Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The only solace I take in this is that eventually it will get to a point where money doesn't matter anymore and the people billionaires pay to protect them will probably murder the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Don't worry, amazon will soon be putting billionaire exclusive geodesic dome habits on the moon, the rich are rapidly working on their life raft.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are there any old silent films where the film itself is lost but the music was preserved either through recordings or sheet music?

I think there's a few late silent films released with sound-on-disc music/effects tracks where there's no surviving prints, but sound discs exist. Which is kind of funny, actually.

There's really not a lot of original scores that survive. Off the top of my head, there's The Birth of a Nation, Nosferatu, The Last Laugh, Die Niebelungen, Napoleon, Metropolis, Battleship Potemkin, and Wings. Though, Napoleon's by Arthur Honneger apparently only has a small percentage of original music - most of his score is made up of existing classical/baroque period music, which both Carl Davis and Carmine Coppola opted for on their scores. For the vast majority of silent films, the studio would simply supply the theater's music director with cue sheets recommending types of pieces. In fact, a lot of key film composers got their start with silent film scoring - Carl Stalling and Frank Churchill were once musical directors at LA theaters.

Also, there was actually a German 78 disc released with selections from Gottfried Huppertz' score for Metropolis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JEGOJ1jE6I

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 8, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp-N_9fJL6g

CPL593H posted:

Sure, if you manage to avoid the cannibals.

I keep telling people to eat my rear end, eventually they're gonna do it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Shameless self-promotion but if you ever find that you are in a position where you can shoot film photos, please do so, this is the most fun I've had in a while:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Shameless self-promotion but if you ever find that you are in a position where you can shoot film photos, please do so, this is the most fun I've had in a while:

Nice! I wish I could shoot more film but it's so damned expensive. I do love my little Instax though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Coffee And Pie posted:

Nice! I wish I could shoot more film but it's so damned expensive. I do love my little Instax though.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a black and white developing kit for this exact reason, but yeah, there's just something really lovely about film that I can't describe, every time I get scans back it's like Christmas.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

There's a film festival next month in Greensboro, NC that looks good:
https://riverrunfilm.com/archive-film/

edit: Goddamnit, their website showed the 2018 schedule by default for some insane reason.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 8, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Captain Marvel was decent. Exceptional 90’s soundtrack, a lot of “holy poo poo the internet and computers were terrible back then” gags, and Ben Mendelsohn hamming things up with a less cyncial,
wisecracking Nick Fury (who had not yet had his personality crushed into dust via a decade plus of top secret intergalctic chicanery).

I also loved Kree Team Six and the shots of Hala. It reminded me of the opening of Man of Steel and the shots of Kypton and how I wanted to see that movie, instead.

Brie Larson was fine. I’ve seen her give good performances in other films, but I just feel like she was sleepwalking through this one. Maybe it was just the way the character was written.

Goose the Cat stole the drat show, though.

I’d definitely recommend seeing it at a matinee showing. IMAX if possible.

I should also add that Disney has perfected the de-aging CGI process.

They’ve totally mastered it. Sam Jackson, for 2+ hours, looked like Die Hard 3 Sam Jackson. It was amazing and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if you didn’t know any better. Now, granted, they had a living template that was accented with digital technology to work with. It’ll be interesting to see if they can up their game in the “This person is dead but they’re in this movie” department, because that is still very much not perfected....yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm getting a decent amount from my tax returns so I'm treating myself to a new TV, my current one probably is about 10 years old and a piddling 24 in, so I'm excited to upgrade to a 42 incher. What brands are good? I'm looking at the TCL right now but I figured you all would know the best.

In my experience Samsung are making the best TVs right now, great 4K/HDR quality and the remote and UI is really fluid and pretty

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonz posted:

Captain Marvel was decent. Exceptional 90’s soundtrack, a lot of “holy poo poo the internet and computers were terrible back then” gags, and Ben Mendelsohn hamming things up with a less cyncial,
wisecracking Nick Fury (who had not yet had his personality crushed into dust via a decade plus of top secret intergalctic chicanery).

I also loved Kree Team Six and the shots of Hala. It reminded me of the opening of Man of Steel and the shots of Kypton and how I wanted to see that movie, instead.

Brie Larson was fine. I’ve seen her give good performances in other films, but I just feel like she was sleepwalking through this one. Maybe it was just the way the character was written.

Goose the Cat stole the drat show, though.

I’d definitely recommend seeing it at a matinee showing. IMAX if possible.

I should also add that Disney has perfected the de-aging CGI process.

They’ve totally mastered it. Sam Jackson, for 2+ hours, looked like Die Hard 3 Sam Jackson. It was amazing and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if you didn’t know any better. Now, granted, they had a living template that was accented with digital technology to work with. It’ll be interesting to see if they can up their game in the “This person is dead but they’re in this movie” department, because that is still very much not perfected....yet.

I agree with all of this. I liked it well enough. It was like GOTG Lite which I did enjoy. Just enjoying the last bit of GOTG before it's erased completely from the MCU.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Netflix actually does have a whole bunch of Japanese and Korean romance/drama TV shows.

Prison Playbook is so good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I agree with all of this. I liked it well enough. It was like GOTG Lite

So the hero is a (wo)manchild, but not an outright sociopathic murderer like Star-Lord?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like suicide is the natural end point to a certain amount of weariness one attains after decades of facing the truth that 99% of all people are crazy stupid assholes and that, in fact, not being a crazy stupid rear end in a top hat is probably a mutation that is actively selected against in evolution.

Related, gently caress I haven't been single so long i forgot how much I hate being single. Ugh. I talk to you dorks more than I talk to my mother.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I guess today is some sort of big day for Finding Neverland, since both a Dutch and Belgium TV station are showing it in full. The Dutch one even has a talkshow about it at the front, back and in the middle. They are really taking this serious. Though they should have gotten Chris Hardwick for that talkshow, he's an expert on the subject of abuse, right?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
you know you have a miscommunication problem when on women's day you reply at a patronising tweet from a EU official and get likes from brexiters and conservatives.

precision posted:

I feel like suicide is the natural end point to a certain amount of weariness one attains after decades of facing the truth that 99% of all people are crazy stupid assholes and that, in fact, not being a crazy stupid rear end in a top hat is probably a mutation that is actively selected against in evolution.

Related, gently caress I haven't been single so long i forgot how much I hate being single. Ugh. I talk to you dorks more than I talk to my mother.

I've been single for most part of my life and it gets weird when one gets roped into couples dates or have be a third wheel on their dynamics.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

in uh movie news here's the last three things I watched:

Noroi: The Curse: Kind of a chore to get through (took two sittings for me), but once i settled into its groove it was pretty enjoyable. Ending was freaky but also ticked the boxes for some of my found-footage pet peeves. Reinforced for me that mockumentaries > found footage movies. Made me wanna rewatch Ghostwatch.

Check out Occult, that's a good Noroi follow-up, too bad the director ended up doing stuff like Sadako vs. Kayako

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

Check out Occult, that's a good Noroi follow-up, too bad the director ended up doing stuff like Sadako vs. Kayako

Yeah i'll probably check out Occult at some point although i also feel obligated to point out that Sadako vs. Kayako loving owns

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah i'll probably check out Occult at some point although i also feel obligated to point out that Sadako vs. Kayako loving owns

Really? Most I read portrayed it as overlong with a 10 mins fight at the end.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

fake edit: I kinda wanna cut together a soundtrack from Train songs

Please for the love of Christ, no.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm getting a decent amount from my tax returns so I'm treating myself to a new TV, my current one probably is about 10 years old and a piddling 24 in, so I'm excited to upgrade to a 42 incher. What brands are good? I'm looking at the TCL right now but I figured you all would know the best.

My Vizio 42” has lasted about 5 years and never given me any trouble, it’s good if you don’t mind that Vizio screencaps everything you watch and sells that information to third-party advertisers 🙃

CPL593H posted:

I feel like everything going to poo poo and all the stuff about how climate change related disasters are going to cause the collapse of civilization in the next decade isn't really doing wonders for people that are prone to suicide.

Also the fact that for lots of people, disaster isn’t even a decade away, one bad day where someone hits you with their car or you trip down your own stairs can utterly ruin your life.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Honest Thief posted:

What you read is bullshit, SvK owns hard. It's easily one of the best Ring films and much more handily probably even the best Grudge movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

It's very good goofy fun, like a better Freddy vs Jason.

K. Waste posted:

What you read is bullshit, SvK owns hard. It's easily one of the best Ring films and much more handily probably even the best Grudge movie.

yeah it's probably my favorite Grudge movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know if the suicide discussion makes this the best or worst time to bring it up, but The Devil, Probably is incredible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Anything with as little "smart" poo poo in it as possible.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anything with as little "smart" poo poo in it as possible.

It’s annoying as hell, nobody makes dumb TVs anymore! When did this happen? Why? What’s wrong with everyone?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know if the suicide discussion makes this the best or worst time to bring it up, but The Devil, Probably is incredible.
For all the redemptive talk surrounding Bresson's films, it sure felt like something was drained from him by the time he started making them in color.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

It’s annoying as hell, nobody makes dumb TVs anymore! When did this happen? Why? What’s wrong with everyone?

It's part of the reason TV's are dirt cheap now, they're all listening to you and collecting data on what you watch and buy. Samsung has always been golden to me but Vizio has come a long way and you could probably get a great TV for like 300 bucks.

I mean:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-50S425-inch-Smart-Roku/dp/B07JK98NNQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 8, 2019

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
And most of the tv apps are poo poo to begin with. Watching netflix on one is an exercise of patience.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's very good goofy fun, like a better Freddy vs Jason.

yeah it's probably my favorite Grudge movie.

K. Waste posted:

On my to watch list it goes then.
Freddy vs Jason was real fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

And most of the tv apps are poo poo to begin with. Watching netflix on one is an exercise of patience.

