Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

because the aliens didn't take 'modern' form until alien: covenant

Here's something I'm calling because I think Scott has planned this out...

David himself will become the official progenitor of the "classic" Alien. Because, if you look at the Xenomorph in Covenant it lacks the piping of the classic Xeno. Its limbs are smooth and sinewy. Its not as "bio-mechanical" as the one from the first film, so I think they'll pull some kind of "David isn't fully robotic and is some kind of biological/android construct" and that's where the classic Xeno look will come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
AvP and AvP2 were better than Prometheus and Covenant

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The music in Prometheus was so bad and then in Covenant David is playing the theme song on his flute. lol

Covenant music was decent though from what I remember.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Drunken Baker posted:

The music in Prometheus was so bad and then in Covenant David is playing the theme song on his flute. lol

Covenant music was decent though from what I remember.

My sister and I turned and laughed together a good hearty laugh when the David's were playing a recorder together. No one in the theater cared or told us to shut up.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Owlbear Camus posted:

You're gonna have a good time.

If I could make my own cut a la carte I'd take the director's cut minus two things:
The Hadley's Hope pre bad stuff scenes (kills the pacing and tips the hand too bad).
The queen conversation would cut off at the line "So what's laying all the eggs?" like the theatrical cut instead of the scene being extended.

I did in fact have a good time.

Agreed on the Hadley's Hope scenes, everything else was fine though.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I dunno, I think there are good Alien stories left, but they don't involve Ripley and they don't involve some kind of overarching mythology.

This. One of the biggest problems with movie franchises is the need to connect every loving thing back to the original good movies. I don't need the hero of the movie to be Ripley's grand nice who inexplicably meets and falls in love with Orin Hicks who joined the colonial marines like his hero great uncle did.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
It’s like poetry.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

RossMan4Life posted:

Do the chest bursters and face huggers have variants like the final form had in AVP? Like would a face hugger just punch through an eye if the host didn't have an orifice out in the open?

More importantly does someone have a good gif of the chest burster from Space Balls?

I am fully convinced that FaceHuggers are only known as FaceHuggers because we've only ever seen them laying eggs down peoples throats. It's just that the face of the host was always the most readily accessible orifice, and generally facing the direction of the FaceHugger when it attacked.

I believe, that if presented the opportunity, say, like a FaceHugger was hiding in the toilet, it would be more than happy to latch on and lay it's eggs in the hosts rear end.

Also...

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Jay_Zombie posted:

I believe, that if presented the opportunity, say, like a FaceHugger was hiding in the toilet, it would be more than happy to latch on and lay it's eggs in the hosts rear end.

I know in one of the comics there was a T-Rex Xenomorph. No way a Facehugger could wrap around its maw. So either it laid an egg in its rear end or up its piss hole. This theory passes the test imho.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drunken Baker posted:

I know in one of the comics there was a T-Rex Xenomorph. No way a Facehugger could wrap around its maw. So either it laid an egg in its rear end or up its piss hole. This theory passes the test imho.
:science: AND its peehole. As the ancestors of birds, dinosaurs almost certainly had cloacas.

Also in this scenario the t-rex alien emerged as an assburster

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Smiling Mandrill posted:

This. One of the biggest problems with movie franchises is the need to connect every loving thing back to the original good movies. I don't need the hero of the movie to be Ripley's grand nice who inexplicably meets and falls in love with Orin Hicks who joined the colonial marines like his hero great uncle did.

Imagine who are the type of people who fill movie test audiences. They love that poo poo. Same reason Taco Bell does all of their new food testing in Ohio.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Smiling Mandrill posted:

A Hundred Years of Solitude and Aliens

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

My headcanon for the xenomorphs is the AvP comics explanation: the xenomorphs just existed, the Predators discovered them and went on to seed countless worlds with their eggs so they could hunt them. Simple, explains everything, contradicts nothing.

But Ridley of course has never been told his ideas are bad so here we are with dumb convoluted prequel poo poo.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
I was thinking as a read this what happen to the first queen from the first movie is she still drifting in space??

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

I was rather content knowing nothing. The only explanation needed is Ash's:

Parker : That's bullshit.

Ash : You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Lambert : You admire it.

Ash : I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dynastocles posted:

My headcanon for the xenomorphs is the AvP comics explanation: the xenomorphs just existed, the Predators discovered them and went on to seed countless worlds with their eggs so they could hunt them. Simple, explains everything, contradicts nothing.

But Ridley of course has never been told his ideas are bad so here we are with dumb convoluted prequel poo poo.

It's a better idea because then we could see the hell world that would cause the xenomorphs to evolve. What sort of predators did they face that required they evolve loving acid blood?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The alien doesn’t need to be explained, its origins should be unknowable, and Aliens pushes the explanation about as far as it can go (there’s a big one that shits out the little ones) without making it silly as gently caress like Promo/Covenant or AVP. Though personally I think the lifecycle depicted in Alien is much more elegant and creepy: one facehugger makes one alien larva, which grows up and cocoons an animal before impregnating it with another embryonic facehugger as it melts into a protective eggcase. No big obvious weak point to shoot full of grenades, if a single alien has enough fauna to rape it can breed a thousand more.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

What's the best Alien game, AVP 2 (2002), or Alien Isolation?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I remembered this scene but had forgotten that they literally got John Hurt to do the cameo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

The alien doesn’t need to be explained, its origins should be unknowable, and Aliens pushes the explanation about as far as it can go (there’s a big one that shits out the little ones) without making it silly as gently caress like Promo/Covenant or AVP. Though personally I think the lifecycle depicted in Alien is much more elegant and creepy: one facehugger makes one alien larva, which grows up and cocoons an animal before impregnating it with another embryonic facehugger as it melts into a protective eggcase. No big obvious weak point to shoot full of grenades, if a single alien has enough fauna to rape it can breed a thousand more.

Yeah mystery is good. The more you explain something, the less scary it is. I'd rather speculate on whether the Alien is a bioweapon or a natural organism. Fun to imagine.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Jay_Zombie posted:

I am fully convinced that FaceHuggers are only known as FaceHuggers because we've only ever seen them laying eggs down peoples throats. It's just that the face of the host was always the most readily accessible orifice, and generally facing the direction of the FaceHugger when it attacked.

Also...

You all are very right that Aliens was a great movie and a cinematic high water mark for practical effects.

But I'm watching Spaceballs tonight!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
so this is kinda ot but Ridley scott directing this crazy commercial for hennessy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ruuTs134k

The guy hosed up my favorite movie series but god drat he is good at visuals.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Smiling Mandrill posted:

This is true. The thing connecting every movie can just be the aliens. They could have episodic stuff that isn't connected and they can really do whatever they want. I'd of course love to see another confrontation between the xenomorphs and marines.

Hollywood would never allow this or anything even remotely close to it in any form.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A goon made this one. I always laugh when I see it. Ash at the end lol.

https://i.imgur.com/toB5u9G.gifv

Yip yip.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yip yip.

That is pure gold.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Btw the artwork of older Ripley and one eyed Hicks was badass

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yip yip.

Holy poo poo that is perfect.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

skasion posted:

These are not mutually contradictory! All we know from Aliens is that a mature colony can contain a giant fuckoff near unkillable super alien that can poop out stockpiles of eggs like an assembly line. How hard or easy it is to get to that, whether that's the end game of a colony of just something that happens under certain circumstances etc, that's all up in the air.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

gonna rewatch Aliens DC and Alien 3 Assembly cut over the next few days.

for kicks I also reread some of the mediocre alien novels I read as a kid. alien: rogue would make a decent movie.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Splicer posted:

These are not mutually contradictory! All we know from Aliens is that a mature colony can contain a giant fuckoff near unkillable super alien that can poop out stockpiles of eggs like an assembly line. How hard or easy it is to get to that, whether that's the end game of a colony of just something that happens under certain circumstances etc, that's all up in the air.

it makes them thematically a lot less scary if they're just giant murder ants tho, the Aliens aliens are absolutely less a horrifying unfathomable demon and more something that would've been a slightly dangerous nuisance if not for Gorman and W-Y actively loving everything up

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 8, 2019

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

So this is just a reminder that Aliens is one of the best movies ever made. Don't even try to argue that.

