Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is useful to me since I've been considering an LP120 for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I’m happy I grabbed a refurb Airport Express right after Apple discontinued it a few years back for the same reason. A chromecast audio wouldn’t have worked with iTunes/Apple Music streaming.

Funny you mention it because my uncle gave me his last week lol.

What's the best way to set it up for music streaming? I'm assuming there is some sort of custom firmware for it but I haven't looked into it yet.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endless Mike posted:

This is useful to me since I've been considering an LP120 for awhile.

The 120x are already on sale but Idk if they’re shipping yet.

Also worth pointing out that the VM95e is a better deal IMO than the AT95ex that ships on the LP5. There isn’t a 95ex equivalent in the new lineup so it’s probs not in AT’s economic interest to update it (they’d have to either ship the LP5 with the new 95e and “downgrade” or ship it with a much more expensive cart or create a new VM series tier)

64bit_Dophins posted:

Funny you mention it because my uncle gave me his last week lol.

What's the best way to set it up for music streaming? I'm assuming there is some sort of custom firmware for it but I haven't looked into it yet.

If you have Macs and iOS devices it’s as simple as using AirPort Utility to switch on AirPlay and set it up. I’m sure it’s prolly available on Windows too, right?

Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see that mine now supports AirPlay 2.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 8, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Ugh, spoke too soon- there’s also now a $399 ATLP140XP, which seems to be more of a direct 1200 competitor? It comes with the DJ version of the VM95 but that’s apparently swappable back. I wonder what the differences are.

And an ATLP7 and some ATLP30 and 40 or whatever wood plinthed ones. There’s a lot of new AT turntables for 2019 is my point.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
How the gently caress is it that AT can manage to crank a fuckton of new TT's but Shure can't even manage to keep making the ONE loving cart that everyone uses (M44-G)? Or ANY cartridges for that matter?
I'm still debating on if I should stock up on needles now or just wait and see if they come back or just move on.

I'm really glad I didn't pick up a pair of Whitelabels when I planned to. I lucked out and got a free pair of unused Concorde's instead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ugh, spoke too soon- there’s also now a $399 ATLP140XP, which seems to be more of a direct 1200 competitor? It comes with the DJ version of the VM95 but that’s apparently swappable back. I wonder what the differences are.

And an ATLP7 and some ATLP30 and 40 or whatever wood plinthed ones. There’s a lot of new AT turntables for 2019 is my point.
Yeah, the 120X seems to be for home use, and the 140XP for DJs:

quote:

The following are differences between the AT-LP120-USB model turntable and the AT-LP120xUSB.

o Lower cost
o Add ground lug
o Add removable RCA terminals (detachable cables)
o Global power with external AC/DC conversion
o Updated VM95E cartridge with interchangeable styli family
o Removable cue target light
o Remove tone arm height adjustment
o Lower torque motor for better HiFi audio performance
o Improved preamp frequency response
o Remove reverse directional play

Does tone arm height really matter for home use?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Endless Mike posted:

Does tone arm height really matter for home use?

Yeah definitely unless you have another way of adjusting the cart angle. You want the cart to be level with the record so the needle tracks properly.

As a bonus, it'll allow you to use some really nice thick dampening slipmats.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

That’s funny, Audiokarma seems to have concluded the opposite- or rather that the 140XP is the better successor, unless you need the built-in preamp, and that the 120X is a downgrade in many respects.

I’ve been collecting records since 2011 and I’m at the point where I’d like to move up from the LP120/ProJect Debut-tier of tables. For me that’s always meant getting a 1200, and even at a grand without a headshell the Mk 7 appeals to me as an “endgame” table. Something like a Rega RP3 comes in at a similar price and I’d much rather go with DD.

But if the 140XP can get within spitting distance of the Mk7 for $400 then it’s a no-brainer at that cost.

Also where did you get that quote from and is there one for the 140XP?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s funny, Audiokarma seems to have concluded the opposite- or rather that the 140XP is the better successor, unless you need the built-in preamp, and that the 120X is a downgrade in many respects.

I’ve been collecting records since 2011 and I’m at the point where I’d like to move up from the LP120/ProJect Debut-tier of tables. For me that’s always meant getting a 1200, and even at a grand without a headshell the Mk 7 appeals to me as an “endgame” table. Something like a Rega RP3 comes in at a similar price and I’d much rather go with DD.

But if the 140XP can get within spitting distance of the Mk7 for $400 then it’s a no-brainer at that cost.

Also where did you get that quote from and is there one for the 140XP?

