Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I watched the DF retro video on Metroid Prime and now I'm seriously fiending for the drat game, I think I only played through the first two once each on their original release and I never finished 3 iirc so I'm well overdue revisiting them.

If the rumours about Nintendo sitting on a completed port of Metroid Prime trilogy are true, the delay to 4 makes me extra frustrated because you could imagine they'll time the release of the trilogy to generate maximum hype for 4

Of course this is all just baseless speculation, I just wanna play those games again and I live a continent away from all the classic hardware I would be able to do that on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Oldskool FPS farts will probably enjoy Wrath, which runs on the Quake 1 engine and is done by veteran modders. Coming this Summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrLN9Wl4xU

This just makes me long for a collection of id games up to Doom 3 on the Switch

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

This just makes me long for a collection of id games up to Doom 3 on the Switch

Have you seen the homebew videos of Doom 3 running on Switch? Pretty cool!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Give me the goddamn Doom RPGs, id. I know you know Im the insane guy who leaves bloody pentagrams with button phones in the center in your parking lot, dont act like you dont know!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

psylent posted:

Oldskool FPS farts snort derisively at the thought of playing an oldskool fps with anything other than a mouse and keyboard.

The main reason that twitchy Quake-style shooters normally aren't playable on a console is that there's no way to aim quickly and accurately, and that problem has been solved with gyro aiming.

Give me a Switch release of Doom/Doom II with a curated list of WADs, Quake II, and Devil Daggers. gently caress it, throw Daikatana on there. Dusk is supposedly coming out at some point, too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For the record, Doom and Doom 2 sans engine modding would gain absolutely nothing from Gyro aiming. The others, yes

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ultimate Chicken Horse is a great party game for $10.

Can’t recommend it enough. I got my money worth in the first game against my girlfriend. She decided to place easy to grab coins so my strategy became “gently caress her up with traps.”

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Did DOOM even support mouse movement? I remember using the arrows, possibly WASD + Arrow I know I used that for a few FPS back in the DOS days.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Barudak posted:

For the record, Doom and Doom 2 sans engine modding would gain absolutely nothing from Gyro aiming. The others, yes

How so? Even with vertical autoaiming, gyro is still closer to a mouse than a joystick is.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Unreal Tournament 2003

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mdemone posted:

Unreal Tournament 2004

:colbert:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Sudden Javelin posted:

The thread here had some very strong goon levels though and I imagine that'll happen again

drat, this sentence out of context has potential for a good joke but I'm coming up empty!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 1 allowed mouse aiming left and right with a mouse and fire with a click, but was intended for using the keyboard exclusively.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How so? Even with vertical autoaiming, gyro is still closer to a mouse than a joystick is.

See above, but Doom 1 and 2 were built for pure keyboard aiming. Gyro is useful* for fine tuning aiming on a 2d plane, Doom doesnt do that since its effectively a twin stick shooter controlled from first person so having fine tuning adds nothing.

*This is my note to say it has never done this for me

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mdemone posted:

Marathon Trilogy

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

drat, this sentence out of context has potential for a good joke but I'm coming up empty!

It's a thread title candidate

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Please everyone buy Dragon's Dogma. Thanks in advance.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Fun Times! posted:

It's a thread title candidate

drat this horny thread

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

pixaal posted:

Did DOOM even support mouse movement? I remember using the arrows, possibly WASD + Arrow I know I used that for a few FPS back in the DOS days.

WASD controls weren't standardized yet or anything, but everyone I knew that owned a mouse used it. I used something like forward on middle mouse, back on space, X and C for strafing.

The original maps are designed to be playable keyboard only, but you'll still get demolished in multiplayer by anyone using a mouse. Both Joy-cons have motion control capability, so split screen Doom would be perfect on Switch.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 8, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Marathon Trilogy

HELL loving YES

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beastie posted:

Ultimate Chicken Horse is a great party game for $10.

Can’t recommend it enough. I got my money worth in the first game against my girlfriend. She decided to place easy to grab coins so my strategy became “gently caress her up with traps.”

