Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the best ideas never win when you have idiots in charge, only the ideas that come from people who are bigger friends with the C suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

i guess the lesson to be taken here is I may or may not be any good at touching computer, but interviewing remains garbage

:emptyquote:

E: I spent most of my (successful, as it turns out) second interview babbling about how the angle of the sun during rush hour at a curve in the freeway might cause a locally well-known daily traffic jam. I am very much not an engineer and it was very much not a highway engineering role. Interviewing is complete garbage, much like my posts.

E2: If H.P. (or other traffic-talking-mans) is reading this thread: is angle of the sun relative to the road surface at high traffic times looked at during road construction? Most people I know don’t seem to like to tear-rear end down the freeway at 70 per with the sun in they eyes?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 9, 2019

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i liked the onsite i went through. the "can you write computer code" question wasn't a toy problem but didn't include any algorithmic shenanigans, and the "can you algorithm" question didn't require any code (like i started but stumbled on a fencepost and it didn't matter). it really made me realize that tying together "can you think of a solution" with "can you implement a solution" multiplies their respective stresses and i think is a huge contributor to what makes technicals hell.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

qhat posted:

at my old org i used to think that the prevalence of tech debt would be a good thing for me since there'd be a lot of opportunity to spearhead some great initiatives, like devops and the like, and then getting recognized as a highly valuable employee. at least that's what i thought until i realized that the tech debt also prevented the good ideas from being taken seriously at all.

tech debt is the reification of org priorities

it exists as a conscious or unconscious choice of the org and work contra org culture is not going to be valued

unless you are hired by a c-level and have their full support (and can deliver quantifiable gains quickly), no ones going to value linting on commit when you should be shipping for revenue

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the poisonous culture that allowed the tech debt to accumulate is also extremely resistant to having someone come in and attack that debt (because it is also an attack on that culture, and specifically the people who created and perpetuate that culture)

im about ready to declare a perfectly inverse relationship between the degree a job posting/recruiter/interviewer talks about how they're looking to hire fresh, unconventional, out-of-the-box thinkers and the degree to which they'll be able to propose changes and try doing things differently

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tech debt is almost always a financial issue. nobody wants to spend the money now to improve things for the long term

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

tech debt is almost always a financial issue. nobody wants to spend the money now to improve things for the long term

long term doesn’t exist in publicly traded companies anymore. next quarter revenue or bust!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it also doesn't exist in privately held companies

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's one thing to convert a random recursive function into an iterative one, it's completely another to do it for a fairly involved algorithmic problem (BST reversal)

if I was ever doing the latter as part of my job I'd definitely use google to help

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

g'morning

i find this tech debt/code rot discussion interesting, partly because most of my accomplishments the last 10 years were around trying to resolve those via rewrites and the like, so I think about them a lot; and partly because the company i'm interviewing with mentioned similar refit-type work in their pipeline

(also they're privately owned, re: the latest discussion)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've basically decided to never work for a company again that doesn't have some kind of established process already in place when it comes to integration and deployment. I fixed the issue completely at my old company and only received a token reward, so it definitely wasn't worth it

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

so on the topic of "what would make a programming interview worthwhile", I had an onsite yesterday that was pretty interesting and different. I had to bring my own laptop in with a certain set of dependencies preinstalled, and there were questions where they'd give me a repo with a bug in it and had me track it down.

This seems way more in line with day-to-day software work, and I'd have been on board with this except that what language I'd like to use and, because it's easy to whiteboard, I say "oh I usually interview in python", so I had to figure out how to use a python debugger right on the spot in front of the interviewer :(

Still, though, seems less artificial and would be cool if that became the default.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
the big downside there is that you're requiring each candidate to have a laptop and time to janitor it to prepare for the interview

which, like, tradeoffs. everything has tradeoffs. so many of them seem to suck.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

raminasi posted:

the big downside there is that you're requiring each candidate to have a laptop and time to janitor it to prepare for the interview

I had one that also had me do a coding exercise on a laptop, and they offered me the choice of bringing my own or using a pre-set up provided one which seems like an okay option. like sure maybe you have some advantage if you have your own environment set up just how you like but also that’s gonna be the most like you’re gonna use day to day

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I had one that gave me a loving MacBook and I had to stop every two seconds to ask how to do esoteric tasks like "hit F12."

