Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

actionjackson posted:

my blender was $30

buying the cheapest possible thing is not anti-capitalistic, it is in fact largely by definition the highest form of participation in capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you actually use your blender a lot (and for certain things) there is definitely a difference between a $30 blender and a multi-hundred dollar one.

That doesn't mean there aren't bullshit overpriced hype ones, obviously

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My parents have a blender they got as a wedding gift back in 1990 that has nothing but a simple mechanical switch to select "low" and "high" settings and they use it all the time and it's never even needed maintenance let alone replacement.

That's my blender story thanks for listening.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I had a nutribullet and while small was pretty amazing.

I gave it away like a loving moron when I was moving.

#regretchat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

That idea of the 4.5 tatami mat room with a couple of futons on the floor (that get folded up and stored in a cupboard every morning) is a very quintissentially Japanese kind of ideal, even if probably increasingly few people actually adhere to it.

I'm sure there are plenty of young people who follow that ~Japanese ideal~ except by living in a single small room containing nothing but a computer with monitor that doubles as a TV, a videogame console, hot plate, and their collection of figurines

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also it's women's strike day and I completely forgot and went to work anyway :sigh:

I mean I'm not a lady but I'd like to, idk, show solidarity

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Good to see Jeb! got a new gig.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shame Boy posted:

My parents have a blender they got as a wedding gift back in 1990 that has nothing but a simple mechanical switch to select "low" and "high" settings and they use it all the time and it's never even needed maintenance let alone replacement.

That's my blender story thanks for listening.

same but their Zenith microwave

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of young people who follow that ~Japanese ideal~ except by living in a single small room containing nothing but a computer with monitor that doubles as a TV, a videogame console, hot plate, and their collection of figurines

living right near google hq it became a thing we'd watch for when neighbors left their blinds open

bed chair desk computer and that's it is extremely common here

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Broke: pretending your food brand is a person on Twitter.

Woke: pretending your food brand is a person in earnings reports when your earnings are 30% below projections:

"[b posted:

"We Just Love Our LaCroix" Consumers Chant"]“We are truly sorry for these results stated above. Negligence nor mismanagement nor woeful acts of God were not the reasons – much of this was the result of injustice! Managing a brand is not so different from caring for someone who becomes handicapped. Brands do not see or hear, so they are at the mercy of their owners or care providers who must preserve the dignity and special character that the brand exemplifies. It is important that LaCroix’s true character is not devalued intentionally − in any way. National Beverage Corp. is and will remain the preeminent innovator that adds zest and authenticity to the ‘sparkling water’ phenomenon in North America,” stated Nick A. Caporella, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.[/b]

“Additionally, gross margins were impacted by volume declines. Comparisons were further skewed by the adoption of the new tax act in the third quarter of the prior year, which included credits and rate reduction adjustments aggregating $11.3 million. Nothing herein mentioned has detracted from the ultimate value and future of our dynamic company.

There is no greater passion than the kind that creates the wonderful refreshment and contentment described as unique! No doubt, the sound and personality of the word LaCroix, coupled with the awesome experience of its essence and taste ...is unique. One can be induced to purchase by cheapening price or giving away a product, but falling in love with a feeling of joy is the result of contentment. Just ask any LaCroix consumer ... Would you trade away that LaLa feeling? ‘No way, they shout – We just love our LaCroix!’ I am positive they respond this way each and every time,” Caporella concluded.

Mr.Radar has issued a correction as of 16:50 on Mar 8, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Managing a brand is not so different from caring for someone who becomes handicapped.

:yikes:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Our best-known brand is actually a hopeless cripple that we have to spend all our effort just to keep alive, please invest in my company thank you

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

buying the cheapest possible thing is not anti-capitalistic, it is in fact largely by definition the highest form of participation in capitalism.

I mean it's lasted a couple years already. You're saying I should overspend to own the capitalists :confused:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

LaCroix is garbage and the tweet about it being water with someone saying a fruit name in the other room is spot on

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hack 1: unionize

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hacks 2 - 5: the neck

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I mean it's lasted a couple years already. You're saying I should overspend to own the capitalists :confused:

no ethical consumption under capitalism of course, but otoh lol'ing at the cost of a quality blender made in an ohio factory with decent health insurance and some level of pension savings match, while tossing in a brag that you got ahead in the game by buying one built by for you by a chinese child, doesn't exactly seem that enlightened either

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hacks 2 - 5: the neck

your guillotine might need sharpening

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

no ethical consumption under capitalism of course, but otoh lol'ing at the cost of a quality blender made in an ohio factory with decent health insurance and some level of pension savings match, while tossing in a brag that you got ahead in the game by buying one built by for you by a chinese child, doesn't exactly seem that enlightened either

On the other hand the Chinese child probably needs it more and didn't vote for Trump, so its impossible to say which is better

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Mr.Radar posted:

Woke: pretending your food brand is a person in earnings reports when your earnings are 30% below projections:

quote:

There is no greater passion than the kind that creates the wonderful refreshment and contentment described as unique! No doubt, the sound and personality of the word LaCroix, coupled with the awesome experience of its essence and taste ...is unique. One can be induced to purchase by cheapening price or giving away a product, but falling in love with a feeling of joy is the result of contentment. Just ask any LaCroix consumer ... Would you trade away that LaLa feeling? ‘No way, they shout – We just love our LaCroix!’ I am positive they respond this way each and every time,” Caporella concluded.

:psyduck:

Who the gently caress reads this and says "yes, this is how competent normal people sound. I will give them money." Who the gently caress can WRITE something like this without going through some horrific and traumatizing cult initiation?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

quote:

There is no greater passion than the kind that creates the wonderful refreshment and contentment described as unique! No doubt, the sound and personality of the word Cocoa Puffs, coupled with the awesome experience of its essence and taste ...is unique. One can be induced to purchase by cheapening price or giving away a product, but falling in love with a feeling of joy is the result of contentment. Just ask any Cocoa Puffs consumer ... Would you trade away that Coo Coo feeling? ‘No way, they shout – We're Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs!’ I am positive they respond this way each and every time,” Caporella concluded.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Mr.Radar posted:

I didn’t think it was possible for me to hate La Croix even more but here we are.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
their pamplemousse mixes well with gin

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Peanut President posted:

I still use the same blender my mom bought in 1986

And t probably cost more than a $30 equivalent back then

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wait is that for real? La Croix only had $1m in sales last year?

Jesus you can even buy that poo poo here in NZ now, I'd assumed it was doing well. How is that in any way a viable business?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

bike tory posted:

Jesus you can even buy that poo poo here in NZ now, I'd assumed it was doing well. How is that in any way a viable business?

The numbers are reported in thousands so you need to multiply by 1000 to get the actual figure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bike tory posted:

In thousands. Thats 1 billion net sales. 151mil net income.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bike tory posted:

No? It supposedly holds approximately 30% of the sparkling water market in the US, which is valued at $3 billion, so it should be getting about a billion in revenue.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That makes way more sense

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
We only made $151 million in profit last year for a profit margin of 15%. Time to ruin some lives by laying off a bunch of people and forcing the survivors to do the extra work.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Mar 8, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Effective-Disorder posted:

I don't know if it's especially her or just the cult that has erupted around her. There's a whole subreddit of people who post stuff that's more capitalism.png, but honestly what gets me is that she's selling a kind of absolution built around this woo-woo idea that Japanese people are some kind of wabi-sabi minimalism fairies.

It's bullshit, they hoard pretty good around there too (also thanks to omiyage and stuff you just can't throw out), the only thing that limits it is the fact that living space comes at a premium, moreso than some other places. Futhermore, the folks living in the blue tarp huts in Yoyogi park are better at "KonMari" than she is by sheer force of being homeless, but nobody pays much attention to them, even though they're everywhere, it's like they're imaginary. I mean, despite the very visible blue tarps in every city, nobody talks about it in Japan, like "Homelessness? Ehhh (sucks teeth)." Get a few drinks (or zero) into any older person and they'll tell you what neighborhoods the "buraku" live in though.

Anyway, she's got a Netflix show, so she's doing okay. Hey, find joy, right?

Edit: It also occurs to me now that it might not be obvious how getting rid of "clutter" is a great way to make room to acquire more poo poo. If her stated goal succeeds in a permanent fashion, she's out of business (consulting, at least), but assuming people will always hoard more poo poo, the cycle only works in her favor. I wouldn't say that Nitori and so on built her in a loving secret lab somewhere to increase consumer goods turnover so as to sell more new lovely furniture and stuff, but it's not like they're crying over this.

Either way, she ultimately makes her killing off of selling people the idea/feeling that they aren't consumers, but rather quasi-spiritual curators of things to which they are dependent upon for joy.

She's the new front for Aleph, OP

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

shout out to this dude:

Too bad his classmates didn't also walk out in a show of solidarity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This idiot is what happens when people grow up in a two-party system.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how do you know such detailed information about workers at Vitamix? what do you think the profit margins on those are?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

They... become communists? Because I'm kinda ok with that.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it a co-op?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrPossum posted:

Who the gently caress reads this and says "yes, this is how competent normal people sound. I will give them money."

I don’t think they’re expecting their consumers to read it, and I don’t think they’re raising capital right now so I’m not sure who else would give them money regardless of what was in there.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

communism will win!!!! [shooting at brown communists] sorry I'm sorry you have NO IDEA how hard it is to get by as an American student I'm so sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CYBEReris posted:

communism will win!!!! [shooting at brown communists] sorry I'm sorry you have NO IDEA how hard it is to get by as an American student I'm so sorry

He became a communist after being deployed to Afghanistan and then being enrolled in West Point and then got kicked out when he wouldn't stop trolling officers about how they are imperialist fucks.

So idk what you want really other than for him to have been born a communist and never joined the military in the first place. Personally I think it's great when anyone realizes what they've been doing is hosed up and then stops doing that and works to try and stop it from happening more.