Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

tuo posted:

Please no points for pole or fastest lap in at least the last two races. There's nothing worse than going to a race knowing that the championship might be - actually - decided during qualifying or before the checkered flag.

If that happens maybe not do it at all. I think it would make things interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

tuo posted:

Please no points for pole or fastest lap in at least the last two races. There's nothing worse than going to a race knowing that the championship might be - actually - decided during qualifying or before the checkered flag.
Hey it's better than the way it works now where the finishing order of the next 5 seasons including every race in them are decided in the Mercedes design office and then the results are released yearly in preseason testing and there's no point watching the races until the next engine formula cycle

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tuo posted:

I mean if we get to that part of the season and it's that close it means Ferrari haven't spectacularly poo poo the bed and Lewis hasn't hosed off into the sunset, so it would have been an interesting season.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

It's most of the time a hypothetical situatiuation, I guess. Similar to the stupid "double points on last race"-stuff, which is bad, but not as bad.

I went to a season finisher last year for a series that really, really was interesting. A driver managed to win six races in a row, using the car of a constructor who was dead last (and all other drivers of the same manufacturer were basically out of the championship due to the car beeing poo poo). The championship was mostly over three race weekends before the finisher, but somehow the team of said driver found a setup that made him the best. He won six races, won the seventh race on saturday of the last race weekend, but the championship could have been decided if he doesn't take pole on qualy for sunday (which he also won). He lost the championship during the race (while still winning the race, because the other guy got third or whatever), but the whole thing could have been decided in the morning.

I don't like that. Do it for moneys. Give the team a certain amount of money for fastest lap (which they can give in parts to the driver) and stuff, but please don't give championship points for it, or at least not during the last couple of races where a season is not decided unless it has an ultra-dominant team.

tl;dr:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's not going to change anything at all in the title race. They're doing it because the small teams will bolt on a set of soft tires and go nuts at the end in hopes of moving from 8th to 7th in the WCC and getting a couple million more in prize money.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isn't this pretty much for Kimi who drives half the race asleep (or having a poo poo lol epic) then wakes up 3/4ths through and starts setting fastest laps in 9th or we

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Big Huski Boi posted:

It's not going to change anything at all in the title race. They're doing it because the small teams will bolt on a set of soft tires and go nuts at the end in hopes of moving from 8th to 7th in the WCC and getting a couple million more in prize money.

It's only awared for top 10, though.

And yeah, it will be awesome on television, watching the top ten starting grid unlocking their engine modes after a one hour progression.

Unless they award like five points, it won't improve the race for viewers (which is what they are after) because viewers won't even understand why one of the drivers suddenly got fastest lap, and then the other, during the last three laps of a boring race. It might be interesting for the drivers themselves, but I guess it will be terrible to televise/explain what currently happens apart from shouting into the mic that that's a purple sector (which only concerns nerds like us).

Remember they had the pretty cool realtime sector graphic stuff, which told you on every turn how the driver either increased or hosed up, and dropped that because commenters spent more time explaining that poo poo to people who don't care instead of commenting the quali? It'll be the very same with the points for fastest lap during the last three laps of the race.

Every driver who has to defend won't have a chance at the points. Drivers who have to make an overtake will struggle to make the points (Ricciardo managed it once), drivers having no pressure on them from the back might take a go for it, and it will be suuuuper interesting.

That's my meltdown over such a lovely idea

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Can't wait for Merc to have bottas back up the whole field, so Lewis can pit on the penultimate lap for [softest compound] and take 26 points per win.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
cant wait for the next season of F1 THREAD: DRiver Gifs

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

OhsH posted:

cant wait for the next season of F1 THREAD: DRiver Gifs

I can't wait to read more of your complaints.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
will probably be less tedious than your posting

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Fat chance.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rebus posted:

This part of the forum is behind a paywall, right? OK here goes.

I'm not Paddy, but I'm on first name terms with him (I'm also not senior management!). We're mostly kept in the dark about everything, there hasn't even been a formal acknowledgement that anything is changing, other than the fact that Paddy's desk is totally clear. Someone joked about putting a little toy elephant on there.

I've seen that happen in my industry as well. It's a bizarre thinking that not announcing it (even if everyone else knows) wont hurt morale as much as if you did.
In fact, it has the opposite effect and insults the intelligence of the employees.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

I'd really appreciate it if everyone stopped ganging up on Williams right now, ok?

Leave us alone, we know what we are doing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Point for fastest lap has all the hallmarks of a classic F1 idea that is thrown out there and then rescinded pretty quickly. It's almost like Bernie's back!

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Sulphagnist posted:

Point for fastest lap has all the hallmarks of a classic F1 idea that is thrown out there and then rescinded pretty quickly. It's almost like Bernie's back!

I did not know it was in force in the 50s.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've seen that happen in my industry as well. It's a bizarre thinking that not announcing it (even if everyone else knows) wont hurt morale as much as if you did.
In fact, it has the opposite effect and insults the intelligence of the employees.

someone compared it to game development earlier and it sounds pretty similar to my experience there

i worked at a ~startup~ where i assumed being there from the start guaranteed safety and a senior position as we grew. once the product was launched that turned out not to be the case and people who i'd worked with since day one just started disappearing without a word and management would only say they'd left if directly asked. it felt really strange, what you said was exactly right - i felt it insulted my intelligence. they also acted like they were never there to begin with, which just hurt my morale even more and made me feel like my contributions wouldn't matter if i left. eventually when it came my time to leave too i was so distraught and bitter that i too just cleared my poo poo and left without a word and never looked back. they didn't announce it until they were forced to when i talked about it months later

it was a weird place to work

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao I'm watching this F1 show on Netflix and I had totally forgotten about Alonso's wheel just straight falling off in testing last year

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Big Huski Boi posted:

Lmao I'm watching this F1 show on Netflix and I had totally forgotten about Alonso's wheel just straight falling off in testing last year

is it any good?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

is it any good?

I'm enjoying it. Gunther Steiner says "gently caress" a lot.

E: it's like 80% pro-Dan propaganda, which obviously owns

Oh my god, the episode where Red Bull dumps Renault for Honda is amazing

wicka fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 9, 2019

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

GramCracker posted:

is it any good?
Yes on EP 3 great filler till next weekend
Edit:
Also Spice Girl husband kinda gives away they are favouring frog face despite openly saying to Rickys Dad they are not

Jeez Claire Williams taking instruction from Laurence Stroll looked akward

djssniper fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 9, 2019

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Big Huski Boi posted:

I'm enjoying it. Gunther Steiner says "gently caress" a lot.

E: it's like 80% pro-Dan propaganda, which obviously owns

Oh my god, the episode where Red Bull dumps Renault for Honda is amazing

Sounds like the doc fuckin owns bones

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’m the Moto3 commentators casually sidestepping the fact that the fastest rider in FP1 tried to murder someone on track last year.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Just got to Dan's Scrotum Song in Ep4. Top lad. WDC material.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
Ep. 2 has McLaren betting on how many corners Grosjean lasts in Spain.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The netflix show reminds me very much of a fight preview video that you get to watch for free on youtube. That could be a good or bad thing I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm on epsiode 3, which very much shows how amazing a driver are lance is, and how hard evil claire worked to sabotage him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

1500quidpoocati posted:

I’m the Moto3 commentators casually sidestepping the fact that the fastest rider in FP1 tried to murder someone on track last year.

I thought he got outright banned from motorcycle racing. What a oval office, I hope everyone taunts him about it all the time. "Don't brake down" signs and the like

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

episode 7 is about Grosjean

summary: lol

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Episode 8 is about spacedog

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
the f1 spacedog vid is actually good

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Interesting to me that the show actually perpetuated the "grosjean pushed a cameraman away" thing. Puts of plenty of the shows narratives into question - reality TV isnt real OMG :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmoC2TCy5Ec

Qmass fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 9, 2019

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is it Bold Predictions time yet?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's always Bold Predictions time

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got one

Grosjean won't be in F1 after the summer break

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
https://twitter.com/MotoGP/status/1104340575724163072

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

:chloe:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidpoocati posted:

Truly a blessed sport where the competitors lust for death, rather than being coddled by Halos and HANS devices like pansies. F1's best era was the one where everybody was being killed by Colin Chapman/Frank Wheeliams/Enzo Ferrari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Theophany posted:

Truly a blessed sport where the competitors lust for death, rather than being coddled by Halos and HANS devices like pansies. F1's best era was the one where everybody was being killed by Colin Chapman/Frank Wheeliams/Enzo Ferrari.
Spoken like a proper British journalist. #voteleave