Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Taear posted:

The game is a hash of stuff like that though, tonnes of bits that just aren't quite planned properly.

Like in the dev stream, the guy losing his troops to a storm and just not even caring that the game didn't SAY that it was happening.

True to life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Playing Eleanor is great!

Being stuck next to Dido who I can't flip their cities is a drag!

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Im reading the civ 6 meta, i dont understand, why are industrial zones considered bad when production is king?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I guess the gears in gears out rate is bad?
It's probably that it's the district you want the least of. A city with a ton of mines getting lots out of it and using the factory to help other cities are cool. But the nature of the one factory bonus per city makes having more zones worse.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Im reading the civ 6 meta, i dont understand, why are industrial zones considered bad when production is king?

You're investing production to get production, and the rate of return is very long. Personally I build them spread out so I have the minimum possible for factory coverage, but I know even that probably isn't worth it in the long run.

It may eventually pay off, but the problem is that due to the nature of Civ there are tons of things you can invest in that give a bigger, faster return, like units to take cities.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Were industrial zones better in vanilla or anything? I remember people saying production was king and that the most important zones were industrial but maybe that's not true

What do you guys think ARE the most important zones?

I tend to only build like one encampment or two on most games, usually try to build a harbor/commercial and a campus, basically never build holy sites, and only occasionally build theatre squares if I'm doing culture victory although I'm coming around to the idea that culture is basically just as or more important than science since you get most of its benefits immediately.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Not easy to get high adjacency unless you're Germany.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Were industrial zones better in vanilla or anything? I remember people saying production was king and that the most important zones were industrial but maybe that's not true

I tend to only build like one encampment or two on most games, usually try to build a harbor/commercial and a campus, basically never build holy sites, and only occasionally build theatre squares if I'm doing culture victory although I'm coming around to the idea that culture is basically just as or more important than science since you get most of its benefits immediately.

Science/culture then harbor/commercial and honorable mention for holy.

And Government plaza is incredibly important.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

In launch vanilla, before the first patch, cities would get the effect of all industrial zones within 6 tiles. So they were awesome for 3 months.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Germany's Hanzas are still worth. But I mean, if that's the standard needed....

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

You're investing production to get production, and the rate of return is very long. Personally I build them spread out so I have the minimum possible for factory coverage, but I know even that probably isn't worth it in the long run.

It may eventually pay off, but the problem is that due to the nature of Civ there are tons of things you can invest in that give a bigger, faster return, like units to take cities.

It seems exacerbated by the fact that industrial zones get introduced pretty late compared to other districts so you get less benefit in the long-run as well as scaling costs. And later on if you get a golden age you can take the dedication that gives production from campus adjacency.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

It seems exacerbated by the fact that industrial zones get introduced pretty late compared to other districts so you get less benefit in the long-run as well as scaling costs. And later on if you get a golden age you can take the dedication that gives production from campus adjacency.

The late introduction is definitely a problem as well; Civ VI follows a pretty strict progression system where all buildings at a given point in the tech/civic tree cost the same in terms of cogs, so the Industrial Zone being introduced late means the Workshop has a higher base cost than other first-tier buildings, and the Workshop is pretty bad. But you have to build it to get to the Factory and Power Plant.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So do yall not bother with industrial zones in most of your cities? Here i thought I was doing the standard thing by building one absolutely everywhere.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Eschatos posted:

So do yall not bother with industrial zones in most of your cities? Here i thought I was doing the standard thing by building one absolutely everywhere.

Unless you're Germany, no. You can invest the hammers in almost anything else and it'll give a better return.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Personally I tend to try and plan ahead and just build a few, usually in my highest production cities anyway. Try and get Ruhr Valley out of one, and try to hit as many cities as possible with the factory and power plant bonuses.

I’ll also build some in cities with super low production, but usually I’ll try to just buy the zone through Reyna for these.

A passing thought, I think a cool Great Engineer would be one that would allow the 4th ring of tiles around a city to be buildable and workable.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I usually end up having an IZ in 1 out of 3-4 cities. I intentionally scout a place that is going to have at least a +4 adjacency yield from the beginning of the game, and that's where the first one goes. After that, I tend to only place them if I incidentally come across a good yield tile.

