Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Is there a DBAN alternative that can boot from USB, and preferably does SSDs?

I’ve tried everything under the sun to get it to boot from USB with no luck.

I could probably do it manually, but I’ve got about 20 drives to wipe and can only do 4 disks at a time. A plug in and wait tool would save me so much time.

I’d even be happy to shell out a few quid if needs be.

A hammer. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

If you can wait a while

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/redkey-usb-computer-data-wipe-tool--2

Red key has a new version coming out in july

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Horse Clocks posted:

Is there a DBAN alternative that can boot from USB, and preferably does SSDs?

I’ve tried everything under the sun to get it to boot from USB with no luck.

I could probably do it manually, but I’ve got about 20 drives to wipe and can only do 4 disks at a time. A plug in and wait tool would save me so much time.

I’d even be happy to shell out a few quid if needs be.

Don't run dban on a SSD. You're looking for a secure erase utility.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Please let me know if there is a better thread to ask.

I have an unused Pi3 and I would like to use it as a bluetooth receiver for a stereo. The idea bring I will plug the headphone output of the Pi3 into the input of the stereo and then the WIFE and I can stream music from our Smart Phones.

Is anyone aware of a Pi-friendly distro or image that will magically "out of the box" do this for me or will I have to start with fedora and manually set it all up?

It would be cool if it booted fast as piss so I can keep it off when not in use.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Matt Zerella posted:

Don't run dban on a SSD. You're looking for a secure erase utility.

I was just looking around at dban to see if it had ever been updated. Why is it not good for SSDs?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I was just looking around at dban to see if it had ever been updated. Why is it not good for SSDs?
It probably just uses dd or something but you need to use the ata secure erase command for SSDs.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

SSDs don't expose all of their onboard storage to the computer. They keep quite a bit of it in reserve for various reasons (and constantly shift which storage blocks are reserved or in-use) which means that even if you "fill" the SSD with random data there may still be data on the SSD in the reserved area that wasn't overwritten. In contrast, if you issue an ATA Secure Erase command to the SSD's onboard controller it will be able to securely overwrite all the data on the SSD.

You can use the hdparm utility with a bootable Linux USB stick to secure erase the drive. Here is a tutorial on how to do so.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 24, 2019

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for giving me a few ideas thread

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Can you tcpdump the machine? Maybe it is doing something network related which went TITSUP when your fibre went down.

I used tcpdump on the linux server and wireshark on a windows box at different times to see if I can spot anything obvious.
  • Noticed ssh traffic was IPv6, just on a whim I temporarily disabled it and only used 4. All SSH lag disappeared. :sigh:
  • There was no change to smb traffic, it didn't appear to use v6? Maybe it is disabled by default or something and requires exta config, either way didn't matter, it wasn't the problem.
  • I don't really know how CIFS work so I was mostly just going in blind, but I noticed that when the delay is really long it's spamming FILE_*_INFO commands and the packets were in flight for a long time, but once the file contents starting coming down the pipe it would saturate the full ethernet speed, copy speeds were never had a problem and always copied at full speed.
  • Samba would sometimes just randomly work at full speed like it used to, they would be no delay and there would just be a "normal" amount of FILE_INFOs
  • I read up on performance related config options for samba and made some adjustments, no change.

I played around for a bit, Googling and such but it was mostly just unhelpful noise because so many people have problems with basic samba config. In the end I gave up and installed debian stable, restored config files and everything is now working fine. Glad it works now but sort of annoyed I won't know the root cause, I'm not really smart enough to have kept investigating further.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

other people posted:

Please let me know if there is a better thread to ask.

I have an unused Pi3 and I would like to use it as a bluetooth receiver for a stereo. The idea bring I will plug the headphone output of the Pi3 into the input of the stereo and then the WIFE and I can stream music from our Smart Phones.

Is anyone aware of a Pi-friendly distro or image that will magically "out of the box" do this for me or will I have to start with fedora and manually set it all up?

