Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

RZA Encryption posted:

Lol, I tried but couldn't replicate. I got "hour", "radio", and "photographer".

This is weird! Cleared data for Gboard, didn't go into the settings at all. Typed 'amateur', and got 'hour', 'radio', and 'photographer'. Went into the settings, turned personalisation off and changed the theme to the dark one I was using. Got 'blonde', 'girl', and 'brunette'! The only conclusion to be drawn is that dark themes are for deviants (or it's another baffling Google quirk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Gboard just autocorrected "work" to "sorry". I'm done, Swiftkey time.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
At least it's trying to apologize to you!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Gboard just autocorrected "work" to "sorry". I'm done, Swiftkey time.

Don't see the problem here.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Maybe Deepmind knows you better than you know yourselves.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Also is it just me, or is the accuracy of gboard way the gently caress off, with no way to tighten it up?

I have it set to show individual keys and it's still bad at its job and suggests words with keys i wasn't even near to sliding over.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mister Facetious posted:

Also is it just me, or is the accuracy of gboard way the gently caress off, with no way to tighten it up?

I have it set to show individual keys and it's still bad at its job and suggests words with keys i wasn't even near to sliding over.

it comes and goes, probably due to large sweeping changes in the algorithm that google uses. right now its in one of those "not great" swings.

its not just you.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This is why I ended up going back to Swype via APKMirror.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's just that I swear it was more accurate when I had my Nexus 5, and I just want to be sure it's not :corsair: nostalgia

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Actually, Gboard owns, guys

FunOne posted:

They've also started doing multiword recommendations and corrections so sometimes it'll go back two or three words and change what it put in based on what you added afterwards. Sometimes it makes more sense to just plow forward and see if it fixes itself.

Always bet against goons.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SwiftKey is good, I like it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

anakha posted:

This is why I ended up going back to Swype via APKMirror.

It's why I never uninstalled it, gBoard has always done this wild oscillation between okay and terrible. We're just in the terrible phase.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

SwiftKey is good, I like it.

Does it have gif search built in?

Because that's basically my favorite Android feature of all time; on demand meme searches.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mister Facetious posted:

Does it have gif search built in?

Because that's basically my favorite Android feature of all time; on demand meme searches.

This is me typing in gif search into the gif search search box to see what gifs it searches for.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
More samsung stuff:

- VoLTE was toggled off by default, as was wifi calling. (unlocked s10)
- Atmos sound was also toggled off by default, I think the 9 had it on. Maybe that's a pie thing.
- Samsung has a free gesture app (one hand operation +) so I changed my back gesture into a swipe from anywhere on the right edge swiping left instead of the swipe up to go back from the bottom of the phone default. Much much better. Apparently, this is how it works on iphones too...(and webos, rip)
-I've always been jealous of a hardware mute switch since having sounds on my phone can get me fired so I was able to remap to a "vibrate only mode" with a single press of the bixby key from inside bixby for once without some 3rd party service running. I can share the routine page for that if anyone else wants, it just kicks media volume/system volume into vibrate which saves me the quickpress or volume button press/finger slide. In a perfect world you could remap both single press and double press and have it restore the full sound on double press..but hey, baby steps?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

More samsung stuff:

- VoLTE was toggled off by default, as was wifi calling. (unlocked s10)

This is a carrier thing, not Samsung.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
for people that pre-ordered the S10 and redeemed the offer for the free galaxy buds, did you see an option for selecting the color? They're available in black, white, and yellow. When I registered, it only asked me for my name and address

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pretty sure the free ones are white world wide (mine were.)

For what it's worth, despite having much worse bass, I like the Galaxy Buds over my Bang and Olaufson E8s due to comfort and ease of use. The E8s are great but a pain to set up and a pain to get to sit right in my ears. The E8s also block out all sound, which I'm not a big fan of in combination with city living.

Having white buds is nice too because in theory more people will notice I'm wearing them before talking.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Ceramic Black S10+ = best looking device made

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zer0spunk posted:

-I've always been jealous of a hardware mute switch since having sounds on my phone can get me fired so I was able to remap to a "vibrate only mode" with a single press of the bixby key from inside bixby for once without some 3rd party service running. I can share the routine page for that if anyone else wants, it just kicks media volume/system volume into vibrate which saves me the quickpress or volume button press/finger slide. In a perfect world you could remap both single press and double press and have it restore the full sound on double press..but hey, baby steps?

