Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a fun Muslim start? When I last played a bunch, years ago, I think Hashimids 1066 were good? Is that still true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

What's a fun Muslim start? When I last played a bunch, years ago, I think Hashimids 1066 were good? Is that still true?
Haesteinn of Nantes 867. Invade Ireland or someplace, raid the Umayyads until you capture a concubine, convert to her religion, and bring the world to the light of the True God.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

darthbob88 posted:

Haesteinn of Nantes 867. Invade Ireland or someplace, raid the Umayyads until you capture a concubine, convert to her religion, and bring the world to the light of the True God.

Don't even need the luck of the draw concubine, if you have territory in range you can join the assassins and become shia

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Muslim Sicily is also a real fun start if you just want to holy war it up. Probably at high risk of being a crusade target once you become too successful though.

The interesting characters guide might be of use.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Man I'm gonna have to figure out how the hell to deal with Sweden. If my idiot allies all heed the call, I could potentially have more troops until Sweden's allies come in.

But they control a big chunk of the Scandinavian area plus a lot in northern continental Europe. I'm slowly trying to grab all the land around them. I'm hoping maybe eventually they'll get sucked into another war and I can just invade while they're weak. I guess it would be easier to convert to a government type where I could raise levies instead of relying on allies to help, but that'd be a lot of reforms

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Node posted:

Thanks! I assume this would make achievements unattainable?

Yeah, definitely. I'm creeping up on 1200 hours with CK2 and still have a big fat goose egg for achievements because I like modding so much

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Coolguye posted:

dax poo poo

so i figured out the solution here, and it's deceptively simple. the secrets here are the pope, piety, and the hermetics.

reroll dax until he has a learning of at least 8. take the theology focus and join the hermetics.

ratfuck your liege out of his initial duchy and become a duke.

go about inviting all the envious lowborns you can find in the character finder. (this is a backup plan)

marry all of the lowborns to unwed courtiers in your uncle's court after making them your apprentice for a day. the combination of envious plus hermetic boost means that they will pretty much always like you a lot more than your uncle.

get to 177 piety as quick as possible. buy indulgences if you have to.

make sure your uncle marries well. none of this chaste poo poo. he needs a fertile wife.

chill. he should have a kid in fairly short order. this will probably coincide with your first 5 years running out and the ability to change focuses.

once he has a son, you can give him 2 years for plan a, which is die naturally. if he isn't, it's time for plan b.

switch to intrigue focus and plot to kill him. recruit all of the envious hermetics you seeded in his court and bribe anyone else you need. just make sure he shuffles off before his son turns 5.

get a claim on the duchy from the pope. if the current ruler is <5 he gets "target is an infant +50" on his decisionmaking. this saves you the trouble of having to kill multiple kinsmen to get to the ducal seat. the time you have spent improving relations with your chancellor and hopefully gaining virtues/losing vices with the theology focus should seal the deal.

once you have a claim you can then press it against your infant cousin and gain the ducal title lawfully.

an alternate version of this plan is to press your grandson's claim for the ducal title and hire mercs to really stomp your uncle's troops into the ground, then request the claim and turn on him while he's still a kid. this is the route i take if an assassination is clearly not going to work, like if my uncle is a quick elusive shadow and i've got 0 intrigue or something. the overall goal is to get an infant in the ducal seat so the pope will give you a personal pressable claim easily.

months later edit: i have recently started to favor just going monastic instead of hermetic because the pope is so valuable in this startup. being a hermetic kind of annoys him so it's easier to just go monastic. seeding a target with high-intrigue, envious courtiers still works fine, just be ready to pay them the 15 coins to make them follow your orders.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 22, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My dynasties bloodlines:

I think my post conquest goal will be consolidating all the bloodlines.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Good advice
It worked.

I starting raiding the HRE a bunch and then hit them with an invasion as soon as they were busy with a crusade* and took their land pretty easily.

Now to apply the same methods to the Abbasids, after I beat of their most recent Jihad and the continent shall be mine alone!

*Against Byzantium. Resulting in this mess:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 6, 2019

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Playing as germanic pagans in 867 start, is there any reason not to work towards reforming and becoming feudal asap?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Only because reforming and becoming a merchant republic with raiding and concubines is funnier

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

Playing as germanic pagans in 867 start, is there any reason not to work towards reforming and becoming feudal asap?

There's really never a reason not to reform. Unless you go on a world conquering spree early, the feudal realms will sooner or later overpower you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You can also just take the easy way, convert to an already organized religion (either just on your own or with your entire society all at once) and go ham on your dirty heathen neighbors with the option to go on crusades and pilgrimages as well.

Capture the Germanic holy sites anyways and raze them to the ground.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SlothfulCobra posted:

You can also just take the easy way, convert to an already organized religion (either just on your own or with your entire society all at once) and go ham on your dirty heathen neighbors with the option to go on crusades and pilgrimages as well.

Capture the Germanic holy sites anyways and raze them to the ground.

Gross

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah you're a piece of poo poo

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is it possible to get the Kingdom of David achievement by somehow getting a Jewish heir and doing it that way, or do you have to do the Seimen start?

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 8, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

HiP allows pagans who jack their crown authority high enough to upgrade to feudal even without reforming the religion, it’s a good change imo.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Is it possible to get the Kingdom of David achievement by somehow getting a Jewish heir and doing it that way, or do you have to do the Seimen start?

I think you can do it by getting a Jewish courtier to tutor your heir. They sometimes show up randomly if you haven't expelled the Jews from your land, but if you have Conclave, you can spend money to buy a favor, and use it to have someone say yes to an invitation to court. I've heard, but I haven't confirmed, that if you own Jeruselem, you can right-click on the shield and pick "Convert to Judaism" if your character is not Zealous.

Personally, I did it by having Monks and Mystics and running a secret Jewish cult for 200 years, which made for some funny moments like when the Shia Caliph was the head of the Jewish Secret Society, or when an AI character who had violently rejected his family's 200-year secret Judaism tradition somehow managed to murder his way into the player character, and then have Mecca announce that is was converting to Judaism while he was on Hajj. I recommend this route for 10/10 hilarity.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Catalina posted:

Personally, I did it by having Monks and Mystics and running a secret Jewish cult for 200 years, which made for some funny moments like when the Shia Caliph was the head of the Jewish Secret Society, or when an AI character who had violently rejected his family's 200-year secret Judaism tradition somehow managed to murder his way into the player character, and then have Mecca announce that is was converting to Judaism while he was on Hajj. I recommend this route for 10/10 hilarity.

I loving love Crusader Kings 2. :allears:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I loving love Crusader Kings 2. :allears:

I do too. :allears:

Somehow, I just reached the 2000 hour mark for hours played in this household, though about 3/4th's of that is mine. Man, do I have so many screenshots and stories. For instance, in that playthrough, my character was trying to introduce Judaism to his son when the son turned 8, and the son violently rejected it and became enemies with the father. When he turned 16, he became a homosexual and a drunk, and started contributing to the family Decadence score. So not only was he going to NOT be Jewish, he was determined to tank our standing in the Islamic world as well, destabilizing our rule and putting us in danger. I figured, welp, jail for this guy, but he managed to run off to southern Spain, where he wasn't affecting the Decadence any more, so I figured it was okay, as he was like a 3rd son and my first one had just started producing heirs.

In the meantime, my guy was writing a book on warfare, and when it came back, it was a book entirely about how much of an rear end in a top hat he thought his son was. Now, I said earlier that the son actually ended up stabbing his way into being the Player Character, that happened because I inherited as his brother and noticed he had stopped being Decadent, and I actually felt pretty sorry for him, so I invited him back to court and gave him some land. Hundreds of in-game years of not getting murdered, I was way too overconfident in my ability to fend off plots. This guy managed to stab his way through 2 brothers and 2 7/8-year old nephews. I have a screenshot of him as ruler with the title "The Butcher" because he killed so many relatives, and burned so many secretly-Jewish wives at the stake, and in his inventory the book his father wrote about how much of an rear end in a top hat he was, giving him Martial and Personal Combat bonuses.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Catalina posted:

I think you can do it by getting a Jewish courtier to tutor your heir. They sometimes show up randomly if you haven't expelled the Jews from your land, but if you have Conclave, you can spend money to buy a favor, and use it to have someone say yes to an invitation to court. I've heard, but I haven't confirmed, that if you own Jeruselem, you can right-click on the shield and pick "Convert to Judaism" if your character is not Zealous.

It's pretty easy to do as Khazars since they get the random Jewish courtiers the same way Christians do, regardless of their religion. And conquering Jerusalem is pretty easy to do as a nomad.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Catalina posted:

I do too. :allears:

Somehow, I just reached the 2000 hour mark for hours played in this household, though about 3/4th's of that is mine. Man, do I have so many screenshots and stories. For instance, in that playthrough, my character was trying to introduce Judaism to his son when the son turned 8, and the son violently rejected it and became enemies with the father. When he turned 16, he became a homosexual and a drunk, and started contributing to the family Decadence score. So not only was he going to NOT be Jewish, he was determined to tank our standing in the Islamic world as well, destabilizing our rule and putting us in danger. I figured, welp, jail for this guy, but he managed to run off to southern Spain, where he wasn't affecting the Decadence any more, so I figured it was okay, as he was like a 3rd son and my first one had just started producing heirs.

In the meantime, my guy was writing a book on warfare, and when it came back, it was a book entirely about how much of an rear end in a top hat he thought his son was. Now, I said earlier that the son actually ended up stabbing his way into being the Player Character, that happened because I inherited as his brother and noticed he had stopped being Decadent, and I actually felt pretty sorry for him, so I invited him back to court and gave him some land. Hundreds of in-game years of not getting murdered, I was way too overconfident in my ability to fend off plots. This guy managed to stab his way through 2 brothers and 2 7/8-year old nephews. I have a screenshot of him as ruler with the title "The Butcher" because he killed so many relatives, and burned so many secretly-Jewish wives at the stake, and in his inventory the book his father wrote about how much of an rear end in a top hat he was, giving him Martial and Personal Combat bonuses.

Stuff like this is a sign that we should have a separate story thread for all the hosed up poo poo that happens in our CK2 games. It's such an amazing setup for amazing stories.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is there a way to get rid of that bug where children born after their father's death aren't part of his dynasty? It's really messing me up.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Needs a patch. Actually quite a few things need a patch, dunno what Paradox are up to without a bugfix patch for so long

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New dev diary, wonders update will be released on April 2nd
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/dev-diary-115-great-work.1158752/

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Oh man, it’s free? That’s nice.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gonna build a pyramid in the Tarim Basin.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Reykjavik.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bold Robot posted:

Going feudal will destroy your levies and you probably won't recover your numbers for quite some time. The troop quality will be better, but it's easy to drop from 15K down to 2 or 3 once the decision pops. I always make sure I have retinues in place to keep that numerical superiority, both over my vassals and my heathen neighbors. You also need the numbers for raiding so that's another consideration.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Bold Robot posted:

it does not need to be ASAP. Only when you are tired of gavelkind / when you want to hold multiple kingdom titles without losing some when you die. It is good to be in position to do it ASAP but pulling the trigger does not need to be particularly rushed if you are still reaping the benefits of tribal life. As said Just plan to have all levies smashed for a while. This can be mitigated through a fat retinue or a fat stack of cash to spend on mercs if needed.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I personally did it by picking the King of Abysinnia in 769. He starts next to Seimen, so you can quickly holy war it down, change your capital to Seimen, and then convert that way. The reason to go with the King of Abysinnia instead of Seimen (apart from the big power difference) is that Mikael Solomonid starts with the "Blood of Solomon" bloodline. All your Jewish/East African/Miaphysite subjects will like you more, and having a descendant of Solomon build the Third Temple is pretty neat.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My unwanted heir Knud Girl-Arm is a medical miracle: he has beaten cancer, consumption, and smallpox. The year is 906. :wtc:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I personally did it by picking the King of Abysinnia in 769. He starts next to Seimen, so you can quickly holy war it down, change your capital to Seimen, and then convert that way. The reason to go with the King of Abysinnia instead of Seimen (apart from the big power difference) is that Mikael Solomonid starts with the "Blood of Solomon" bloodline. All your Jewish/East African/Miaphysite subjects will like you more, and having a descendant of Solomon build the Third Temple is pretty neat.

This sounds extremely rad. How do you go about converting to Judaism?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Funky Valentine posted:

It has mummies already, so why not add a pyramid.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 9, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rajas of India added a decision to convert to the religion of your capital county. So by conquering Semien and then moving your capital there, you can pick up Judaism as any ruler since it starts the game as one of the few counties that has it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Rajas of India added a decision to convert to the religion of your capital county. So by conquering Semien and then moving your capital there, you can pick up Judaism as any ruler since it starts the game as one of the few counties that has it.

This. You could also just wait for a Jewish courtier to randomly show up (or poach one) and have them educate your kids in their religion, but this is faster and more certain. You'll want to shift the capital again as soon as the decision becomes available, because Semien is not a particularly rich province and there are way better choices in the area.

Abyssinia starts in a really strong position next to two Silk Road trading posts, which poo poo money, and several more not that far away in Egypt. On top of that, there are no Merchant Republics in the Red Sea area in 769. If you grant a Duchy to a Burgher, you'll make a vassal Republic that you can harvest for sweet, sweet cash. On the military front, you're in a nicely defensible spot with your only real threat a good distance away (the Abbassids). You also get immediate access to an utterly busted cultural retinue unit (Ethiopian Skirmishers).

They are extremely easy. Your greatest challenge will be staving off boredom waiting for the Abbassids to collapse from decadence. That, and resisting the temptation to conquer all of Africa via Holy Wars and jacking your Threat up to ludicrous levels.

e: Almost forgot--as if all that poo poo wasn't enough, Abyssinia starts in diplomatic range of China. Every ruler should go Kowtow to China because the natural Prestige gain from being a Solomonid cancels out the loss from Kowtowing. Chinese Brides are especially great for Jewish leaders because your choices are otherwise rather slim in the early going.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 9, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Light infantry sucks but it is fun having a giant fuckoff retinue.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Volkerball posted:

Light infantry sucks but it is fun having a giant fuckoff retinue.

Your enemies won't have anything better in 769 Abyssinia, so drowning them in light infantry Just Works™.

Having that giant fuckoff retinue also means that no one will rebel unless you goad them into it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Abbasids will be a bit more resistant, but you can still drown them. I took out China with that retinue. Probably lost 500,000 men along the way, but a W is a W.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Marry a Jewish nomad girl (there are a bunch in the early starts) and there shoild be an option to convert to her religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm having a weird thing happen as viking Denmark from the 867 start where I have tons of prisoners for unclear reasons. Right now it's 927, I have 113 prisoners, including the Emperor of Francia whom I don't remember capturing. A few years ago I noticed that my wife had somehow ended up in my prison, I have no idea how. I have been raiding here and there but have not captured nearly as many as this. What's going on?