Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hauki posted:

lmao

street goes both ways, hon

also, people post while not drinking or on the shitter?

:thunk:

What do you mean "or" ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Fuuuuuck yeahhh guess who just got a job at a swank store, starting Thursday, being a sous and making way more than her previous $9/hr?! (disclaimer: yeah, LC, I'm drunk posting, but I think I've earned it. And getting my kicks in before I gotta work two days from now. But probate me if you got to.)

Thanks again to all the GWS folks who helped get my car fixed, I couldn't have done this without you. I seriously close my eyes and thank y'all every time I fire the ol' girl up, and today especially. loving omg, y'all gotta see this kitchen I'ma be working in, I came multiple times just over the 8 basket fryer alone :psyduck:

Grats from a lurker. You are gonna kick rear end.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mu Zeta posted:

Cat Cora now claims she just wanted to start a conversation about what hospitality means.

i personally think it means not having to deal with rear end in a top hat customers

but that might be why i left the industry

now i just deal with rear end in a top hat clients :(

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Grats JD!

Also I just worked 26 of the last 48 hours in shoes that aren't quite broken in yet, I am become death

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, yeah, I ain't going to breathalyzer you before posting, just be coherent.

I mean, I'm sitting here with beer and hot wings.

I'm pretty sure if you look at my old posts, none of them are coherent, because I was always drunk when I wasn't at work.

So thanks for like, not banning me, or something?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
First of all, I don't need to be drunk to be incoherent.

Secondly, congrats JD, I'm really glad you found something, $9 was poo poo. I earn a little more than that and it's still poo poo, best of luck.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of I really need to go look for a job.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! I'm so pumped to be in this new kitchen tomorrow, it's absolutely loving huuuuuge and so well-appointed. Also it'll be nice to not have to schlep to a walk-in that's located outside and half a football field away, because holy gently caress is it cold out today.

So a derail about chain restaurants happened over in GBS's r/relationships thread, wherein I learned that Applebee's have tablets at the table that you order from...? Is that really a thing? I haven't eaten at a chain store in forever. Ugh, I hate using the self-checkout at Kroger, I can only imagine that x 1000 in trying to order food. Also, who's gonna fuckin' tip a tablet? I hope they're paying their runners full wage. :(

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! I'm so pumped to be in this new kitchen tomorrow, it's absolutely loving huuuuuge and so well-appointed. Also it'll be nice to not have to schlep to a walk-in that's located outside and half a football field away, because holy gently caress is it cold out today.

So a derail about chain restaurants happened over in GBS's r/relationships thread, wherein I learned that Applebee's have tablets at the table that you order from...? Is that really a thing? I haven't eaten at a chain store in forever. Ugh, I hate using the self-checkout at Kroger, I can only imagine that x 1000 in trying to order food. Also, who's gonna fuckin' tip a tablet? I hope they're paying their runners full wage. :(

I don't know anything about applebees or other chains (I rarely go to them either), but tablets are really popular around here with AYCE sushi places, both smaller chains and some independently owned spots. For some styles of service it definitely works alright, and some of the AYCE apps are pretty intuitive and feel good to use. There's also a place that has a bunch of these tables that you can order through, though they still have servers if you don't want to and even when you do, the server will generally come over within the next minute or two to confirm your order so it's not just you ordering through the machine and food appearing.

Also congrats on the job, super stoked to hear about it! If you can, get us some pictures of your pretty new kitchen.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I know the Red Robin near me has them. I imagine they work like ordering online for most places, which I'm sure the restaurant likes because not only does it lower mistaken orders it often presents the add-ons front and center. Customers are more likely to get extra stuff on their burgers if it's just a check box they click.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

JD, congrats!!! I'm so happy for you, you definitely deserve the best

I'm not industry, but re: tablet chat--I have seen them popping up in South Korea within the last 1~2 years, but you still order with the waiter/ess. I guess it makes it easier to update the menu? But they always just show the menu and you flip through it, then call a waiter/ess over to order and give the tablet back.

Self order machines at small shops like for ramen or udon or ... mostly any type of noodle shop are very common, though, but people don't really adjust orders here either. It's kind of awkward and a pain to ask for changes, and at most you can ask for things to be removed--substitutions that aren't part of the item (like pick chicken or beef) are almost always a hard no.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

All you need to know about chains:

:v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

It's a thing at Red Robin here too. Got dragged there by the work peeps for lunch on this interminable training session.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
At something like an AYCE sushi joint or Americanized Chinese/Vietnamese joint, the tablets probably help replace all the unpaid labor those business models were previously based on. :(

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

At chains like Chili’s, Red Robin, Outback, etc., the tableside tablets are usually limited to order appetizers, alcohol, and desserts only - things that are unlikely to have many alterations or special requests. However, what I like most about them is the ability to pay your bill without waiting for a check. It’s especially nice when the servers are slammed, and they usually “default” the tip to something pretty generous and provide an easy way to change it.

