Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

they can take the Fellowship, they can take the Hobbit, they can take the Akallabêth, but they will never take The Cottage of Lost Play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Feels good to be an Eddison fan

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't worry book readers always get to lord it over show/movie watchers no matter the work

It's not the same. They think they know.

At least they don't seem to be touching Beren and Luthien.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not the same. They think they know.

At least they don't seem to be touching Beren and Luthien.

There's no loving way the (multiple!) magic talking dogs/wolves could be done properly on a TV show's budget. A movie could probably pull it off though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheetah7071 posted:

There's no loving way the (multiple!) magic talking dogs/wolves could be done properly on a TV show's budget. A movie could probably pull it off though

Oh, CGI is a lot better and cheaper these days than it was even a year or two ago. And this has Amazon backing it, they have infinite money and infinite computer power.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Cheer up guys, a month ago we were getting a Young Aragorn series. Imagine how bad THAT would have been.

Frankly, the fact that we're getting almost zero overlap between this series and the Peter Jackson movies is amazing. (And this is coming from a big fan of the LOTR movies and a big hater of the Hobbit movies) Outside of Sauron, Galadriel, and Elrond....there isn't really any opportunity for "tie-ins" to the Jackson movies and that's pretty refreshing. If they're gonna fail, they're gonna fail on their own merit and not because they're trying to recapture the magic of a super successful film series.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I saw that god-awful Jungle Book movie on Netflix and nope, talking CGI animals are still loving bullshit garbage.

Give me cartoon Smaug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or8G_jDcLNo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s too soon to call the lack of overlap. The fact that they are (obviously obliged to be) marketing to fans of the Jackson movies could dictate a lot. I fear we are going to get more Alan Lee/John Howe artstyle at best. At worst, instead of trying to grab for the Jackson audience, they will grab for the Game of Thrones audience instead like everyone is joking about.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

skasion posted:

It’s too soon to call the lack of overlap. The fact that they are (obviously obliged to be) marketing to fans of the Jackson movies could dictate a lot. I fear we are going to get more Alan Lee/John Howe artstyle at best. At worst, instead of trying to grab for the Jackson audience, they will grab for the Game of Thrones audience instead like everyone is joking about.

I think I just mean, we're not gonna get like Aragorn shoehorned in to some larger story the way that Legolas was shoehorned into the Hobbit. The two maps correspond to the beginning and end of the Second Age, long before 95% of the characters from the 6 movies were even born.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mahoning posted:

I think I just mean, we're not gonna get like Aragorn shoehorned in to some larger story the way that Legolas was shoehorned into the Hobbit. The two maps correspond to the beginning and end of the Second Age, long before 95% of the characters from the 6 movies were even born.

It's Elrond, Galadriel, Sauron, Thrandruil, and thats about it. Even Legolas should not be born yet as while his birth is never directly stated, the implication is he is a younger elf, compared to Thranduil or Galadriel. What is there to fear about them sharing some visual similarity with the movies? Most of the places will be entirely new, the only ones the audience will recognize are Rivendell, Lothlorien, and Minas Tirith later on, yet Osgiliath will be the main city for this period.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 7, 2019

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Opening narration:

"It all began with the forging of the great arses..."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Movie Legolas sucked and I really don't want to see him again.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's Elrond, Galadriel, Sauron, Thrandruil, and thats about it. Even Legolas should not be born yet as while his birth is never directly stated, the implication is he is a younger elf, compared to Thranduil or Galadriel.

There was a Legolas at Gondolin in the early versions of the text. I know it is not the same Legolas

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If the adaptation is bad, things will still be okay.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I'm fine with it being bad, the books will always be here. I'm glad someone cares enough to give it a shot, and did not do the "safest" option of Young Indiana Aragorn. I hope it does well enough that someday we get a cool adaptation of other stories, or new ones set in the less defined eras.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm fine with it being bad, the books will always be here. I'm glad someone cares enough to give it a shot, and did not do the "safest" option of Young Indiana Aragorn. I hope it does well enough that someday we get a cool adaptation of other stories, or new ones set in the less defined eras.

"All Creatures Great and Small" but it's about a Hobbiton vet who goes to work in Buckland.

"All Creatures Great and Smial"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pham Nuwen posted:

"All Creatures Great and Small" but it's about a Hobbiton vet who goes to work in Buckland.

