Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah alrighty, I guess wonky stuff will happen when they use it mostly to determine which characters to focus on for the mobile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If I've learned anything from Shonen Jump's character popularity polls it's that Japan has never liked any character in fiction that wasn't the protagonist, their mentor, or one of their best friends.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For the record, Sage Match and Hubba Tester are both purely for flavor text, and are completely random every time you open their respective menus. So you can just forget them if you want.

The Library thing is full of spoilers on the overall plot if you can parse it. I'm not gonna give any hints on that front, precisely because of that.

Joke weapons are surprisingly effective, though they also tend to have considerable drawbacks; for example, that Pine Branch Sakura gave you is a D-rank Lance with a ridiculous amount of attack power for its rank if you can manage to hit with it, the problem being that its accuracy is among the worst in the entire game.

Bit of advice on shopping: Your party members can potentially man shops. If they do, you get a discount on their class's primary weapon; for example, an Oni Savage would make weapons that use Axe skill a bit cheaper to buy, while a Maid would discount the Staff skill. It's apparently a fairly small percentage, though (I forgot how much so I tried looking it up; apparently it's 5%?), so I wouldn't blame you if you ignore this mechanic.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Regarding character Polls, Namco had to remove Yuri from all Tales character Polls because he would always win in a landslide. Makes me wonder why we don't see more characters like him.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

It doesn't hurt that Robin (especially the female version) actually had a pretty fun character and good supports and isn't a loving moron.

The plot twist where the main character secretly did behind the scenes exactly the smart thing you'd been yelling at them to do was a legitimately cool plot twist.

The idea JRPGs have that the main character has to be a loving moron to be relatable is so weird to me. I'd almost handwave it as some fundamental cultural difference in how Japanese story telling relates to it's audience vs. western wish fulfillment, but yeah, like you say, aren't characters like Yuri fan favorites pretty much universally?

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
Well most shounens are aimed at young boys, and young boys are the dumbest people on the planet

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
yeah the third route is the "golden ending" so it just becomes a eugenic fuckfest

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: video :frogsiren:
Ep 07 - A Vow Upheld

prob shoulda cut the first 3 mins or so out of this video but whatever

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 8, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BioMe posted:

The plot twist where the main character secretly did behind the scenes exactly the smart thing you'd been yelling at them to do was a legitimately cool plot twist.

What was that again? I don't recall.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Everyone's arms are longer than their legs and it's weirding me out

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Everyone's arms are longer than their legs and it's weirding me out

I didn't notice that before.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm guessing the reveal where robin says "Well actually, those gems I handed you in this obvious trap were all fakes. Also Chrom is alive. And Basilio. You suck"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

They put a trap card down in chapter 11 and it's not until chapter 24 until you reveal it and undermine every plan they've been using on you since they've been tricked the entire time.

It's a real Revolver Ocelot move.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
One of the alarming things that the commentators didn't seem to notice: It is perfectly possible for Chome and Sakura to reach S-Rank Support. This has more-or-less the effect you'd expect on their relationship.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CptWedgie posted:

One of the alarming things that the commentators didn't seem to notice: It is perfectly possible for Chome and Sakura to reach S-Rank Support. This has more-or-less the effect you'd expect on their relationship.

She invites chome to her birthday party?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The changes to the Support system since Awakening are quite good, broadly. It used to be the case that every unit had a fairly limited number of other units they could support with, each of which could have three conversations, and a unit could only see five conversations total in a playthrough, so you could only ever see one of the A-rank conversations from each unit. Now, every unit can support with basically every other unit, and there's no limit on how many A-ranks you can have. But they can also get an S-rank support (ie, marriage), with one unit. In Awakening, this necessarily had to be a unit of the opposite gender, because Awakening was all about genetically engineering your child soldier army, and the child would have all the class options of the parents. In Fates there aren't children and units instead can learn their partner's class, so you can now become partners with anyone... except they always call it "partner" and S-rank when it's opposite-gender and always call it "friend" and A+-rank when it's same-gender, because god forbid we ever let those icky gays have anything ever.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 9, 2019

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Fedule posted:

