Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Reading this: http://www.18xx.net/1830/1830f.htm is restrictive/permissive the common language now or is it closed/open? (Tile replacement 1)

It's restrictive/permissive. There are probably some non-Internet using groups that still say closed/open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Jedit posted:

Just got the email from Giochi, Age of Steam Deluxe is live. $64 plus shipping, add $14 if you want miniature wooden trains.

You don't want the wooden trains. There's a reason so many people were disappointed that the last EGG edition had plastic trains instead of discs, and it's not that they were plastic.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I was playing Cuba Libre solo recently as M26 and I'm still pretty bad at insurgents. I feel like they're split between wanting to spread out everywhere and wanting to protect bases, plus they're the only one that can beat back the DR. Any advice on how to disperse your troops?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I was playing Cuba Libre solo recently as M26 and I'm still pretty bad at insurgents. I feel like they're split between wanting to spread out everywhere and wanting to protect bases, plus they're the only one that can beat back the DR. Any advice on how to disperse your troops?

In my experience solo Govt is usually winnable but solo M26 is a crapshoot. It's really easy to get shut out of the western provinces and then you can't really hit the main Syndicate targets or Havana. For using your guerrillas, I think it's fine to leave only 1 guerrilla/base in most cases, and do your best to spread out, because Govt-bot really can't operate in lots of areas at once. The main way to hurt DR is through ambushing their bases when possible, so I would make sure to have underground guerrillas in the area DR usually tries to control -- Camaguey and the surrounding spaces.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
My group, usually 3 or 4 people, loves Kemet but I feel like it's getting a little stale. Is it worth getting Ta-Seti or should we jump into trying Inis? Normally I would just grab the expansion but it's pretty expensive.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I haven't played Kemet, but from what I know of it they're not super comparable besides ancient theming DOAM. Fighting is less of a given in Inis and is mutually super costly, so if the main thing you like about Kemet is smashing dudes into dudes it'll be a bit of an awkward adjustment. That said, I mostly like Inis. If you like card drafting and politics, it's a good fit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

werdnam posted:

You don't want the wooden trains. There's a reason so many people were disappointed that the last EGG edition had plastic trains instead of discs, and it's not that they were plastic.

What was the reason, then?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like the train designs for Empyreal Spells & Steam

They are good a neat and cool train designs

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jedit posted:

What was the reason, then?

My understanding of rhetoric would lead me to conclude it's because they're trains. I guess because they're harder to manipulate than discs. Or because they've always been discs before, who can say.

FirstAidKite posted:

I like the train designs for Empyreal Spells & Steam

They are good a neat and cool train designs

The Caterpiller Conveyence Consortium's rolling stock appears to be of a much narrower guage than the other companies. That's gonna cause some problems further down the line.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Mr. Squishy posted:

My understanding of rhetoric would lead me to conclude it's because they're trains. I guess because they're harder to manipulate than discs. Or because they've always been discs before, who can say.

Sorry if I was being obtuse. This is why, not more importantly, there are expansion maps that are designed under the assumption you have disks and don't work with plastic trains.

I guess those maps could work with these little wooden trains if they're small enough because they are stackable, but I still think disks are better.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Oh yes, nobody's going to be stacking this little fellow. I was thinking of a plastic version of the tokens from Queen Game's edition of Chicago Express trains, which are 2D.

Speaking of fancy models in train games, has everyone seen Ticket to Ride: Anniversary Edition's figs. One of them is a circus truck like from the beginning of Indianna Jones and the Last Crusade.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

tofes posted:

My group, usually 3 or 4 people, loves Kemet but I feel like it's getting a little stale. Is it worth getting Ta-Seti or should we jump into trying Inis? Normally I would just grab the expansion but it's pretty expensive.

there's the Seth expansion that turns it into a 1vAll experience but I confess I haven't given it a try yet

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
So is it release day for Wingspan? Have we had anyone else play it recently and can weigh in?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

tofes posted:

Yeah, if you like Kemet, Ta-Seti is GREAT. It's more of the same, plus some more other stuff, and while you could say a bunch of the 'other stuff' is superfluous, none of it breaks the tight balance and gives you more stuff to do. The 'more of the same' stuff adds new strategies (again, still feels super balanced) that you need to counter in slightly different ways. It fixes the one issue that I had with base game (namely the endgame) and is just generally all around awesome. I very much enjoy it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

So is it release day for Wingspan? Have we had anyone else play it recently and can weigh in?

I don't think it's changed since the last time I played it. It's very pretty and a good way to trick family members and other rubes into playing a Euro without noticing, but it's not what you'd call meaty.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

FulsomFrank posted:

Getting a copy looks pretty tricky right now and some retailers have mentioned needing to wait for an April reprint before they can deal with the original preorders. That might be different depending on the region though?

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

I’m an unabashed Stonemaier stan so I preordered it and we enjoy it. Only played a dozen or so 2p games. Definitely not super meaty or interactive (between other players) but still an enjoyable relaxing euro. You have a very limited number of total actions in the game (21 I think) so it becomes an efficiency puzzle, pretty rewarding when you can line up a round’s worth of turns perfectly.

No reason to pay extra for it while it’s hyped up, but with the art and production quality, it’s definitely worth the MSRP.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Thanks guys.

I'll try and find a copy but if not I can wait until they're around. I was just worried that people would be already posting about it being solved or broken or without enough variety.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's definitely on the lighter side, but I don't think it's really "solvable" because of how random the birds available are. Also balance seems good overall. There are definitely dominant strategies (egg spam), but they don't seem tremendously far ahead of the baseline and again, they're dependent on getting the right birds.

I'll echo Jedit's comments: the game is extremely pretty and the theme is really good and appealing to pretty much everyone. The low complexity is also really good because you can teach the game in under 10 minutes. It's really the perfect way to backdoor a straight euro engine builder into a group of people who are otherwise intimidated by brown boxes with stern 15th century European noblemen on them.

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable expansion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ojetor posted:

It's definitely on the lighter side, but I don't think it's really "solvable" because of how random the birds available are. Also balance seems good overall. There are definitely dominant strategies (egg spam), but they don't seem tremendously far ahead of the baseline and again, they're dependent on getting the right birds.

I'll echo Jedit's comments: the game is extremely pretty and the theme is really good and appealing to pretty much everyone. The low complexity is also really good because you can teach the game in under 10 minutes. It's really the perfect way to backdoor a straight euro engine builder into a group of people who are otherwise intimidated by brown boxes with stern 15th century European noblemen on them.

I'm really looking forward to the inevitable expansion.

More than inevitable: announced. The base game includes only North American birds. The expansion plan is to add full sets of birds from other continents, in the process changing up how the game works.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What I didn't like about Wingspan is that it pretended to have interaction but in reality you'd need to go around the table to see what people had, since the print on the cards is so small. So since no one wanted to do that, it was basically multi-player solitaire.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sounds like the Innovation problem. :(

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's the problem with a lot of games, if the deck is big enough and you get enough cards in play. "Oh, you do what now? And then what? Well alright then."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's not a problem when cards are designed to have as little text on them as possible.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Or when you can ignore parts of each card. I admit that I only keep track of offense, defense, and endgame VP abilities when I play Flow of History. In Castles of Mad King Ludwig, you can usually ignore all the completed rooms upstairs. For most role selection games, you only need to know what phase each card gives it's benefit on.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

tofes posted:

Get Ta-Seti. Throw the actual Ta-Seti sideboard in the garbage and use everything else. The black pyramid is fun.

You didn't mention owning Cyclades, but I feel like the crossover monster mini-expansion isn't that great.

The Seth expansion has been out for months and I still haven't seen any review ITT or from anyone else who's played it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

What I didn't like about Wingspan is that it pretended to have interaction but in reality you'd need to go around the table to see what people had, since the print on the cards is so small. So since no one wanted to do that, it was basically multi-player solitaire.

That’s a peeve of mine as well. Compounding that is when cards tend to have rule-bending effects that are impractical to keep track of even if they weren’t spread around on small cards across the table.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Get Ta-Seti. Throw the actual Ta-Seti sideboard in the garbage and use everything else. The black pyramid is fun.

You didn't mention owning Cyclades, but I feel like the crossover monster mini-expansion isn't that great.

The Seth expansion has been out for months and I still haven't seen any review ITT or from anyone else who's played it.

It sold out very quickly at Spiel. I suspect they didn't make enough of it.

Also I get the impression that one versus many is a gimmick that people will be happy to try once when the game gets a bit stale, but it isn't really why they play Kemet.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mayveena posted:

This bothered me less than it does in Terraforming Mars or 4p+ Race/Roll, because I felt like I didn't really care about their tableaux unless they were using an ability that was more directly interactive or reactive, which would be announced. So I didn't feel the need to pore over their stuff. Possibly when playing more this would change, just like beginners don't see interaction in Race or Dominion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The drama surrounding this Age of Steam KS is loving amazing. Here is the letter I got from Winsome Games this morning.

quote:

I suppose with all the hub-bub going on at BGG about Age of Steam that I should say a few words. I don't enjoy this, but it is time, I expect. People have been lied to for far too long.

My father, whom I always thank in every one of my game rules, a Patent Attorney, died in 1999. Martin Wallace knows this, do you? I do all my own legal work. I loved my father and will continue to mention the man in all my game rules, but that is not important here.

People have been led to think that my father and some powerful law firm pummeled poor MW in court. Actually, it was quite the reverse. Mayfair Games hired an excellent Patent & Trademark attorney to fight for MW. Larry Roznai told me they spent over $35,000 in legal fees. I spent nothing and won. How could this be?

Well, all MW had was his execrable Brummie Rails game. I had two years of heavy design work records outlining my creation of Age of Steam. Mayfair did not know this when they paid MW big money but they sure found out later. MW's contribution to Age of Steam was changing all the red cities to blue and the blue cities to red, with the result that the rules examples made no sense in the first Warfrog printing. I simply could not lose this case in Federal Court; facts are paramount there, proof is everything. It came as no surprise to me when Mayfair later posted that they would never produce another MW game. Larry was not happy with MW.

One night, in a rambling drunken BGG post, MW revealed that I had created Pampas Railroads and put his name on it. It is true. MW wanted to be a famous game designer back in the 90s and I did not. He was thrilled that Pampas Railroads was lauded as a great game and everyone thought him a game designing genius in SUMO. He was getting the limelight he craved so much. I just enjoyed that so many people liked the game and more people were getting into train games.

So, yes, I use pseudonyms. I don't want any limelight and pseudonyms are great. I am Harry Wu, David V. H. Peters, Eddie Robbins and others. Game designing is easy for me and I can do it in different styles. I also use pseudonyms in magazine articles and other creative endeavors. I used the Martin Wallace pseudonym for his early train games up through Age of Steam. I made sure, though, that every copy of Age of Steam had my copyright. I may eschew the limelight, but I protect my intellectual property.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but it is enough for now. I am sorry if I have made anyone unhappy with the realization that they were played for a fool by MW, but I really have no choice. It is unfair to Rick Soued to let this charade go further. He is a fine gentleman and an honest, ethical person.

Martin is a ding dong and John is an rear end in a top hat but I have had long discussions with Rick and he is indeed a great guy.

__,_._,___

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People online the KS comments are wanting the discussion to go away and just take it to BGG quietly. :smoobles:

I do think Bohrer’s an rear end in a top hat and Rick gets the benefit of being technically correct here. Wallace seems like he should be considered a child wrt contracts. There’s this old thread on BGG too: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/587963/john-bohrers-account-permanently-suspended

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

I demoed it at GenCon last year. It seemed.. fine. For what it was. I didn’t play a whole game of it, just enough to get a basic feel. It’s just not at all what I want when I want to play Kemet, so it was a hard pass for me.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

The drama surrounding this Age of Steam KS is loving amazing. Here is the letter I got from Winsome Games this morning.
__,_._,___

Also fits with Peterson's story about paying for Mediation to settle AoS dispute and Wallace getting ruled against as well.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
We've occasionally talked about board games and litigation before (my previous post about copyright and patent, around the time of Oink and Bezier's dustup). We know Khet successfully won a patent suit. My guess in that case is that he patented the laser device itself, though I could not find anything online that would let me look at the actual patent. Can any patent savvy goons out there tell me if you can actually patent a game itself? If it had to be a device, I can't imagine what exactly about Age of Steam could be patented. I've never played it, but is just a normal board game, right? I can't imagine it has a Pop-o-matic bubble or anything (Though that would apparently be more of a trademark thing? poo poo's complicated, yo.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Magnetic North posted:

We've occasionally talked about board games and litigation before (my previous post about copyright and patent, around the time of Oink and Bezier's dustup). We know Khet successfully won a patent suit. My guess in that case is that he patented the laser device itself, though I could not find anything online that would let me look at the actual patent. Can any patent savvy goons out there tell me if you can actually patent a game itself? If it had to be a device, I can't imagine what exactly about Age of Steam could be patented. I've never played it, but is just a normal board game, right? I can't imagine it has a Pop-o-matic bubble or anything (Though that would apparently be more of a trademark thing? poo poo's complicated, yo.)

I did a little digging in the past and you can definitely patent a novel component, and arguably you could patent a provably novel mechanic (see Wizards of the Coast and their patent on tapping cards) it’s not possible to patent the game and its rules. So I could make a version of Monopoly with a new board, new art, rewrite the rules like I wrote my high school essays and call it “rear end in a top hat Realtors”, and there’s not much Hasbro can do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

Martin is a ding dong and John is an rear end in a top hat but I have had long discussions with Rick and he is indeed a great guy.

I don't believe a single word of this. If Bohrer had proof that he was the real designer of AoS then EGG wouldn't have offered Wallace credit and royalty on the 2009 edition; they wouldn't have had to.

E: the letter, that is, not Mayveena's post.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mayveena posted:

__,_._,___

With how Winsome works I’m imagining this was an actual paper letter.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

admanb posted:

With how Winsome works I’m imagining this was an actual paper letter.

He sent it to everyone on the Winsome newsletter lol

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Triskelli posted:

I did a little digging in the past and you can definitely patent a novel component, and arguably you could patent a provably novel mechanic (see Wizards of the Coast and their patent on tapping cards) it’s not possible to patent the game and its rules. So I could make a version of Monopoly with a new board, new art, rewrite the rules like I wrote my high school essays and call it “rear end in a top hat Realtors”, and there’s not much Hasbro can do.

Hasbro can sue you for any number of things in that case. Even if you're right, there's a good chance you can't afford to defend yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

EGG has made an update concerning this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/age-of-steam-deluxe-edition/posts/2441217

I'm glad they are responding, even if it's to reiterate their same position years ago. They seemed to try to ignore attempts to raise the issue in their comments.