They also often do a survey, which I’m sure these companies have weaponized against their employees.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Blue Moonlight posted:

They also often do a survey, which I’m sure these companies have weaponized against their employees.

I applied at an applebees once and asked about training and stuff. If a server doesn't get X% of guests filling out surveys you get a write-up (regardless of score). 3 write-ups and your gone.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Blue Moonlight posted:

The best part of cooking in a hotel by far was housekeeping mixing up bins and putting blankets with Actual poo poo on them into turned down rooms, or a concierge eyeballing their xanax and passing out in the lobby, so the guest who just paid several hundred a night for that privilege would go right down the entire medallia survey with 1's like that professor making dotted lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l789l6np-qA

And you could relax for the whole month if the F&B manager couldn't juke the stat with the GM, because you were NOT getting that motherfucker competitive until the 1st and that's just reality now and its not changing. Not until the 1st anyway.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

Corporate Life and Guest Surveys etc.

I worked at a place with a narcoleptic concierge, we'd always have to go check on him a few times a night to make sure he was still awake. We also had a group of 4 lifetime platinum "top 1% of spenders" who stayed three times a month and always gave 3's for every category on every survey they got.

Yep. Definitely miss those days.

Also, has anyone ever filed taxes only to find out that your employer falsified all of your paystubs and didn't actually pay the government the "withheld" taxes? Also when reaching out to said employer to ask "wtf" get told "L&I came by and pulled our temporary plumbing permit and cancelled our occupation license until we fix a few things. Also I'll be with some friends I'm Turks and Caicos for a few weeks bye"

Sextro fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 9, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
A *TON* of people got dinged by that this year because America's Moistest Boy doubled the standard deduction in the middle of the loving tax year and few payroll departments were on top of it because the IRS was basically forced to change the withholding schedule on the fly.

quote:

Trump signed his tax-cut law in December 2017; several weeks later the IRS issued new guidance to update people’s tax withholding from their paychecks. The withholding guidance reflects major provisions in the new tax law, such as the lower tax rates and larger standard deduction.

The Treasury Department has estimated that several million more taxpayers will be underwithheld this year due to the guidance, meaning that they will likely owe the IRS money when they file their taxes this year instead of receiving a refund. According to a Government Accountability Office report from last year, the Treasury Department estimated that 21 percent of wage earners will have a balance due for 2018, compared to 18 percent had the tax law not been enacted.

The IRS in January announced that it is waiving the underpayment penalty for some taxpayers. Normally, people wouldn’t owe a penalty if they made payments throughout the year of at least 90 percent of their tax liability; the IRS lowered that threshold this year to 85 percent.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Surveys are a great way to make sure managers are doing their job and a poo poo way to make sure employees are doing their job.

If you want your employees to push surveys, just offer a $25 amazon giftcard to whoever gets mentioned the most by name in a month/period/whatever.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Willie Tomg posted:

A *TON* of people got dinged by that this year because America's Moistest Boy doubled the standard deduction in the middle of the loving tax year and few payroll departments were on top of it because the IRS was basically forced to change the withholding schedule on the fly.

No payroll department here, just the owner and her partner running the books and hand writing paychecks/stubs. She didn't actually withhold any money or pay any taxes to the federal government for payroll.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Good news! You're on the hook for all of it!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Good news! You're on the hook for all of it!

Something similar happened to my friend who never checked pay stubs or bothered with taxes until giving it to his dad's accountant every year. The company listed him, a single 25 year old man, as having 8 dependents. April comes around suddenly he finds out, has to spend days arguing with the company accounting department, and ends up having to pay back several grand in taxes on a job only a few dollars above minimum wage.

The government doesn't care about who made a mistake, they demand their money and they will absolutely get it.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Willie Tomg posted:

And you could relax for the whole month if the F&B manager couldn't juke the stat with the GM, because you were NOT getting that motherfucker competitive until the 1st and that's just reality now and its not changing. Not until the 1st anyway.

To start last month, we only had one review for several days. It was a negative review, and it made our official score a -100/100

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Rocking .5 over compsetavg what what

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

For those of you following along at home, new job (as of 2 ten hour shifts) is going well! My chef is great, the kind of guy who, instead of just berating me for doing something wrong or not getting tix out fast enough, is happy to politely demonstrate how he'd like things done and show me tricks that help. He even helped dig me out of the weeds last night when we got a surprise 18-top an hour before close that absolutely pounded my station. Rest of the crew is similarly friendly and helpful.