The changes to the Support system since Awakening are quite good, broadly. It used to be the case that every unit had a fairly limited number of other units they could support with, each of which could have three conversations, and a unit could only see five conversations total in a playthrough, so you could only ever see one of the A-rank conversations from each unit. Now, every unit can support with basically every other unit, and there's no limit on how many A-ranks you can have. But they can also get an S-rank support (ie, marriage), with one unit. In Awakening, this necessarily had to be a unit of the opposite gender, because Awakening was all about genetically engineering your child soldier army, and the child would have all the class options of the parents. In Fates there aren't children and units instead can learn their partner's class, so you can now become partners with anyone... except they always call it "partner" and S-rank when it's opposite-gender and always call it "friend" and A+-rank when it's same-gender, because god forbid we ever let those icky gays have anything ever.

What? There are children in Fates. Every male character in the army has a child and the females determine stats, classes, and most importantly, hair color.

Also Fates does have a same-sex marriage option for the mc. One for each gender.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 9, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Fedule posted:

In Fates there aren't children

Hm? There are 19 kids in Fates, with the main difference from Awakenings being that it's the children are linked to the father, instead of the mother in most cases.

The fantasy incest eugenics simulator still went full speed ahead for this title, just like Awakenings.

e: Beaten.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 9, 2019

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Fedule posted:

In Fates there aren't children and units instead can learn their partner's class, so you can now become partners with anyone... except they always call it "partner" and S-rank when it's opposite-gender and always call it "friend" and A+-rank when it's same-gender, because god forbid we ever let those icky gays have anything ever.

This isn't quite accurate. Every character (with certain exceptions) can have an S support and an A+ support at the same time; S is marriage to an opposite sex character and makes a kid, while A+ is 'Best friends' or whatever with a same-sex character and siblings without a conversation. Both S and A+ give the option to change to the character's main class, with certain exceptions e.g. even if Kaze marries Azura, you can't change his class to Songstress, as the class is exclusive to her, so you instead get to change him to her secondary class, Sky Knight, and Chome's wife can't become a Nohr Prince/ess, so they can change to Oni Savage instead, as that's what you chose his secondary class to be.

The exception to this is Chome, who doesn't have A+ supports and can change to the class of any same-sex character they have an A support with, besides the 2 gay options.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SubNat posted:

Hm? There are 19 kids in Fates, with the main difference from Awakenings being that it's the children are linked to the father, instead of the mother in most cases.

I can't believe Fates is an mpreg simulator

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
oh lol I actually didn't know this. Somehow. I never got around to Fates and somehow this has never, ever, come up in conversations I've had. I always figured they were done with that notion and that was why we now had the system mentioned in this video.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 9, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

To be fair, I wouldn't blame anyone for blocking out the existence of the fates kids from their memory.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Really Pants posted:

I can't believe Fates is an mpreg simulator

Fire Emblem characters, like seahorses, mate for life. (And the dudes get pregnant)
Time travel anime mpreg simulator, thank you very much.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If someone ever LPs that Revelation path (and it's really the 'recruit everyone' route) the thread title should be 'We are family! I got all my sisters with me!'

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyway instead of continuing to talk about the thing I don't actually know anything about I'm going to go to something that I do know, which is that I really, really hope they don't try to bring back the second generation mechanic for Three Houses. I hope they just let it go. By all means keep the support thing, since they have the writers to write all that, and maybe keep the thing where supports can turn into full-on capital R Relationships, and then, just, like, have that be it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Given how roundly mocked the way Fates did children was and given what we know of Three Houses' setting and cast so far I'd bet on them putting that mechanic on the backburner for a while

Like even among the many things to mock for Fates the way they handled the kids stood out

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 9, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, it was kind of interesting in Awakenings, since it was plot related, but it's an utterly bizarre mechanic on it's own.
But just like the weird YXX-YXXX year olds that look like young girls, they'll probably keep it around for a while more to satisfy the people that like it.