The Motorola Cliq was, by all accounts, a terrible device, but it had two good things: a hardware keyboard and a mute switch.

The Pixel 3 will change to vibration mode if you press volume up and power at the same time, so that's pretty cool.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So it's been 3 days since I put my money where my mouth is and bought a phone with a dang keyboard - the Blackberry Key2. So here are my thoughts and feelings so far!

I got the silver version, and first things first it looks and feels like a premium device. I LOVE the textured back, it feels so nice touch. I seriously don't want to put a case on this!

Obviously the main draw of this phone is the keyboard, and I love it! Typing is a bit slower right now cos I'm still getting used to it but accuracy is much higher than I get bashing away on Swiftkey. You can swipe up for predictions which is nice, swipe back to delete and add words easily to your dictionary. It's just fun to type, and another thing I really like is that the screen doesn't move and lose your position when you tap a touch box for instance. Writing scripts is actually do-able now.

The keyboard shortcuts are super awesome. W for Whatsapp, G for Gmail, A for Awful, it's much faster to navigate around. Plus you can use the Speedkey to open an app from inside another app, map the currency key to show notifications, map the convenience key to Home, and it's a productivity beast.

It's also fun to swipe on the keyboard to scroll on pages/the Awful app etc.

So far this thing is super snappy too, no lag, everything pops up quick, nothing is getting kicked out of RAM.

I haven't taken many photos cos I'm not a super photo person but they seem alright (in daylight anyways).

The fingerprint sensor on the space bar is super responsive and always works.

The battery life is INSANE. I can see getting 2 days out of this with moderate use.

I have never used a Blackberry before, so probably won't be using the note or calendar apps cos I'm invested in Google, but they seem nice and it's really really good of them to include Dark themes for everything. Pull your finger out, Google!

Also it comes with APTX, which was a nice surprise.

So that's my mini-review, very happy with this phone!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

for people that pre-ordered the S10 and redeemed the offer for the free galaxy buds, did you see an option for selecting the color? They're available in black, white, and yellow. When I registered, it only asked me for my name and address
Over here, I registered my device, and the next page it immediately told me my "benefit" is white Galaxy Buds. No color choice. I suppose they want them to get noticed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Over here, I registered my device, and the next page it immediately told me my "benefit" is white Galaxy Buds. No color choice. I suppose they want them to get noticed.

You would think they want people to recognize them as more distinct than air pods.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

So it's been 3 days since I put my money where my mouth is and bought a phone with a dang keyboard - the Blackberry Key2. So here are my thoughts and feelings so far!

I got the silver version, and first things first it looks and feels like a premium device. I LOVE the textured back, it feels so nice touch. I seriously don't want to put a case on this!

Obviously the main draw of this phone is the keyboard, and I love it! Typing is a bit slower right now cos I'm still getting used to it but accuracy is much higher than I get bashing away on Swiftkey. You can swipe up for predictions which is nice, swipe back to delete and add words easily to your dictionary. It's just fun to type, and another thing I really like is that the screen doesn't move and lose your position when you tap a touch box for instance. Writing scripts is actually do-able now.

The keyboard shortcuts are super awesome. W for Whatsapp, G for Gmail, A for Awful, it's much faster to navigate around. Plus you can use the Speedkey to open an app from inside another app, map the currency key to show notifications, map the convenience key to Home, and it's a productivity beast.

It's also fun to swipe on the keyboard to scroll on pages/the Awful app etc.

So far this thing is super snappy too, no lag, everything pops up quick, nothing is getting kicked out of RAM.

I haven't taken many photos cos I'm not a super photo person but they seem alright (in daylight anyways).

The fingerprint sensor on the space bar is super responsive and always works.

The battery life is INSANE. I can see getting 2 days out of this with moderate use.

I have never used a Blackberry before, so probably won't be using the note or calendar apps cos I'm invested in Google, but they seem nice and it's really really good of them to include Dark themes for everything. Pull your finger out, Google!

Also it comes with APTX, which was a nice surprise.