It's from the Q&A section of the official product page. There's nothing similar on the 140XP page.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Need some help, getting a new receiver and can't decide between these:
Kenwood Kr-730
Yamaha cr-840
JVC JR-S81W
Technics SA-505
Kenwood KR-4070
Sansui G-3000

I am using a Technics SL-D2 going to 2 70's klipsch studio monitors. Really looking for good sound is about it.

The speakers I will be using are the Klipsch KG 2.2

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 11, 2019

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Flaggy posted:

Kenwood Kr-730
Yamaha cr-840
JVC JR-S81W
Technics SA-505
Kenwood KR-4070
Sansui G-3000

I am using a Technics SL-D2 going to 2 70's klipsch studio monitors. Really looking for good sound is about it.

I've used similar models to the Yamaha and the Sansui as my primary receiver over the years. I prefer the Sansui, but that's probably more for looks than sound. They both sounded good to me. Yamaha had an interesting Loudness switch but I ended up never using it. Both were well made. The Yamaha definitely feels very high quality but isn't very flashy compared to lots of other glass-front receivers of the time.

I'm currently using a Sansui G-4500 but I think I'll be going back to my old Pioneer SX-780 soon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Yamaha gets my vote but I’m a fanboy and I love their design

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Flaggy posted:

Kenwood Kr-730
Yamaha cr-840
JVC JR-S81W
Technics SA-505
Kenwood KR-4070
Sansui G-3000

The speakers I will be using are the Klipsch KG 2.2
Um, why are you looking exclusively at really old crap?

maybe an Onkyo A-9010?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Vintage is in the thread title

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Um, why are you looking exclusively at really old crap?

polyester concept posted:

Vintage is in the thread title

ahaha hahahaha hahahaha

what a dipshit question

why are you asking about vintage gear in a decade old thread full of people who collect vintage gear?

ahahahahahahaha onkyo a9010 hahahahahaha

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/wqNJp-S6gCA?t=55

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
KR-4070 . I’m only basing that on aesthetics and brand loyalty

This one still has the box, if that type thing matters to you and has been serviced;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-KR-4070-VINTAGE-STEREO-RECEIVER-SERVICED-WORKING-WATCH-VIDEO/132971477504

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 15, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Personally I think the Yamaha, the Sansui, and Kenwoods are the highest quality of the group.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is so funny to me, as someone who's getting back into this after 8 years, because ten years ago I literally bought a 1200 because I couldn't afford a brand new Pro-Ject. Times change!

edit: speaking of which, I'm still using the Concorde cartridge it came with, including what I realize now is a mismatched Scratch stylus. What do people like these days, or am I better off just replacing the stylus?

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 18, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

This is so funny to me, as someone who's getting back into this after 8 years, because ten years ago I literally bought a 1200 because I couldn't afford a brand new Pro-Ject. Times change!

edit: speaking of which, I'm still using the Concorde cartridge it came with, including what I realize now is a mismatched Scratch stylus. What do people like these days, or am I better off just replacing the stylus?

What’s your budget? With a 1200 in good order the sky’s probably the limit in terms of good cartridges to try.

About $50 to $250 is probably the sweet spot in my opinion, that covers everything through the new AT range, the 2M Red and Blue, and stuff from other brands like Grado or Sumiko. Carts get way more expensive from there but I think at that point you start looking at diminishing returns and need to consider the quality of your other gear as well. Like once I’m dropping $1k on a cart I should already have rather expensive speakers and components.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you don't get an AT95E you're a tool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
So this might not be the perfect place to ask but I have a speaker build question.

I’m playing with the idea of devoting a weekend project at my parents’ to building a pair of desktop speakers to go with this tube amp (if worse comes to worst, I figure I can always pair it with a set of cheap Klipsch bookshelves, but I’m not looking to have this thing replace or replicate a SS amp so lets get stupid and weird, on a budget, pls)

I’m looking at the Fostex P1000-BH kitand am strongly considering making my own cabinets out of birch instead of buying the mdf ones and simply ordering the drivers (I would account for differences in internal volume).

However, sizing up to the 4.5” Fe126en driver would give me a slight improvement in sensitivity and a notable improvement in bass extension from the driver. The catch is that I can’t find any plans or resources for a small back loaded horn enclosure that would fit that driver that isn’t something like the BK12m or a variation on that design, which is like 3x the height of the PB1000bh.

