Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Head Bee Guy posted:

I tried getting through the newest Red Scare (I actually like their voices) but goddamn was that analysis of the contemporary left dumb as hell. Basically “everyone is cynically building their personal brand”

How is that not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The_Rob posted:

How is that not true?

If you wanna tell me that the people, say, organizing and taking part in the teachers strike are "brand building", I have a huge "gently caress you" I would like to register to you directly, and at maximum volume.

Maybe look beyond twitter and narcissistic media personalities that inhabit it (such as the red scare types) if you want to see the actual contemporary left.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mr. Lobe posted:

If you wanna tell me that the people, say, organizing and taking part in the teachers strike are "brand building", I have a huge "gently caress you" I would like to register to you directly, and at maximum volume.

Maybe look beyond twitter and narcissistic media personalities that inhabit it (such as the red scare types) if you want to see the actual contemporary left.

But those are literally the people they are talking about and people who represent the left in a public manner.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The_Rob posted:

But those are literally the people they are talking about and people who represent the left in a public manner.

I'm pretty sure the idea that anyone exists outside the media landscape, such that they could be identified as "the left", is lost on them because they exist in a peculiar socioeconomic bubble in which leftist ideology is a choice in fashion rather than a question of material stakes. I recommend you do not make the mistake of inhabiting that same narrow ideological landscape, especially if you have actual material stakes.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I’ll bet the whole reason some chud went at Matt about brutalism was the SA forums

They’ve never talked about brutalist architecture on the podcast but it’s a reoccurring derail in this thread and the other Chapo thread

online conservatives who discovered what brutalism is last year associate it with the soviet union and/or oppressive governments in general. I took it as a combination of "you like communism" and "look how erudite I am for knowing a type of architecture"

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

dirty lousy tramp posted:

Abducted in plain sight

I finally watched this doc because of this thread. What the gently caress????

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was in middle school when shock comedian Tom Green was diagnosed with testicular cancer and did a special on his ordeal, including showing surgery where a testicle and some damaged lymph nodes were removed.

As a quiet, awkward kid, I was a target for bullies. While riding my bike one day, I passed a group of kids, one of whom broke away to ride his bike up to me, and in an attempt to impugn on my masculinity, asked "Do you have a lymph node? :smug:" Then he asked if I sucked balls.

That devastating own is basically the same thing as the brutalist architecture thing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I finally rented Venom. Holy poo poo this movie is goopin bad.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's so bad

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I finally rented Venom. Holy poo poo this movie is goopin bad.

I watched The Predator last night, and felt it was hugely similar to Venom, they had a couple ideas in there that you could almost say are kinda novel or recognizable, but the end product is horrifically and incompetently executed, yet not fun enough to be a gotta see it to believe it movie.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Predator movie is something I should have been hugely excited for even if it's not good, but the trailer makes it look so loving bad I can't even bring myself to watch it for novelty's sake. it doesn't even look entertaining.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

veni veni veni posted:

The Predator movie is something I should have been hugely excited for even if it's not good, but the trailer makes it look so loving bad I can't even bring myself to watch it for novelty's sake. it doesn't even look entertaining.

Yeah, it was the first predator movie I know I'll never feel any desire to go back and rewatch.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Predator isn't something you can divorce from its premise. You stray from "an action movie that runs afoul of a horror movie" or start doing stupid poo poo like explaining why predators hunt, and you're just gonna end up with poo poo.

Pure poo poo.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

I watched The Predator last night, and felt it was hugely similar to Venom, they had a couple ideas in there that you could almost say are kinda novel or recognizable, but the end product is horrifically and incompetently executed, yet not fun enough to be a gotta see it to believe it movie.

Autism is a superpower and they will overwhelm us.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
A Shane Black Predator movie should've been such a home run though :sigh:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

101 posted:

A Shane Black Predator movie should've been such a home run though :sigh:

He's kind of a poo poo director.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The ending was so awful that I started to come around to the idea that the movie was made intentionally bad as part of some inscrutable inter-studio beef.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

rapeface posted:

it's so bad

It's also kinda funny near the end and the three way scene (and the callback to it at the end) was weird and hilarious

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ive always wanted fart jokes in my Predator

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K9AT3tQGbIk

The original theatrical trailer for Predator is fascinating to me. 1987 wasn’t that long ago, but I hardly even recognize this as a cultural artifact anymore. I don’t even know if it’s possible to cut a trailer like this today, and that’s kind of sad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Will-Amber episode is very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Predator isn't something you can divorce from its premise. You stray from "an action movie that runs afoul of a horror movie" or start doing stupid poo poo like explaining why predators hunt, and you're just gonna end up with poo poo.

Pure poo poo.

It's amazing that Predator 2 is one of the best examples of how to do a sequel, but both successive Predator sequels sucked rear end.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

For some reason I used to not like predator 2 but now I like it just fine.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kobayashi posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K9AT3tQGbIk

The original theatrical trailer for Predator is fascinating to me. 1987 wasn’t that long ago, but I hardly even recognize this as a cultural artifact anymore. I don’t even know if it’s possible to cut a trailer like this today, and that’s kind of sad.

87 was kind of a crazy year for movies. just for starters America's finest work of cinematic art, Robocop, was released that year.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Will-Amber episode is very good.

It was a good chaser after the CPAC episode for sure.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Gripweed posted:

It's amazing that Predator 2 is one of the best examples of how to do a sequel, but both successive Predator sequels sucked rear end.

What's wrong with Predators? It has Walton Goggins jumping on a Predator, calling him a 'space human being', and shanking him. Come on!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

What's wrong with Predators? It has Walton Goggins jumping on a Predator, calling him a 'space human being', and shanking him. Come on!

It's good, but the redesign for the "Eviler" Predators is super loving bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's good, but the redesign for the "Eviler" Predators is super loving bad.

The entire concept of eviler predators is stupid

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It was. I didn't care for that angle and seem to have blanked it from my memory.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The entire concept of eviler predators is stupid

Yeah it's an inherently stupid concept, made worse by making GBS threads on Stan Winston's masterpiece.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Whenever Amber isn't on the pod I'm asking: where's Amber?

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
amber is good. some of the regulars in the other chapo theard in cspam loving hate her some reason lol

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the message of the CPAC episode and Amber in general is that real change is in the streets and if you’re not already out there doing work in some capacity you’re missing the point.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Gripweed posted:

Predator 2 is so so good (not in, like, a straightforward way; it's sort of a totality of the circumstances thing) and it's a drat shame that it's basically been memory-holed by the culture at large.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

uber_stoat posted:

87 was kind of a crazy year for movies. just for starters America's finest work of cinematic art, Robocop, was released that year.

87 is probably the second best year of all time for Hollywood after 82 which has a staggering amount of good movies

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kobayashi posted:

I think the message of the CPAC episode and Amber in general is that real change is in the streets and if you’re not already out there doing work in some capacity you’re missing the point.

which is also why a lot of the Extremely Online fans don't like her I think, because yea she's the one most frequently going 'yea it's good to call Ben Shaprio a tiny bitch on Twitter but you really have to be actually out there somehow helping candidates and supporting campaigns and all otherwise you're just doing what the pepes do but for a less gross cause'.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

87 is probably the second best year of all time for Hollywood after 82 which has a staggering amount of good movies

2007 is an all-timer

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

2007 is an all-timer

2007 is just rmembered because of No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood. Besides that - what? Charlie Wilson's War? The Simpsons Movie?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Weembles posted:

2007 is just rmembered because of No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood. Besides that - what? Charlie Wilson's War? The Simpsons Movie?

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The Mist, Juken Sentai Gekiranger: Nei-Nei! Hou-Hou! Hong Kong Decisive Battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Weembles posted:

Michael Clayton