Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The end.

I set it up so I could launch rockets over and over with beacons to speed it up and such and, I have no desire to actually let it run and do that.

I went with no solar, no lasers, no removing cliffs or landfill. It really didn't matter at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Speedball posted:

Yeah, first time I saw someone create a giant pyramid of labs taking and feeding science bottles to each other in a network I went apeshit. "You can DO that?!"

I know you can do it, but I can't say I like it. It feels.... cheap.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I don't do that because I like seeing all the bottles lined up on the belts just waiting to be turned into sweet, sweet science.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The current release of Nuclear Fuel (0.2.0) makes the following changes/additions to vanilla:
  • Nuclear reprocessing technology now also unlocks breeder fuel cells: 1 plutonium and 19 U-238 yields 10 breeder cells
  • Reprocessing 20 spent uranium cells yields 12 U-238 (same ratio as vanilla) and also one plutonium
  • 1 plutonium plus 19 U-238 produces 10 breeder fuel cells
  • Breeder cells burn produce half the energy of uranium cells, but reprocessing 10 breeder cells yields 1 U-235 and 4 plutonium
  • Atomic bombs use plutonium instead of U-235, so you can't make nukes unless you have working nuclear reactors
  • Kovarex Process is replaced with MOX research (with the same science requirements), which unlocks a recipe that combines 1 plutonium and 9 U-238 to produce 10 uranium fuel cells
  • Nuclear rocket fuel is moved to its own tech, which also adds a recipe using plutonium instead of U-235, to provide a minor plutonium sink

The upshot of all this is that burning and reprocessing uranium cells yields a little plutonium, and burning and reprocessing breeder cells lossily transforms U-238 into more plutonium and a small amount of U-235. The MOX recipe makes more efficient use of U-238 and a way to use the surplus plutonium without generating even more of it, but a clean-burning nuclear power cycle that produces no surplus waste products requires the production of both breeder and uranium cells.

This is a bit messy and cumbersome.

What I am considering for Nuclear Fuel 0.3.0:
  • Reprocessing 10 spent uranium yields 5 U-238 and 1 plutonium
  • Breeder cells and spent breeder cell reprocessing are locked behind a new breeder tech which requires utility (yellow) science
  • Maybe remove the U-235 product from reprocessing spent breeder cells? Not sure about this.

The effect of these changes is that burning 10 uranium cells gives you enough plutonium to - with the addition of more U-238 - make 10 more uranium cells. This makes MOX a low-maintenance, no-surplus fuel cycle, at the cost of producing no leftover plutonium for radioactive rocket fuel or atomic weapons (unless you centrifuge up some more U-235).

The envisioned tech progression is therefore something like this:
  1. Blue science: Fissile material is initially very expensive (U-235 through centrifuging only at first), waste accumulates
  2. Purple science: Reprocessing tech allows recovery of U-238 and plutonium from waste, with the Pu taking up less space than the waste did
  3. Still purple: MOX allows for a clean-burning fuel loop which only requires topping up with U-238, but at the cost of producing no surplus Pu for nuclear weapons
  4. Yellow science: Breeder tech allows for (lossily) converting U-238 and a little plutonium into more plutonium for your weapons program

Thoughts?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there a satisfactory thread?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Speedball posted:

Yeah, first time I saw someone create a giant pyramid of labs taking and feeding science bottles to each other in a network I went apeshit. "You can DO that?!"

This isn't actually that great. Your labs are going to spend a lot of their time idle between when the old packs get snatched out of them and the new ones are fed in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to blow your mind with this, but you can feed science from one research lab into another with an inserter. You don't need to run belts to all your labs, just the first one.

Thanks, I briefly considered re-doing my labs to do that when I noticed that there were more than 4 science colors, but then I realized that I had accidentally left enough room on either side for that purple/yellow belt feed, and that was just easier to do than rebuild it all.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I don't do that because I like seeing all the bottles lined up on the belts just waiting to be turned into sweet, sweet science.

Also this!

ninjewtsu posted:

is there a satisfactory thread?

This thread is very satisfactory. :v:

Dr. Stab posted:

This isn't actually that great. Your labs are going to spend a lot of their time idle between when the old packs get snatched out of them and the new ones are fed in.

So I accidentally did it the right way. This is good to know!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 9, 2019

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

The Locator posted:

This thread is very satisfactory. :v:

Thank you for saying what we were all thinking.