The workshop is just too worthless and too expensive to build to get an IZ up and running. An IZ without a good adjacency yield won't produce an acceptable amount of hammers until you build both the workshop and a factory. If I don't get a good adjacency bonus, then it will take too long to recoup the hammer cost.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 8, 2019

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Borsche69 posted:

Here's a good thread on Civ6 balance, and hypothetical balance changes if anyone has the time: https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=9284

The district costs are pretty bad not only because of how ridiculously they punish the player just for researching techs and playing the game, but also generally how little they provide the player with benefit. Trade Routes and Science/Culture (these are basically the same resource imo, just different names) are the most powerful here, but the actual district bonuses are so paltry.

Fully upgraded Industrial Zones (let's say its gets like +3-4 from adjacency bonuses so the coal plant gives about the same as oil/nuke/pre-GS PP) will get like +12-13 from the district. But the cost of that district is:

Base cost of the zone: 54 (it will never actually cost this)
Workshop: 195 (this was actually raised in last months patch)
Factory: 390

Power Plant: 580 i(n pre GS)
Coal Plant: 300
Oil Plant: 450
Nuclear Plant: 600

So in pre-GS it would cost 1219 production minimum for +12-13 production/turn, 939 for a coal plant, 1089 for an oil plant, and 1239 for a nuclear plant. When you get a +100% production bonus, which gets applied to chops, why would you ever invest in an IZ if you aren't Germany? I think Firaxis wanted you to stack IZs to get the shared bonus between all cities in 6 tiles, but they keep nerfing the poo poo out of it with every update. In GS, you can get +6 production shared between each city if you have a Factory + Oil Plant, or +7 production shared if you have a Factory + Nuclear Plant, but thats ONLY if the other cities don't have their own power plant! In pre GS you could at least share +7 production between cities, but that's such a small return for such a monumental investment, not to mention how expensive everything is in the late game and how cheap it is to upgrade units.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Plus its really easy to make production out of thin air with the correct government cards, chops, trade routes, city states, upgrading cheap early units into expensive late game units with gold, etc.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Factories also need to be powered now.
Though if you have a good adjacency bonus you can double it with a coal plant

Seems like faith. Very powerful when the stars align.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I feel like they greatly over estimated how useful coal/oil/nuke plants are.
Everyone hates the maintenance project. I'd never use oil on a building. That poo poo is too rare and I need it for my units.

Why the hell is oil so rare

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Factories also need to be powered now.
Though if you have a good adjacency bonus you can double it with a coal plant

Seems like faith. Very powerful when the stars align.

If I was to buff them I would definitely start with the workshop, at least. It's +2 hammers/turn for a nearly 200 hammer investment. It takes 100 turns to pay that off!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah. Maybe like a 15% bonus to wonder and building construction? To solidify the focus on infrastructure and distinguish it from the encampment in what it is meant to help.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Borsche69 posted:

If I was to buff them I would definitely start with the workshop, at least. It's +2 hammers/turn for a nearly 200 hammer investment. It takes 100 turns to pay that off!

I always build it because hell, nothing else to build.
All my cities will have a Campus, an ID and a Commercial district then random other stuff depending on where it is, like a harbour by the sea and etc.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Industrial Zones pay off in other ways. For starters once you start building neighborhoods and run out of useable tiles you need to get that production from somewhere. But, to me, more importantly, Great Engineers are pretty fantastic for pushing through certain end-game projects like a science victory or rushing a wonder.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Everyone hates the maintenance project. I'd never use oil on a building. That poo poo is too rare and I need it for my units.

Because, as i'm increasingly coming to realize after sinking more and more hours into the game and learning its finer points, is that the game is in fact bad. Bad overly-complicated and poorly communicated mechanics that also happen to be extremely poorly balanced.

In classic civ all civs were the same, just slight tweeks to AI personalities. The more the series has decided every country/leader needs a big D&D style list of zany unique abilities and special mechanics the harder and harder its been to balance the game and make sure the core gameplay is good. Instead of tightening up the game and its interface, they just keep tacking more and more goofy new mechanics on.