If I take the PB1000bh cabinet design and increase the internal volume by 1.125x will that get me close enough or am I off-base here? The BK12m is way, way, way bigger than the PB1000bh and you’d think Fostex or somebody would have worked out a plan for something in between. I know that one can do the math to optimally figure out horn dimensions but :effort: (I’ll honestly probably try that next as the weekend in question approaches)

I really don’t want to build a basic bass reflex box if I can help it. This is as much about building something weird and cool looking/interesting sounding that I can put on my desk at work for relatively little money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So this might not be the perfect place to ask but I have a speaker build question.

I’m playing with the idea of devoting a weekend project at my parents’ to building a pair of desktop speakers to go with this tube amp (if worse comes to worst, I figure I can always pair it with a set of cheap Klipsch bookshelves, but I’m not looking to have this thing replace or replicate a SS amp so lets get stupid and weird, on a budget, pls)

I’m looking at the Fostex P1000-BH kitand am strongly considering making my own cabinets out of birch instead of buying the mdf ones and simply ordering the drivers (I would account for differences in internal volume).

However, sizing up to the 4.5” Fe126en driver would give me a slight improvement in sensitivity and a notable improvement in bass extension from the driver. The catch is that I can’t find any plans or resources for a small back loaded horn enclosure that would fit that driver that isn’t something like the BK12m or a variation on that design, which is like 3x the height of the PB1000bh.

If I take the PB1000bh cabinet design and increase the internal volume by 1.125x will that get me close enough or am I off-base here? The BK12m is way, way, way bigger than the PB1000bh and you’d think Fostex or somebody would have worked out a plan for something in between. I know that one can do the math to optimally figure out horn dimensions but :effort: (I’ll honestly probably try that next as the weekend in question approaches)

I really don’t want to build a basic bass reflex box if I can help it. This is as much about building something weird and cool looking/interesting sounding that I can put on my desk at work for relatively little money.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking...
But the page you linked gives you all the TSP info and even provides a schematic for how to build an optimal enclosure for the driver.

Are you saying you want to put a Fe126en driver in a shorter cabinet? It's totally possible but you'll have to compensate for the loss of backloading by making the cabinet deeper.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
$7.50 goodwill find. Realstic Minimus-77

Color of the week was yellow, and these were tagged yellow :)

I've already got a pair of them that I redid the surrounds on and they're pretty good.

I also have a pair of Minimus 11's which are great.

Minimus 7's which are okay, but not as good as the Minimus-77's

And Optimus Minimus 7's which are head and shoulders above the Minimus 7's, probably because they're ported so they have way better bass extension.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The minimus 7 in white is one of the best looking speakers ever made, IMO. I adore mine and I don’t care that the bass is bad. I’d totally use them for my desktop tube project if they weren’t so drat inefficient.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What’s your budget? With a 1200 in good order the sky’s probably the limit in terms of good cartridges to try.

About $50 to $250 is probably the sweet spot in my opinion, that covers everything through the new AT range, the 2M Red and Blue, and stuff from other brands like Grado or Sumiko. Carts get way more expensive from there but I think at that point you start looking at diminishing returns and need to consider the quality of your other gear as well. Like once I’m dropping $1k on a cart I should already have rather expensive speakers and components.

$100 or less? I’m not that dude with the $40k system (check the vinyl thread)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

$100 or less? I’m not that dude with the $40k system (check the vinyl thread)

$50- ATVM95e. This will give you an easy upgrade path all the way to AT’s microline and shibata styli if you want. But the next step up from this in the lineup is $100< unless you’re looking for a cart to play 78s.

$100- 2M Red. This gives you an upgrade path through the 2M range if you feel like spending that much.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The minimus 7s are cool because of the metal grill so they feel like you could club an intruder to death with one if you needed to

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have a pair of white 77s I was using as rear surround satellites, but sadly the woofer in one of them is blown and finding a new one that fits the enclosure is pretty difficult.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The minimus 7 is a speaker that you’re kind of afraid to say that you love until you figure out that everybody in the audio hobby either has a pair somewhere or knows somebody that does who swears by them (usually somebody’s dad).

Like Adam Savage of all people referred to them as “Tandy’s Great Mistake” on his YouTube channel at one point and proceeded to build a pair into a Star Trek captain’s chair project. I visited my best friend’s parents the other day and his dad had a pair in silver sitting out that he’d just randomly dug out of the attic. My dad has a pair that have served rear surround duty for literally my entire life, always at like a substantially lower volume than the fronts because they’re inefficient and quiet by comparison.

The Realistic Minimus 7 is the speaker equivalent of a vinyl copy of Rumours. Even if you don’t like that style of speaker it just materializes in your life.

