Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My problems with the new Ghostbusters movie had nothing to do with the all-female main cast. I did think it was kind of trying too hard when the one male on the team was a bumbling idiot though, especially since in the original movies Janine Melnitz wasn't.

I also like three of the four reimagined Ghostbusters; the reimagined Egon though, no. Kate McKinnon went too Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for the role imo. Leslie Jones was my favourite and I was shocked and saddened by how hard she was poo poo on as the reimagined Zeddamore, she practically carried the rest of the cast.

If Feig hadn't made it about gender, I think it would've been received a lot better.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh and i somehow work with two goons or goon adjacent people so thats extremely weird

I wonder how many goons I work with? I work at a security/AV software provider (mostly enterprise,) so there *have* to be some goons here in Dev and probably Customer Support. Definitely some goony customer support engineers if not actual SA goons.

opengl128 posted:

Captain Marvel had some AI-ish content too, Fury drives a mint Impala SS

Should have been you know, a Plymouth Fury.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

To be fair it's kinda hard to enjoy movies if you think about all the lovely people making them, I just like to enjoy the art and try not think too much about the assholes or politics behind it.

I'm just trying to point out that you can not solve misogyny by buying a ticket to a super hero movie. If you want to comic book it up, sure by all means, but don't pretend that you are making a statement about sexism by feeding even more money into a massive for-profit company.

There is no protesting by purchasing.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Something something no ethical consumption under capitalism

Fun fact, an integra will run on only three cylinders. It won't idle, but it'll fuckin run.

God I can't wait til it gets warm so I can bother to do more than idly gently caress with this car. The girlfriend wants to try to daily it when I get it buttoned up as a way to get comfy with a manual. Which means I have a reason to gently caress with this car more than before.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

A mid 2000's Hyundai Santa Fe with the V6 will happily run on two cylinders as it melts it's catalytic converters. Don't ask me how I know.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

An 8.1 vortec will run normally with 1 spark plug wire off, and not even throw a MIL.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Darchangel posted:

Wait, so they towed it because it was out of reg according to their records, despite a (hopefully) valid sticker on the the car? Without a warning? What communist state is this?

Yeah, it had a valid 2019 sticker on it, I just (literally 2 weeks ago) put the sticker on for the 2019 reg that's not due until 4/12, it was legally parked, has never had a ticket in my ownership and sat as a planned Non-Op at the previous owner's (a mechanic who specializes in roadsters of all types who had bought the car from a one-owner old guy, who's kids sold it after he died. It has 68k miles on it) for 8 years or whatever before he gave up on the plan to make it a track car and sold it to me.

The detective's story was that the dopey ticket robot doesn't have a computer but likes the bonuses that coming up with infractions gets them, so that person called dispatch, dispatch lazily failed to scroll down literally 2 lines, and gave them the go-ahead to yank it for no reason.

It's the Untied Soviet States of KKKalifornia, and I've gone from being a full on raving anTEEfa progressive to googling "How to register your cars in Montana" in the last 24 hours.

First they came for the Miatas, and I said nothing,

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

The detective's story was that the dopey ticket robot doesn't have a computer but likes the bonuses that coming up with infractions gets them, so that person called dispatch, dispatch lazily failed to scroll down literally 2 lines, and gave them the go-ahead to yank it for no reason.

It's the Untied Soviet States of KKKalifornia, and I've gone from being a full on raving anTEEfa progressive to googling "How to register your cars in Montana" in the last 24 hours.

That's absurd, and I feel you man. I'm 5th gen Californian on my dad's side, grew up here my whole life. My grandfather on the other side built custom order surfboards in the Palisades for movie stars in the 1950s/60s. I'm about as Californian as you can get... love the beaches, love the mountains, love the deserts, love all the incredible food, etc. etc. And yet every time a smog guy goes over my impeccably maintained Jeep with a fine-tooth comb and points out stupid things, every time my registration fee goes up, every time I sit in traffic for an hour to go a couple miles, I start googling things in Montana too.

I think I remember you hating gunchat, but like, another thing I grew up doing was target shooting and hunting with my dad. Always been extremely safe, always try to stay law-abiding, clean up my brass, etc. There's some new measure being proposed that if you leave your firearm in the car unattended (i.e. to stop and get a coffee on the way to the range or buy some ice on the way out to hunt) the firearm has to be in a locked container that is chained or otherwise permanently affixed to the "frame" of the vehicle. So I'm supposed to start punching holes in the trunk of my E46 to remain a law-abiding citizen hahah.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Personally, I'd argue that the trunk itself is affixed to the frame and challenge whoever calls me out to fisticuffs

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Personally, I'd argue that the trunk itself is affixed to the frame and challenge whoever calls me out to fisticuffs

Yeah I read that and went "ok the trunk, got it". Though my brown diesel wagon with a manual transmission doesn't really have a trunk like that....

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So today has been a very interesting day to say the least.

Was doing some jobs down at an Ihop, and boy howdy did just about everything go wrong today.
So apparently this morning some lady comes in, gets seated like normal, and then proceeds to loose her mind. Starts screaming that she wants her food now, wants it to go. Then she says she has a bomb on her, and everyone is going to die. The MOD calls the cops, and she runs out. Some guy had just pulled up to get some togo food, and left his car idling, and she jumps in and tries to drive away with he. He stops her, and I guess she ran off after that?

Anyways, we were there to replace an ice machine. Uncrated the new one, and it was all dented and the condenser coil had been shifted out of place. Greeeat. And this is after disconnecting the old one and everything. Office calls the DM, and he says he's going to return it. Great. Button up everything again.

Was also replacing a compressor and cap tube on a fridge there. And that drat thing fought me every step of the way. In the end, I got everything done and fired it up only to find the condenser somehow has a restriction in the tubes. So that's just great.

And as I get ready to leave? Two guys walk in and try to rob the place.
loving hell man.

And then I get home and find out that someone went through my car. Didn't steal anything except and empty sunglasses case. Didn't even touch the change, or tools or anything else. Just tossed all my poo poo all over.
What the gently caress man.

meatpimp posted:

Hey HVAC guys -- I've got a 20 year old Trane residential HVAC system that I think is nearing the end of its life.

What type/brands should I be looking at for a replacement? Should I look at hybrid heat systems, or is that just expensive fuckery? What should I be looking for?

House is ~3k square feet with a lot of volume ceilings. Currently running a 2.5 ton AC and I don't remember the furnace size.

Trane or Lennox would be at the top of my list for Brands What Are Good. It depends on what your budget is more than anything.
When you said hybrid heat, are you talking about like a duel-fuel system, like a heat pump + gas furnace? I mean, that really depends on the utility rates in your area.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I own a shotgun and a few other things and go skeet and target shooting on the regular. I also drive a Honda Fit so trunk laws have always been really weird since I prefer wagons/hatchbacks. That said, I live in the gun country part of CA where freeway billboards have ar-15 lowers advertised, etc. and those laws are more or less for the other parts of CA where black guns don’t matter since there are trunk laws, but never observed in any way shape or form, at least not here.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

ilkhan posted:

Advice time.

GF's car has started getting door dings, basically every morning, from the Tahoe that parks next to her at the complex. Parking is assigned, and no they won't change it. She's got a dozen dings already in a vehicle less than a year old, including one in a spot she already did did fix-it paint over. They started showing up about a month ago, a week after we signed a renewed the lease. We put a note on their vehicle, gone to management who said they'd put a note on the owner's door, poo poo keeps happening. Since we'd like to avoid cutting all the valve stems, pouring sugar into their gas tank, and knocking out every piece of glass on their god drat Tahoe one night, whats the next step?

I don't know what to do in your situation but it made me remember, is paintless dent repair still a thing? I've googled it and had trouble really finding anyone saying they do it locally. I have two dings in my Mustang I want fixed but if my only option is filler and paint then I'm not interested.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation

Fermented Tinal posted:

I did think it was kind of trying too hard when the one male on the team was a bumbling idiot though

Get over it, snowflake. The character was hilarious and Chris did a great job.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

bird with big dick posted:

Oh hey you must be new here. This isn't how we talk to eachother in AI.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

He was the only good character. The rest of the movie was a garbage fire.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation

Adiabatic posted:

Oh hey you must be new here. This isn't how we talk to eachother in AI.

Sorry, it seemed a little "omg a white male was maligned" and I responded according to my SJW training courses. I'll try and read the room better in the future.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I just don't understand why they keep trying to remake good movies. It never ever works. Remake the Star Wars prequels, that's a sure-fire way to make a better movie, though I suspect that because Disney hasn't done that means that Lucas has some sort of contractual choke-hold on that where they can't touch them.

Anyone remember the remakes of RoboCop? Total Recall? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I would have already forgotten about the Ghostbusters reboot if people online ever stopped bringing it up

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

KakerMix posted:

I just don't understand why they keep trying to remake good movies. It never ever works. Remake the Star Wars prequels, that's a sure-fire way to make a better movie, though I suspect that because Disney hasn't done that means that Lucas has some sort of contractual choke-hold on that where they can't touch them.

Anyone remember the remakes of RoboCop? Total Recall? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Because people love them some nostalgia is pretty much the answer.

RoboCop at least tried to do something a little different with the remake. In that it was the opposite of the original. Murphy looses more of his humanity as the movie goes on. If they hadn't used the Robocop name it probably would be remembered better.

Total Recall was worthless, and Charlie and the Chocolate factory was just an excuse to have Johnny Depp do his shtick.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
There's been a ton of good remakes of good movies.

The Fly and The Thomas Crown Affair and 3:10 to Yuma are right off the top of my head.

A remake of the prequels wouldn't be a remake it'd be a scorched earth replacement and there's really not much point in that when you can just do movies like Solo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation

ExplodingSims posted:

RoboCop at least tried to do something a little different with the remake. In that it was the opposite of the original. Murphy looses more of his humanity as the movie goes on. If they hadn't used the Robocop name it probably would be remembered better.

Total Recall was worthless, and Charlie and the Chocolate factory was just an excuse to have Johnny Depp do his shtick.

The original Charlie was all kinds of hosed up because they basically poo poo on the entire original plot with their fizzy lifting drink Charlie transgressions.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

There's been a ton of good remakes of good movies.

The Fly and The Thomas Crown Affair and 3:10 to Yuma are right off the top of my head.

A remake of the prequels wouldn't be a remake it'd be a scorched earth replacement and there's really not much point in that when you can just do movies like Solo.

The Thing :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The best remake of them all!

I meant more in the modern-Hollywood era remake sense rather than it being impossible to remake or reboot something well. I just doubt the way Hollywood is run right now, and how everything is soon to be Disney 100% there is no room. Max Max Fury Road is fantastic but hollywood accounting means we won't ever get that again. Dredd was awesome as hell, but nooooope.

I'm just jaded, really. Good movies are still made they just don't come from the traditional sources like they used to.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Sorry, it seemed a little "omg a white male was maligned" and I responded according to my SJW training courses. I'll try and read the room better in the future.

I didn't like him because it seemed like an insult instead of an homage to a great (female) character from the originals. For me it has nothing to do with portraying a white male as an idiot, but thanks for assuming!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation

I was just thinking that that was another one

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

Friend of mine got in a really bad wreck and had to get cut out of the car with the jaws.

And for a change, it wasn't the BMW driver's fault! (friend was driving an E36, someone ran a red light and slammed into him doing an estimated ~50-60mph). I'm probably gonna head up to Dallas to see him; he's in the ICU for a bit, and facing at least several months of recovery.

Must have got t-boned? I got rear ended in my '36 while at a stop light by a drunkass bitch in a 4-Runner doing 70+ in a 45, and while I have no memory of anything an hour before I was hit to seven hours after, I only had to get 13 stitches over my eye and had a sore clutch leg.

It has been two months since a girl at work and I finally did everyone else at the office a favor and banged. It turned into a whole lot more for both of us real quick, and she just moved in two weeks ago. I haven't been this happy with a partner in a decade, and yet I'm like still an abused rescue dog and keep waiting for "the other shoe" to drop and gently caress my life up again. Help me goons, how do I just accept nice thing and be happy :ohdear:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:hai:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation

Fermented Tinal posted:

I didn't like him because it seemed like an insult instead of an homage to a great (female) character from the originals. For me it has nothing to do with portraying a white male as an idiot, but thanks for assuming!

