Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You really don’t need to worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Finished FFIX for the sixth time.

Still my favorite. What a great game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FFT has a hundred ways to break it, just rotate your saves (so you don't have just one save in Riovanes at the end of Chapter 3) and you should be able to tackle anything with strategy and/or grinding. You really don't need to min-max FFT to beat it, by the end-game you're literally handed a one-man army who's still not in the top ten ways to break FFT apart.

TL posted:

:yeah:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

AweStriker posted:

I might need to just do it over anyway. I don't think I have the wiggle room to do random battles yet since I'm only two battles into the game and Ramza is kind of required to be good.
Just have someone go crystal and learn something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TL posted:

This right here? This? This is a Correct Opinion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Random though here, one of my favourite things about FFT is how small your stats are and how easy a lot of the stuff is to figure out. Like the basic attack with a weapon is PA * WP. Done. Some are a bit different, factoring MA or SP, some have some randomness, but for the most part it's pretty simple. You know what +1 PA or WP will do for you.

Otherwise you have some games where you're adding 25 to your 300 strength or 10 to your 500 weapon power, and is it a significant improvement? Who the gently caress knows?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TL posted:

Not my favourite but close and I'm also working on probably my sixth time beating it (this time on Switch).

gently caress I hate Tetra Master though, why is it even a thing? Why does it have such a completely arcane way of determining if a card wins.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Not my favourite but close and I'm also working on probably my sixth time beating it (this time on Switch).

gently caress I hate Tetra Master though, why is it even a thing? Why does it have such a completely arcane way of determining if a card wins.

I'm on Disc 3 and I have yet to engage outside of the tutorial. I've read it's not important like in VIII so I'm skipping it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Tetra Master is garbage and the only reward for it in game that isnt more Tetra Master is part of the main story and ultimately not so good that you should even bother reloading your save if you lose the final round.

The game is garbage because the numbers on the card represent bands of competence with quite a bit of randomness that you have no wat to influence that it never, ever feels good. Theres a reason no FF game since has used Tetra Master instead of Triple Triad as its base.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b-aNEW6HCg

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

I'm on Disc 3 and I have yet to engage outside of the tutorial. I've read it's not important like in VIII so I'm skipping it.

Yeah I know but it's still there, and I like goofy collectables with enemies on them, so it being so bad irritates me in a sort of low key way every time I get a card or see the card game prompt.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

Tetra Master is garbage and the only reward for it in game that isnt more Tetra Master is part of the main story and ultimately not so good that you should even bother reloading your save if you lose the final round.

The game is garbage because the numbers on the card represent bands of competence with quite a bit of randomness that you have no wat to influence that it never, ever feels good. Theres a reason no FF game since has used Tetra Master instead of Triple Triad as its base.
Tetra Master was offered on Play Online with FF11 so you could play the bad card game while trying to find a leveling group in the MMO that made EverQuest look progressive.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah I know but it's still there, and I like goofy collectables with enemies on them, so it being so bad irritates me in a sort of low key way every time I get a card or see the card game prompt.

I still get that fuzzy feeling when I get a rare one; I just wish the game itself didn't suck. I'd be more willing to chase cool cards or do the mini-games that yield them

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I dunno if it one of the mods I used on FF8, but I feel like I am not using magic in battle? I used ultima several times since drawing some, but anytime I cast it the number remains the same. Magic does get consumed if I use in the menu, but in battle it never seems to go lower. The only 'booster' I ever use is the one for faster speed for quality of life purpose.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
That would have to be a mod, then. Not surprising, because in the base game no one ever casts magic because doing so reduces your stats, and it's generally easier/more efficient to just spam limit breaks anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Uh you'll find there are actually *two* viable use-cases for magic in battle

Triple->Aura so that everybody gets limit breaks faster, and Meltdown so that everybody's limit breaks do more damage lol

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Some of the status spells are surprisingly useful in FF8, like Blind in general, Death being effective in a lot of cases, and Break being a form of death that still gets you AP while not giving you XP (!). But you're probably more inclined to Status Attack Junction them rather than cast them as spells.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WaltherFeng posted:

I have played both the psp version and the android one.

The android one fixes the slowdown bug. You have to download a fan patch to fix it on PSP.

The android one gives you free OP gear once you beat the game. On psp you can only get these by cheating or doing ad hoc multiplayer (lol)

Imo android is better if you want it to work out of the box

Beating the game on mobile unlocks the OP gear for every save file to be specific.

Want to do a future run with silly OP murder gear? You can (iirc it's in the fur shop so you need to hit ch3 first).

AweStriker posted:

I might need to just do it over anyway. I don't think I have the wiggle room to do random battles yet since I'm only two battles into the game and Ramza is kind of required to be good.

Unless you try to make Ramza just be a chemist or something lovely like an archer, he's always going to be good. If you're worried then just go squire->knight->monk and he'll be fine for most of the game. You don't need to grind early on unless you really feel the need to do so.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Merilan posted:

Some of the status spells are surprisingly useful in FF8, like Blind in general, Death being effective in a lot of cases, and Break being a form of death that still gets you AP while not giving you XP (!). But you're probably more inclined to Status Attack Junction them rather than cast them as spells.

tfw you flex for quistis by putting the t-rex to sleep and methodically killing it instead of running

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zedprime posted:

Tetra Master was offered on Play Online with FF11 so you could play the bad card game while trying to find a leveling group in the MMO that made EverQuest look progressive.

You could not, because they had to be executed from POL seperately.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Magic's actually really strong if you're playing through FFVIII like a normal human being and not a Draw-addled munchkin. It's just the game encourages you to just draw fat stacks of magic and sit on it for stats so casting Fira when it's a relevant spell isn't likely because it's more likely to be stuck to someone's attack when, if you just threw it in beasties faces instead and moved on with your life you'd probably never miss it on the Attack stat.

It's also got some useful status and buff magic, but nobody uses status or buff magic in FF so nobody would ever know about it anyways.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 10, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Making things limited use is pretty much always a recipe for players to avoid using something and then FFVIII made it even worse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Final Fantasy taught me that no spell that doesn't do direct damage will ever have any effect on any enemy.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Final Fantasy taught me that no spell that doesn't do direct damage will ever have any effect on any enemy.

FFX and FFT did a good job of encouraging use of status/buff/debuff magic, IMO. Hell it was downright necessary in some cases

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

FFX and FFT did a good job of encouraging use of status/buff/debuff magic, IMO. Hell it was downright necessary in some cases

I haven't really played Final Fantasy X yet because I had such a hard time tolerating the pissbaby player character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

I haven't really played Final Fantasy X yet because I had such a hard time tolerating the pissbaby player character.

Turn your TV on.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

Mega64 posted:

Turn your TV on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ineffective.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mega64 posted:

Turn your TV on.

Got em

Yeah Tidus does suck. He's the reason I didn't give the game a shot back when it came out. If it helps, he does improve alot by the end of the game. I have to wonder if the Japanese version is better. His lines and delivery seem really stilted

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TheHoosier posted:

Got em

Yeah Tidus does suck. He's the reason I didn't give the game a shot back when it came out. If it helps, he does improve alot by the end of the game. I have to wonder if the Japanese version is better. His lines and delivery seem really stilted

welcome to the world of being the first voice-acted FF and also they had to match the length of the Japanese audio files down to the second otherwise the game would crash.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

morallyobjected posted:

welcome to the world of being the first voice-acted FF and also they had to match the length of the Japanese audio files down to the second otherwise the game would crash.

Yeah they said that on the Watch Out For Fireballs episode. That's pretty hosed, but also interesting. Puts a lot in perspective.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yuna literally can't go beyond the japanese Hai, that's why her lines are a billion times faster than they should.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the ffx english voice cast were actually all in a competition to determine who could say the word "Okay" the fastest

yuna's VA won

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tidus is cool.

Tidus has always been cool.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

cock hero flux posted:

the ffx english voice cast were actually all in a competition to determine who could say the word "Okay" the fastest

yuna's VA won

The winner got to voice Yuna. Shame John DiMaggio didn't get it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Tidus is cool.

His water sword is cool. Not like, gunblade or buster sword cool, but it's up there.

Edit: I don't hate half pants.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Tidus is cool.

:yeshaha:

Tidus is definitely the James of Final Fantasy.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If you play other games featuring Yuna like X-2 or Dissidia you'll notice her vocal performance is a lot less stilted and awkwardly paced because she didn't have to work in the weird technical limitations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

tidus is a really a cool character. his va direction just kinda...sucks...~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Is Suikoden 5 one of those games that you had to play when it came out?
Cause I'm not feeling it at all. Even for a mid 2000 JRPG it plays and feels really archaic. I never played any Suikoden, are they all like this or does it pick up later?