Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pie Colony posted:

what we have now is literally the best we know how to do, whiteboarding (or coderpad link) included. btw your question wasn't about some obscure algorithm, it was about how to convert a recursive program into an iterative one making use of an explicit stack. to disagree with everyone else in this thread, that's not an outlandish request of a programmer

counterpoint: it's a bunch of loving morons cargo-culting big 5 interview practices

e:
this kind of bullshit shouldn't exist at all. ever read "Cracking the plumbing interview" or "cracking the pilot interview" no because that would be loving stupid.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i should probably get me a copy of that to study, huh

I feel like I agree with Pie Colony that I should have been able to get through that better, though. I did, but only with a couple hints and 40 of the 45 minutes of the interview, so idk

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

self driving car interview was rough... two pretty difficult coding sessions, the second of which was so intensely stupid I can't really even wrap my head around it. And an architecture/design session.

Then capped it off with a "behavioral assessment". Ok, cool, I thought, this poo poo is easy. We're shooting the poo poo, when was a time you disagreed with your boss, blah blah blah. At some point my career aspirations come up, i told him I'm looking for that next level, maybe staff engineer or principal, etc etc. He tells me that this company is like 90% of software shops in SF where most people spend the rest of their lives in a senior role. I tell him its no big deal, what i want is bigger and bigger projects, more and more responsibility, I'm not super hung up on the title. I can't remember if we talked about stuff after that or how the conversation wrapped up, but basically it ended like 20 minutes before it was scheduled to....

Oh and by the way, during my questions to him, he revealed that he was the hiring manager... whoops! So the interview ending 20 minutes early with the hiring manager isn't a great sign. He told me they frequently schedule more time than is needed for the behavioral assessment, but, ehhhhh do they?

So whatever, that's probably a no...

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

PokeJoe posted:

counterpoint: it's a bunch of loving morons cargo-culting big 5 interview practices

e:
this kind of bullshit shouldn't exist at all. ever read "Cracking the plumbing interview" or "cracking the pilot interview" no because that would be loving stupid.

what? there are absolutely interview prep books in other industries

https://www.amazon.com/Plumber-RED-HOT-Career-Interview-Questions/dp/1719230676

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

e:

agreeing with pie colony here

it’s a good skill to possess to understand how it is possible to convert recursion to iteration and it just indicates that the person knows some algorithms and data structures theory

bear in mind this was no entry level interview

the fact that cargo culters use this exercise does not make it a bad thing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pie Colony posted:

ciaphas.exe has crashed

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Pie Colony posted:

Yeah except

quote:

Tell me about one of the more challenging Plumber projects you've done in your career. What was the goal, and how did you achieve it? - More questions about you question: What are three positive Plumber character traits you don't have? - Career Development question: How can YOU monitor your Plumber data?

Are good questions.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Pie Colony posted:

it was about how to convert a recursive program into an iterative one making use of an explicit stack

no. that’s a lovely question unless your job is 90% converting recursive functions into iterative ones. should a non-garbage programmer know how to do that? of course.

like I’ve said before, the purpose of the interview is to judge “is this person going to be successful in this role?”

judge them on poo poo they are actually going to do in their role

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pie Colony posted:

this seems different, admittedly this is a little goal-post moving but i read CTCI and found it was only useful if i wanted to work at google or facebook or companies that copy their process. and the ones that copy it in my experience emphasize correctness. checking for if someone can get a trivia algorithm question right under pressure is not a good measure of technical skill. Im sure ciaphas could have solved that question easily under normal working circumstances. fyi I have interviewed dozens of people and I never ask these kind of trivia questions. i ask about technologies and projects they worked on. i make them do a pull request of some bad code. i have them tell me the architecture of a feature i give them. i do not ask them to implement quick sort. i do not ask them to invert binary trees (something i have never done once in my professional career)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

no. that’s a lovely question unless your job is 90% converting recursive functions into iterative ones. should a non-garbage programmer know how to do that? of course.

like I’ve said before, the purpose of the interview is to judge “is this person going to be successful in this role?”

after about 15-20 minutes I'd reached the "okay, I'm getting frustrated, take five minutes then check Google for a quick refresher" stage--i'd realized a stack was necessary but was fumbling on the details of populating it iteratively

so in the real world I'd check that, remember the trick, plug it in, do a test case or whatever i need to do to check it over, and get on with my main task. If I worked on it by myself without pressure I'd get there or remember what I needed to remember, but not as quickly as just checking a reference

so does that make me a garbage programmer? idk, probably? i don't care what i do, man, i just wanna solve computer problems, get paid for it and go home :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

after about 15-20 minutes I'd reached the "okay, I'm getting frustrated, take five minutes then check Google for a quick refresher" stage--i'd realized a stack was necessary but was fumbling on the details of populating it iteratively

so in the real world I'd check that, remember the trick, plug it in, do a test case or whatever i need to do to check it over, and get on with my main task. If I worked on it by myself without pressure I'd get there or remember what I needed to remember, but not as quickly as just checking a reference

so does that make me a garbage programmer? idk, probably? i don't care what i do, man, i just wanna solve computer problems, get paid for it and go home :shrug:

in the real world you can, and should, check references frequently. reading documentation is fundamental to programming. even though your old job wouldn't let you use the internet to check references (???)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

in the real world you can, and should, check references frequently. reading documentation is fundamental to programming. even though your old job wouldn't let you use the internet to check references (???)

oh they let us, it was just an overall five to ten minute process per question with all the walkin' :v: (and inevitable walking back when your first Internet answer was wrong, or you misremembered--"should have printed that code sample after all, damnit" was a regular refrain)

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

do you know which role ciaphas was applying for? or if the company knew 90% of the code they need to get written?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i guess the lesson to be taken here is I may or may not be any good at touching computer, but interviewing remains garbage

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I hope relocation doesn't end up being a sticking point--or rather I guess if it does I should dismiss the company from my mind and move on, but that still sucks :v:

Apparently the usual offering is max $5k reimbursement for relo stuff, but while my lease at this apartment ends on Apr 30, they require sixty days moveout notice, or else they charge 2mo rent ("lease buyout") plus $500 early termination, like $3k all told. I got the impression that they wanted to fill the position sooner than that, but breaking lease would leave only 2k in that particular pot, so we'll see I guess

(ed) Shouldn't worry about this on a Friday and without an offer of course, tell my brain that

Relocation should be “We will move you.” Barring that, tell them about the 3k deal. If they pass on you over 3k extra, then bullet dodged.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

great idea!

ok i checked and its a bunch of proprietary garbage, and for Some Reason i can't get candidates to sign extensive NDA's for a white boarding session??

wait wait what if we just focus on some questions that have this property:

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

should a non-garbage programmer know how to do that? of course.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ratbert90 posted:

Relocation should be “We will move you.” Barring that, tell them about the 3k deal. If they pass on you over 3k extra, then bullet dodged.
my last signing bonus was $40k. i said 10 was small and the recruiter bumped it there. one-time costs like sign-on and relo come out of a different bucket

don't be fixed on it coming out of a "relo" budget or check too, it's a cost of doing business with you and they can cut the check from whichever source they want

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

i guess the lesson to be taken here is I may or may not be any good at touching computer, but interviewing remains garbage

on the plus side, because everyone copies the same pattern, you get good at interviews just by doing more interviews. when i was interviewing a couple years ago i completely bombed a question about consistent hashing, and now i feel like more than half the companies i interview with ask me about it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

my last signing bonus was $40k. i said 10 was small and the recruiter bumped it there. one-time costs like sign-on and relo come out of a different bucket

don't be fixed on it coming out of a "relo" budget or check too, it's a cost of doing business with you and they can cut the check from whichever source they want

where did you go and how long have you been at this that they give you forty thousand dollars to work for them, i can't even conceive of such a thing happening to me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

ever read "Cracking the plumbing interview" or "cracking the pilot interview" no because that would be loving stupid.

this kind of exists for the legacies in the US though; they want to see crap like community service hours

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

JawnV6 posted:

great idea!

ok i checked and its a bunch of proprietary garbage, and for Some Reason i can't get candidates to sign extensive NDA's for a white boarding session??

if you can't generalize what that person would do in that role with Whatever Proprietary Garbage you're using into meaningful questions, you are a bad interviewer and should practice more to get better.

and yeah, maybe the role he applied for was converting recursing functions into iterative ones for, uh performance reasons or something. in that case it's a Good Question.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

where did you go and how long have you been at this that they give you forty thousand dollars to work for them, i can't even conceive of such a thing happening to me
if you're denying the possibility of it even happening to you it's a self-fulfilling prophecy no matter what pedigree

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

if you can't generalize what that person would do in that role with Whatever Proprietary Garbage you're using into meaningful questions, you are a bad interviewer and should practice more to get better.

and yeah, maybe the role he applied for was converting recursing functions into iterative ones for, uh performance reasons or something. in that case it's a Good Question.
you don't have a coherent position, you're splitting this amazingly fine hair and want to argue both sides

im saying the mechanics underlying "converting a recursing function into iterative ones" is a generalized, abstract, meaningful question representative of dev work even if the role isn't your asinine suggestion of "unless your job is 90% converting recursive functions into iterative ones". if it isn't, how is it lacking and what would the generalized abstract meaningful one look like?