I didn’t really assume anything I just took your words at face value.

It wasn’t an insult to a great female character because it wasn’t the same character and that’s okay because it wasn’t the same movie it was a different character in a different movie.

A movie that you didn’t like, partially because “the one male on the team was a bumbling idiot .”

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
My issue with the remake was that it somehow felt like a series of skits instead of a movie. Everything felt hammed up, far overshooting "quirky but believable characters." Sucks for the actors, I think they did great for what the script had them delivering.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My issue with the remake was that it somehow felt like a series of skits instead of a movie. Everything felt hammed up, far overshooting "quirky but believable characters." Sucks for the actors, I think they did great for what the script had them delivering.

I recently watched a review that pointed this out, basically every single character was Doing A Bit, All The Time and it just got wearying. In the original Venkman was a goofy-goof joke man but everyone else was played dead serious, and the humor came from their situations and how they reacted to the crazy poo poo they were seeing, as opposed to literally telling jokes in-universe. It's just such a huge departure that it was never gonna live up.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Help me goons, how do I just accept nice thing and be happy :ohdear:

You don't. The voices just fade slowly, until you only think about it at 3am with them in your arms, sure it won't happen.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

That's absurd, and I feel you man. I'm 5th gen Californian on my dad's side, grew up here my whole life. My grandfather on the other side built custom order surfboards in the Palisades for movie stars in the 1950s/60s. I'm about as Californian as you can get... love the beaches, love the mountains, love the deserts, love all the incredible food, etc. etc. And yet every time a smog guy goes over my impeccably maintained Jeep with a fine-tooth comb and points out stupid things, every time my registration fee goes up, every time I sit in traffic for an hour to go a couple miles, I start googling things in Montana too.

I think I remember you hating gunchat, but like, another thing I grew up doing was target shooting and hunting with my dad. Always been extremely safe, always try to stay law-abiding, clean up my brass, etc. There's some new measure being proposed that if you leave your firearm in the car unattended (i.e. to stop and get a coffee on the way to the range or buy some ice on the way out to hunt) the firearm has to be in a locked container that is chained or otherwise permanently affixed to the "frame" of the vehicle. So I'm supposed to start punching holes in the trunk of my E46 to remain a law-abiding citizen hahah.

I don't hate gunchat, I just have nothing to contribute to it because I don't know anything about guns other than "It's fun to shoot targets, and guns can be pretty neat" so 2-3 pages of in-depth discussion leaves me going "Uh-huh" just like HVAC and router chat. But HVAC chat I might actually learn something I can use further down the line. Uppers, lowers - it's all rules-lawyering to get around the half-assed regulations we have per state in this country over stuff that's basically military level gear. It's not like living in CA means you can't drive 500 miles and buy whatever the hell you like, so - what good exactly do local 'regulations' do?

Additionally, there's far too many old high school friends worth easily triggering to ever learn that these "clips" are indeed MAGAZINES and, furthermore

I grew up blasting people's old washing machines and the like at rural outdoor shooting ranges with my country boy gunbros and had a great time doing it, I just feel at this stage that there's not quite enough regulation on our well-regulated militia and as a result we have far more gun deaths in this country than really any other one with a similar socioeconomic status.

That proposed law you mention seems like so many of the other ones in this state that are there simply to give the authorities the power to "enforce" whatever they feel like, on anyone. Definitely building a gunsafe into my car's trunk :jerkbag:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My issue was it was just a straight out garbage fire of a movie from mouth to rear end in a top hat. Its so bad its not worth even hate watching

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

keykey posted:

I own a shotgun and a few other things and go skeet and target shooting on the regular. I also drive a Honda Fit so trunk laws have always been really weird since I prefer wagons/hatchbacks. That said, I live in the gun country part of CA where freeway billboards have ar-15 lowers advertised, etc. and those laws are more or less for the other parts of CA where black guns don’t matter since there are trunk laws, but never observed in any way shape or form, at least not here.