So that's my mini-review, very happy with this phone!

I'm glad to hear that and hope blackberry comes back in legit way!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm glad to hear that and hope blackberry comes back in legit way!

Same.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mango sentinel posted:

You would think they want people to recognize them as more distinct than air pods.
I don't know. The typical compact BT in-ear headset seems to be black. Maybe they think that black ones go unnoticed as just another model. I'd rather have black ones.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Give me whacky pixel power button color ear buds. I'll never lose them and they will have some character

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

couldcareless posted:

Give me whacky pixel power button color ear buds. I'll never lose them and they will have some character

One of the main reasons I miss my headphone jack is using my colorful ear buds.

My white Pixel wired pair is turning black from dirty and yellow from oil. They sure do look pretty!

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I gave up on my wired pixel buds because they're useless for exercising, the controller on the cord does not like perspiration at all and will just randomly trigger the buttons until it's wiped down.

Luckily I used my $50 credit for buying a new Pixel3 to purchase the Method Wireless earbuds from the Google store. Way better investment.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
In the two hours I've been using it, the Samsung keyboard is surprisingly accurate with swiping, AND it has gif search.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
My pixel XL managed to melt another charging cable, so I'm looking for a replacement phone. Looking for something with at least 4GB ram, headphone jack, reasonably quick security updates, and at least equivalent to current mid-range specs for everything else. I'm currently looking at the nokia 7.1, but the new samsungs look nice but are way more expensive. Are there any other current models I should look at?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

gwrtheyrn posted:

My pixel XL managed to melt another charging cable, so I'm looking for a replacement phone. Looking for something with at least 4GB ram, headphone jack, reasonably quick security updates, and at least equivalent to current mid-range specs for everything else. I'm currently looking at the nokia 7.1, but the new samsungs look nice but are way more expensive. Are there any other current models I should look at?

What country are you in, and do you want contract or buy outright on the phone?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What country are you in, and do you want contract or buy outright on the phone?

USA, buy unlocked for AT&T

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
After half a day with the S10 my only complaint is the fingerprint scanner not being quite as snappy as the one on my S8 but it's such a minor complaint compared to how much better the phone is overall. The display is seriously amazing and the hole punch front camera isnt nearly as bothersome as any garbage notch on other phones. Props to Samsung for doing something different, though I would love a model that eliminated the front facing camera completely, it's something I never use.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Forgive the intrusion, but I am brand new to Android, just moved from iPhone 6s to a Pixel 3, and now I can't stream spotify to my lovely old car radio via USB like I used to be able to do. I'm also dumb.

I have a Kenwood KDC-MP342u stereo in my lovely old Honda Civic. With my iPhone, I'd just plug the USB in and it would start playing some songs from my iTunes, and then I'd just start playing Spotify or Stitcher or whatever I was listening to and it would play just fine. Now, when I plug the USB in from my Pixel, it just says "READING... READING" forever and nothing happens. I don't have any songs downloaded onto my phone yet, so maybe it needs have those to find first before it can stream apps? I have to activate Google Music or something maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Your radio only knows about iPods (and by extension iPhones) so isn't going to work with an Android phone.

Good news is that because it's a normal single DIN unit it's trivial to replace with a more modern one with Bluetooth.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My Pixel 3 is a bitch for chasing apps out of memory. Awful and the Phone app are frequent victims, but maybe it's down to me using Nova launcher. Is 4GB RAM really not sufficient on Android these days or am I just unlucky?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Steve Vader posted:

I have a Kenwood KDC-MP342u stereo in my lovely old Honda Civic.
Have you tried this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My Pixel 3 is a bitch for chasing apps out of memory. Awful and the Phone app are frequent victims, but maybe it's down to me using Nova launcher. Is 4GB RAM really not sufficient on Android these days or am I just unlucky?

The Pixel 3 is having a remarkably bad time with memory bugs. It's enough, Google just sucks rear end at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

butt dickus posted:

Have you tried this?

Yeah. It has found music files I guess I transferred over from my iPhone, but it still won't play even those, much less give me streaming options. The settings show me this.

EDIT. Gotta find a photo editing app that will let me shrink a screenshot to post here. But yeah, that app isn't doing much for me.

Steve Vader fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 10, 2019