It would be cool if it booted fast as piss so I can keep it off when not in use.

The dedicated Pi thread probably knows - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468084&perpage=40&pagenumber=172

You can also search for AirPlay on Raspberry Pi there this one doesn’t look bad- https://thepi.io/how-to-set-up-a-raspberry-pi-airplay-receiver/

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 25, 2019

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’m betting some weird rdns lookup on ipv6.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. I have a question.

I have files in Folder A that can't be moved.

I want them also in Folder B but without copying. I believe this is a Symlink?

The other hitch is I can't rename the ones in Folder A but need to rename the Folder B ones.

Is this even possible?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I have a question.

The other hitch is I can't rename the ones in Folder A but need to rename the Folder B ones.

Is this even possible?

code:
ln -s <full path>/FolderA/foo FolderB/bar
This will create link called "bar" to "foo". You can rename "bar" and move "bar". The link will still work if you have created the link initially by providing the full path. If you have created the link by specifying the target as a relative path the moving the link may break it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I have a question.

Is this even possible?

I use hardlinks for files where the original needs to remain in the same structure for rsync from elsewhere, but still want to organize and rename things elsewhere.

code:
ln source/crapFileName some/other/dir/nice.file.name
Also here is an alias that I like to use in my .bashrc to find files that haven't been hardlinked yet
code:
# find files without hard links
alias nolinks='clear && find . -type f -links 1'
Then just run nolinks in Folder A

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved
Hardlinks can be tricky to keep track of. Updating the source by truncating and overwriting the data will update the hardlink. If the file is unlinked and a new file in its place (inode changes as with say package updates), then the hardlink becomes a new file and no longer refers to the original file. Two copies of the file will exist each with different checksums.

Have you looked into overlayfs? Files will retain the same names as the lower read-only layers and only duplicate when you modify them. If the files change in the original directory they'll change in your directory so long as you haven't modified the file.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just for clarity, the difference between a softlink and a hardlink is that a hardlink isn't really a link at all: it creates another equally real name for the same underlying file. On the other hand, a softlink is more like a Windows shortcut: it's basically a magic file that contains a path.

This leads to some differences. You can create a softlink to anywhere, including files on other file systems, or nonexistent ones, or even entirely invalid paths. On the other hand, hardlinks only work within one file system, and you can only make one if the target exists and is a file (as opposed to, say, a directory).

If you delete a softlink, you just delete the link. If you delete the file it points to, you now have a link that points to nothing, much like a broken Windows shortcut. On the other hand, deleting a hardlink or the original is equivalent : both deletes one of the names of the file. (There no way to distinguish the "original" name). Every file has a "link count" of how many names it has, and it lives on as long as the count is above zero. (Holding a file open in a program also ups the link count, so if you delete the last name of an open file, it lives on anonymously until it's closed.)

Also, see the funkiness mentioned above about what happens when you replace hardlinked files.

As for "how", ln basically works like cp (the arguments are in the same order, something I've never been happy about how the manage explains). Use ln -s if you want to make a softlink; the default is hardlinks.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 1, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
e: nm

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I've got trouble getting my Sega Saturn controller to work under Ubuntu 18.04. Basically it's connected to this converter that plugs into USB, and Windows recognizes it just fine. But in Linux, the d-pad sends multiple signals with one push, it's all over the place. Also it gets recognised as ""HuiJia USB GamePad", whatever that is.

output from evtest if I press left on the d-pad

quote:

Event: time 1551771064.690346, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value -1
Event: time 1551771064.690346, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90010
Event: time 1551771064.690346, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 303 (BTN_DEAD), value 1
Event: time 1551771064.690346, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.698368, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.698368, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.706345, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value -1
Event: time 1551771064.706345, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.714367, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.714367, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.722362, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value -1
Event: time 1551771064.722362, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.730368, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.730368, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.738370, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value -1
Event: time 1551771064.738370, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.746342, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.746342, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.754372, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value -1
Event: time 1551771064.754372, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.762341, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.762341, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.770370, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value -1
Event: time 1551771064.770370, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.778346, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.778346, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.786359, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value -1
Event: time 1551771064.786359, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.794366, type 3 (EV_ABS), code 16 (ABS_HAT0X), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.794366, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771064.802347, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90010
Event: time 1551771064.802347, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 303 (BTN_DEAD), value 0
Event: time 1551771064.802347, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

this is what happens when I press a button, for comparison

quote:

Event: time 1551771108.081478, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90001
Event: time 1551771108.081478, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 288 (BTN_TRIGGER), value 1
Event: time 1551771108.081478, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1551771108.145505, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value 90001
Event: time 1551771108.145505, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 288 (BTN_TRIGGER), value 0
Event: time 1551771108.145505, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mike12345 posted:

I've got trouble getting my Sega Saturn controller to work under Ubuntu 18.04. Basically it's connected to this converter that plugs into USB, and Windows recognizes it just fine. But in Linux, the d-pad sends multiple signals with one push, it's all over the place. Also it gets recognised as ""HuiJia USB GamePad", whatever that is.

output from evtest if I press left on the d-pad

this is what happens when I press a button, for comparison

'HuiJia' is going to be whatever rando Chinese company made your converter, a 'USB GamePad' is presumably what it's making the controller look like (basically a USB HID device), and quite possibly it's el cheapo enough to not debounce the switches, so you would need to do that in the HID driver, and Windows does that and Linux doesn't?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, that would be my guess as well -- maybe it's debouncing the buttons in hardware but not the d-pad?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Whoa, DXVK and Wine sure seem to start going to places. I saw DXVK mentioned somewhere today and went looking for footage on Youtube. Metro Exodus, Anthem, Apex Legends, Dirt Rally 2, Far Cry Primal and so on? Seemed all relatively smooth.

Will DXVK do anything for regular applications using Direct3D for rendering stuff?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I've dabbled in VTd passthrough with a Fedora host and Win10 guest in the past.

A couple of weeks ago I tried the whole Proton/DXVK/Steam thing on Ubuntu (https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK)

It's really, really impressive to a casual gamer like me. I found Rise of the Tomb Raider to be almost the same as Windows, Witcher 3 was great and GTA-V was very playable, with the odd graphical glitch now and then.

I don't know why Canonical don't get behind it and create Steambuntu or something, to make it simplistic for the Windows crowd to download an ISO, install, use the GUI package manager, reboot and start gaming.

There's also a handy site, here, for people ranking which Windows games play nicest.

https://www.protondb.com/

I think that there's a good bit of variation on how people's particular systems handle certain games at the moment, but it can only get more refined as the compatibility layers improve.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Whoa, DXVK and Wine sure seem to start going to places. I saw DXVK mentioned somewhere today and went looking for footage on Youtube. Metro Exodus, Anthem, Apex Legends, Dirt Rally 2, Far Cry Primal and so on? Seemed all relatively smooth.

Will DXVK do anything for regular applications using Direct3D for rendering stuff?

Maybe it is just me but 3d acceleration on Linux doesn't feel as smooth as it does on Windows. It is the reason I am dual booting my Windows 10 installation for Blender and Unity even though they have Linux packages.

Is there a sure-fire way to test if everything is accelerated as it should?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Looking for a good resource on Vim here.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Woof Blitzer posted:

Vimadventures.com

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Woof Blitzer posted:

e: nm, domain owner of vim.dev ruined the joke

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Maybe it is just me but 3d acceleration on Linux doesn't feel as smooth as it does on Windows. It is the reason I am dual booting my Windows 10 installation for Blender and Unity even though they have Linux packages.

Is there a sure-fire way to test if everything is accelerated as it should?

glxinfo|less

glxgears

are your cards modules loaded (lsmod)?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

glxinfo|less

glxgears

are your cards modules loaded (lsmod)?

It all works, it just feels "off". Blender feels more sluggish with viewport updates etc. etc.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

RFC2324 posted:

Vimadventures.com

Dead rear end link homie.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

apropos man posted:

I've dabbled in VTd passthrough with a Fedora host and Win10 guest in the past.

A couple of weeks ago I tried the whole Proton/DXVK/Steam thing on Ubuntu (https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK)

It's really, really impressive to a casual gamer like me. I found Rise of the Tomb Raider to be almost the same as Windows, Witcher 3 was great and GTA-V was very playable, with the odd graphical glitch now and then.

I don't know why Canonical don't get behind it and create Steambuntu or something, to make it simplistic for the Windows crowd to download an ISO, install, use the GUI package manager, reboot and start gaming.

There's also a handy site, here, for people ranking which Windows games play nicest.

https://www.protondb.com/

I think that there's a good bit of variation on how people's particular systems handle certain games at the moment, but it can only get more refined as the compatibility layers improve.

It's worth noting that the persistent problem with wine and everything after it has been it's always about one generation behind "current" if this doesn't matter to you then it seems to work fine.
That said I found that pass through was a fine experience as long as you don't care about dealing with the overhead of desktop virtualization. (Not performance, but the issue of having 2 "computers" 2 sets of files, 2 oses to configure poo poo on, etc.)

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

e: nm, domain owner of vim.dev ruined the joke

emacs.dev still points to vim, so I guess the vim guys own that one.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

It all works, it just feels "off". Blender feels more sluggish with viewport updates etc. etc.

Maybe it depends on your desktop environment. One of the things that bugged me in gnome and in cinnamon was that feeling of sluggishness. KDE is much much more snappy and responsive. Or go with a light DE (openbox is as light as they can be) and try Blender. If it works nicely under a light DE then at least you know where the issues are.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

So I'm messing around with using GPG for symmetrically encrypting some stuff with AES. The pinentry popup on Fedora and CentOS doesn't instil much confidence that it's grabbing a full password.

Example of password with special characters in it:

code:
98yr4f..fdslv//dfsij
Pasting into pinentry:

Anyone use the pinentry box for pasting passwords and can confirm that it's reliable? I mean, you encrypt stuff that's important, so you want to have faith that the password is being read correctly, right?

If I use a cryptographic hash output into the pinentry box then the number of stars don't even match the password length I'm pasting in.

I've proved it works by reading the password from a file when encrypting and then using pinentry for decryption, but, hmmm.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Woof Blitzer posted:

Dead rear end link homie.

poo poo. forgot the dash.

https://vim-adventures.com/

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Woof Blitzer posted:

Also consider trying vimtutor in your terminal. It's designed for 80x25, so it might look a little weird and the instructions won't make 100% sense, but it's helpful.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

There is only one ting you need to know about vim: <ESC> : q!

and then you start nano

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Volguus posted:

and then you start nano

:frogout:

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

apropos man posted:

I've proved it works by reading the password from a file when encrypting and then using pinentry for decryption, but, hmmm.
Pinentry will do all sorts of fuckery with the terminal, to the point where if I forgot to set the TTY just right using tmux, it would somehow manage to quit tmux, and then set my terminal into a state where I couldn't even run 'reset'. I don't even know how the hell it could do that.

(TLDR I fixed it by running "export GPG_TTY=$(tty)" before doing any operations that use Pinentry)

GPG is such a goddamn shitshow for usability, it really makes me hate cryptonerds.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Volguus posted:

and then you start nano

I don't think anyone uses nano as an IDE.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

I don't think anyone uses nano as an IDE.

Nor should they. If you need an IDE you should use an IDE. If you need an OS you should use emacs. If you need a text editor, nano can do the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Volguus posted:

Nor should they. If you need an IDE you should use an IDE. If you need an OS you should use emacs. If you need a text editor, nano can do the job.

Except nano isn’t available by default whereas vi almost always is.

Do you have any more of these bad opinions?