Right, and non-compliance is a huge, impossible to quantify number that is almost never discussed and conveniently brushed under the rug. Realistically I am a tall, blonde, blue-eyed white dude who keeps his taillights in top shape and has never, ever had his car searched any time I've ever been pulled over. The law, assuming it comes to pass, will only be applied as a tack-on charge and disproportionately affect people minorities who are more likely to get their vehicle searched after getting pulled over for rolling a stop or whatever.

ExplodingSims posted:

Charlie and the Chocolate factory was just an excuse to have Johnny Depp do his shtick.

I dread the day Hollywood cashes in on nostalgia and re-makes The Matrix. I know it's coming and it will be Bad. Also, I feel like Depp's shtick has largely been emulating Hunter Thompson's mannerisms and alcoholism ever since he played him in Fear and Loathing. His Pirates of the Caribbean role being the obvious offender.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I don't hate gunchat, I just have nothing to contribute to it because I don't know anything about guns other than "It's fun to shoot targets, and guns can be pretty neat" so 2-3 pages of in-depth discussion leaves me going "Uh-huh" just like HVAC and router chat. But HVAC chat I might actually learn something I can use further down the line. Uppers, lowers - it's all rules-lawyering to get around the half-assed regulations we have per state in this country over stuff that's basically military level gear. It's not like living in CA means you can't drive 500 miles and buy whatever the hell you like, so - what good exactly do local 'regulations' do?

Additionally, there's far too many old high school friends worth easily triggering to ever learn that these "clips" are indeed MAGAZINES and, furthermore

I grew up blasting people's old washing machines and the like at rural outdoor shooting ranges with my country boy gunbros and had a great time doing it, I just feel at this stage that there's not quite enough regulation on our well-regulated militia and as a result we have far more gun deaths in this country than really any other one with a similar socioeconomic status.

That proposed law you mention seems like so many of the other ones in this state that are there simply to give the authorities the power to "enforce" whatever they feel like, on anyone. Definitely building a gunsafe into my car's trunk :jerkbag:

Word :hfive:. I largely agree with most of what you said aside from certain discussions best held in a TFR thread.

plz no step on snek miata

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

oh hi nerds

im working for a german vehicle company on their connected vehicle app now so that's been fun, especially since ive never worked on a team larger than 2 people before

tiny bab is turning 5 months and has been sleeping through the night for the last 3 months

large pupper is close to 120lbs and is a gigantic handful but we love him anyways

as always, i lust for death

thanks and g*d bless

Glad to hear about the good points here, I assume the connected app is a shitshow of security blind holes and idiot management decisions though, despite your best intentions and efforts.

Beach Bum posted:

It has been two months since a girl at work and I finally did everyone else at the office a favor and banged. It turned into a whole lot more for both of us real quick, and she just moved in two weeks ago. I haven't been this happy with a partner in a decade, and yet I'm like still an abused rescue dog and keep waiting for "the other shoe" to drop and gently caress my life up again. Help me goons, how do I just accept nice thing and be happy :ohdear:

Congratulations on the sex, everything ends at some point, but it might be in 60 years ago just relax and enjoy, best of luck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How terrible are Dodge Magnums as DDs? A friend just put his up for sale since he is no longer medically allowed to drive an I do love me some wagon. It's the RT package with about 85K on the clock.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Captain Marvel is pretty much Captain Decent. Worth the money.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

https://youtu.be/3cTQcK7YWdI

So now I own an MS660 New crank, new piston, new cylinder. Went for the 98cc big bore kit cos it was $25 more than standard displacement.

I’m in for under $200 on a $2100 saw that was destined for the bin. I’ll take that price any day. Goes nicely with my $100 rebuilt MS361

Next step is to buy a 36” bar and build it into an Alaskan timber mill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

How terrible are Dodge Magnums as DDs? A friend just put his up for sale since he is no longer medically allowed to drive an I do love me some wagon. It's the RT package with about 85K on the clock.

Same as any other LX car. Excellent but heavy and the transmissions fall apart.