They literally only exist to harvest data. Some of the TV's even have wifi that is bizarrely hard to disable entirely.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been enjoying my LG. It's really snappy compared to other smart TVs I've used. I just wish the store had better apps. It's got the basics, Netflix, Hulu. Prime, but no specialty apps like Crunchyroll or whatever. I might have to buy a Roku when the Criterion Channel launches.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I picked up an old SLR for this recently but I haven't done anything with it yet because I still need to learn all the technicalities of shutter speeds and apertures. My only experience so far is with various instant films.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Do you have an Instax Mini or an Instax Wide?

Fujifilm makes me sad because the Instax films are very good, probably even better than the original Polaroid films but the cameras are crap. And it seems like they have no interest in making a better camera. Their packfilm was great stuff and it avoided this problem because it was for use in the old Polaroid Land Cameras, so of course they stopped selling it. Some people say it was so they could devote their entire production line to Instax. But anyway the Instax Wide is fun and I like to bring it with me to stand up comedy shows and then after the show I get a picture with the performer and they autograph the little white border. HOURS OF FUN.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I picked up an old SLR for this recently but I haven't done anything with it yet because I still need to learn all the technicalities of shutter speeds and apertures. My only experience so far is with various instant films.

Fujifilm makes me sad because the Instax films are very good, probably even better than the original Polaroid films but the cameras are crap. And it seems like they have no interest in making a better camera. Their packfilm was great stuff and it avoided this problem because it was for use in the old Polaroid Land Cameras, so of course they stopped selling it. Some people say it was so they could devote their entire production line to Instax. But anyway the Instax Wide is fun and I like to bring it with me to stand up comedy shows and then after the show I get a picture with the performer and they autograph the little white border. HOURS OF FUN.

For the SLR, it probably has a built in light meter, you can just use that to figure out exposure. Shutter speed is how fast it shoots, it's expressed as a fraction of a second, so higher number means faster means less light being exposed to the film, aperture called f stop and is how big a hole is that lets light in when you click the shutter, it's also a fraction so larger number means smaller hole means less light. Shutter speed affects how blurry something is in motion, for still shots anything faster than 1/60 is probably fine for hand held, aperture affects how much in the foreground and background of whatever you're focused on is also in focus, the bigger the f stop the smaller the hole the more stuff is in focus.

For instax, lomography.com has a bunch of third party cameras that use Fuji instax film of different sizes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

For the SLR, it probably has a built in light meter, you can just use that to figure out exposure. Shutter speed is how fast it shoots, it's expressed as a fraction of a second, so higher number means faster means less light being exposed to the film, aperture called f stop and is how big a hole is that lets light in when you click the shutter, it's also a fraction so larger number means smaller hole means less light. Shutter speed affects how blurry something is in motion, for still shots anything faster than 1/60 is probably fine for hand held, aperture affects how much in the foreground and background of whatever you're focused on is also in focus, the bigger the f stop the smaller the hole the more stuff is in focus.

For instax, lomography.com has a bunch of third party cameras that use Fuji instax film of different sizes.

I know what all those things do, I just don't know how to use them properly to get whatever my desired effect is. I'm also the king of procrastinators so I mostly just need to go to a library and get a book about it.

The third party Instax cameras are just disgustingly over priced crap for people with more money than sense. They'll run about 300-400 bucks but the results aren't any better than the Fuji made cameras, or so I've read. And I couldn't afford that anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

I know what all those things do, I just don't know how to use them properly to get whatever my desired effect is. I'm also the king of procrastinators so I mostly just need to go to a library and get a book about it.

:justpost: or rather just shoot. Take a few shots of running water at different speeds to get an idea of what effects you get, mess around with different apertures and a single subject to get a feel for that too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

precision posted:

Is sort of interesting how even if someone is over 70 and had a great life, it's still "what the gently caress cancer, leave him alone"

Like I'm sad about Alex too but this culture of death worship is getting weird

I don't get this. What are you talking about "death worship?" It's sad when someone you like dies. Trebek has just sort of been this constant presence in our lives for decades, for a lot of us here our entire lives. Even if we don't watch Jeopardy every day there's still something about this guy you like and find comforting or entertaining and he could be 100 it'd be sad when he dies. Not to mention Stage 4 pancreatic cancer is an awful way to go. There's no "death worship" here, it's a loving terrible thing to happen to anybody and while we all have to die you'd like it to be going peacefully in his sleep a decade from now rather than retiring early and suffering through this poo poo.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So the hero is a (wo)manchild, but not an outright sociopathic murderer like Star-Lord?

Anyone who proudly proclaims to come from an army of self-described "noble warrior heroes" should definitely not be trusted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh great, BotL is here

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Anyone who proudly proclaims to come from an army of self-described "noble warrior heroes" should definitely not be trusted.

Vegeta is who he his.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Okay so turns out I can get an Insignia for $40 less than the TCL and don’t have to worry about shipping. Guess I’m getting a new TV tonight!

CPL593H posted:

I have the mini, I wanted the square originally but I got it for $8 at Savers so I’m not complaining

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

precision posted:

Oh great, BotL is here

Hes a regular here

E: at the ol cined bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006