutes later. And no, he doesnt fire people unless poo poo is serious. You have to basically steal or beat someone half to death to be frogmarched out the door so it's by no means at a whim. Something really goddamn serious happened.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

JOB INTERCEPTOR

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Windshield saga continues. The heads up display is a bit blurry and I'm getting a lot of dash reflection. I checked the lower pax corner, and while it's marked as HUD and acoustic, and by the same company and plant, it doesn't have an OEM marking. Apparently that makes a difference. Safelite is coming back on Tuesday to swap it out.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The last hour has been a wild ride in the chat thread.

My timing belt kit for the Lexus Cruiser should be delivered tomorrow. I’ll likely just take it to the dealer to perform the labor. The shop in town recommended by the LC community quoted me the same price as it would be at the dealer, but when I called the other day before ordering parts they quoted me $170 less than they did today. I don’t need the smoke of an elastic price. The dealer will get the job. I haven’t driven the truck more than 10 miles. I’m ready to drive the friggin thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

JOB INTERCEPTOR

They tried to steal the branch. Not as in what was in the branch they tried steal the actual business

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Okay, last update. My wife came home and showed me the video. They used a bigger cutoff tool (angle grinder with it's head at 90 degrees from the tool body) to cut through the ring. The firefighters had a butter knife that they wedged between the scrotum and the metal ring to protect the patient.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I can't express how much I love this forum right now.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Okay, last update. My wife came home and showed me the video. They used a bigger cutoff tool (angle grinder with it's head at 90 degrees from the tool body) to cut through the ring. The firefighters had a butter knife that they wedged between the scrotum and the metal ring to protect the patient.

Cough, delete anything that could be construed as PHI, HIPAA, cough

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Tremek posted:

qft

Highly serious poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tremek posted:

And remove it from quotes. Adiabatic?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GF is out of town for a few days. Not for the best circumstances (her mother isn't doing so well), but it's just me and 3 cats until Sunday.

12 pack of Ziegenbock? Check
Ready to cook chicken cordon bleu in the oven (fresh made, not frozen, thank you H-E-B)? Check
Potato in the oven? Check
Bag of spinach ready to saute? Check
Enough :420: to get a herd of elephants stoned, courtesy of my downstairs neighbor? :2bong: CHECK
Friends coming over after they get off work to help me with the beer and :420:? loving CHECK CHECK. About time I get to see some friends.

My upstairs neighbor (hell, half the loving building, probably more than half of the apartment complex since this is Austin) also partakes in :420:, so I don't have to worry about the smell making its way upstairs.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Current Status: shitposting from 30000 feet. Free in flight wifi is pretty great, especially on an international flight

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Tremek posted:

There's nothing there to Id the patient, no locations, names, or highly specific information leading someone to be able to id them. It's a grey area, yeah, but it's not specifically a violation of anything I know of, and no one would even attempt to argue that case from a legal perspective. Figure1 is way more sketchy about that poo poo at times.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 8, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tremek posted:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yeah, where's the PHI?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
There isn't. The only people to know enough of the case to point out the pt were the medical staff physically present.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

There isn't. The only people to know enough of the case to point out the pt were the medical staff physically present.

The unique nature of the removed object is sufficient for a violation. The odds of the patient (or someone familiar enough with the case) coming across the post and pic are low, but in the event that DID happen, it 100% would be considered a HIPAA violation.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
HIPAA is a bitch to deal with when you're just trying to let off steam or tell good work stories because it's a gag order on anything that could tenuously connect any details of a case to any individual, but it's really good that it's there

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They tried to steal the branch. Not as in what was in the branch they tried steal the actual business

Can you elaborate on this?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

It’s Western Sydney mate. If it isn’t bolted down, steal it! Is a bolt bolted down? If in doubt, steal it!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Today the local parking enforcement jackasses stole my '92 Miata, by accident, because they couldn't figure out that the '2019' sticker on my license plate meant that the previous owner's last registration in 2010 (I bought and registered it in 2018, ffs, this is the second year I've paid registration on it) really shouldn't have a lot of bearing on whether stealing my car was cool or not, but hey, ACAB.

I mean, on the plus side, at least the thieves owned up to it quickly when I called the auto theft detectives at the local precinct, and then they DID gave me my car back with it only costing me 5 hours of my not invaluable time hanging around in police departments and tow yards + a $16 uber ride, so as a citizen of the USA I feel generally lucky I survived the encounter. Curious how they got the car out of gear/took the parking brake off/dragged it away since it wasn't in gear/brake on when I got it back. I'm sure they did everything very kindly as they stole my car, because, protect AND serve.

As I thanked the detective for giving me my extremely legal and unticketed car back and not charging/booking me for their error, I asked him if I should call the FBI the next time the local keystone kops steal my car and press charges against them, or what's the next move.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slothrop posted:

It’s Western Sydney mate. If it isn’t bolted down, steal it! Is a bolt bolted down? If in doubt, steal it!

Somewhere to the north of Australia actually.

Where what you said is in fact real. If it aint locked behind bars its gone

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
New job, almost the same crew, and I still find myself sitting in a presentation with a dozen persons where I am literally the only guy without a PhD. :stare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Ether Frenzy posted:

Today the local parking enforcement jackasses stole my '92 Miata, by accident, because they couldn't figure out that the '2019' sticker on my license plate meant that the previous owner's last registration in 2010 (I bought and registered it in 2018, ffs, this is the second year I've paid registration on it) really shouldn't have a lot of bearing on whether stealing my car was cool or not, but hey, ACAB.

I mean, on the plus side, at least the thieves owned up to it quickly when I called the auto theft detectives at the local precinct, and then they DID gave me my car back with it only costing me 5 hours of my not invaluable time hanging around in police departments and tow yards + a $16 uber ride, so as a citizen of the USA I feel generally lucky I survived the encounter. Curious how they got the car out of gear/took the parking brake off/dragged it away since it wasn't in gear/brake on when I got it back. I'm sure they did everything very kindly as they stole my car, because, protect AND serve.

As I thanked the detective for giving me my extremely legal and unticketed car back and not charging/booking me for their error, I asked him if I should call the FBI the next time the local keystone kops steal my car and press charges against them, or what's the next move.

Glad you got it back mostly in one piece. Last time the fuckers did that to me (from in front of my house no less), they flattened two of my tires and still made me pay for the impound.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The unique nature of the removed object is sufficient for a violation. The odds of the patient (or someone familiar enough with the case) coming across the post and pic are low, but in the event that DID happen, it 100% would be considered a HIPAA violation.

I didn't think about the fact that pretty much the exact object was identified. Saying "steel cock ring on the balls" wouldn't be enough, but "this exact set, this one and that one" would do it.

Similarly, I know of a case where a pear had to be removed from an rear end. That's fine. People shove stuff up there all the time. If I said it was a royal riviera pear in fall 2016 still in the foil though*, that seems like it would be problematic.

*kind of pear, time, and packaging changed to protect the innocent deviant. Godspeed.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I didn't think about the fact that pretty much the exact object was identified. Saying "steel cock ring on the balls" wouldn't be enough, but "this exact set, this one and that one" would do it.

Similarly, I know of a case where a pear had to be removed from an rear end. That's fine. People shove stuff up there all the time. If I said it was a royal riviera pear in fall 2016 still in the foil though*, that seems like it would be problematic.

*kind of pear, time, and packaging changed to protect the innocent deviant. Godspeed.

I was going to go back and change all instances of "balls" to "brother" and "cock ring" to "crazy ex girlfriend", but here you go ruining my fun with your post.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The precision on the jaws is actually pretty impressive- its got mm levels of movement control.

Very good mate of mine is a townie fire fighter and they get called to the hospital All. The. Time. to cut poo poo off of people. They had one where someone put their dick through a the inner race of a bearing and it wouldnt go back down. It was too thick to be able to cut with the dremel without heat issues being a problem, so they scored it with the dremel and then used the jaws to crack the race and get it off.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Not the last time he'll be in the shop with a hosed bearing I'll wager.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bolind posted:

New job, almost the same crew, and I still find myself sitting in a presentation with a dozen persons where I am literally the only guy without a PhD. :stare:

Working at a college, I’ve grown to realize people with PhD’s are mostly worthless. If said PhD is in Education, they’re double worthless. Don’t let the PhD boogie man scare you, most PhD’s are for show and just mean people threw money at a school to research something 99.9% of the world will never see or more importantly, use.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

tetrapyloctomy posted:

So, using that basis for a standard, wouldn't any of those "What's the weirdest thing..." threads on reddit be a large HIPAA violation? I work in the field, but mostly working the data specifically (hooray for EMRs), so looking at it from this angle is a bit weird for me.

I understand and applaud the concerns raised - just seemed a bit too stringent from my perspective (since I'm used to very specific data elements).

In any case, better safe than sorry.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

keykey posted:

Working at a college, I’ve grown to realize people with PhD’s are mostly worthless. If said PhD is in Education, they’re double worthless. Don’t let the PhD boogie man scare you, most PhD’s are for show and just mean people threw money at a school to research something 99.9% of the world will never see or more importantly, use.

PhDs in academia are completely different from PhDs in the workforce, in my experience. Every PhD I've met at work has been genius and hardworking to a fault, where all the PhDs I come across in academia (with a few very notable exceptions) range from completely useless to mostly useless.

e: This is engineering however, where as I understand it you can't go into a PhD program unless you're funded by research grants or the school itself.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can't express how much I love this forum right now.

Seriously.

It's just about daily that I'm reminded that the :10bux: I gave to Lowtax way back when has the single highest ROI of anything I'll ever pay for.

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 8, 2019