Free shift meals (we don't get breaks per se, you just eat when you can), they provide chef's coats (in black :black101:), and it's the first gig I've had in 2 years that has a dedicated dishwasher so I can drop my stuff and keep moving. Evaluations after 90 days, so if I prove myself, I could be making even more 3 months from now.

I'm training on all stations, but for my first 2 days I've mostly been making fancy flatbread pizzas (mushroom truffle, roasted broccoli ricotta, that kinda thing) which I have never done in my life --- turns out I don't suck! Chef's been walking past my pass and saying things like "nice looking pizza, JD!" Though it's funny that I've traded "up" from standing in front of 350* biscuit oven to a 650* Blodgett big enough that I could cremate two bodies.

Weirdest thing: there's a shower in the staff bathroom. I need to ask about that.

We're smack in the epicenter of downtown, so St. Paddy's Day we're expecting to get crushed. No one gets the day off. Gonna be crazy during the day, as we're on the parade route, and even crazier at night since we have a massive bar. I think chef said they did $13,000 last year...? The plan is limited menu so we can keep up the pace, and instead of shift meals they're setting up a free buffet for all staff in one of the 7 jillion back rooms (seriously, this BOH is huge, I'm dying to get pix for y'all) so both BOH and FOH can snack on the fly.

Gah, sorry for the novel-length post, but I'm just so loving chuffed.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shower is maybe for a refresh for an all day shift. Or more likely, it's some sort of safety reg chemical shower I'd assume. If some mishap happens with degreaser or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You know the shower is revive coworkers who show up black out drunk.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've worked with 2 different business owners who when remodeling their space for they put in a shower in the staff bathroom. One was because he claimed living in the break room was his fallback plan if things didn't go well because it'd be harder/more expensive to break his lease on the retail space than his condo. The other said he was sick of his employees smelling awful at work.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gah, sorry for the novel-length post, but I'm just so loving chuffed.

i read your whole post and im real glad your new place seems so cool! ganbarre jd

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Last night we had a wine rep and maybe somebody she was training? sit at a 6-top in the bar area at 6:30 (on a Friday) when it was raining so the patio was closed, which is half our restaurant. The weird thing is, they wanted to taste 3 of their wines and meet our wine director and leave some behind for her, who was busy serving tables.

What the hell were they thinking? I explained if they wanted to taste their wine, it’d be a $20 corkage fee, even if they’re already opened. I told them if our wine director had a free moment, she would come introduce herself, but she’s busy what with a full section and all.

I’m still confused why they would think that’s acceptable.

Edit: oh, I forgot that they had a “get a $40 gift card for $20” deal, which is whatever, but didn’t leave a tip.

The Maestro fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 9, 2019

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Weirdest thing: there's a shower in the staff bathroom. I need to ask about that.

So if you ride a bike or jog to work you can rinse the sweat off you.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

The Maestro posted:

Last night we had a wine rep and maybe somebody she was training? sit at a 6-top in the bar area at 6:30 (on a Friday) when it was raining so the patio was closed, which is half our restaurant. The weird thing is, they wanted to taste 3 of their wines and meet our wine director and leave some behind for her, who was busy serving tables.

What the hell were they thinking? I explained if they wanted to taste their wine, it’d be a $20 corkage fee, even if they’re already opened. I told them if our wine director had a free moment, she would come introduce herself, but she’s busy what with a full section and all.

I’m still confused why they would think that’s acceptable.

Edit: oh, I forgot that they had a “get a $40 gift card for $20” deal, which is whatever, but didn’t leave a tip.

I really want to know who. It was Audrey wasn't it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

pile of brown posted:

loving Audrey, thinks she’s so great.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pile of brown posted:

Lol I honestly have no clue.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Skwirl posted:

You know the shower is revive coworkers who show up black out drunk.

Yes. Let’s not take showers cause we are all just drunk....

You seriously have an issue with anyone who enjoys a drink.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

A dog and his man posted:

The fact that you don't get it tells me that you're the rear end in a top hat that shows up 45 minutes late, shitfaced, smelling like sweaty armpit because you've been on a bender and haven't taken time to shower in a couple days.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

A dog and his man posted:

A hit dog will holler

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Coasterphreak posted:

The fact that you don't get it tells me that you're the rear end in a top hat that shows up 45 minutes late, shitfaced, smelling like sweaty armpit because you've been on a bender and haven't taken time to shower in a couple days.

Have you seen his post history in this thread? He's absolutely that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You forgot "and sexually harasses the 17 year old hostess"