"All Creatures Great and Smial"

I'd watch it

There is an interesting question though regarding rights: how much overlap does the Amazon production have with the movies? If they want to depict Elrond, *can* they hire Hugo Weaving to do it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Turns out this map is just something young Aragorn looks at during the intro to the first episode.

Then they burn it in the finale as a metaphor for how everything's going to poo poo (the flames turn into Sauron's literal firey eye).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Three were given to the elves, the fairest-bottomed of all beings

Seven were given to the dwarf lords, great squatters and thigh trainers

And nine, nine were gifted to the race of men, who above all desire that rear end

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I'd watch it

There is an interesting question though regarding rights: how much overlap does the Amazon production have with the movies? If they want to depict Elrond, *can* they hire Hugo Weaving to do it?

Amazon is in bed with New Line and Harper Collins in addition to the Estate on this, so they can basically use whatever they want. I haven’t heard where Middle-earth Enterprises (the guys who had the license under which the Jackson movies were made) fit into it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If we see an on-screen Elf boner does that alter that theory?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

skasion posted:

Joking?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd watch it

Some kind of Bond / Connery situation here

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Which Bond should play Elrond

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Game of Thrones will be done in a few months so it is a given that Amazon is staking a lot on this filling the "epic TV fantasy" void and associated (large) fan base. Up in the air if that will directly work, but between LOTR book fans and LOTR movie fans (I absolutely believe there are many who have never read a word Tolkien wrote) and general TV fans it's hard to see how this doesn't get a huge audience.

The Monolith LOTR games were pretty commercially successful too I think. It's a good IP for business execs to bet on.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There is no way they pass up the chance to film an island being drowned by an act of god. We will see the akallabeth and then the forming of the kindoms in exile

Let's have some climate change disaster stuff with drowning cities and Too Much Industry. Topical!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually a little surprised they didn't go straight to the Silmarillion if the goal is to capture the GoT audience. Maybe its (deserved) reputation as a difficult book would have translated into audiences expecting it to be a difficult show (which it wouldn't be if done right)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I think they made the right move though. Because while that’s one way of looking at it, the other way is that the Second Age stories share some of the basic aspects of the generally known LOTR and Hobbit stories. General locations, the rings of power, the struggle against Sauron, etc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Quenta Silmarillion is a really sprawling cycle of stories, with major characters dropping in and out of it all the time, and the events leading up to its climax are among its least-developed parts. Although the Akallabeth is pretty sparse itself, it's at least a single and fairly complete story, and the most dramatic events all involve the same core cast. It's an easier story to adapt.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Also the Second Age is less fleshed out than any other period and perfect to insert your own dumb bullshit into without it conflicting too badly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

skasion posted:

Which Bond should play Elrond

"Rond. Elrond."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Man I just thought of another thing that could be really cool to see, and that’s the Nazgûl as men. Several of them were Numenorean lords. That might be a fun thing to watch Sauron slowly suck the souls from them until ultimately taking the rings and enslaving them. Especially if we watch them turn from likeable characters to pure evil.

And I know he’s been kind of overdone in the villain department, but I think I’d pay to see Jason Isaacs play Sauron.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jeff Bezos as Ar Pharazon. It's basically the same dude.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So, question for the thread. I want to get a nice copy of the lord of the rings and the hobbit that are hard bound. I don’t want the lord of the rings in one addition though, but three. Recommend’s?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In Return of the King it says that Sauron strengthened the Lord of the Nazgul's flying mount by feeding it "fell meats". What do you all think those are, exactly? Some sort of evil liverwurst? Roadkill that's gone bad? Alligator steaks? Is Sauron doing his own meat shopping??

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 8, 2019

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Orc.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In Return of the King it says that Sauron strengthened the Lord of the Nazgul's flying mount by feeding it "fell meats". What do you all think those are, exactly? Some sort of evil liverwurst? Roadkill that's gone bad? Alligator steaks? Is Sauron doing his own meat shopping??

I think the line is "nursed it with fell meats" which has always stuck in my head for some reason. I guess orc makes the most sense, but other options include really horrid stuff like the Watcher in the Water, or stuff you really really really aren't meant to eat, like elf.
Cool question.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Human/orc/elf flesh, yeah, absolutely. Probably still alive.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
English Breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

With the akallabeth I don't think they'll actually show them setting foot in Valinor, Valinor seems like it's just really hard to represent visually without making it seem disneylike or underwhelming. I guess they'll probably just have Ar Pharazon sail towards the west followed by a giant tsunami.