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 9, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pie Colony posted:

This isn't even remotely close to the same thing. CTCI is literally targeted specifically at the big tech companies "the Microsoft interview", "the Facebook interview", etc. The fact that you can predict these interviews that strongly in advance is a testament to how bad the interviews actually are, they are hiring only people who have read this stupid book, as opposed to basically any kind of merit at all. And of course, everyone just follows what those companies do to hire because hey if it's good enough for Microsoft then it's good enough for us.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol remember in the late 90s and early 00s when everybody followed microsoft and built their interviews around tricky math problems? why are manhole covers round, how many piano tuners are employed in the US, how many different places on earth can you walk one mile north then one mile east then one mile south and still end up in the same place? and how they gave up on them when a/b testing showed there was no difference in the quality of employee selected when using or not they were good at solving GAMES Magazine brainbusters?

that was awesome

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
what i am badly failing to get across is Ciaphas has, iirc, 10+ years of experience. when i interview people if i'm lucky I get 90 minutes with candidates to do tech deep dive interviews. asking basically "do you know recursion" is a waste of time. that's the sort of thing I ask juniors in college who are looking for an internship. plus stuff like how's a hashmap work, what's the diff b/w a list and a set, the sort of basic stuff that will tell you if they can maybe code their way out of a paper bag.

with people like ciaphas you want to know how far down the rabbit hole they can go in whatever tech stack. you want to find the point where they say "i don't know." e.g. if you're a good js dev you will know how webkit renders a frame in detail, and how to diagnose and fix your poo poo-slow webpack monstrosity.

maybe they did do this and i'm just reading into a bad question too much

ps. looking through hundreds and hundreds of college kids resumes after a job fair is extremely unpleasant, i don't recommend it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

qhat posted:

This isn't even remotely close to the same thing. CTCI is literally targeted specifically at the big tech companies "the Microsoft interview", "the Facebook interview", etc. The fact that you can predict these interviews that strongly in advance is a testament to how bad the interviews actually are, they are hiring only people who have read this stupid book, as opposed to basically any kind of merit at all. And of course, everyone just follows what those companies do to hire because hey if it's good enough for Microsoft then it's good enough for us.

my coworker got a job at facebook and he said they sent him a literal study guide for the interview

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

what i am badly failing to get across is Ciaphas has, iirc, 10+ years of experience. when i interview people if i'm lucky I get 90 minutes with candidates to do tech deep dive interviews. asking basically "do you know recursion" is a waste of time. that's the sort of thing I ask juniors in college who are looking for an internship. plus stuff like how's a hashmap work, what's the diff b/w a list and a set, the sort of basic stuff that will tell you if they can maybe code their way out of a paper bag.

with people like ciaphas you want to know how far down the rabbit hole they can go in whatever tech stack. you want to find the point where they say "i don't know." e.g. if you're a good js dev you will know how webkit renders a frame in detail, and how to diagnose and fix your poo poo-slow webpack monstrosity.

ps. looking through hundreds and hundreds of college kids resumes after a job fair is extremely unpleasant, i don't recommend it.

pretty much this. my concern with seniors is not "can they program", obviously they loving can if they've been able to hold down software engineering jobs. my main concern is "if i give this guy an important project, is he going to blow it to hell", and that you really just have to speak at length with them about past experiences, maybe get them to talk in depth about tech stacks, get them to propose architectural solutions to problems, project management, and try to vibe them out.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

pretty much this. my concern with seniors is not "can they program", obviously they loving can if they've been able to hold down software engineering jobs. my main concern is "if i give this guy an important project, is he going to blow it to hell", and that you really just have to speak at length with them about past experiences, maybe get them to talk in depth about tech stacks, get them to propose architectural solutions to problems, project management, and try to vibe them out.

you don't get any fewer non-fizzbuzzers if you advertise for a senior dev position. you don't get any more than for the junior dev but you don't get any fewer. it's disappointing but it's how it is. you must give them a computer touching test, you can't avoid this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

Other interviewers there had questions either about C/C++ minutiae or whether i understood exception safety, how much threading/synch construction I understood, things like that

I don't know whether they were better questions but they at least seemed more relevant to the day to day for the team

(ed) oh i remembered just now, one of the interviewers the other day focused entirely on testability and similar subjects. that felt like more of a back and forth than the rest

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 9, 2019

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qhat posted:

lol I was on the other end of this today... During the interview, the guy I'm speaking with is talking about the team, their stack etc. Turns out they use not only Apache Beam/Dataflow, but also prefer the Python SDK for it. I'm like no way, we also used a bunch of Dataflow and I really enjoyed the Python SDK.

