Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

I try not to question professionals in their choice of tools, especially farmers, they are after all, out standing in their field.

:cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

I really want to see data on the necessity of this though.

I'll accept that if your horse broke it's spine or whatever and needs to be put down for humane reasons, that's a good reason to have a pretty dangerous weapon at your disposal. But does it need to be a full calibre semi-automatic firearm? Can it be something else?

Same for wild animals. What exactly is the case you're attempting to defend against here? Wild animals attacking you? Wild animals attacking herd animals? How effective are firearms at defending herds? Being out here in ranch county it seems to me that most herds are quite away from people, and so it's dubious to me how realistic the idea of real-time intervention actually is. Are there not alternatives, be it stronger physical barriers to protect your home, or alternative weapons or financial products for protecting your investment in herd animals that avert the need for a firearm? Does the societal cost in suicide even outweigh the losses due to wild animal attacks?

Guns are used because that's just how things are done, and people probably want those guns for hunting and amusement and poo poo. That doesn't make them necessary.

Attacking herd animals yes. If you raise sheep or cattle that animal is destroying your livelihood. There is compensation from the province for such incidents but it's not always adequate.

My grandpa used to take potshots at coyotes to scare them off (especially since it was the middle of the night), but usually it was someone's dog that had gone wild had to be killed. Think I've told the story before, but one of these rogue dogs that tore the throat out of a lamb that he had to shoot ended up belonging to an OPP sergeant who showed up and threatened to throw him in jail.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yeah, you shoot coyote as you come across em cuz they eat your smallish barn yard critters.

Coyotes are smart litte bastards.

In addition to going wild, farm dogs are also very good at eating neighbour’s cats, dreylad.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I try not to question professionals in their choice of tools, especially farmers, they are after all, out standing in their field.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1104151955432185856

I wonder how many jobs justify hounding public servants to suicide

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why is CBC even letting her near a camera? Why is CBC so trash now?

e: I really loving hate how JOBS are now used to justify every evil regressive lovely idea to ever fart out of a conservative mouth

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Look don't you know the role of the Attorney General is to support our growing economy? I am almost certain that is the exact job description. I haven't looked this up.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Liberty Justice Comraderie JOBS

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

e: I really loving hate how JOBS are now used to justify every evil regressive lovely idea to ever fart out of a conservative mouth

Sometimes you just need to give people the rope.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Has it always been the case that a job is a good thing just by virtue of being a job? Like, if your job is to work for a huge, evil, corrupt company, maybe your job should be gone?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

xtal posted:

Has it always been the case that a job is a good thing just by virtue of being a job? Like, if your job is to work for a huge, evil, corrupt company, maybe your job should be gone?

Helsing or vyelkin probably have a way more accurate/concrete time frame but Im old and it feels like something that really picked up at the end of the Reagan/Thatcher era of politics.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Serial killer released due to the job vacancies he created.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

This is definitely the current dogma, but we are seeing some growing pushback against the idea. A video from Davos went viral relatively recently where Winnie Byanyima was responding to some CFO who basically said "blah blah taxes are bad, unemployment is at an all time low, shouldn't we be rewarding job creators?" where she pointed out that basically "low unemployment" is a meaningless statistic if you're fine counting jobs where people are exploited. If people are employed but still below the poverty line then what social good is that employment doing?

There is a wider issue with the concept of jobs/unemployment that society is going to have to deal with at some point, which is that often when jobs disappear it's because they aren't needed anymore. Automation exists and it's not going away. We are going to have to learn to accept the idea that maybe we don't need everyone to be working for society to function and that people shouldn't be punished because their skills aren't currently in demand. This is sort of the basic idea behind UBI - that everyone deserves a decent quality of life regardless of whether or not they "contribute", but as has been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread already, UBI is a band-aid solution at best and many of the advocates of it may not actually genuinely care about improving the quality of life of the unemployed.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Never forget that one of the things JWR was told when they were pressuring her was "we can line up op-eds from here to the moon saying you did the right thing".

Furnaceface posted:

Helsing or vyelkin probably have a way more accurate/concrete time frame but Im old and it feels like something that really picked up at the end of the Reagan/Thatcher era of politics.

I've no idea actually. From personal experience I'm young and I don't think I ever remember it being a different way. My hunch would be the same as yours, that it's something that came with neoliberalism and love for "job creators". Certainly the narrative from the wealthy has been that by providing jobs they're immune to all criticism for a lot longer than that, but before the advent of neoliberalism it seems there was a much stronger counter-narrative saying jobs aren't the be-all and end-all and in fact our end goal should be no one having to work at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Your worth as an individual is wholly dependent on your employment.