Civ forgot one of its own very true tech quotes, "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." But you can make more money DLC adding unbalanced gimmicky special civ powers and poorly integrated new mechanics, so that's what they do.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

To force you to go war to get more of it

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Industrial zones are a lot more worth it if you have a few industrial city states in the game. Each city state with 3 envoys adds +2 production to each workshop, dramatically increasing its cost-effectiveness.

They also provide great people points which can be really powerful. Since you're competing with the other civs, it's variable just how useful an individual great person point is (if germany's in the game, they'll probably swamp you in terms of GPP) but if you manage to get a few key great people, the benefits are huge. Imagine it helps you snag every great engineer that provides wonder production: you can get a few thousand bonus production towards wonders on top of the production that the IZ buildings provide. Since so much of this depends on city states and other civs, there's a lot of variability in how useful IZs are but it's still worth considering these other benefits.

I think it would be nice if they dropped IZs back a bit in the tech tree so that you could feasibly make it your first district. There really needs to be a way to shore up production in some cities. Sometimes you just get screwed by land and have to settle a city with no/few hills - it would be nice to just plop down a IZ early to get it reasonably productive. It might need to have a higher base production bonus for that to be worth it though.

Speaking of lovely production, I've wondered for a while what the game impact would be of simply setting city centers to being 2 food 2 production by default. It would slightly improve production woes and prevent plains hills from being literally better than every other tile.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Industrial zones are a lot more worth it if you have a few industrial city states in the game. Each city state with 3 envoys adds +2 production to each workshop, dramatically increasing its cost-effectiveness.

Industrial city-states only give a bonus to buildings/wonders/districts though, not units, not even civilian units or projects. They're kinda bottom-tier in envoy priority for me, aside from Religious city-states when I'm not going for religion.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

They also provide great people points which can be really powerful. Since you're competing with the other civs, it's variable just how useful an individual great person point is (if germany's in the game, they'll probably swamp you in terms of GPP) but if you manage to get a few key great people, the benefits are huge. Imagine it helps you snag every great engineer that provides wonder production: you can get a few thousand bonus production towards wonders on top of the production that the IZ buildings provide. Since so much of this depends on city states and other civs, there's a lot of variability in how useful IZs are but it's still worth considering these other benefits.

Move them to Pottery and call them "Craft Districts". It is quite a long way away really otherwise.

Magil Zeal posted:

Industrial city-states only give a bonus to buildings/wonders/districts though, not units, not even civilian units or projects. They're kinda bottom-tier in envoy priority for me, aside from Religious city-states when I'm not going for religion.

That seems fine? Most of what you build is buildings and wonders, I guess not districts.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

That seems fine? Most of what you build is buildings and wonders, I guess not districts.

Personally I build enough builders, settlers, and other units to not really consider a bonus to only buildings/districts/wonders to cover many of my bases. It's not bad per se, but if I had to compare it to gold/culture/research it falls short.

Civilization is all about opportunity costs. It's not that the production offered by these things is bad, but there's generally better uses for your investments. If you don't have other city-state options I could see it, but I don't think that's true in general.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

Because, as i'm increasingly coming to realize after sinking more and more hours into the game and learning its finer points, is that the game is in fact bad. Bad overly-complicated and poorly communicated mechanics that also happen to be extremely poorly balanced.

In classic civ all civs were the same, just slight tweeks to AI personalities. The more the series has decided every country/leader needs a big D&D style list of zany unique abilities and special mechanics the harder and harder its been to balance the game and make sure the core gameplay is good. Instead of tightening up the game and its interface, they just keep tacking more and more goofy new mechanics on.

Civ forgot one of its own very true tech quotes, "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." But you can make more money DLC adding unbalanced gimmicky special civ powers and poorly integrated new mechanics, so that's what they do.

Fall From Heaven 2 was the best Civ 4 mod and had drastically different factions. It's not like the Horatio and Unfallen play the same in ES2, why are you complaining about faction differences in Civ now? And aren't you one of the posters that don't like how samey Stellaris races are?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Making each civ more unique, with unique abbilities and units and stuff, was probably the best innovation civ had in 5, it makes replaying a lot more fun

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Torrannor posted:

Fall From Heaven 2 was the best Civ 4 mod and had drastically different factions. It's not like the Horatio and Unfallen play the same in ES2, why are you complaining about faction differences in Civ now? And aren't you one of the posters that don't like how samey Stellaris races are?

Asymetrical gameplay is fine and good, but it's hard to do and requires actual talent and effort and vision. ES2 did it well, Fall from Heaven did it well, lots do it well because they care and have talented people involved. Civ doesn't, because they're going fully quantity over quality to pump out DLC. Instead of having maybe 5-6 asymmetrical options that are all finely balanced and interesting and polished and were developed together at the same time around the game's core mechanics, Firaxis just keeps piling poo poo on before they've balanced or polished any of the existing content, let alone the new. It's like they try to obfuscate how bad their mechanics and balance is by making everything pointlessly complicated with terrible player feedback.

And that's also my problem with Stellaris races. They manage to be samey and characterless, then just have some mostly unsatisfying gimmicky extra mechanics bolted on that half the time are bugged out or not working in what ever the current version is. They got a real "worst of both worlds" going on on between the anything-goes-gently caress-balance point buy system of something like Moo2 vs the lovingly crafted races of Endless Space 2.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Asymetrical gameplay is fine and good, but it's hard to do and requires actual talent and effort and vision. ES2 did it well, Fall from Heaven did it well, lots do it well because they care and have talented people involved. Civ doesn't, because they're going fully quantity over quality to pump out DLC. Instead of having maybe 5-6 asymmetrical options that are all finely balanced and interesting and polished and were developed together at the same time around the game's core mechanics, Firaxis just keeps piling poo poo on before they've balanced or polished any of the existing content, let alone the new. It's like they try to obfuscate how bad their mechanics and balance is by making everything pointlessly complicated with terrible player feedback.

And that's also my problem with Stellaris races. They manage to be samey and characterless, then just have some mostly unsatisfying gimmicky extra mechanics bolted on that half the time are bugged out or not working in what ever the current version is. They got a real "worst of both worlds" going on on between the anything-goes-gently caress-balance point buy system of something like Moo2 vs the lovingly crafted races of Endless Space 2.

Its especially blatant when basically all the expansions civs are built around whatever the core gimmick of the expansion is - its like they had to specifically come up with some new gimmicks just to be able to add more civs.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

Its especially blatant when basically all the expansions civs are built around whatever the core gimmick of the expansion is - its like they had to specifically come up with some new gimmicks just to be able to add more civs.

Is that even actually the case for Gathering Storm though? There's one Civ that is geared towards earning diplomatic favor (Canada) one Civ that adds new World Congress stuff (Sweden)... and that's pretty much it. I guess if you count England as a "new" Civ because of Eleanor there's also one Civ that interacts with the power system. But the nine new leaders and their Civs by and large don't really focus much on Gathering Storm's gimmicks, and when they do it's only one part of their concept, like say Suleiman's Grand Bazaar giving extra strategic resources.

I'd argue that Loyalty pops up more often in Gathering Storm's Civs than any specific Gathering Storm feature/gimmick.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

If civs become homogeneous then I'll check out.
They need to make start bias better. And better balance the asymmetrical victory types. Playing to the civs strength is what's fun for me

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

There are hundreds of combinations of unique powers that could comprise civs that are not broken. The problem is that the developers have no nuance when creating civs, and the base mechanics are not well fleshed out.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

If civs become homogeneous then I'll check out.
They need to make start bias better. And better balance the asymmetrical victory types. Playing to the civs strength is what's fun for me
:same: & :agreed:

There is a mod called better balanced starts, but I'm not sure if it's been updated for GS yet.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Also FFH2 was fun and I love it but the Civs were completely and utterly unbalanced, on one hand you had Civs that were more like lightly-altered vanilla Civs and others which could pop 48 units out of thin air on a whim

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

my problem with civ design that's been getting worse as this game has gotten more content is civ/leader bonuses that are like, half a dozen different small bonuses that are both hard to remember and not particularly interesting to engage with