As it turns out, someone just posted one:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884092

Watched some streams of it last night - looks alright but it's no Factorio. Maybe one day once it's had some more work done on it?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I have become quite fond of elaborate and overcomplicated belt weaving schemes, personally. I feel so disappointed by logistics bots because they make things so easy it feels like it is cheating.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

The Locator posted:

Thanks, I briefly considered re-doing my labs to do that when I noticed that there were more than 4 science colors, but then I realized that I had accidentally left enough room on either side for that purple/yellow belt feed, and that was just easier to do than rebuild it all.

It's worth noting that with red inserters and undergroundies there's no real problem in feeding an assembler or lab with 3 belts on a single side. So if you really want to have a purely belt fed 22 component recipe, you can.

E: I guess with weaving you can in fact have 45 belts/side, but I don't like weaving and prefer to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 9, 2019

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There's that one mod with 30 different science packs... And, unless I'm mistaken, weaving won't let you use more than 3 belts per side because there's only 3 spaces for inserters.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I like to use a sushi belt and the inserter trick so each column of labs can feed eachother (not in a pyramid configuration though). Once you have provider and requester chests it gets even easier. I doubt it's optimal but I play this game so slowly that not researching at 100 percent speed doesn't really make any difference to me. Waiting on research just means an opportunity to load up on concrete a go pave another quadrant of the map.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dancer posted:

There's that one mod with 30 different science packs... And, unless I'm mistaken, weaving won't let you use more than 3 belts per side because there's only 3 spaces for inserters.

You can get 23 belts in to an assembler and 1 belt out, with red inserters.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Dancer posted:

You can get 5 belts/side with classical parallel belts:

It doesn't actually work with yellow belts, even with all the undergroundies pointing the right way, but you get the idea.

Of course, you can trivially just run 2 separate weaved belts straight at the assembler for the aforementioned 24 belts in so not sure why I bothered to proof of concept the parallel thing above.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dr. Stab posted:

Are you sure about that? They load up multiple bottles and from the little I’ve seen they can load quicker than they get used (assuming the belts are full).

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The new copy paste function is pretty great!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Are you sure about that? They load up multiple bottles and from the little I’ve seen they can load quicker than they get used (assuming the belts are full).

The images aren't working in this old post and I don't know if they changed how it works since way back then but people did do testing of it and found you could see the labs being idle as science packs were distributed through the chain

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=46067

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think the problem is that the labs will only hold 2 or 3 bottles at a time, which is as many as inserters will grab with every cycle. So when it moves down the chain it pulls out all the bottles causing that blip.

I bet if you set inserters to only grab 1 at a time you might avoid that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I mean, just watch a long chain of labs working. The longer the chain, the more idle lab time you have. Once a lab finishes a research, it will take the science packs out of the lab in front of it, and that lab will be idle waiting for an inserter to snatch a pack from another lab, and so on down the chain.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Daisy chaining labs is not bad but it's not optimised. That's ok, most of your factorio career is spent deciding if you want to do an easy/neat/fun looking thing or hammer out the optimized thing and sometimes your answer to which to do changes over the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can do a variant, whereby you can make multiple chains, and faster inserters and larger stacks help minimise the amount of lag time.

You don't have to daisy chain them but I generally find it easier to do that and just add more labs and better inserters as needed.

Generally I also find that labs actually switch all their bottles simultaneously, so they all turn off for a moment and then back on again. Which is where faster inserters come in.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xerophyte posted:

It's worth noting that with red inserters and undergroundies there's no real problem in feeding an assembler or lab with 3 belts on a single side. So if you really want to have a purely belt fed 22 component recipe, you can.

E: I guess with weaving you can in fact have 45 belts/side, but I don't like weaving and prefer to pretend that it doesn't exist.

If you use each side of a belt for a different thing and you use underground belts to braid two different colors together you could technically transport 8 different ingredients in two belts' worth of horizontal space.

I just went with a simpler option though: One lab fed from both sides by 3 belts total, and then long inserters to connect it to a short daisy chain.

Not that I actually need it, seeing as I don't have purple/yellow/science yet.
When I eventually tech up to that, belting it all the way back here will probably be more effort than just rebuilding...

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 9, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's the other benefit of daisy chaining, you can use labs to feed other labs in order to simplify your belt layout.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

OwlFancier posted:

That's the other benefit of daisy chaining, you can use labs to feed other labs in order to simplify your belt layout.

