Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I remember reading a zine article about her dj set in Sydney years ago and she's actually worse behind the decks than you would have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
i "eat" soylent

also lmao

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I eat for $50 a week. Soylent to keep me at 3,000 kCal would cost me $300. Eating out isn't going to make that any cheaper. What I eat is actually enjoyable to consume too, it is a varied diet based around what is in season and I feel like at the time.

Soylent is worse in every possible way than eating well. All for the 3 hours a week I spend preparing meals in bulk and refrigerating.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
#thanksApple

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jobson groeth posted:

I eat for $50 a week. Soylent to keep me at 3,000 kCal would cost me $300. Eating out isn't going to make that any cheaper. What I eat is actually enjoyable to consume too, it is a varied diet based around what is in season and I feel like at the time.

Are you a polar explorer or what?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

Nah, just run a lot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Historically, we underestimate how much our ancestors, especially people in cities, ate out. There was also a mass disruption of our food history from 1920 to 1950 between prohibition, food shortages, the world war disrupting the passing on of culinary traditions, and new technology making old preservation methods obsolete while raising their own issues.

Practically, if you're that anxious about spending too much time cooking food, there's a whole lot of things you can do without cooking, like sandwiches, or things that take basically no time to cook like eggs or ramen. Canned food is real easy to eat. Cut off a block of cheese. Get something you can just pour into a bowl straight out of a bag. Buy a bagel and just swallow it whole. Drink soup out of the can without heating it. It's not that bad.

There's really no reason to buy into soylent. Even if you want a bland nutri-slurry, there's better things on the market.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yes. we assume people should perform some labor to feed themselves. we also assume you'll clean, wash yourself, etc

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

yes. we assume people should perform some labor to feed themselves. we also assume you'll clean, wash yourself, etc

this is why responsible employers will eventually install mandatory delousing stations and scrubs machines for their employees to clean and dress themselves without the hassle of having to make a decision or deal with pesky autonomy

simply scan your phone at the Delousr or Scrub-up machines to verify that your subscriptions are active and your employment status valid to be cleaned and clothed with only minimal effort on your part

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

But maybe we shouldn't? If we aren't maximizing efficiencies enabling more of our labor to be stolen by the few then what is even the point of anything?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceGoku posted:

this is why responsible employers will eventually install mandatory delousing stations and scrubs machines for their employees to clean and dress themselves without the hassle of having to make a decision or deal with pesky autonomy

simply scan your phone at the Delousr or Scrub-up machines to verify that your subscriptions are active and your employment status valid to be cleaned and clothed with only minimal effort on your part

ijustwanttodie

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i attended some event that had her as a surprise guest dj. the set was so bad they had to get emergency dancers to perform alongside to stop people from leaving

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i attended some event that had her as a surprise guest dj. the set was so bad they had to get emergency dancers to perform alongside to stop people from leaving

If Paris Hilton was ever featured as entertainment at any work-related function I would probably quit on the spot and rethink my life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1103972252641607681

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

jobson groeth posted:

Soylent is worse in every possible way than eating well. All for the 3 hours a week I spend preparing meals in bulk and refrigerating.

I used to be friends with this sort of "future-minded" right-wind tech bro guy (back before that was a thing anyone knew about). Soylent is right up his alley as he considered eating to be a chore and a waste of time. He hated trying new or different food and would just eat the same things all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if he was into the Soylent thing by now.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Local Weather posted:

I used to be friends with this sort of "future-minded" right-wind tech bro guy (back before that was a thing anyone knew about). Soylent is right up his alley as he considered eating to be a chore and a waste of time. He hated trying new or different food and would just eat the same things all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if he was into the Soylent thing by now.

Sounds like a fun and cool guy to be friends with

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
somebody tell these fuckers that frozen meals exist if you don't want to cook

if you don't even want to loving chew, Ensure and a bunch of other meal replacement drinks exist

why is it always Soylent that they go for

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Platystemon posted:

3k calories aint that much

also what the gently caress is soylent other than a movie thing made out of people?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Main Paineframe posted:

if you don't even want to loving chew, Ensure and a bunch of other meal replacement drinks exist

because it's ~~~disruptive~~~ and it lets them pretend they're eating people

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

This market ain't gonna disrupt itself, bub!