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

raminasi posted:

true but setup was literally "create a virtualenv, check this repo out, and pip install the repo's dependencies", so it wasn't that onerous in practice

(the bigger problem was that my "ancient" mac doesn't have modern video-out so I couldn't connect it to the conference room's monitor, so I needed an extra 30 seconds to dial into a zoom meeting, but even if I couldn't have done that they would have provided me a laptop anyway :shrug: )

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

software-engineering-adjacent roles seem to be a lot better with respect to interviews. i interviewed with raytheon for a binary exploitation role at the end of 2017, and we just did some binexp stuff together and it was dope. they just didn't wanna throw enough money at me to make moving to the east coast and doing three-letter contracting worth it so it didn't work out. i also got no-offer from an SF company in 2018, but their interview process was totally fine, it was just that they went with an internal transfer from the company that had just acquired them, and that person had a shitton of securing-big-data-pipeline experience that i didnt have. but i was super positive coming out of the interview, and if they had called me up before i started doing bigtech interviews i almost certainly would've taken an offer from them

i had similar results in my most recent crop of interviews: one for google (security engineer), one for amazon (system development engineer aka SRE), and one for a local ~450 person company where i would've basically been The Security Guy and starting their program from the ground up. anyway, the google and AWS interviews were generally reasonable and were obviously connected to the actual work being done. the local one was also totally reasonable, but less detailed technical discussion and more high-level. the google one was the hardest, but there wasn't any "sort a list with X constraints using the One Weird Trick you have to know" bullshit like a lot of the software engineering bigtech jobs require

basically i think if you have a specialty that builds off a development background, you don't have to deal with all the algorithm bullshit because they can just ask you about CBC padding oracles or whatever instead, so interviewing is a way more pleasant experience

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

I've always wanted to believe that binexp interviews would be super rad, glad to hear that's actually the case :shobon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

Chris Roberts account spotted

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

CPColin posted:

I had one that gave me a loving MacBook and I had to stop every two seconds to ask how to do esoteric tasks like "hit F12."

I had this happen to me, and I looked like an idiot being like, Alright, how do I open a web browser and a terminal?

Pretty sure it was part of why they decided to pass on me. Culture fit!!

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Had a decent interview last Monday and on COB Friday they responded asking for references and a call with their company's president. This is for starting up a small new department in a very established 100-person company. Not a sure bet but I'm in the running, so that's nice.

It's been a dog's age since I've thought about references. Anyone have thoughts on that?

So far for #1,#2 I've got my two best friends who are engineers and have known me for a long time.
For #3, I've been having a hell of a time tracking down my grad school project mentor. The backup plan is a boss that I had a long time ago who was a pretty big deal but now retired.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Double post YES!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Woodstock posted:

Had a decent interview last Monday and on COB Friday they responded asking for references and a call with their company's president. This is for starting up a small new department in a very established 100-person company. Not a sure bet but I'm in the running, so that's nice.

It's been a dog's age since I've thought about references. Anyone have thoughts on that?

So far for #1,#2 I've got my two best friends who are engineers and have known me for a long time.
For #3, I've been having a hell of a time tracking down my grad school project mentor. The backup plan is a boss that I had a long time ago who was a pretty big deal but now retired.

I think the best references are former bosses you have a good relationship with personally; but I also don't know how much stock anyone puts in references... If you can find 2 or 3 people to say "yeah they're fine" then I think you've checked that box. The fact that you're gonna be talking to the company president probably means you've more or less sealed the deal.

