Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Touchscreens are the work of satan.

I mean I know they're intuitive and help lots of people use technology but as a mouse and keyboard user I absolutely loathe using them. If they had never been invented we could have had miniaturized mechanical interfaces instead.

Basically technology peaked with the blackberry and has been all downhill from then.

I have a BlackBerry Priv - physical keyboard and a touch screen, switch between the two by sliding

yes it's even a slidephone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Presumably you think periods are pissing??!!

I just have vauge memories from when I was a kid of lots of blue liquids being poured on pads, countless iterations of the same thing happening over and over again, pads withing pads, graduated cylinders within graduated cylinders, forever sprialling inwards yet echoing out from the accursed picture box.

I can't recall the specifics of whether they were for incontinence or menstruation.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The best user interface is having people to do that sort of thing for you :wotwot:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I can't recall the specifics of whether they were for incontinence or menstruation.
Sounds more like titration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Scouring my early memories I actually think I might have gotten them crosswired with the kitchen roll adverts that also sold you things for absorbing the large amount of blue liquid that litters the floor of homes everywhere.

Was there some kind of blue goop alien invasion at some point that was covered up and that's why so many products exist to erase blue liquid from existence?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I just have vauge memories from when I was a kid of lots of blue liquids being poured on pads, countless iterations of the same thing happening over and over again, pads withing pads, graduated cylinders within graduated cylinders, forever sprialling inwards yet echoing out from the accursed picture box.

Yeah, true, it's not like nappy ads don't use the Mysterious Blue Liquid™ as well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ilhan Omar owns

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1103993079604891654

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably you also thought girls pissed blue liquid then.

I feel that's a Smurf joke

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Girls do piss blue liquid out of their buttholes, but only after WKD was invented.

oh my god :ohdear:

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 8, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1104045041255923712

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
ITV Weatherman more clued up about effectiveness of prison than talking heads debating it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps you could put all of society inside a prison, then there could be no crime.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

All of society is already in a prison, except for the vanishing few who own the bars.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

All of society is already in a prison, except for the vanishing few who own the bars.

Tim Martin?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

OwlFancier posted:

The US military priapism shrivvelling and collapsing inwards into a military chode is definitely a good thing.
Closing UK bases just moves the war boner a couple hundred km closer to the things it wants to bomb though.

It isn't like the US wouldn't just ship everything from Lakenheath to Rammstein, Aviano, or some post-Soviet EU state that would love a buffer against little green men.

If anything you should move all the bases to Northwest Scotland which is both father away and even more miserable.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jose posted:

And another government in Europe collapses before our shambles

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1104021509729861632?s=19

It' was a real piece of poo poo one too. Good riddance.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I had to google that but I smirked slightly, which is about the best I get about topical references at the moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

"There are two dramatis personae in securitized society: inmates and guards. And you are called to play both roles at once."

:golfclap:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

Girls do piss blue liquid out of their buttholes, but only after WKD was invented.

:lol:

Also, it's a scientific fact that girls do not poo.

Judging from the comments over the last couple of pages, I mean, I considered what I was taught for sex-ed very inadequate (late 90s/early 2000s), and certainly didn't cover anything outside of the physical act of reproductive heteronormative sex, and changes during puberty...but some of you sound like you were taught by a drunk forest mystic on half-remembered Aristotelian biology.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I genuinely can't remember much of my PSE teaching (which was what they called it for us) but the only thing I remember clearly is a worksheet with some images of various contraceptive methods on them and brief descriptions of how they were used. I think it was sort of assumed that we all knew what bit went where.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I remember as a 10 year old understanding from tampax adverts in Jackie magazine etc that only SOME girls got periods and that those that did had them non-stop all the time and could never swim or rollerskate. I remember hoping and praying I wouldn't be one of those girls.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

feedmegin posted:

I mean...why is that bad even? If I'm homeless in nowheresville and I've heard Seattle or Oxford actually has some beds, why wouldn't I move there if I can? That's not bad, it's sensible. It's just also an argument for funding hostels in nowheresville not shutting them down in Oxford, is all.

'People should be prepared to move to find work/housing'
*Homeless people & immigrants do just that*
'Wait no I meant to places I don't have to look at them'

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I struggle to distinguish what I learnt from the Internet, what I was taught in school and what was in this book about puberty my mum gave me around 10/11. The Internet has definetly been the most informative of the three thought.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

thespaceinvader posted:

I genuinely can't remember much of my PSE teaching (which was what they called it for us) but the only thing I remember clearly is a worksheet with some images of various contraceptive methods on them and brief descriptions of how they were used. I think it was sort of assumed that we all knew what bit went where.

I remember being shown an ancient video tape with a family of nudists playing volleyball - this thing was loving ancient; pubic afros everywhere - and some very unclear animations of loving. Topped off with that clinical creepy disembodied voice that Serafinowicz would later parody in Look Around You.

Actually, now I think of it, contraception was covered pretty well; the teacher bought in a hollow plastic cock, (with us tittering obviously) demonstrated proper condom usage and such, and talking about the twenty billion forms of female contraception, and the general effectivess (or lack thereof).

