Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

maltesh posted:

Oh, that ship has long since sailed.

Amazing Spider-Man #4.

Yeah but early Peter was a prick. NSM is a pure boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Lobok posted:

I was talking about an earlier story actually. From the 80s I want to say.
I think I remember that one? A creepy photographer guy named Nick Katzenberg took a picture through the skylight of MJ taking shots of Peter in costume and jumped to the entirely rational conclusion of 'hey, Parker's not actually taking pictures of Spider-man, just faking them! Bet I can do some sweet blackmail!'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rip spidersman

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did Spider-man just kick him in the face?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Zerilan posted:

I forgot about the webwings so looked up some early Spidey stuff and found the first comic he was on the cover of.

Really fitting that in his literal first appearance he is thinking out-loud and being bad at secret identities.

I must have seen this image dozens of times, and I've never noticed the people on the building in the background before.

Either that guy in the dark green shirt has Spider-powers of his own, or he's about to take a pretty bad tumble. Maybe Reed Richards will save him?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

rip spidersman

sleazily, at the bar]: hey baby, let's just mix it up and... see what develops

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

rip spidersman

this arc is a loving treasure

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drakyn posted:

I think I remember that one? A creepy photographer guy named Nick Katzenberg took a picture through the skylight of MJ taking shots of Peter in costume and jumped to the entirely rational conclusion of 'hey, Parker's not actually taking pictures of Spider-man, just faking them! Bet I can do some sweet blackmail!'

Yeah and it was interesting because it was kind of like he was getting in trouble for what he does all the time but in a weirder, roundabout way.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

This is actually Spider-man's cunning plan to trick MJ into letting them fight.

It'll be the best idea he ever had, until he trips over Killgrave and rips open the hibernation blanket.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Uh, does this mean they've come to the end of the line?

http://bbs.rbma.com/

Attention Spider-Man clients:

You’ll be seeing some changes in your friendly neighborhood AMAZING SPIDER-MAN comic strip over the coming months. Starting on March 25, King Features and Marvel will be re-running some of Spider-Man’s greatest hits. We’ll be back soon with great new stories and art to explore even more corners of the Marvel Universe for you and your readers to enjoy. We’ll be announcing more about these new adventures in the very near future, so keep your Spidey senses tuned in!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no. :(

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sounds like they have ran out of Stan Lee's backlog of incredible stories.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

They're probably trying to find new writers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Roy Thomas said he was writing it, in his statement on Lee’s death.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Kilgrave story arc has been a testing ground for open-sourced NSM. Congratulations, everyone: we made it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

gleebster posted:

You’ll be seeing some changes in your friendly neighborhood AMAZING SPIDER-MAN comic strip over the coming months. Starting on March 25, King Features and Marvel will be re-running some of Spider-Man’s greatest hits. We’ll be back soon with great new stories and art to explore even more corners of the Marvel Universe for you and your readers to enjoy.
It might just be phrased oddly, but it kind of sounds like they're planning on replacing Spider-Man with some kind of anthology type thing where each story will have a different protagonist?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I wonder if we could train a neural network to write NSM...

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I am............ cautiously open to the idea of Newspaper Expanded Universe

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Apparently, there was the following comment from Roy Thomas:

quote:

“I know nothing of any Spidey strip to come, only that the one Alex Saviuk and I (and until recently Larry Lieber) had been doing is kaput.”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crap :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I guess it's only fitting that Newspaper Spider-man is finished and and it took us months to realize that. :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Elfface posted:

I wonder if we could train a neural network to write NSM...

Well if they could, I'm sure we can.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, so a conventional comic strip about spiderman. yawn.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

gleebster posted:

Uh, does this mean they've come to the end of the line?

http://bbs.rbma.com/

Attention Spider-Man clients:

You’ll be seeing some changes in your friendly neighborhood AMAZING SPIDER-MAN comic strip over the coming months. Starting on March 25, King Features and Marvel will be re-running some of Spider-Man’s greatest hits. We’ll be back soon with great new stories and art to explore even more corners of the Marvel Universe for you and your readers to enjoy. We’ll be announcing more about these new adventures in the very near future, so keep your Spidey senses tuned in!

Something tells me the stories they think are Spider-man's greatest hits are not the same ones we do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Too good for this world.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I have a sneaking suspicion this is JQ waiting til Lee was dead and Leiber was off the strip to finally get his way and eliminate the last stronghold for the Parker Marriage. :sigh:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tiggum posted:

It might just be phrased oddly, but it kind of sounds like they're planning on replacing Spider-Man with some kind of anthology type thing where each story will have a different protagonist?

Spidey's history both in this strip and in comic series like Marvel Team-up have had him meeting basically every character ever so maybe not.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I guess I'm just glad I found this thread while the magic was still happening :unsmith:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Does anyone know any classic strip, Clown 9, giant spider, trash son, tripping over cliff, etc. that Roy Thomas was for sure involved in creating? I have a plan.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is the worst news.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

This is the worst news.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thus the last good Spider-man comic died.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Thus the last good Spider-man comic died.

FN Spider-Man has been good so far, so it'll probably get rolled into a lovely crossover then canceled.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Does anyone know any classic strip, Clown 9, giant spider, trash son, tripping over cliff, etc. that Roy Thomas was for sure involved in creating? I have a plan.

According to this interview, Roy Thomas started doing a ghostwriting collab with Stan Lee 19 years ago, and Lee stopped working on it entirely a couple years ago (though he retained his interest in the strip until the end).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
A dark day. Can someone make a deal with Mephisto and sacrifice their marriage or something so the strip might live?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

How far through 2019 would it take us if they just reran the Clown 9 arc in its entirety?

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Ugh! Everything that Iron Fist and Luke Cage appear in are getting canceled.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It would suck if that actually ended the comic, but having Luke Cage show up, break some doors, call the plot idiotic and then leave is really the perfect note to go out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.