Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

echinopsis posted:

the alphabet poo poo has been quite enlightening and i’m glad english has hosed up grammar and inconsistent pronounciation rather than dealing with weird looking letters

hangul's fuckin great, shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i thought hangul had really logical and cool looking letters tho? (idk i never learned it)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is it korean which is the only “designed” language?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mandarin has a different letter for every single word in their language

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

did you quit drinking yet echi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

mandarin has a different letter for every single word in their language

nope

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it’s more complicated than that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did you quit drinking yet echi

i’ve significantly decreased my alcohol intake this year and am currently aggressively sober (because I am at work)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
general rule : don’t drink when at home

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

a chinese character represents a single syllable, and pretty much always has a meaning on its own as a word. but a majority of words have two syllables, and thus two characters, and some have more than that. and then some characters have been merged into one so today you have some single characters that represent more than one word, and which word it means depends on context

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

a chinese character represents a single syllable, and pretty much always has a meaning on its own as a word. but a majority of words have two syllables, and thus two characters, and some have more than that. and then some characters have been merged into one so today you have some single characters that represent more than one word, and which word it means depends on context

너무 복잡하다

좀 더 간단하게 해라

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

and then there’s some words that have one character and one meaning but different pronunciations for some reason? like 血 means blood but it can be pronounced in two different ways and afaict you just pick which way you wanna use it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

echinopsis posted:

general rule : don’t drink when at home

good poo poo, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

and then there’s some words that have one character and one meaning but different pronunciations for some reason? like 血 means blood but it can be pronounced in two different ways and afaict you just pick which way you wanna use it

like tomatoe and tomayto

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve been playing assassins creed origins and so i’m a bit of an expert in highroglyphics and I think most languages could also benefit with the addition of people doing that walk like an egyptian letter

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

𓂸 𓂹 𓂺

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

echinopsis posted:

is it korean which is the only “designed” language?

excuse me but i am fluent in both klingon and sindarin, and furthermore,

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

pseudorandom name posted:

also keep in mind that OS X has a case-insensitive Unicode normalized file system, but it doesn't store any kind of case folding table or deal with the fact that the Unicode normalization algorithm has changed with every revision of the spec

this seems bad from a keep-poo poo-working-into-the-future perspective

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tim cook: 🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tim cook : not doing our job on the language front? check this out mates ... *releases new pedofile emoji in the LGBTA emoji group, with 4 hair colour opinions*

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

are you okay friend

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"chateau" is also a cool word because it falls into my favorite bucket of loan-words: words borrowed from french twice, with different meanings

chateau vs castle
guarantee vs warranty
etc

my favourite is suit vs suite

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

see also danish boulevard from the french, who borrowed it from old germanic bollwerk whence also old norse bolvirki and modern danish bolværk (bulwark in english)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

see also danish boulevard from the french, who borrowed it from old germanic bollwerk whence also old norse bolvirki and modern danish bolværk (bulwark in english)

okay, ill post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
speaking of tim cook: his recent twitter name change to "tim <apple logo>" using a codepoint in the Private Use Area showcased some topical unicode fun. on huawei phones, the apple logo instead renders as a tibetan glyph:

https://twitter.com/FakeUnicode/status/1103827658373132293

because in china, it's legally mandated to put precomposed variants of tibetan glyphs in that range. which huawei does, of course.

please consider any potential geopolitical and legal issues before comparing strings for equality. thank.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

tim cook : not doing our job on the language front? check this out mates ... *releases new pedofile emoji in the LGBTA emoji group, with 4 hair colour opinions*

don't do this thanks

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
http://yosefk.com/blog/its-done-in-hardware-so-its-cheap.html

> Leaving aside the question of what "high-level language" means (I really don't find it obvious at all, but never mind), object-orientation and dynamic typing frequently result in indirection: pointers instead of values and pointers to pointers instead of pointers. Sometimes it's done for no apparent reason – for instance, Erlang strings that are kept as linked lists of ints. (Why do people even like linked lists as "the" data structure and head/tail recursion as "the" control structure? But I digress.)

is this true? lol

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Suspicious Dish posted:

http://yosefk.com/blog/its-done-in-hardware-so-its-cheap.html

> Leaving aside the question of what "high-level language" means (I really don't find it obvious at all, but never mind), object-orientation and dynamic typing frequently result in indirection: pointers instead of values and pointers to pointers instead of pointers. Sometimes it's done for no apparent reason – for instance, Erlang strings that are kept as linked lists of ints. (Why do people even like linked lists as "the" data structure and head/tail recursion as "the" control structure? But I digress.)

is this true? lol

sort of. it's technically true that if you put `"hello world"` in an erlang source file you'll get a linked list of integers as a result, but the string type everyone actually uses in erlang and elixir is called a binary and it's a contiguous segment of bytes or a pointer to one (for large binaries or ones that are shared with another process)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

the talent deficit posted:

sort of. it's technically true that if you put `"hello world"` in an erlang source file you'll get a linked list of integers as a result, but the string type everyone actually uses in erlang and elixir is called a binary and it's a contiguous segment of bytes or a pointer to one (for large binaries or ones that are shared with another process)

default string being linked lists is a scourge of functional langs. same in haskell.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lomarf

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
do the major functional languages do things like cdr-coding by default and just present the list abstraction, or do they use literal singly linked lists?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
what does your heart tell you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my heart tells me they're languages made by academics high on their own farts

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
people bitch about academics, but the thing is there's no funding to work on designing libraries.

like, the biggest problem in PL research is how to design the standard library's string types, but this is unacknowledged and totally unfunded, and so of course nobody works on it.

it's not like the people behind Haskell's Prelude String type are proud of it, they're like "gently caress you, pay me"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
it kind of sounds like how null came about.

like they've already implemented lists, and haven't done any string ops, and are like "hey maybe i can stick type String = List[Char]" in there until I've done it properly why not

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

lmao if your most fundamental datatype wasn't designed immediately after reading the first 10 pages of the Okasaki data structures book

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dijkstracula posted:

lmao if your most fundamental datatype wasn't designed immediately after reading the first 10 pages of the Okasaki data structures book

i have this on my shelf. never done more than skim it ofc

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

gonadic io posted:

same and also same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

I read most of it at some point, and IIRC the various heaps in it were pretty cool (esp. because I had only seen the CS 101 heap before).