Something something Protestant work ethic.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

vyelkin posted:

Never forget that one of the things JWR was told when they were pressuring her was "we can line up op-eds from here to the moon saying you did the right thing".

I've no idea actually. From personal experience I'm young and I don't think I ever remember it being a different way. My hunch would be the same as yours, that it's something that came with neoliberalism and love for "job creators". Certainly the narrative from the wealthy has been that by providing jobs they're immune to all criticism for a lot longer than that, but before the advent of neoliberalism it seems there was a much stronger counter-narrative saying jobs aren't the be-all and end-all and in fact our end goal should be no one having to work at all.

Adam Smith had that poo poo pegged down in the 1700s.

quote:

For example, Smith lectured that the cause of increase in national wealth is labour, rather than the nation's quantity of gold or silver, which is the basis for mercantilism, the economic theory that dominated Western European economic policies at the time

Jobs are good because they add profit and growth, otherwise the companies wouldn't survive having jobs like that so the default is that all jobs are good because they are good for the national economy. When was the strongest counter narrative saying that our end goal should be no one having to work at all? Genuinely curious

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vyelkin posted:

Again, 75% of gun deaths in Canada are suicides and the vast majority of those are being committed with legally-purchased and legally-owned firearms. Research also shows that reducing the availability of one method of suicide does not result in an increase of corresponding magnitude in suicide by other means.

The gun debate always pisses me off because we're constantly pretending that the only people who die from gun violence are people are are shot by "criminals", i.e. people actively engaged in the commission of multiple crimes, like spree shooters or gang members. That's completely false.

or because there's a gun in their house when they get in a big argument with someone who can't control their temper, and who goes and gets the gun and shoots them.

I hate to be a big stickler on this stuff but yes, the overwhelming amount of gun homicides in Canada are gang/drug related. The amount of homicides that are caused by legally owned guns in Canada is something like 10 or less a year. It is not common for a typical gun owner in Canada to shoot their family members.

And I am curious which studies you reference that the suicide rate decreases if you remove a common method of suicide. Everything I've seen says theres conflicting evidence if the removal of firearms leads to an increase of attempts of suicide in different methods, negating the savings.

I think we would be much better served by providing free counselling and psychiatry which would do worlds more good than banning more guns in Canada when it comes to suicide, but hell, no government anytime soon is going to want to spend the real money it would cost for these programs.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 9, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

zapplez posted:

And I am curious which studies you reference that the suicide rate decreases if you remove a common method of suicide. Everything I've seen says people just find another way to attempt it. But I am open to better data.

It's not firearms, but does this float your boat? It's the study of the suicide rate in Toronto following the installation of the barrier on the Bloor Viaduct, TBF all it shows is that people don't use that method as much.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Jobs are good because they add profit and growth, otherwise the companies wouldn't survive having jobs like that so the default is that all jobs are good because they are good for the national economy. When was the strongest counter narrative saying that our end goal should be no one having to work at all? Genuinely curious

Well that's fine and all, but what does the increase in national wealth do for the average individual? The ones who have seen a decreasing rate of return on their labour for the last 50 years?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 9, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

It's not firearms, but does this float your boat? It's the study of the suicide rate in Toronto following the installation of the barrier on the Bloor Viaduct, TBF all it shows is that people don't use that method as much.

From a vox article
https://www.vox.com/2016/2/29/11120184/gun-control-study-international-evidence

"This helps explain some unusual results. For instance, some data from Quebec found that a Canadian law reducing access to firearms led to an increase in suicides by hanging — a large enough increase to offset the decline in suicides by firearm that followed the law. Other studies, from Australia and New Zealand, found a similar substitution effect."

Its hard to find recent suicide studies in Canada, doesn't seem like we have good stats since 2009. Thanks Harper?

But yeah, if you limit access to firearms it can help a bit, but the determined ones will just figure out another way.

Sorry for arguing about this, but as someone thats done plently of shifts for a suicide hotline, I am kind of a bugaboo on this issue because what we need is way more funding for mental health, banning guns wont solve (or help a ton) just like banning the sale of rope at home hardware won't fix things either.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

Sorry for arguing about this, but as someone thats done plently of shifts for a suicide hotline, I am kind of a bugaboo on this issue because what we need is way more funding for mental health, banning guns wont solve (or help a ton) just like banning the sale of rope at home hardware won't fix things either.

I agree that it's one of those things that probably gets brought up because it sounds good and it makes "gut sense" even if it's not particularly true. It wouldn't hurt anything, but it's also unlikely to address the actual issue.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I agree that it's one of those things that probably gets brought up because it sounds good and it makes "gut sense" even if it's not particularly true. It wouldn't hurt anything, but it's also unlikely to address the actual issue.

Yeah, and its not to say there isn't a bunch of things that could be done with our current gun laws to lower violent gun crime. Having stricter storage laws, longer training courses, longer waiting periods, more RCMP officers that are screening the background checks, more funding for police and courts to remove guns from owners that have committed spousal abuse, etc etc etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zapplez posted:

And I am curious which studies you reference that the suicide rate decreases if you remove a common method of suicide. Everything I've seen says theres conflicting evidence if the removal of firearms leads to an increase of attempts of suicide in different methods, negating the savings.

I'm sorry but what you've seen is wrong according to scientific literature. It's been repeatedly shown by empirical studies that means restriction is an effective way of lowering the suicide rate overall.

Here's an article from the Lancet in 2012: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)60521-2/fulltext

quote:

Summary
Limitation of access to lethal methods used for suicide—so-called means restriction—is an important population strategy for suicide prevention. Many empirical studies have shown that such means restriction is effective. Although some individuals might seek other methods, many do not; when they do, the means chosen are less lethal and are associated with fewer deaths than when more dangerous ones are available. We examine how the spread of information about suicide methods through formal and informal media potentially affects the choices that people make when attempting to kill themselves. We also discuss the challenges associated with implementation of means restriction and whether numbers of deaths by suicide are reduced.

Here's an article from the Journal of Accident Analysis and Prevention from 2005: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001457505000400

quote:

Abstract
The effectiveness of restricting access to certain means of committing suicide has been demonstrated, at least as regards toxic domestic gas, firearms, drugs and bridges. At the individual level, studies tend to indicate that many persons have a preference for a given means, which would limit the possibility of substitution or displacement towards another method. Similarly, the fact that suicidal crisis are very often short-lived (and, what is more, influenced by ambivalence or impulsiveness) suggests that an individual with restricted access to a given means would not put off his plans to later or turn to alternative methods. This has been more difficult to demonstrate scientifically in population studies. Nevertheless, it appears that, should such a shift occur towards other means, it would be put into effect only in part and over a longer term.

Here's an open-access article from the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health from 2011: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3290984/

quote:

Abstract
Background: Restricting access to common means of suicide, such as firearms, toxic gas, pesticides and other, has been shown to be effective in reducing rates of death in suicide. In the present review we aimed to summarize the empirical and clinical literature on controlling the access to means of suicide. Methods: This review made use of both MEDLINE, ISI Web of Science and the Cochrane library databases, identifying all English articles with the keywords “suicide means”, “suicide method”, “suicide prediction” or “suicide prevention” and other relevant keywords. Results: A number of factors may influence an individual’s decision regarding method in a suicide act, but there is substantial support that easy access influences the choice of method. In many countries, restrictions of access to common means of suicide has lead to lower overall suicide rates, particularly regarding suicide by firearms in USA, detoxification of domestic and motor vehicle gas in England and other countries, toxic pesticides in rural areas, barriers at jumping sites and hanging, by introducing “safe rooms” in prisons and hospitals. Moreover, decline in prescription of barbiturates and tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), as well as limitation of drugs pack size for paracetamol and salicylate has reduced suicides by overdose, while increased prescription of SSRIs seems to have lowered suicidal rates. Conclusions: Restriction to means of suicide may be particularly effective in contexts where the method is popular, highly lethal, widely available, and/or not easily substituted by other similar methods. However, since there is some risk of means substitution, restriction of access should be implemented in conjunction with other suicide prevention strategies.

And that's just what popped up on the first page of Google.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

It was automation. Keynes, for example, in the 30s, thought that over time automation would mean people would be more and more productive for each hour they spent at work, which would lead to reductions in the workweek. He thought by the 21st century we'd all be working 25-30 hour weeks, and those workweeks would continue to shrink as productivity continued to increase through automation. When you look at a job through that lens the individual job suddenly becomes much less important when the end result is going to be fully-automated luxury gay space communism.

And for a while it looked like he was right. Automation and increases in productivity led to either decreased workweeks or increased wages (or both) up until the 70s and the advent of neoliberalism, when globalization, the deregulation of capital, and all the other stuff we talk about in here all the time meant productivity became decoupled from wages and labour conditions. Since then real wages have stagnated and workweeks, iirc, have actually gotten longer, even though productivity has continued to increase. The difference is that we've eroded the power of labour so much that we're no longer able to negotiate for higher productivity translating into decreased workweeks or increased wages, so instead all the benefits of that increased productivity have flowed to capital instead of labour. And under those conditions, capital has used its increasing dominance and the increasing insecurity of work to make us all think that they're the ones wonderfully bestowing jobs upon us, instead of the ones exploiting our labour.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

BC liberals are NOTHING like the federal liberal party. They are fake Liberals, more Conservative than Liberal.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zapplez posted:

I hate to be a big stickler on this stuff but yes, the overwhelming amount of gun homicides in Canada are gang/drug related. The amount of homicides that are caused by legally owned guns in Canada is something like 10 or less a year. It is not common for a typical gun owner in Canada to shoot their family members.

Oh and I also have to push back here. Gangs are not insignificant but they're not the overwhelming majority of gun homicides in Canada.

Here's a recent Statscan report on homicides in Canada in 2017.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/85-002-x/2018001/article/54980-eng.htm

In 2017 there were 266 homicides by firearm in Canada, and 137 of those were gang-related. So it's not the overwhelming majority, it's half.

When you take the other half and combine it with the overwhelming majority of gun deaths that are suicides, I'm standing by my statement that the vast majority of gun deaths in Canada are people who lose control one day and either kill themselves or someone they know with a legally-owned firearm.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zapplez posted:

From a vox article
https://www.vox.com/2016/2/29/11120184/gun-control-study-international-evidence

"This helps explain some unusual results. For instance, some data from Quebec found that a Canadian law reducing access to firearms led to an increase in suicides by hanging — a large enough increase to offset the decline in suicides by firearm that followed the law. Other studies, from Australia and New Zealand, found a similar substitution effect."

Its hard to find recent suicide studies in Canada, doesn't seem like we have good stats since 2009. Thanks Harper?

But yeah, if you limit access to firearms it can help a bit, but the determined ones will just figure out another way.

also lol that you quoted that one paragraph from the Vox article but left out the next two:

quote:

This helps explain some unusual results. For instance, some data from Quebec found that a Canadian law reducing access to firearms led to an increase in suicides by hanging — a large enough increase to offset the decline in suicides by firearm that followed the law. Other studies, from Australia and New Zealand, found a similar substitution effect.

However, there is very good evidence — some of it from the same countries — that reducing access to guns reduces overall suicides. Indeed, Santaella-Tenorio himself believes that despite those three studies, limiting access to guns is very likely to reduce suicide rates overall.

"There's some other evidence that we didn't include in this review," he says, that finds attempting suicide is an impulsive decision that people regret (if they fail) and thus don't repeat. Firearms, because they're much more effective than taking pills or slashing your wrists, don't give people that option. Thus, reducing access to guns should (and empirically generally does) reduce the overall suicide rate.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

It was automation. Keynes, for example, in the 30s, thought that over time automation would mean people would be more and more productive for each hour they spent at work, which would lead to reductions in the workweek. He thought by the 21st century we'd all be working 25-30 hour weeks, and those workweeks would continue to shrink as productivity continued to increase through automation. When you look at a job through that lens the individual job suddenly becomes much less important when the end result is going to be fully-automated luxury gay space communism.

And for a while it looked like he was right. Automation and increases in productivity led to either decreased workweeks or increased wages (or both) up until the 70s and the advent of neoliberalism, when globalization, the deregulation of capital, and all the other stuff we talk about in here all the time meant productivity became decoupled from wages and labour conditions. Since then real wages have stagnated and workweeks, iirc, have actually gotten longer, even though productivity has continued to increase. The difference is that we've eroded the power of labour so much that we're no longer able to negotiate for higher productivity translating into decreased workweeks or increased wages, so instead all the benefits of that increased productivity have flowed to capital instead of labour. And under those conditions, capital has used its increasing dominance and the increasing insecurity of work to make us all think that they're the ones wonderfully bestowing jobs upon us, instead of the ones exploiting our labour.

I think a big shift is the culture around consumption went crazy. Like we're making so much stuff now that we're throwing most of it away. Productivity went up but we never actually settled on a cap for "how much is enough". So we're just making more, more, more, regardless if anyone actually wants/needs any of it.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

THC posted:

BC liberals are NOTHING like the federal liberal party. They are fake Liberals, more Conservative than Liberal.

their love of snc-lavalin was real though, wasn't Gwyn Morgan an SNC guy?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
It's hilarious to me how many of our apparently unsolvable problems would be solved by communism, or at least socialist ideas. How much money have they gave SNC-Lavalin to keep 9,000 jobs? They could just employ them themselves! We bought a loving pipeline and not for a second did they try and talk about the money that it could bring in for all of us? Government nationalises costs, privatises profit, and it's a loving disgrace.
I'm not saying I'm in favour of increased fossil fuel production or consumption, but it would be nice if we saw a nice return on what all of our money bought. Just a nice dividend to every Canadian.
Not to mention if the Government tried to compete with private industry, they could just crush them! It's called the dictatorship of the proletariat because it uses dictatorial powers against capitalism, not because it's a dictatorship where the average person has no say in the government.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

THC posted:

Except Clark's running defence for them here and one of her former staff now works for the (real?) Liberals and is one of the many schmucks they sent to harass JWR into dropping the prosecution.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thc was using the "irony" rhetorical device.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Karl Marx and the communist revolutions in europe

Marx wrote a lot about the necissity for a large mass of "reserve labour" (the unemployed) being in the interest of capitalists so as to drive down wages, and to be available during times of rapid growth when rapid increases in production are necessary. It is in the interests of capitalists to have a large class of the unemployed to draw upon. IMO, the narrative of capitalist "job creators" mostly exists to counter the idea of a universal income, and obfuscate the larger problem of increasing unemployement due to automation.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

THC posted:

well unfortunately we got a seat there by promising to axe their road tolls and if there's anything they hate more than road tolls it's having to live near, look at, or otherwise be aware of the existence of poor people

Ridgers get mad whenever the homeless set up a new camp after the previous one got shut or burnt down, all while refusing to have any adequate services for the poor.

But of course that's what will keep happening, because the only way to solve homelessness is with homes

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RBC posted:

Karl Marx and the communist revolutions in europe

Marx wrote a lot about the necissity for a large mass of "reserve labour" (the unemployed) being in the interest of capitalists so as to drive down wages, and to be available during times of rapid growth when rapid increases in production are necessary. It is in the interests of capitalists to have a large class of the unemployed to draw upon. IMO, the narrative of capitalist "job creators" mostly exists to counter the idea of a universal income, and obfuscate the larger problem of increasing unemployement due to automation.

That's what I was thinking the strongest peak was, like 1917ish.

The whole capitalism thing only works with massive amounts of imaginary wealth being lent that will be paid back in the future mostly way in the future. That depends on economic growth and that growth depends on societies being able to produce more and more each year. Each real job contributes to that growth because the employee should be contributing more to the company that they're being paid. So it makes sense for governments to protect the jobs if there's a bad year or something, try to create new ones via innovation credits and stuff like that. Job creators are growth engines and the employees are the fuel, makes sense for governments to protect and nurture both. It seems fundamentally opposed for the government to run on an idea of "our end goal should be no one having to work at all" and I was just wondering if the sentiment was ever strong enough for that to have had much strength in a modern society.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
People in mid 20th century North America thought the world of the Jetsons would be happening within the lifetimes of their children so the idea that significant reductions in labour were imminent is hardly confined to actually existing socialism. If anything the Bolsheviks really fetishized work and a lot of traditional Marxist scholars fell out of favour with the post 60s left precisely because they were seen as too fixated on labour and economic production and the issues surrounding it and weren't engaged enough with the "post materialist" values of the youth counter culture and student movements.

Jobs are good because they add profit and growth, otherwise the companies wouldn't survive having jobs like that so the default is that all jobs are good because they are good for the national economy.

Yeah I guess that makes sense if you don't think about it very hard and have never heard about externalities before.

That's what I was thinking the strongest peak was, like 1917ish.

The whole capitalism thing only works with massive amounts of imaginary wealth being lent that will be paid back in the future mostly way in the future. That depends on economic growth and that growth depends on societies being able to produce more and more each year. Each real job contributes to that growth because the employee should be contributing more to the company that they're being paid. So it makes sense for governments to protect the jobs if there's a bad year or something, try to create new ones via innovation credits and stuff like that. Job creators are growth engines and the employees are the fuel, makes sense for governments to protect and nurture both. It seems fundamentally opposed for the government to run on an idea of "our end goal should be no one having to work at all" and I was just wondering if the sentiment was ever strong enough for that to have had much strength in a modern society.

The word "real" is doing a lot of heavy lifting in this paragraph.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Automation was a big point of discussion among social commentators, public intellectuals, even the churches in Canada from at least the 1950s onwards. I remember the United Church of Canada took out some ad space in Maclean's, I think? titled something like "The United Church and the Coming Onrush of Robots" or something pretty strange. It wasn't advertising anything, just telling Canadians that it was something the church was discussing that year.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/anitavandenbeld/status/1104385381980499969
https://twitter.com/kick1972/status/1104496110062702592

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How are they so bad at this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008