Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

genocide is murder of a people, attacking their identity and suppressing their language etc

you could genocide a minority simply by stealing all their children at birth and banning anyone from learning the language, for example - after a generation, that people is no more. it's kind of old-fashioned nowadays because it's much easier to just chase people off and let them so their thing Somewhere Else

hence why the holocaust was a genocide, and hence why some people quibble about whether the armenian massacres technically constitute an attempt at genocide(they do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Squalid posted:

whatever happened I'm sure we could all agree it would be a lot easier to resolve all these problems if Pakistan stopped protecting and arming Indian al Qaeda on their border at least?

I'm kind of biased on the Kashmir situation because I really viscerally dislike Pakistan and I can't shake the feeling anything they are involved in must be bad by association.

Pakistan are essentially a parasitic entity exploiting a situation that is presently largely of India's making. If the Kashmiri Muslims weren't getting raped every thirty seconds, they'd be a lot less interested in the standard state-sponsored terrorism export package from their friends across the border. Basically, you can believe that Pakistan is bad and that Kashmir probably needs to be free.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Did Pakistan shelter Osama bin Laden because India rapes Muslims too? Is that why they have armed and provided logistical support to the Taliban for the past three decades? During the 1971 war, is that why West Pakistan tried to genocide and rape East Pakistan?

If India is so bad to Muslims, why are there still more Muslims in India than in either East or West Pakistan?

e: NICE. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...e-idUSKCN1QO0LP

Oh no, Pakistan is starting to arrest Muslims and shut down religious schools!! Won't someone think of the islamists??
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1QO0T1

svenkatesh fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 7, 2019

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Being realistic India really needs to just give up the 90% Muslim areas of Kashmir, ie the Kashmir Valley. Whatever about Jammu and Ladakh, where the demographics are more favourable, India is never going to be able to hold an area with that significant a Muslim majority, on the Pakistan border, peacefully. Especially not when their occupying troops are so rape and general crime inclined.

Give the population a UN monitored self determination plebiscite and let them go on their way.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

svenkatesh posted:

Did Pakistan shelter Osama bin Laden because India rapes Muslims too? Is that why they have armed and provided logistical support to the Taliban for the past three decades? During the 1971 war, is that why West Pakistan tried to genocide and rape East Pakistan?

If India is so bad to Muslims, why are there still more Muslims in India than in either East or West Pakistan?

Oh no, Pakistan is starting to arrest Muslims and shut down religious schools!! Won't someone think of the islamists??
Everything you post has this awful "but but but Pakistan is worse than India" angle. You really don't give two shits about Kashmir, only that apparently Pakistan is more evil than India. You come across like you'd consider it a win for the reputation of India if India murdered 1 million people but Pakistan killed a million and one.

I don't think anyone on this board is pro-Pakistan but every time you post you convince people to take an anti-India stance. In support of your own obvious agenda you really need to consider how you're coming across and damaging your own arguments each time you say something.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My dude, on the one hand I'm not doing a good job representing dharmic interests. On the other hand, it doesnt matter.

The West loves countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. It always has, it always will.

It's outright weird how defensive the West is of Sunnis. For context, I have no problem with Iran. No Persian ever tried to suicide vest me

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

svenkatesh posted:

By this logic the southern US must be the best place for black people to live, since there's more of them there vs the other regions of the county. You don't need a passport to move from Mississippi to Montana, after all.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't say that India was the best place for Muslims.

If the southern US was really horrendous to blacks they would move to the North. Or to Liberia, a country created as a safe haven for African Americans

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

Congratulations on completely failing to read my post and screaming into the void about Pakistan, I guess.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The point, since you seem to have weak comprehension, is that Kashmir is a really weak excuse given the history of Islamic terrorism.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

reignonyourparade posted:

'Deliberate act to destroy a people, in whole or in part' does not say anything about killing being part of that.

I guess sterilizing a people would be killing them off without actually killing them so technically correct, I guess.
Now in practice find me the genocide that didn't have killing.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

svenkatesh posted:

My dude, on the one hand I'm not doing a good job representing dharmic interests. On the other hand, it doesnt matter.

The West loves countries like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. It always has, it always will.

It's outright weird how defensive the West is of Sunnis. For context, I have no problem with Iran. No Persian ever tried to suicide vest me

You're actually a crazy bigot

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

svenkatesh posted:

What do you think Shia Kashmiris think about independence? That's a rhetorical question I already looked up the answer and they want it almost as bad as the Sunnis, just as long as it isn't under IS.

svenkatesh I don't know why your heart is so full of hate, maybe there's something personal in your history, but the hate has twisted your countenance into an ugly mask. As long as Indians allow their reactions to be driven by the spite and pettiness you've evinced in this thread, it is hard not to conclude that Kashmiris have no choice but to fight for independence. I don't ever see independence happening realistically, so instead there's just going to be pointless violence and expense and waste and lives destroyed.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

svenkatesh posted:

If the southern US was really horrendous to blacks they would move to the North. Or to Liberia, a country created as a safe haven for African Americans

Just want to re iterate that svenkatesh actually posted this. There is no need to continue arguing with him.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

svenkatesh posted:

:chloe:

Boy howdy you've got a real poor understanding of race relations in the US, how hard it can be to just move your life across a country, AND the country of Liberia.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Checking his rap sheet, Sven has previously attempted to defend Assad's mass prisoner executions and China's concentration camps. We've got a real charmer here.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

svenkatesh posted:

Look at this post.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I support Kashmiri independence now.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I support an independence of South Asian talk from this thread.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Even Saudi Arabia, the guardians of the Haraam, support China's deradicalization program.

Please stop calling them concentration camps. The only thing they're concentrating on is stopping Islamist violence

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grouchio posted:

I support an independence of South Asian talk from this thread.

We have an India Pakistan / S Asia Catchall thread right now! It's pretty okay!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

svenkatesh posted:

Even Saudi Arabia, the guardians of the Haraam, support China's deradicalization program.

Please stop calling them concentration camps. The only thing they're concentrating on is stopping Islamist violence

Are you loving making GBS threads me? Go gently caress yourself, you racist dullard.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

svenkatesh posted:

Get the gently caress out of this thread already you stupid bigot

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

I guess sterilizing a people would be killing them off without actually killing them so technically correct, I guess.
Now in practice find me the genocide that didn't have killing.

The Canadian practice of forcibly removing native children from their families? Genocide is the attempted destruction of an identity, murder might be the most straightforward way to accomplish that but there are plenty of other ways to do it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I support the mods annexing svenkatesh's account.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A big flaming stink posted:

The Canadian practice of forcibly removing native children from their families? Genocide is the attempted destruction of an identity, murder might be the most straightforward way to accomplish that but there are plenty of other ways to do it.

That was brought up and had (and continues to have) plenty of killing as well

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Don't think we've had someone flame out this hard in this thread since Liberal_L33t.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Squalid posted:

I remember the thread you made after your trip! You had a lot of good pictures. I'm no expert but probably that thread and the resulting discussion is responsible for most of what I know about Kashmir, at least the little I remember.

I'm not surprised at the brutality Kashmiris are treated with, nor that they would want independence. I don't blame everyone for what happened in the past either, most would have almost certainly been bystanders. However I'm pretty sure that the same organizations who orchestrated the ethnic cleansing of the eighties and nineties would be who end up running an independent Kashmir. I'm not sure if that's a worse outcome than the status quo, but certainly it makes it hard to feel supportive for their goals and methods.

I assume you were just in the Kashmir valley? I suspect if you were to ask about independence in Jammu and Ladakh you would get a different response.

I'm already outside my comfort zone on these issues which I don't understand well so I don't really want to take a strong position. Mostly I just want Pakistan and India to stop killing each other and waving nukes around over poo poo that is ultimately of little practical consequence to either.

Yeah, I was only in the valley. I have a long story about trying to go into the mountains and being surrounded by a mob of angry villagers...but ultimately the roads were just impassable because "4x4" means nothing when it's written on an Indian SUV.

Another thing I didn't mention was electrical power. There's plenty of hydro - but from what I understood power was diverted away from the valley south so there were only ~6-12 hours of electricity a day in most places in the valley. Again this was 2009, I hope things have changed.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

svenkatesh posted:

What a surprise that the guy who is insanely racist and dismissive towards pakistanis is also insanely racist and dismissive towards black americans

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

svenkatesh posted:

420 Gank Mid posted:

What a surprise that the guy who is insanely racist and dismissive towards pakistanis is also insanely racist and dismissive towards black americans

I have a hard time believing anyone seriousposting would throw out moving to Liberia as a solution to civil injustice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

I have a hard time believing anyone seriousposting would throw out moving to Liberia as a solution to civil injustice.

It's seriousposting, but it's not sincereposting. Dude was just frantically deflecting away from his transparently obvious lust for Muslim genocide. You see it a lot when Nazis who are trying to fit in get called out - they're so blinded by entitled rage that they can't even muster a decent defence even if they know they should.

Speaking of, a month and no ban seems a little light for a repeated genocide apologist. Like, Is this really a useful contributor to the site we want to keep around?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-06/trump-cancels-u-s-report-on-civilian-deaths-in-drone-strikes
"Trump Cancels U.S. Report on Civilian Deaths in Drone Strikes"

Well great. I guess all those pesky war crimes didn't look so good in the light of day

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of, a month and no ban seems a little light for a repeated genocide apologist. Like, Is this really a useful contributor to the site we want to keep around?
Echo chamber not echoing enough for you is it? The guy is a loving moron but don't start calling for people to be banned because you don't like their politics. Having your viewpoints challenged is healthy.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flayer posted:

Echo chamber not echoing enough for you is it? The guy is a loving moron but don't start calling for people to be banned because you don't like their politics. Having your viewpoints challenged is healthy.
Nah.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flayer posted:

Me (an idiot)
Genocide and war apologia should be shunned and given no platform for debate.
You (an intellectual)
Actually genocide and wsr apologia is part of a complete and nutritious conversation

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Flayer posted:

Are you loving kidding me with this post ahahahahahaha
Imagine walking into 2019 D&D with pretty much literally "guys we need to debate the nazis! Not silence them!"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

"Ok so you've referred to the Tutsis as "cockroaches". Strong words there. But let's analyze this a bit before we leap to hysterics. Why that particular insect and not say.... a mosquito? Or perhaps fruit fly?"

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm going to rate this thread a 5 for the last few pages alone, love me some genocide and concentration camp support

And a dude came to his defense saying we should debate him instead of ban him holy shiiit is this the real life

The SA forums must never die

Regarding India and Pakistan I just wanna say that I'm in Dubai so if a war breaks out there's gonna be a civil war here

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I lived in Dubai during the Kargil war, nothing really happened. There was some fighting in the local universities and between kids in some neighborhoods that I can remember. Life is hard enough for expats front the subcontinent there without adding a war to the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frond posted:

I support Kashmiri independence now.