-I will say that the standard bass-challenged model makes an awesome Zone 2/background/bedroom speaker anywhere where having big bass extension might get tiresome. It’s the perfect kitchen or dining room speaker, for example, and it’s tasteful and small and *vintage* so it tucks into your decor easily. It also pairs super, super well with an 8” sub.

—I will subsequently disclose that I’ve been using a pair in white as my main setup speakers for the last several months since my breakup forced me to downsize for a bit and put the HPMs/Yamaha into storage. I’d been meaning to post a picture for months but for now I’ll just say that I’m super happy with the setup and it sounds :iiniku: . The space is really small so the 12” woofers on the HPMs were really waaaay too much for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Wow, lots of love for the Minimus series up in here :3:

Left to right: Minimus 7, 77 white, 77, and 11.

I agree that the white looks so good, but I only have the 77's which is honestly fine by me. The 7's are just kinda sad sounding comparatively.
I wouldn't put any of them in audiophile territory, but they are great speakers. They feel like they're built like a tank. I take my 11's camping (they're already sorta beat up) and they do a great job of scaring off the bears. They're kinda heavy though at 10lbs each.
I just need a pair of Minimus 12's and I'd be all set.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So I got a weird new set of towers the other day, Chario Syntar 100's. Saw them in an ad online of a guy selling a low end 5.1 set up and they were sort of buried under. Offered him $160 CAD for just the towers if they worked and here we are. The low end is legitimately surprising considering it's a 3 way with 5" drivers (the third driver is downward firing and uses a chunk of the enclosure for porting). The guy told me he bought them in the Netherlands about 20 years ago for 1800 euros and was just moving into a smaller apartment and got a sound bar.

Going to use them for a while, they have a nice veneer and a nice, fast sound and fit the look of the room pretty well. Anyone here ever even heard of this brand? Euro goons most likely?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Never heard of them, but the manufacturer's website is quite retro.

Oddly, the price the guy paid seems vaguely in line with new prices of their new entry level towers, but second hand prices for those specific speakers top out at around €250 or so. That's quite a depreciation.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DoesNotCompute posted:

So I got a weird new set of towers the other day, Chario Syntar 100's. Saw them in an ad online of a guy selling a low end 5.1 set up and they were sort of buried under. Offered him $160 CAD for just the towers if they worked and here we are. The low end is legitimately surprising considering it's a 3 way with 5" drivers (the third driver is downward firing and uses a chunk of the enclosure for porting). The guy told me he bought them in the Netherlands about 20 years ago for 1800 euros and was just moving into a smaller apartment and got a sound bar.

Going to use them for a while, they have a nice veneer and a nice, fast sound and fit the look of the room pretty well. Anyone here ever even heard of this brand? Euro goons most likely?

Well they look rad. Also, where did you get that Pumpkins box set?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Flaggy posted:

Well they look rad. Also, where did you get that Pumpkins box set?

That's the deluxe MCIS re-release from a few years back. Both the CD and vinyl boxes looked the same but considering its under a turntable, its likely the vinyl version. There were a lot of pressing issues with that release and unfortunately it sounds like complete piss.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 29, 2019

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's the deluxe MCIS re-release from a few years back. Both the CD and vinyl boxes looked the same but considering its under a turntable, its likely the vinyl version. There were a lot of pressing issues with that release and unfortunately it sounds like complete piss.

I have always wanted that on vinyl, but looking at Discogs, I think I will stick with it on Spotify for now.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

It's not great, but I got it for a deal at a pawn shop for significantly less than what it goes for new and it doesn't seem to have ever been played. It's nice to own but I can't say I listen to it often.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Never heard of them, but the manufacturer's website is quite retro.

Oddly, the price the guy paid seems vaguely in line with new prices of their new entry level towers, but second hand prices for those specific speakers top out at around €250 or so. That's quite a depreciation.

Now I just want their new speakers, some of them look very very nice. Still stoked on the price I paid and how they sound though and it looks like they've held onto that downward firing driver design.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DoesNotCompute posted:

Now I just want their new speakers, some of them look very very nice. Still stoked on the price I paid and how they sound though and it looks like they've held onto that downward firing driver design.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply anything bad. They look pretty nice, and from the technobabble it sounds like they have actual acoustics engineers in their employ.

I was just wondering how much of a problem you end up having selling on upmarket speakers when the brand is fairly obscure.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Dug out the Concorde's I haven't even had a chance to use yet. I haven't really had a reason since ditching Serato, but I might give them a go just because of their looks.

Also, I had to bring some crap home from the office, so now the gang's all here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also, I had to bring some crap home from the office, so now the gang's all here!

the “speaker porn” version of an interracial gangbang