Also y'all can date Kaze if you want. (If you have homebrew so that you can install the extended same sex marriage mod / fanfiction mod.
No kids though, because the inclusion of canon same sex couples means they added parent gender checks to the paralogues/kids, unlike in Awakening. And you'd have to hex-edit one of the parents to get a kid. :pseudo:)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

"I don't know but I'm sure someone once I post the thread will be very eager to tell us who we can/cannot date and marry"

I cannot wait until we get to the point where talking about this won't be spoilers because it might be the single dumbest part of this game.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I don’t know what to expect ever because I’ve been proven many times that people in Japan have the worst taste on Earth. Stuff like mobile phone games and pachinko and dating sims, poison to the soul.

Anyway, you’re now in the game proper, so gameplay will be getting better. Nothing else will get better though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hope they never bring the kids mechanic back, except when they are ballsy enough to kill off the parents like they did in FE4.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

SubNat posted:

Yeah, it was kind of interesting in Awakenings, since it was plot related, but it's an utterly bizarre mechanic on it's own.
But just like the weird YXX-YXXX year olds that look like young girls, they'll probably keep it around for a while more to satisfy the people that like it.

Also y'all can date Kaze if you want. (If you have homebrew so that you can install the extended same sex marriage mod / fanfiction mod.
No kids though, because the inclusion of canon same sex couples means they added parent gender checks to the paralogues/kids, unlike in Awakening. And you'd have to hex-edit one of the parents to get a kid. :pseudo:)

I think there's actually an additional hack packaged in with that fan patch that unlocks all the paralogues, thereby enabling Anime Child Soldier Army without any hex editing. You just do the marriage before the corresponding paralogue to get the hair color/stat stuff passed down.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

melodicwaffle posted:

I think there's actually an additional hack packaged in with that fan patch that unlocks all the paralogues, thereby enabling Anime Child Soldier Army without any hex editing. You just do the marriage before the corresponding paralogue to get the hair color/stat stuff passed down.

There is, though if I remember right due to some fiddly technical issue with how the game keeps track of parents if you do it that way instead of via hex editing and a same-sex pairing ends up with multiple kids, it doesn't recognize them as siblings and gives them the wrong supports with each other.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Both of those are extremely correct, I kind of forgot about just unlocking the paralogues, because I didn't feel like perpetually looking up which one was the correct one for which pairing, not wanting to trigger incorrect ones early. Because in Fates they'd just be a huge list to scroll through.

Also I did not want to play Fates enough to support grind multiple people to get kids anyhow in it. I did enough of that in Awakenings.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Whamukars posted:

After drinking box wine I remembered that certain plot points (the story not Shinzo Abe gently caress-anime plot points)are determined by how much you A-rank (NOT the gently caress rank) certain characters

Okay it's clear to me now that no one on this ride is going in more than half-blind, so this is actually probably going to be relevant to the LP because it's a really stupid design decision and I think it might be worth knowing that to raise any given support rank (mechanical spoiler) the two characters need to fight next to each other/paired up 4 times each in two maps. Which is a oversimplification of "you need 4 points per rank, you get half a point for fighting together, you have a cap of 3 points per map".

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: a video :frogsiren:
Ep 08 - A Vow Upheld (part 2)

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

booksnake posted:

Okay it's clear to me now that no one on this ride is going in more than half-blind, so this is actually probably going to be relevant to the LP because it's a really stupid design decision and I think it might be worth knowing that to raise any given support rank (mechanical spoiler) the two characters need to fight next to each other/paired up 4 times each in two maps. Which is a oversimplification of "you need 4 points per rank, you get half a point for fighting together, you have a cap of 3 points per map".

By our third or fourth session we've more or less started the shipping procedures

That may be a few episodes away though

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
With the way you guys thought Subaki was dead to that one archer, you are vastly overestimating this game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Maid/Barbarian an option?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

okay, after seeing the desire to make the greatest battle maid I think I need to give fair warning that maids are a promoted class, so she's gonna take a lot more to level than basically anyone else currently in the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

okay, after seeing the desire to make the greatest battle maid I think I need to give fair warning that maids are a promoted class, so she's gonna take a lot more to level than basically anyone else currently in the party
Felicia is a weird exception, she counts as an unpromoted unit exp-wise and can level to 40 in Maid instead of the usual 20/20.