Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

This is beautifully done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Mikl posted:

I appreciate Arlo and Janis. Not many comic strips make a not-so-subtle "yep, they are still loving" the punchline.

I'm quite sure it's a daylight savings time joke. I spent the last few days going through Arlo and Janis on Gocomics. Although there's a good amount of sex related punch lines, a lot of jokes relate to the more benign and relatable quirks of each characters well developed personality. For example, one of Arlo's big traits is an obsession with counting daylight hours.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

computer angel posted:

I'm quite sure it's a daylight savings time joke. I spent the last few days going through Arlo and Janis on Gocomics. Although there's a good amount of sex related punch lines, a lot of jokes relate to the more benign and relatable quirks of each characters well developed personality. For example, one of Arlo's big traits is an obsession with counting daylight hours.

When A+J is talking about sex, it's pretty obvious. Definitely a DST joke.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I think being able to read it either way was intentional and part of the fun of it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

I SWORE I wouldn't be the person who nerds out over comic strips but...

Those guys are in Palermo, Italy. A pretty long way from France.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pastry of the Year posted:

I think being able to read it either way was intentional and part of the fun of it.

I think Janis meant DST and Arlo may have had an errant thought in response

The ambiguity is the joke, though. I agree. I wouldn't think so if I didn't know how A&J operates, though

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Howard Beale posted:

The birds won't know you built the lovely one. A+ parenting there, John.

why'd he even make a better looking one instead of helping more with hers

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Double entendre are art.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ffffffFFFFFFUCKOFF

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What's the joke? Is it wordplay on "refraction"?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Caphi posted:

The "joke" is a regressive poo poo, pearl-clutching about plastic straw bans; "children might not grow up exactly like me!" *swoons to the floor*

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING THE STRAW INDUSTRY!! Shut the gently caress up you elderly baby. This whole straw thing is turning into OBAMA WANTS TO BAN THE GOOD LIGHTBULBS all over agian.

Caphi posted:

What's the joke? Is it wordplay on "refractio

No, it's literally that Millennials and younger are moving away from plastic straws for environmental reasons and some restaurants are choosing not to offer them anymore. Whether this actually does any good or is just a way to show off how green you are without making any real changes is debatable, but we will never have the actual debate because to the addled elderly mind wanting more environmentally friendly straw options equals LIBERALS ARE MAKING IT ILLEGAL TO DRINK FROM A STRAW.

No, really. I know we're not supposed to agree with Tara Starr because she's a Bad Girl who is a Bad Influence on Luann and also Probably A Slut, but seriously. So?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I just like how it's a given that there's only one Doug on that dating website.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Double Collins

Johnny Arse would make a decent avatar, I think.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
One Big Happy can gently caress right off with this poo poo. I feel like it used to be more cute and less old-man-yells-at-cloud, but maybe that's selective memory.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe, just maybe, Luann is supposed to be the one that looks dumb here? I guess time will tell

And also what the gently caress Curtis

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
love my 8 track sized game controller

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

One Big Happy can gently caress right off with this poo poo. I feel like it used to be more cute and less old-man-yells-at-cloud, but maybe that's selective memory.

No, I had the exact same feeling. With some people it's like, at a certain age, a switch gets flipped to 'permanent trite and predictable assholery.'

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Maybe, just maybe, Luann is supposed to be the one that looks dumb here? I guess time will tell

If you took anything in Luann at face value that would be the case, because she comes off as basically the lamest person in existence. But this is Luann and she'll somehow be vindicated and I'll jump out a window

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Raskolnikov38 posted:

love my 8 track sized game controller
The giant rectangular controller fits right in with Curtis's taste in 90s-era rap music.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So not even gonna bother to say you're proud of your kid? Okay then!

PuddingKnight posted:

why'd he even make a better looking one instead of helping more with hers

See that would require having meaningful and positive interaction with your kid, and Lynn Johnston won't have any of that.

davidspackage posted:

ffffffFFFFFFUCKOFF

kidcoelacanth posted:

If you took anything in Luann at face value that would be the case, because she comes off as basically the lamest person in existence. But this is Luann and she'll somehow be vindicated and I'll jump out a window

Now the real question is how this stupid comic will vindicate Luann. It's possible Doug is a cheating jackass trying to date multiple ladies at the same time, but I feel like that would be too logical for this comic.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vargo posted:

Maybe (just maybe) that particular aspect of it wasn't always as obvious, but it's been bad forever for at least adjacent reasons. The petty disdain for all things not blandly suburban hiding behind folksy neighborliness, that's all baked into its core substance.

Luann, man, I dunno. I feel like Karen Evans maybe didn't have the best time in high school and college is all I'm gonna say.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

plainswalker75 posted:

The "joke" is a regressive poo poo, pearl-clutching about plastic straw bans; "children might not grow up exactly like me!" *swoons to the floor*

Julet Esqu posted:

MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING THE STRAW INDUSTRY!! Shut the gently caress up you elderly baby. This whole straw thing is turning into OBAMA WANTS TO BAN THE GOOD LIGHTBULBS all over agian.

No, it's literally that Millennials and younger are moving away from plastic straws for environmental reasons and some restaurants are choosing not to offer them anymore. Whether this actually does any good or is just a way to show off how green you are without making any real changes is debatable, but we will never have the actual debate because to the addled elderly mind wanting more environmentally friendly straw options equals LIBERALS ARE MAKING IT ILLEGAL TO DRINK FROM A STRAW.

They actually have this at my workplace (not removing straws, just some signs up that have some "have you considered: not using straws?" type slogan on them next to the drink machines) and I didn't even realize it was a controversy to anyone. :shrug:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bloop posted:

And also what the gently caress Curtis
I'm not so sure this is going in the direction this thread is predicting so I'm giving Luann the benefit of the doubt for now too.

F Minus

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Oh yeah remember that?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Exactly. Here in the real world, a guy or girl on a dating app who messages multiple people is not inherently a scumbag. A guy or girl who goes on actual dates with multiple people until they decide to settle on one (or not) is not inherently a scumbag, as long as nobody involved is under the impression that the relationship is exclusive.

But this is Luann. And a boy who would flirt with one girl and then also flirt with another girl is NOT a nice boy and NOT the kind of boy who should be dating our sweet baby daughter Luann! The fact that Luann is having misgivings is evidence that this is true. Go with your gut, Luann! The Evans Overlords will require justice!

amigolupus posted:

Now the real question is how this stupid comic will vindicate Luann. It's possible Doug is a cheating jackass trying to date multiple ladies at the same time, but I feel like that would be too logical for this comic.

Perhaps he is trying to deceive young ladies. Perhaps he is an ugly nerdlinger. Perhaps he is a flashy smooth guy. Perhaps he is a foreign catfisher. Perhaps he is Les (who we know also likes to date multiple girls he meets on that app). But one certain truth is he will be Unsuitable.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Perhaps he is an ugly nerdlinger.

It's that TA under a fake name.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Pastry of the Year posted:

You think they'd only be at it for an hour?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Putting my vote in for this.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Oh yeah remember that?

That was some scary poo poo for network TV in the 70s.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark Trail

Oh yeah remember that?

I remember that!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zerilan posted:

But they have pictures! I assume.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Caphi posted:

I think that's probably the intended joke but much like the Arlo and Janis that's been talked about the alternate political interpretation was probably just as deliberate. Wordplay is pretty bad though. "So that straw's ILLEGAL now!?" would have worked a lot better and offered a lot more plausible deniability.

Julet Esqu posted:

Exactly. Here in the real world, a guy or girl on a dating app who messages multiple people is not inherently a scumbag.

In the real world a guy on a dating app who doesn't message multiple people at once is a guy who might as well not be using a dating app at all.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Not actually sanctioned by Buddhism by the way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 11/10/52

Mopsy 9/10/41

e:

Angular Cyrus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 10, 2019

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

But they have pictures! I assume.

It's Date-pic.

gently caress you Evanses.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a) i'm okay with wasting four strips wanking off trudeau since it led directly to the phantom's laundry service

b) luann needs to invest in cats

c) good to see that doll in mark trail for the third or fourth time. really just a master of long-form storytelling, this james allen.

d) here is, as far as i can find, the very first nekonaughey. i have spent some time thinking about sound effects and how to best translate them without it being to the detriment of the visual medium, which of course will necessarily constantly change because goddammit english takes up a lot of paper space comparatively. if you guys have feedback, let me know. i'm thinking about working my way through the catalogue to do full translations and dump them into imgur albums.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ghostlight posted:

d) here is, as far as i can find, the very first nekonaughey. i have spent some time thinking about sound effects and how to best translate them without it being to the detriment of the visual medium, which of course will necessarily constantly change because goddammit english takes up a lot of paper space comparatively. if you guys have feedback, let me know. i'm thinking about working my way through the catalogue to do full translations and dump them into imgur albums.

Yes! Yes yes yes!

I don't think you need to translate sound effects if they're self-evident, like this one, but the title translations are great. Also oh Nekonaughey :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Caphi posted:

They actually have this at my workplace (not removing straws, just some signs up that have some "have you considered: not using straws?" type slogan on them next to the drink machines) and I didn't even realize it was a controversy to anyone. :shrug:

Conservatives are fueled purely on spite now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjonGtrCyVE