Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

COMRADES posted:

e: Except South Korea randomly because

which I find pretty funny.

even K-pop stars’ dicks are well manicured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like w/e I don't even care that much if you want to get upset because someone interpreted a billionaire circumcision joke the wrong way that's your own issue. I was just trying to explain why it was maybe taken the wrong way.

Anyway, good news:

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1102444030133186560

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1104166202354663424

This is my favorite interview ever. Stick it in my loving veins.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

this account owns thank u

https://twitter.com/everyfan3417/status/1090754224521166848

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That rules

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1104043715717488640

https://twitter.com/edoswald/status/1104051532864126982

https://twitter.com/CatDirr/status/1103403231378620417

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yesss resurrected a video from funny twitter. Got a hold of the file that the copyright trolls deleted the tweet of. It lives again

(Sound on)

https://i.imgur.com/G5efr8J.mp4

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 04:55 on Mar 9, 2019

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
https://twitter.com/DigitalNeal/status/1104188873830264832?s=20

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr. Sunshine posted:

At first I thought this was some bizarre dig at jews, but now I get that it was a small penis joke. I'm either too tired or too european to get circumcision jokes.

it's not really a proper joke

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

so in happy thread news, i'm glad that the cultural tide is turning against dawkins/gervais shithead religious bigotry like this nonsense :)

the best news is that it turned when they revealed themselves to be the incredulous morons that they always were

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1104101488203313152

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

I've never listened to Vampire Weekend but now might be the time I do so.

e: I was wrong to do so, they're neither goth/vampire/metal or even emo, they're pop. The name has been besmirched even though I agree with his opinions.

DiggityDoink has issued a correction as of 11:58 on Mar 9, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
just lol if you can't enjoy pop music

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Hotbutt posted:

This is my favorite interview ever. Stick it in my loving veins.

that is some motherfucking journalism. most US reporters would have let him walk away after the first couple of deflections but the AJ interviewer was locked on.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bro, vampire weekend is hella blessed.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Subjunctive posted:

that is some motherfucking journalism. most US reporters would have let him walk away after the first couple of deflections but the AJ interviewer was locked on.

It's a serious problem that we have fawning useless "journalists" like Fox News where people can get nothing but bullshit softball questions. Because of the "free market" of ideas or whatever bullshit people are basically allowed to lie. And the mainstream media is trapped in a race to the bottom by "access journalism" where if they don't write nothing but puff pieces then they get locked out. 30% of the American public is stupid enough to get their news from Fox.

I have no idea what the solution is.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pseudanonymous posted:

It's a serious problem that we have fawning useless "journalists" like Fox News where people can get nothing but bullshit softball questions. Because of the "free market" of ideas or whatever bullshit people are basically allowed to lie. And the mainstream media is trapped in a race to the bottom by "access journalism" where if they don't write nothing but puff pieces then they get locked out. 30% of the American public is stupid enough to get their news from Fox.

I dunno either but in general the fact that everyone is rushing to "get the scoop" and thus there is very little actual intelligent analysis of events because by the time that can happen everyone is already rushing to the next scoop. They don't even have real sources anymore half the time, it's just referencing some website or Twitter post.

It kind of was great that years ago the BBC just said "there's no news today" sometimes instead of trying to puff some poo poo up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress is badmouthing Vampire Weekend in the Happy thread?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
please dont post about liking vampire weekend or i will have to post about not liking vampire weekend

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Found the context for that Meghan McCain thing upthread, makes more sense now

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1104487908621336580

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/JeddyMercury/status/1104491810997583872?s=19

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pseudanonymous posted:

I’m on vacation with a bunch of 70-year-old hippies and some are ex-journalists who were grousing last night about how one of the issues facing the industry is that millennials think news is free because it appears by magic on their phones, so nobody wants to pay for real journalism anymore.

May or may not have a grain of truth in there somewhere? Maybe the trends are against incisive investigative journalism that requires funding and investment? I dunno

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Data Graham posted:

I’m on vacation with a bunch of 70-year-old hippies and some are ex-journalists who were grousing last night about how one of the issues facing the industry is that millennials think news is free because it appears by magic on their phones, so nobody wants to pay for real journalism anymore.

May or may not have a grain of truth in there somewhere? Maybe the trends are against incisive investigative journalism that requires funding and investment? I dunno

I think this has a grain of truth, mostly for investigative journalism. It's quickly being pushed aside in favor of clickbait fluff pieces because that's what keeps the rest of the newsnetwork afloat. And why would people (not just millenials, in fact there's probably some graph somewhere that shows they and the next generation are the most willing to pay to get unbiased news) pay for frank journalism when they can stay in their echo chamber for free?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Victory Position posted:

the best news is that it turned when they revealed themselves to be the incredulous morons that they always were

Just out of curiosity, did Gervais has a specific moment when he revealed himself, or did people just wake up one morning and realize collectively, "holy poo poo, the new atheists are awful"?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Data Graham posted:

This may have some truth but on the other hand Vice News exists and idk about current popularity but for a while there everyone was super into their deep dive investigative stuff. Their ISIS piece was fantastic. Then they got bought by a major media company? They still have good stuff though I just watched a piece about women in China.

It's not that people aren't willing to pay imo, it's just that most media is owned by 4-5 companies and they basically just mimic each other's "appeal to mass audience clickbait" business model. Because that 'makes more money' and you can't be satisfied with just making money you have to not leave a single dollar on the table.

Like I don't think news is free buuut 95% of US media is owned by the same few companies and they suck assholes and are a step away from straight propaganda. So yeah I'm not paying for that, I'm adblocking and incognito moding it.

There's also the ever present fact that millennials are just broke as gently caress and don't have a lot of disposable income thus if we can get something for free we are likely to do that. Idk why anyone thinks people living check to check have the disposable income for this that and the other thing. I'm 28 and paid for a year of the SD Union Tribune maybe 2-3 years ago bc I do like reading a physical paper plus their app was pretty good, but... rents are up ya know?

I do like the concept of the BBC insofar as taxpayer funded but on the other hand they suck too and are basically a Tory mouthpiece so :shrug: There's gotta be factors in play other than just people don't want to pay for it.

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Mar 10, 2019

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just out of curiosity, did Gervais has a specific moment when he revealed himself, or did people just wake up one morning and realize collectively, "holy poo poo, the new atheists are awful"?

You can tell even from his old xfm radio days imo. They're funny and I still listen to recordings sometimes but there's little bits here and there where he is a doucher. It's better though bc he hadn't quiiite blown up as big yet and Steve and Karl are perfectly willing to call him a dickhead to his face at which point he just laughs and says 'yeah.'

e: most of his standup material (that I've heard anyway) is rehashed stuff from those old xfm radio shows. Xfm the British station not the satellite radio, btw.

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Mar 10, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm a millennial and I directly pay for news. The only reason I still pay HBO every month is so I can watch John Oliver do his weekly investigative dive into an issue. This is one of the only things I pay for at all anymore, so I'd say millennials pay a much huger percentage of their net worth for news, but it's the news we want. We will not pay to have some both sides-isms written by boomers delivered to our doorstep. We just want news that's written for us, although there is practically none, because our generation is not the one holding all the money.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

lol

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Mar 10, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

drat millennials and their clickbait, the proud facebook boomers would certainly never be interested in that sort of thing.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Data Graham posted:

This is bullshit, and it completely ignores how journalism was funded in the past. There as never really a time where news consumers were directly paying the majority of the cost for the work of journalists. Journalism was either funded by non-profits with endowments where the goal wasn't to make a profit in the first place or it was funded primarily through selling various parts of the paper in different ways. Real estate sections, classifieds, want ads, etc. were the things that actually kept the lights on. Direct consumer prices were mostly about defraying the cost of printing and distribution.

The other thing this take ignores is that journalism hasn't always been a white-collar industry. Journalists being paid like poo poo and treated like poo poo is actually more the norm.

The key thing that has killed the industry isn't millenials. It's deregulation leading to conglomeration and greedy investors with no interest in journalism at all trying to leech as much out of portfolios of dying organizations as possible on their inevitable march toward death. They have no interest in trying to find innovative ways to fund real journalism, and capitalism doesn't really have an answer for it either.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yup, tons of newspapers are now owned by huge hedge funds who think of them as profit and bonus engines. Just share 75% of the paper between all of them and do 25% local stuff, who cares if it completely kills the charm and makes it useless compared to using Google news, there is profit to be found.

If you want something happy, the LA Times writers unionized last year and it freaked Tronc out so badly, they sold the paper to local billionaire who has been undoing a lot of the bad cost cutting and significantly expanding the newsroom staff. There has been a huge push throughout the entire industry of journalists unionizing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
literally every industry would benefit from labor organization.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

The Glumslinger posted:

Yup, tons of newspapers are now owned by huge hedge funds who think of them as profit and bonus engines. Just share 75% of the paper between all of them and do 25% local stuff, who cares if it completely kills the charm and makes it useless compared to using Google news, there is profit to be found.

If you want something happy, the LA Times writers unionized last year and it freaked Tronc out so badly, they sold the paper to local billionaire who has been undoing a lot of the bad cost cutting and significantly expanding the newsroom staff. There has been a huge push throughout the entire industry of journalists unionizing.

Oh man, I have so many stories of the paper I used to work for trying to unionize back in the mid-90s. Management went HAM on anyone even remotely involved, apparently under orders from Lord Conrad Black himself. And the paper wasn't even a blip on their radar, circulation was maybe 10,000 at the time. It was the principal of the thing. But the poo poo that got pulled...

The good news is that Conrad Black went to prison. That's enough right there.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

literally every industry would benefit from labor organization.

cops and prison guards?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Doc Hawkins posted:

cops and prison guards?

invalid industries.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

also cops and COs are already organized so it's a moot point

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
titties

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
wish i could organize some titties other than my moobs

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Cop unions aren't inherently bad, just like any union. The mob-like nature of American cops and their corresponding unions are a consequence of several systemic failures, cheif among them training and equipping cops like soldiers, fostering an "us VS them" mentality in the force, and the judicial system reflexively siding with the police in all but the most extreme cases.

The good news is that none of these issues are unfixable! It is possible to "re-integrate" the police into civilian society. It does however require political will and effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Cop unions aren't inherently bad, just like any union. The mob-like nature of American cops and their corresponding unions are a consequence of several systemic failures, cheif among them training and equipping cops like soldiers, fostering an "us VS them" mentality in the force, and the judicial system reflexively siding with the police in all but the most extreme cases.

The good news is that none of these issues are unfixable! It is possible to "re-integrate" the police into civilian society. It does however require political will and effort.

Subject all cops to the same poo poo they put people who are not lilly white through for a week or so and see if they still resist change