Why would you ever want to simplify a complicated belt layout :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because despite enjoying the game belt layouts make bits of my brain run out of my ears.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
My personal favourite design is one I stole from somewhere and implemented in my megabase.

It gives all labs access to all science of course, and the loops mean that if you are low on a science colour it will continue past labs that are fed and distribute it to potentially any lab that needs it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Squibbles posted:

My personal favourite design is one I stole from somewhere and implemented in my megabase.

It gives all labs access to all science of course, and the loops mean that if you are low on a science colour it will continue past labs that are fed and distribute it to potentially any lab that needs it

If you're low on something make more

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Squibbles posted:

I might love this more than the sushi belt, I'm not sure. Excellent design!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If you use each side of a belt for a different thing and you use underground belts to braid two different colors together you could technically transport 8 different ingredients in two belts' worth of horizontal space.

I just went with a simpler option though: One lab fed from both sides by 3 belts total, and then long inserters to connect it to a short daisy chain.

Not that I actually need it, seeing as I don't have purple/yellow/science yet.
When I eventually tech up to that, belting it all the way back here will probably be more effort than just rebuilding...

Purple and yellow science need so much stuff that that's the point where I rebuild the start area as a mall for supplies and build a new science base with the volume to cope.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I was gonna work on getting lube up to my factory so I could start making robots but then all my starting resource patches started getting used up at once so I scrambled to figure out how to start bussing it in with trains instead.

Behold, my first ugly newbie train network! :toot:

No head-on collisions yet, although I did get run over once while standing in the middle of an intersection puzzling out where to put the chain signals.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No head-on collisions yet, although I did get run over once while standing in the middle of an intersection puzzling out where to put the chain signals.

That's part of the initiation process. Try making yourself a multi unloader like this

It makes more efficient use of space and it's ideal to feed into furnace lanes.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ratzap posted:

That's part of the initiation process. Try making yourself a multi unloader like this

It makes more efficient use of space and it's ideal to feed into furnace lanes.

I scolded my friends in MP for making such claustrophobic stations. There's no need to make them so small.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Mr. Powers posted:

I scolded my friends in MP for making such claustrophobic stations. There's no need to make them so small.

There is an elegance in the design that I can appreciate. Often, I feel like my drop-off stations are bloated.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Well I just got nuclear power automated now and I'm finally enjoying more power than what I know to do with, but I've noticed something terrible: my pollution game has taken a mega poo poo because of this. I can see my godamn base now and it's terrible.

Is there a way to on-purpose smog this poo poo back up? I want my biters to wake the gently caress up again.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 10, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Flare Stack allows conversion of both solids and liquids directly to pollution

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Well I just got nuclear power automated now and I'm finally enjoying more power than what I know to do with, but I've noticed something terrible: my pollution game has taken a mega poo poo because of this. I can see my godamn base now and it's terrible.

Is there a way to on-purpose smog this poo poo back up? I want my biters to wake the fiuck up again.

Move your old boiler/steam-engine setup to a different power network isolated from the main factory. Then waste 100% of its power doing something pointless like having inserters move items around in a circle, or having a bunch of speed-modded assembly machines barreling and unbarreling the same tank of fluid over and over again. That sweet, sweet coal-power pollution will come back in force.

Alternately, combine with that flare stack mod and pump all the steam from your coal boilers directly into an incinerator.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Alternately, combine with that flare stack mod and pump all the steam from your coal boilers directly into an incinerator.

I think I'm going to go with this method. Thanks guys.

I'll post some pictures of my base when I get around to it. It's still growing though and I have yet to launch a rocket.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr. Powers posted:

They don't need to be bigger at that stage either. Once I have beacons and blue belts there's more need for something wider. Mind you, this play through has been a lot smaller than usual with the pollution changes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Is there a way to on-purpose smog this poo poo back up? I want my biters to wake the fiuck up again.

1) Dirt and trees absorb pollution so paving as much as possible makes more pollution.

2) Assemblers generate pollution in proportion to the amount of power they consume. So beaconed set ups and nuclear power end up being more pollution just cramped into the smallest possible space.

3) Flamethrower turrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

M_Gargantua posted:

1) Dirt and trees absorb pollution so paving as much as possible makes more pollution.

Forest fires are Fun, produce a ton of pollution in their own right, and destroy forests. That's win/win/win