I probably watch Aliens about 20 times a year. If I'm doing something on my computer I'll just put it on in the background and let it play. The director's cut has some great and very important scenes that they cut out. Like the entire reason why they went to LV-426 in the first place!!! Also the turret scene is great. It starts the beginning of the tension of them being hunted down while they're holed up.

Why aren't you watching Aliens right now?

This is also an excuse to bring up one of the best actors of all time. Bill Paxton. I was very upset to see him go, and it was due to complications from surgery. It was not his time and the dear lord stole him from us.

Paxton's character, Pvt Hudson, almost stole the movie if it wasn't a piece of god drat perfection in itself. He was the ultimate badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xj24Gdxds
(this is first scene is from the director's cut I believe, whose loving idea was it to cut this out?)

So tell me goons. Now what the gently caress are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty poo poo, man! That is... unless we discuss this cinematic masterpiece.

I like the idea of putting my Aliens (Directors Cut) on the TV on repeat.

Doing it.

And yeah that automatic targeting computer controlled gun thing should have been in the original. It's intense.

I remember one time I was with my friend at Maccas (McDonalds) and he had a vanilla shake. He put his head on the table and let the white liquid dribble out of his mouth and said "Not bad for a human." I nearly choked from laughing so much.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Splicer posted:

I tend to go with the explanation that some of the books use which is that a drone can - if not in the presence of a queen - morph into a queen to start a new colony. It's elegant, there's precedence for it, and it's all the explanation that is necessary. Predators seeding planets for hunts is a neat little side add-on, but like others have said outside of specific "biology" stuff there's no reason to explain where they came from. They don't need to be a creation myth.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it makes them thematically a lot less scary if they're just giant murder ants tho, the Aliens aliens are absolutely less a horrifying unfathomable demon and more something that would've been a slightly dangerous nuisance if not for Gorman and W-Y actively loving everything up

I think it makes them different scary, tbh. The complete alien-ness of the creature from the original movie is basically obliterated by the second film for sure, but the giant murder ants are scary in their own way, especially when you get into some of the EU stuff where they're decimating units not led by fuckups like Gorman

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Here's a dumb opinion, I like the first AvP way more than requiem.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i thought AvP: requiem was bad because the characters were killed off too quickly. what makes aliens good is you get invested into the dynamics of the marines and then they get killed, not just randomly introducing them and killing them off within minutes. also none of the characters in requiem react appropriately to literally hundreds of people being ripped apart around them.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I mean, the first AvP was way closer to what the AvP comics were like than Requiem. It’s not exactly a bad take, considering both movies were pretty bad.

I only like Requiem cause it has that dope scene where the dad gets loving wrecked as he’s peering through the sliding glass door.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

HBO needs to make a sick aliens series.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Here's a dumb opinion, I like the first AvP way more than requiem.

This isn’t a dumb opinion at all. AVP is clumsy in execution (PG13 Alien movie? PG13 Predator movie? Lmao) on top of the whole idea being dumb, but it’s a fun dumb. It’s essentially one big crackpot pastiche of “At the Mountains of Madness” and it’s hard to go all the way wrong with that premise. Requiem is a terrible movie with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, there’s really nothing worse to say about it than that it looks like complete poo poo despite being conceived and directed by two special effects guys.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

any alien movie is improved by 75% by not. casting. loving. lance. henriksen.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

HBO needs to make a sick aliens series.

I would love to see this, but at the same time, I wouldn't.
If it were like, a high budget 5 part series, where some marines or a science team get marooned on a planet while checking out a research station that dropped communication, and the story arc was all the things that happened while they were trying to get off the planet, over the span of like a week or something, then yeah, that would be cool. But I can't see it being something that runs for multiple seasons without it turning into the Walking Dead: Alien Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

any alien movie is improved by 75% by not. casting. loving. lance. henriksen.

Where the gently caress did this cspam mod take come from?