The problem was the lack of discussion of anything other than repoductive sex - and even that was mostly the entirely mechanical actions of it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I went to a boys school in the eighties and sex education was two one-hour lessons, the first of which was taken by the infamously despotic Deputy Head presumably because everyone else insisted on being armed before teaching a bunch of rowdy at best 13-year-old boys and was pretty much "Always use a condom, STDs and pregnancy can happen from up to a mile away". I'll never forget the way he did the condom demonstration on a bit of wood that looked suspiciously like a truncheon while somehow managing to maintain eye contact with every single boy in the class, daring them to so much as giggle.

The second lesson was taken by the young, impossibly attractive[1] Australian supply teacher who started the lesson by drawing all the appropriate parts on the blackboard in startling detail, and within 20 minutes was talking about it was fine to go vaginal-to-anal but you shouldn't go in the other direction. I think several boys died during the lesson, possibly including me.

[1] I mean to be honest, in that febrile atmosphere, any woman with less than three noses rated a 9, but she looked exactly like Bronwyn from Neighbours. Apparently she went on to teach at an all-girls school, possibly at the insistence of Thames Water who couldn't cope with the demand for cold showers from that corner of Stepney.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

The problem was the lack of discussion of anything other than repoductive sex - and even that was mostly the entirely mechanical actions of it.

These days I'd far rather see kids get a very firm afternoon of teaching about consent than any amount of teaching about the physical acts of loving, because that's the thing they're not going to get anywhere else that they will desperately, desperately need.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We did cover consent and the social side, but it was all done through the after-school special lens of predatory boys and virginal girls in environments that nobody should be having sex in.

Drugs education was far better, but only because our form tutor happened to be the head of chemistry and deviated heavily from the "they're all bad and will kill you" framework. There were structural drawings.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The Internet has definetly been the most informative of the three thought.
There are some sex acts you need to be married to do. There's a wedding ring and everything.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I struggle to distinguish what I learnt from the Internet, what I was taught in school and what was in this book about puberty my mum gave me around 10/11. The Internet has definetly been the most informative of the three thought.

Absolutely. The only thing I definitely remember from PSE was a tape that taught us that there was exactly one way to masturbate.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I honestly don't think I got any sex-ed. I don't remember anything.

I went to a catholic school in the mid 90s - but it was a large comprehensive Scottish catholic school, so it should still have covered it I think...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Absolutely. The only thing I definitely remember from PSE was a tape that taught us that there was exactly one way to masturbate.

You only need to use two fingers?

We got absolutely zero sex ed classes at my school. Luckily I can do my own research.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1104042362072903688

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

You only need to use two fingers?

We got absolutely zero sex ed classes at my school. Luckily I can do my own research.

Growing up in Ireland in the 80s/90s, I'm glad I didn't get any "sex education", i.e. the one anti-abortion video full of gore and lies that everyone my age and slightly older seemed to be forced to watch. Other than that, we just had the filthy German channel that occasionally unscrambled long enough to figure out what was going on

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

All I remember from sex ed (at a boys' school) is that you should you should only shove soft objects like fruit & veg up your arse, in case it gets stuck

Idk why it's somehow preferable to go to hospital with a carrot up there, but I threw out all my flared-based dildos just to be safe

E: alternative joke: up til then I'd been eating them, like some kind of sick freak :aaa:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Borrovan posted:

All I remember from sex ed (at a boys' school) is that you should you should only shove soft objects like fruit & veg up your arse, in case it gets stuck

Idk why it's somehow preferable to go to hospital with a carrot up there, but I threw out all my flared-based dildos just to be safe

Dildos are like political parties, you need a broad supportive base to avoid disappearing up your own rear end.

e: feel like I could have workshopped that one a little more but there's something there

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 8, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Why the hell aren't people rioting and killing themselves in sheer panic by this juncture? Are people that delusional that "this will be fine"? Geez.

This whole situation is fascinating to me because this is exactly how climate change will be handled: people will just ignore it and someone else will take the opportunity to seize power and make the situation 1000x worse and ensuring we die screaming instead of in peace.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 8, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Other than that, we just had the filthy German channel that occasionally unscrambled long enough to figure out what was going on

"I don't know why I have to grow a bad mustache and sit under this glass table, but I'm pretty sure this is sex".

[e]: Use good ol' straight British 'nanas. Not those barmy bendy ones from Brussels.
VVV

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What are we going to do without European cucumber imports?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

In public. :pervert:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dildos are like political parties, you need a broad supportive base to avoid disappearing up your own rear end.
:master:

AceOfFlames posted:

Why the hell aren't people rioting and killing themselves in sheer panic by this juncture? Are people that delusional that "this will be fine"? Geez.
Because nothing's happened yet. People riot when the food runs out and the prices go up, not because the merchants have formed a cartel and plan to put prices up next week. Riots are reactive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Darth Walrus posted:

People will take to the streets once the material effects of no-deal Brexit start kicking in. It's hard to build riots from mere possibilities when the chance of getting your head bashed in by a police officer is more immediate. You need to genuinely believe you have little or nothing to lose from hurling yourself against a phalanx of armoured racists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

AceOfFlames posted:

Hot take: it'll probably be fine. Good idea to stock up on food & medicine just in case, but no need to crack each other's skulls open & feast on the gooey mush inside just yet.

E: I mean I say "fine", there will be job losses & welfare cuts, the poorest will be hit hardest & people will die, but probably not much more dystopian hellscape than normal

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 8, 2019