My references are a former boss I have a good relationship with, a former head architect I worked with and a long time friend/coworker software engineer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

cheque_some posted:

I had this happen to me, and I looked like an idiot being like, Alright, how do I open a web browser and a terminal?

Pretty sure it was part of why they decided to pass on me. Culture fit!!

this is the exact reason i took a mac at my current job, so I could learn enough of it to become more OS agnostic. ive used windows or linux stuff forever, but 97% of the company uses macs and the ones who don't always have problems integrating with stuff. thankfully they didn't give me a computer during the interview or i would have made the same mistakes you did. pretty bullshit reason to pass on a candidate

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
how do you interview complete newbies, guys fresh out of college with zero work experience? where do I start?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hackbunny posted:

how do you interview complete newbies, guys fresh out of college with zero work experience? where do I start?

0 work experience shouldn't mean 0 programming experience. ask about projects. school projects, side projects, whatever. also this is when those lame-rear end algorithms questions come in actually unironically handy

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

0 work experience shouldn't mean 0 programming experience. ask about projects. school projects, side projects, whatever. also this is when those lame-rear end algorithms questions come in actually unironically handy

To add to that, having interviewed a million college kids: If they've only done school assignments, almost certainly don't hire them. Even if their side projects are silly trivial things, that's still ok. Find out what they're passionate about or interested in and see if they can apply that to whatever their day-to-day would be.

otherwise, here's a handful of stuff I'll usually ask, copy pasta'd from an old text file
CS Concepts from School: Data Structures, Algorithms, Big-O run time, recursion
How does a Set work? HashMap?
What design/coding choices make code easier to test?
How do you test performance?
Where do you normally see performance issues in the code?
How would you go about diagnosing a performance problem in an application?
What is an example of a project/code you are proud of?
What's the most difficult programming challenge you have experienced?
problems you have seen in the real world that you think you could solve
The Bank Account Concurrency problem
How could simultaneous deposits in a multi-threaded environment cause issues for maintaining an accurate balance
What are the different ways you could make this thread safe
How does Google Maps work? When I type 123 sesame st into google, how does it know what address I want?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
most new college kids are weakest in testing ime. poke at their testing thoughts and poo poo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

To add to that, having interviewed a million college kids: If they've only done school assignments, almost certainly don't hire them. Even if their side projects are silly trivial things, that's still ok. Find out what they're passionate about or interested in and see if they can apply that to whatever their day-to-day would be.

Ya this is a big one. School projects, unless they are group projects, are very small in value and every rear end in a top hat in their class was forced to do the same thing. If the person went out and learned about stuff on their own, that's a good sign.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

bob dobbs is dead posted:

most new college kids are weakest in testing ime. poke at their testing thoughts and poo poo

lol I wrote my first test a week ago

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my biggest problem with people straight out of school has always been cowboy coders. absolutely make sure they’re competent but after that i want to know if they’re going to understand that they’re scrubs that don’t know poo poo or if they’re going to cop an attitude where nothing is their fault.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rex-Goliath posted:

my biggest problem with people straight out of school has always been cowboy coders. absolutely make sure they’re competent but after that i want to know if they’re going to understand that they’re scrubs that don’t know poo poo or if they’re going to cop an attitude where nothing is their fault.

My biggest thing, when testing in any language, do you know what (for example, C here) this represents: /* */

I don't do interviews but this would be my top question.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

if only there was a word in the english language for "an activity that a person with a lot of money demands another person to routinely perform before they will give that person a tiny portion of their money"

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
college kids usually aren't quite that jaded yet

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i know, that's why companies love shoving as many of them into the meat grinder as possible

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hackbunny posted:

hire the first one that knows how to use source control and understands why they should never, ever force push

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Stringent posted:

hire the first one that knows how to use source control and understands why they should never, ever force push

we use force push for squashing commits in the pr or branch before merge because some of the history has already been pushed to the remote

maybe the policy should be that the merger of the pr does the squash? not sure here

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
lol scm jargon

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts