Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Blow posted:

I remember one time I was with my friend at Maccas (McDonalds) and he had a vanilla shake. He put his head on the table and let the white liquid dribble out of his mouth and said "Not bad for a human." I nearly choked from laughing so much.

Your friend is loving awesome.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

HBO needs to make a sick aliens series.

Yes.

Jay_Zombie posted:

I would love to see this, but at the same time, I wouldn't.
If it were like, a high budget 5 part series, where some marines or a science team get marooned on a planet while checking out a research station that dropped communication, and the story arc was all the things that happened while they were trying to get off the planet, over the span of like a week or something, then yeah, that would be cool. But I can't see it being something that runs for multiple seasons without it turning into the Walking Dead: Alien Edition.

Also yes.

any alien movie is improved by 75% by not. casting. loving. lance. henriksen.

MODDDSSSSS!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

i thought AvP: requiem was bad because the characters were killed off too quickly. what makes aliens good is you get invested into the dynamics of the marines and then they get killed, not just randomly introducing them and killing them off within minutes. also none of the characters in requiem react appropriately to literally hundreds of people being ripped apart around them.

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, the first AvP was way closer to what the AvP comics were like than Requiem. It’s not exactly a bad take, considering both movies were pretty bad.

I only like Requiem cause it has that dope scene where the dad gets loving wrecked as he’s peering through the sliding glass door.

skasion posted:

This isn’t a dumb opinion at all. AVP is clumsy in execution (PG13 Alien movie? PG13 Predator movie? Lmao) on top of the whole idea being dumb, but it’s a fun dumb. It’s essentially one big crackpot pastiche of “At the Mountains of Madness” and it’s hard to go all the way wrong with that premise. Requiem is a terrible movie with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, there’s really nothing worse to say about it than that it looks like complete poo poo despite being conceived and directed by two special effects guys.

You guys get it, I've only ever heard people say the opposite.

AvP isn't good, but it's at least fun.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

seriously the worst part of alien 3 was when he appears for some reason and is like 'lol I'm actually the FOUNDER of the company and thats why all the androids look like me!'

(almost as bad as spending a fortune cgi'ing guy pierce into an old man in prometheus instead of just... casting an old man?)

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The director's cut of Aliens is bad and those scenes were cut for a reason. They add nothing that we need to know and bog down the excellent pacing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I respect your right to an opinion even if I want to punch those lying teeth out of your dumb punk mug.

(except about the pacing, I agree but argue its worth the tradeoff.)

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Why would you want to see the captain from series 1 of Red Dwarf doing terrible sitcom acting in one of the best action movies ever

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
NERD ALERT!

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ZMf0-OL2w

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Sheeeeit, I've been meaning to rewatch those movies.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
After all these years, this is still a common greeting between my brother and I. I wish it came from a better movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6AC7tw8e0

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I used to own (might still own) the Aliens dvd from the quadrilogy with all the behind the scenes stuff and it was pretty fascinating to watch — said from a dude who doesn't generally get into behind the scenes stuff.

The most memorable parts were the queen's practical effects which took a lot of effort and careful framing to mask the glaring animatronics and scaffolding and how most of the facehugger action sequences were actually filmed in reverse. I guess they had the puppet on a string and dragged it away from Ripley/Newt because it would be harder to make those jumps by itself. Just gave me a real appreciation for the work it takes when you're not trying to CGI everything.

Also I think the Alien in AvP was animatronic too?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

After all these years, this is still a common greeting between my brother and I. I wish it came from a better movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV6AC7tw8e0

I mentioned this line earlier in the thread. Resurrection was so bad. The dialog alone could have killed it.

Ripley: "Who do I have to gently caress to get off this boat?"

ok

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Any of y'all ever play the konami arcade game?

I was glad of emulation, when I finally got to credit feed it to the end.

also this was a fun tie in, children's toys fora violent r-rated body horror movie
"HICKS IN THE HEAVILY ARMED EEE-VAC FIGHTER!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p81-9MQR6lg

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those commercials were great.

SEND IN THE MARINES!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have soft spot of sorrow for Aliens 3

I saw it the day my two best friends moved out of our apartment after graduating from school. I had flunked out of that school a semester earlier and technically had moved back home to figure out what was next but I was basically couch surfing and hanging out with them.

I was really bummed out when they pulled away in their u-haul vans, like it was an end of an era, with my life going nowhere, so to take my mind off of things I went to see a movie and Aliens three was playing.

When the opening credits scrolled and I realized that Hicks and Newt were dead I remember thinking, “Welp, this isn’t going to help at all.” I watch that movie now, almost thirty years later, and I still feel the feels I felt that grey day.

That’s my A3 story.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Owlbear Camus posted:

also this was a fun tie in, children's toys fora violent r-rated body horror movie

My god, I actually had that flying queen toy. It had grabby claw feet you could use to pick stuff up, and it was cool as poo poo. Also, the 90s toy line ruled because they made every single kind of alien you could possibly think of and they all had like 3rd tier X-Man level unique abilities.

Killer Crab Alien:

Rhino Alien:

Night Cougar Alien (with attacking kamikaze parasite!):

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 8, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beet Wagon posted:

I tend to go with the explanation that some of the books use which is that a drone can - if not in the presence of a queen - morph into a queen to start a new colony. It's elegant, there's precedence for it, and it's all the explanation that is necessary.
Alternative view: every alien turns into a queen unless there already is one. Getting bigger and nastier and more unkillable and spewing out dozens of eggs is the natural state of an alien, unless they've already got one of those.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lol, looking back through these, Kenner had an interesting take on Apone and Bishop:

Splicer posted:

Alternative view: every alien turns into a queen unless there already is one. Getting bigger and nastier and more unkillable and spewing out dozens of eggs is the natural state of an alien, unless they've already got one of those.

Yeah, the books (as I remember, it's been a while) are always pretty vague about how it happens and why, which I think is a nice touch. The one that goes into it most is Aliens: Genocide, where two rival queens form and fight for dominance. It's a pretty cool comic/book

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I've always thought that Xenomorphs worked kind of like bees. If there's a bunch of Xeno's and none is a queen, they will pick one and feed it a special jelly that they secrete until it develops into a queen. A queen can also lay queen eggs, which, if they hatch could be her successor in which case, there is either a queen fight, or the drones swarm and kill the old queen so that the new one can take her place, or the queen egg hatches and the face hugger impregnates a host that travels away from the hive in order to spread the species to other locales.

Or something like that.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Nobody in this movie was named Allen. Let alone a bunch of guys.

0/10

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Back in the last year of high school I got stuck with the preppy girl and a complete shut in. The assignment was to portray how media can turn kids violent.
Our solution got it me an idea.
I was me under a fake TV, with Peter blasting ketchup during the part from Aliens when poo poo goes down. I dealt with the boombox that I'd badly taped sound from the movie. The grand finale was Linn throwing a doll into the whole mess.
We got an A.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember how mad you got when I told you I was getting you a Hick's figure and you thought I meant the super expensive, movie accurate doll and not the toy that comes with a robot dog?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

FogHelmut posted:

"Looking badass" is very important to the military. The YF-23 and the X-32 planes lost the competition to the F-22 and F-35 because they were goofy looking.

So this is way back a few pages but I thought I'd mention the fact that pretty much across all of aviation (military, civilian, otherwise) pilots are EXCEEDINGLY superstitious. Many pilots I know (including my dad and me) would without a doubt not fly a certain aircraft because it was ugly or looked "wrong" somehow. The X-32 and YF-23's are perfect examples. Many people I'm sure said "I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing." And that notion is correct because yes, the F-22 and F-35 are vastly better aircraft that preformed better than their rivals in the fly off. The YF-23 couldn't even fire it's weapons when the fly off came up, for example.

A friend of my family almost died in a Curtis Junior:

when the exhaust stack went through the propeller and basically vibrated the aircraft to pieces. He didn't really want to go up in it because he was honestly afraid someone would see him in it, but the owner persuaded him. He told me that as the aircraft was disintegrating around him his only thought was "Oh god, please not in this thing!" Another old flying superstition is that if the airplane seems to be having trouble or harmonization issues you just put more stickers on it and it will fly better. And trust me, people who say that are probably only kinda sorta joking.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Owlbear Camus posted:

You're telling me Aliens, Robocop, Terminator, and Predator weren't kids movies?

edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryrq2J54Gi8

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 8, 2019

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I mentioned this line earlier in the thread. Resurrection was so bad. The dialog alone could have killed it.

Ripley: "Who do I have to gently caress to get off this boat?"

ok

Joss Whedon, everyone!

*scattered, anemic applause*

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
like Dan Hedaya can be a lot of fun to watch and he understood that Resurrection was full of broadly drawn cartoon characters, which I think is why he gave the most oddly stilted salute I've seen in cinema because he probably read the script and was like "well, gently caress it, it's THAT kind of movie"

https://youtu.be/8c-6V3dN_9I
6:52 in, phone postin

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 8, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jay_Zombie posted:

I've always thought that Xenomorphs worked kind of like bees. If there's a bunch of Xeno's and none is a queen, they will pick one and feed it a special jelly that they secrete until it develops into a queen.
Bees can turn into crap queens without royal jelly just by not eating the regular food. To my understanding royal jelly is super nutritious and contains royalactin which makes bees huge, and regular bee food contains stuff that makes the other bees not grow proper reproductive organs.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature10093
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/1/7/e1500795

In any case I like the general idea that aliens are self sufficient death machines that totally can make more aliens no problem, and queens are a beneficial ramping up rather than a requirement.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Remember how mad you got when I told you I was getting you a Hick's figure and you thought I meant the super expensive, movie accurate doll and not the toy that comes with a robot dog?

You sucked balls and taint for that elaborate white elephant prank binch.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Lil Peeler posted:

I used to own (might still own) the Aliens dvd from the quadrilogy with all the behind the scenes stuff and it was pretty fascinating to watch — said from a dude who doesn't generally get into behind the scenes stuff.

The most memorable parts were the queen's practical effects which took a lot of effort and careful framing to mask the glaring animatronics and scaffolding and how most of the facehugger action sequences were actually filmed in reverse. I guess they had the puppet on a string and dragged it away from Ripley/Newt because it would be harder to make those jumps by itself. Just gave me a real appreciation for the work it takes when you're not trying to CGI everything.

Also I think the Alien in AvP was animatronic too?

I was looking at how the did the loader scenes and I assumed they used actual hydraulics or whatever but NOPE. It was made out of plastic pipe and stuff and there was a dude inside the suit behind Sigourney who just kinda moved along with her like a kid dancing on a parent's feet. Combined with some overhead wires for some scenes it was basically just a giant marionette. Which is crazy because my suspension of disbelief just made me go "yeah this thing exists and they built it for the movie"

I think a lot of the SFX in Aliens are like that but Cameron was so good and had such an amazing team everything was pretty seamless.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My favourite part of re-watching alien resurrection was realising I was watching alpha test footage for firefly

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

dev286 posted:

I was looking at how the did the loader scenes and I assumed they used actual hydraulics or whatever but NOPE. It was made out of plastic pipe and stuff and there was a dude inside the suit behind Sigourney who just kinda moved along with her like a kid dancing on a parent's feet. Combined with some overhead wires for some scenes it was basically just a giant marionette. Which is crazy because my suspension of disbelief just made me go "yeah this thing exists and they built it for the movie"

I think a lot of the SFX in Aliens are like that but Cameron was so good and had such an amazing team everything was pretty seamless.

A significant portion of the Alien Queen was just a metal skeleton covered in trash bags iirc

This old show from the 90's is seriously good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq6YMYCsWpQ

I dunno if that's the one with Aliens because I can't view YT at work, but the thumbnail had one of the gremlins so it probably it is.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Julius CSAR posted:

A significant portion of the Alien Queen was just a metal skeleton covered in trash bags iirc

This old show from the 90's is seriously good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq6YMYCsWpQ

I dunno if that's the one with Aliens because I can't view YT at work, but the thumbnail had one of the gremlins so it probably it is.

Haha it starts with Carnosaur! I'm gonna watch this right now!

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Agrikk posted:

I have soft spot of sorrow for Aliens 3

I saw it the day my two best friends moved out of our apartment after graduating from school. I had flunked out of that school a semester earlier and technically had moved back home to figure out what was next but I was basically couch surfing and hanging out with them.

I was really bummed out when they pulled away in their u-haul vans, like it was an end of an era, with my life going nowhere, so to take my mind off of things I went to see a movie and Aliens three was playing.

When the opening credits scrolled and I realized that Hicks and Newt were dead I remember thinking, “Welp, this isn’t going to help at all.” I watch that movie now, almost thirty years later, and I still feel the feels I felt that grey day.

That’s my A3 story.

Poetic.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The thing you gotta remember about Ripley's fight with the alien queen is that it's really just a massive puppet fight.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The thing you gotta remember about Ripley's fight with the alien queen is that it's really just a massive puppet fight.

But it's soo cool!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j51DfrLHUek

No music. Just the sound of whining hydros punctuated by the visceral thumps of steel against exoskeleton, and the screeching of a 20 foot tall nightmare that wants to eat your face off.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 9, 2019

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

It seems pepsi decided to re-use this commercial with kaitlin jenner.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Jay_Zombie posted:

But it's soo cool!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j51DfrLHUek

No music. Just the sound of whining hydros punctuated by the visceral thumps of steel against exoskeleton, and the screeching of a 20 foot tall nightmare that wants to eat your face off.

Look at that dirty rear end loader covered in grease stains and chipped paint. Every time I watch this I have to obsess over the prop design.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jay_Zombie posted:

But it's soo cool!!

It is! I should have been clear, massive puppet battles are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Thanks for sharing that abomination. Jesus Christ who thought that was a good idea?