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

DrPossum posted:

Sounds like a fun and cool guy to be friends with

It's funny how you can be good friends with someone in high school then meet up 15 years later and realize that someone has changed so much that you can hardly stand to be in the same room with them. Or maybe they were that way all along but the confines of youth and such didn't let it all come out.

I had no idea he was a radical Catholic (yes they exist) full on Rush Limbaugh dick-sucker conservative until we met up again as adults. We're not friends anymore.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Main Paineframe posted:

They love the zest added by the rodent turds.

tillytown
Dec 19, 2018
I actually don't mind Soylent. The chocolate flavor is pretty good and I have a soft spot for it because it helped me through a really rough period of depression. I couldn't even get out of bed to make a sandwich or whatever so I kept a box of Soylent next to me (it doesn't have to be refrigerated) so I could be sure I was getting sustenance. I liked it because it was specifically a meal replacement that had 400 calories per bottle, whereas Ensure has only 250, I believe, and at the time I associated it with weight loss. Maybe there were other options I could have chosen but a friend told me about Soylent and I liked it. -shrug- That said, I totally agree all the tech bros who are into it and the company itself are obnoxious.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hentai Jihadist posted:

3k calories aint that much

also what the gently caress is soylent other than a movie thing made out of people?

an under-socialized libertarian software engineer who thought chewing food was an inefficient waste of time bought a chemistry textbook, and decided it made him a nutritional expert. so he bought a bunch of nutrient supplements off the shelf from grocery stores and chemistry supply stores, threw them together in a blender, and posted the results online as a meal replacement wonder drink. and yes, he named it after the stuff that was made out of people

it took off among sociopathic joyless hacker types, so he put it on Kickstarter and crowdfunded the creation of a company to sell it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Soylent is a microcosm of the diseased mind that is unfortunately common in engineers or “engineers”.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

tillytown posted:

I actually don't mind Soylent. The chocolate flavor is pretty good and I have a soft spot for it because it helped me through a really rough period of depression. I couldn't even get out of bed to make a sandwich or whatever so I kept a box of Soylent next to me (it doesn't have to be refrigerated) so I could be sure I was getting sustenance. I liked it because it was specifically a meal replacement that had 400 calories per bottle, whereas Ensure has only 250, I believe, and at the time I associated it with weight loss. Maybe there were other options I could have chosen but a friend told me about Soylent and I liked it. -shrug- That said, I totally agree all the tech bros who are into it and the company itself are obnoxious.

you know that poo poo is made in a warehouse with open containers and poo poo, right? like not a food processing warehouse just a generic "film set for low budget horror movies on weekends" kind of warehouse

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's really no reason to buy into soylent. Even if you want a bland nutri-slurry, there's better things on the market.
Soylent is literally just Slim-Fast or Ensure, but marketed at ~*disruptive techbros*~ instead of women going to a 10-year high school reunion or old folks with brittle bones. It's the most hilarious reverse-"pink tax" product ever.

tillytown
Dec 19, 2018

Peanut President posted:

you know that poo poo is made in a warehouse with open containers and poo poo, right? like not a food processing warehouse just a generic "film set for low budget horror movies on weekends" kind of warehouse

No, I didn't know. I won't be using it anymore because I'm over the worst of my depression and I know there's better options out there now. At the time, though, like I said it was very useful to me.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

It's the logical conclusion of the min-maxing computer mindset that lots of tech types have. Life to them is like computer code -- anything less than 100% optimized efficiency in life, health, and work is foolishness and must be avoided. This makes them feel like amazing supergenius biohackers, while in reality they're joyless spergs with machine hearts and machine minds.

The same guy who invented Soylent also wears utilitarian polyester jumpsuits and throws them away instead of washing them because he wants to be 100% water efficient.

Dynastocles has issued a correction as of 16:31 on Mar 8, 2019

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I make myself smoothies for lunch out of fruits, vegetables, and nuts with a whey isolate and coconut oil thrown in because I work a calorie intensive job. It costs me like 20 bucks for 7 meals if nothing is on sale and it tastes good and takes like five minutes a day and half an hour on sunday to do.

Dynastocles posted:

It's the logical conclusion of the min-maxing computer mindset that lots of tech types have. Life to them is like computer code -- anything less than 100% optimized efficiency in life, health, and work is foolishness and must be avoided. This makes them feel like amazing supergenius biohackers, while in reality they're joyless spergs with machine hearts and machine minds.

The same guy who invented Soylent also wears utilitarian polyester jumpsuits and throws them away instead of washing them because he wants to be 100% water efficient.

and like all things, the reality is that they're just bad at understanding wider systems and are causing huge problems because they decided that externalities didn't matter to their models

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

There's a healthy middle ground between all takeout and soylent poo poo and bullshit foodie 4 hour meal preps that most regular people figure out. Jesus just go download some Rachel Ray recipes.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

quote:

f wise
Everybody says that until suddenly they have an extra three to four hours in the day to be productive. You don’t realize how much time you are wasting on food until you don’t have to waste it.
36 replies 1 retweet 15 likes"

To be productive ... doing what? More work? It's almost as if the act of creating, eating, and socializing around meals is something that people look forward to because they consider it relaxing, leisurely, and enjoyable :monocle:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dynastocles posted:

To be productive ... doing what? More work? It's almost as if the act of creating, eating, and socializing around meals is something that people look forward to and consider relaxing, leisurely, and enjoyable :monocle:

it wastes even more time than reading a bed time story to your child. be logical.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

tillytown posted:

I think we can close the thread now, dystopia accomplished.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dynastocles posted:

To be productive ... doing what? More work? It's almost as if the act of creating, eating, and socializing around meals is something that people look forward to because they consider it relaxing, leisurely, and enjoyable :monocle:

you can always tell these kinds of tech bros dont have friends because they dont understand how loving fun everyone getting buzzed in the kitchen and hollering over the stove is

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

tillytown posted:

No, I didn't know. I won't be using it anymore because I'm over the worst of my depression and I know there's better options out there now. At the time, though, like I said it was very useful to me.

good on ya

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Easy Diff posted:

Soylent is literally just Slim-Fast or Ensure, but marketed at ~*disruptive techbros*~ instead of women going to a 10-year high school reunion or old folks with brittle bones. It's the most hilarious reverse-"pink tax" product ever.

nah, there's a big difference: the formula for Soylent is created by a software engineer with a shaky grasp on biology, who created the original formula by reading biochem textbooks and refined it by waiting to see if he developed any nutritional deficiencies and then adding more of whatever he was lacking

slimfast and ensure presumably employ people who actually know what they're doing

really, the Soylent guy is a perfect example of someone who realizes that humanity is facing deep problems but is incapable of coming up with solutions that aren't downright bizarre. it's like if fuckin RMS started a restaurant - you'd be absolutely sure that it would exactly obey whatever ideological goal he had for it, but unless that ideological goal expressly included "I will not season food with poo poo I picked out of my toenails", I probably wouldn't ever eat there

Dec 26, 2012

Dynastocles posted:

gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's basically the nerd equivalent of paying a premium to buy pseudo-manly poo poo to pretend like you're roughing it in the wild. Role-playing that you have to give up the aesthetic pleasures of life, except instead of communing with nature or finding yourself, you're maximizing your service potential to your overlord.

Or marathoning videogames. I think that's where the legend of poopsocking comes from.

Main Paineframe posted:

an under-socialized libertarian software engineer who thought chewing food was an inefficient waste of time bought a chemistry textbook, and decided it made him a nutritional expert. so he bought a bunch of nutrient supplements off the shelf from grocery stores and chemistry supply stores, threw them together in a blender, and posted the results online as a meal replacement wonder drink. and yes, he named it after the stuff that was made out of people

it took off among sociopathic joyless hacker types, so he put it on Kickstarter and crowdfunded the creation of a company to sell it

He also stopped pooping, so I'm not sure he legally qualifies as a person anymore.