Instead of exploring this, maybe even coming up with some toy problems centered around this technology, or talk about its drawbacks, what you'd like to see it do better etc etc... lets head over to the whiteboard... design me a set that provides insert()/contains()/clear() operations that all run in constant time (hint: garbage collection time counts, so you can't just make a wrapper class that points to a new set when you call clear())

Cool, cool, good stuff

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you don't get any fewer non-fizzbuzzers if you advertise for a senior dev position. you don't get any more than for the junior dev but you don't get any fewer. it's disappointing but it's how it is. you must give them a computer touching test, you can't avoid this

There is a difference between a tricky bullshit toy problem and an honest assessment of someone's skills via a practical coding assignment, usually a scaled down version of an actual problem they have.

Since I was just complaining about a horrible interview question, I'll mention the best coding question I've had lately (From a company that handles a lot of documents and CSVs and stuff... text data basically):

"Write me a function that takes a string, and have it return the language the string is in"

So its pretty open ended, my solution was to have a variety of sets of words from different languages, and go through the words in the supplied string (including removing capitalization, punctuation, newlines, etc etc) and tally up matches in various languages. The one with the most matches is the winner.

Maybe its not the best way to do it, but its some code that can be reasonably written and debugged in 20-30 minutes. There isn't a "trick" to it, just like there is rarely a "trick" to practical programming.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Yep agreed, and this is a great fit for a phone screen. Have a bunch of rapid-fire relatively easy to answer questions that you would expect anyone with some level of experience to know. If they flub a couple no big deal, but if they are on the strugglebus the whole time, hard pass. Spend ~45 minutes on the "are you an imposter or not" stuff, then 15 mins of letting them ask questions about the gig, concerns, or whatever. If you are the interviewee, this is a great time to ask some of the questions in the OP.

If you're asking fizz buzz in an onsite either the interview has gone drastically sideways b/c the candidate is extremely nervous, or bullshit their way this far (this has happened to me once or twice), or maybe you need to revisit what you're asking in the phone screen.

Feisty-Cadaver fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 9, 2019

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ADINSX posted:

"Write me a function that takes a string, and have it return the language the string is in"

lol if the solution isn't train a recurrent neural network on a bunch of freely available corpus overnight and be done with it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qhat posted:

lol if the solution isn't train a recurrent neural network on a bunch of freely available corpus overnight and be done with it

if you wanna write that using the standard python libraries in 30 minutes go ahead :p

I told them my real solution would probably just be this

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ADINSX posted:

if you wanna write that using the standard python libraries in 30 minutes go ahead :p

I told them my real solution would probably just be this

my answer was more facetious than an actual serious attempt to answer the question. i was more pointing out that the answer they most likely want is objectively the worst way of doing the thing they are asking.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

qhat posted:

my answer was more facetious than an actual serious attempt to answer the question. i was more pointing out that the answer they most likely want is objectively the worst way of doing the thing they are asking.

Yeah I figured, and nanh they were actually pretty cool about it, it was the closest I've gotten to actually enjoying an interview problem. That company had a lot of cool people... and a lot of tech debt... a whole lot of cool people and tech debt.

So maybe their interview technique didn't work at all :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ed: it is way too late for me to be postin' -_-

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

at my old org i used to think that the prevalence of tech debt would be a good thing for me since there'd be a lot of opportunity to spearhead some great initiatives, like devops and the like, and then getting recognized as a highly valuable employee. at least that's what i thought until i realized that the tech debt also prevented the good ideas from being taken seriously at all.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

at my old org i used to think that the prevalence of tech debt would be a good thing for me since there'd be a lot of opportunity to spearhead some great initiatives, like devops and the like, and then getting recognized as a highly valuable employee. at least that's what i thought until i realized that the tech debt also prevented the good ideas from being taken seriously at all.

how did this work? “we have mountains of tech dept please don’t suggest solutions”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

how did this work? “we have mountains of tech dept please don’t suggest solutions”?

"we want solutions to our problem with releases taking forever but nothing that involves any money or resources taken away from getting our releases out asap"