UCH is what Mario Maker should have been.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I remember my dad playing Doom1 by picking up the mouse and dragging it towards him to move forward. You could play mostly mouse only. I think you might have needed to use the keyboard to switch weapons.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Is there a recommended portable USB power bank for the switch? I’m not sure if I trust the one in the OP just because it’s licensed by Nintendo, if it’s truly the best option I’ll go for it but at that price point I doubt it’s the best.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

J-Spot posted:

The first game has a bookmark site which should hopefully carry over. I enjoyed just running the 100 Mario challenge but do want to follow the thread here and possibly other communities if you consistently want levels that have some effort put into them.

When Mario Maker 2 comes out, please play my DKCR Rocket Barrel inspired stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WjHHkY2yFo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Macaluso posted:

When Mario Maker 2 comes out, please play my DKCR Rocket Barrel inspired stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WjHHkY2yFo

Extremely disappointed the masher didn't get Mario at the end.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Doom was definitely built for mouse early on. I'm not sure if it had mouselook support in version 1.0 or whatever but by a few patches in at least, it definitely had full mouse support. I had right-click bound to move forward and used < and > to strafe. I'm pretty sure I never ran backwards, I just dragged the mouse backwards if I needed to step out of range of something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volte posted:

Doom was definitely built for mouse early on. I'm not sure if it had mouselook support in version 1.0 or whatever but by a few patches in at least, it definitely had full mouse support. I had right-click bound to move forward and used < and > to strafe. I'm pretty sure I never ran backwards, I just dragged the mouse backwards if I needed to step out of range of something.

Doom 1 and 2 do not natively have mouselook/freelook. New sourceports by modders support it, but the original game did not use it. It took years after Doom for that to become a thing because Quake 1, even, did not have its faux mouselook on by default despite having the feature and to enable real modern mouselook you have to bring up the games console and turn on the real function.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I just got this console, Wasteland 2 good or nah?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KillerQueen posted:

I just got this console, Wasteland 2 good or nah?

Not a great game, plays like dogshit on switch unless patches sorted that out

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
there are so many games out there that I want to try, but I just can't stop playing Stardew

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Have you seen the homebew videos of Doom 3 running on Switch? Pretty cool!

There's a 1080p60 version of Doom 3 BFG Edition you can buy for your ShieldTV, which uses similar hardware, so it wouldn't be hard for them to do. I have the 360 version and as one of those broken people who thinks Doom 3 is good-to-very-good I'd get it for the Switch, especially if it came with 1 and 2.

Quake 4 for the 360 actually came with a bonus disc that included Quake II, which supported 1080p despite launch model 360s not supporting 1080p. Get all them Quakes on the Switch too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Volte posted:

I installed the very first release of Doom from December 10, 1993 to check and it's the first thing the setup program asks you. Works just as you'd expect in game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Barudak posted:

Doom 1 and 2 do not natively have mouselook/freelook. New sourceports by modders support it, but the original game did not use it. It took years after Doom for that to become a thing because Quake 1, even, did not have its faux mouselook on by default despite having the feature and to enable real modern mouselook you have to bring up the games console and turn on the real function.
My source is that I played Doom with a mouse in 1996. What's yours?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

LMAO False.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I installed the very first release of Doom from December 10, 1993 to check and it's the first thing the setup program asks you. Works just as you'd expect in game.

Yeah "mousin' was rare and pointless in Doom" is not how it was at all back then.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I remember that the in-game mouse sensitivity slider wasn't nearly wide enough and you had to manually modify the cfg file to get it to a reasonable sensitivity, and if you put it too high, the game would crash when you open the options menu because the little slider button would try to render off screen.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I played Wolfenstein 3D on my 486DX-33 with a mouse and keyboard.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TheScott2K posted:

I played Wolfenstein 3D on my 486DX-33 with a mouse and keyboard.
Same, and I'm pretty sure it's because the auto-playing demo was clearly played with a mouse and it looked so much cooler than the slow rotation of the keyboard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volte posted:

My source is that I played Doom with a mouse in 1996. What's yours?

I feel like were talking different things because doom doesnt have Y axis aiming. The mouse absolutely works for everyrhing else

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Barudak posted:

I feel like were talking different things because doom doesnt have Y axis aiming. The mouse absolutely works for everyrhing else
Who mentioned Y axis aiming?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I think those of us who lived through early 90s PC gaming don't draw the same distinction between Doom-style mouselook and Quake-style mouselook that he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Volte posted:

Who mentioned Y axis aiming?

Me? I thought thats what this discussion started over.