Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Well here's my money Activision, you better more games on GOG now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Veib posted:

I hope this means Warcraft 1 & 2 are also on their way because those three games have never been digitally available as Blizzard's own old games store starts from Starcraft.
They just confirmed it, scroll down to the last question.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Have Warcraft 1 and 2 ever been available digitally before? Because if not that's a really good get.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://mobile.twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1103659078595809280

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lucinice posted:

Have Warcraft 1 and 2 ever been available digitally before? Because if not that's a really good get.
Nope.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

so GOG probably isnt going out of business soon like some people were thinking lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Minor caveat to be aware of;

quote:

The GOG-enhanced version offers several quality of life additions, including minor audio fixes, up-scaling support for resolution and refresh rate control, and compatibility fixes. Please note that this version cannot connect to Battle.net and only supports multiplayer via LAN and P2P connection.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Freaky, I thought about Diablo a couple of days ago, wondering if it was available digitally.

The atmosphere of this game is so good.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FRESH MEAT!
*casts Firewall*
UUH-UUH-UUH-UUH-UUH-UUH-UUH
*Butcher dies*

I think the Diablo demo was just 3 floors, but I played the poo poo out of it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The mail from GoG says it includes both the original version with Battle.net support or the upgraded-version with win10 compatibility but only singleplayer mode, pretty nifty.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Sweet!! Now if they could get Hellfire as well (I don't care that it wasn't an amazing expansion, that game was fun) then we will be set.

I kinda wish I could show proof of my copies currently in my possession so I don't have to pay again

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Aces High posted:

Sweet!! Now if they could get Hellfire as well (I don't care that it wasn't an amazing expansion, that game was fun) then we will be set.

I kinda wish I could show proof of my copies currently in my possession so I don't have to pay again

Youre paying for permanent digital access in ~the cloud~ if gog offered this service they would make a lot less money. Especially for games without cd keys

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Aces High posted:

Blizzard's blog post says "We have no plans to bring Diablo: Hellfire to GOG.COM at this time", and given it was developed by a third party I doubt it'll ever be exhumed.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

The lack of mac support makes me sad, especially since until Overwatch Blizzard was one of the most reliable mac game devs. :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Kins posted:

Blizzard's blog post says "We have no plans to bring Diablo: Hellfire to GOG.COM at this time", and given it was developed by a third party I doubt it'll ever be exhumed.

It was developed by Synergistic systems, which was acquired by Sierra, which in turn was acquired by Activision, so it's not outside the realm of possibility. But they might not have the source code or whatever.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Blizzard's old titles being available is huge. It's almost a crime that Diablo, Warcraft 1 and 2 weren't available through legal means given how good both were.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

xarph posted:

The lack of mac support makes me sad, especially since until Overwatch Blizzard was one of the most reliable mac game devs. :(

There were some pretty good games on old mac os systems which makes me sad because there's really no way to play them outside of a virtual installation.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I was gonna say "what about Blackthorne" but apparently you can download it as freeware if you make a battle.net account.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Mattress posted:

I was gonna say "what about Blackthorne" but apparently you can download it as freeware if you make a battle.net account.
Blackthorne is the only Prince of Persia-like which lets you noscope orcs and it will always have a place in my heart for that reason.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

whhaaaaatt!!

How on Earth did GoG manage to pry these out of the Blizzard vault?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cat Mattress posted:

Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, and an extremely butchered version of Rock 'n Roll Racing, a game that never had a PC version so it's a modified SNES ROM running on ZSNES with the music removed and replaced by a looping MP3 that starts on boot-up and never stops.

Also I believe StarCraft Anthology is free now (the non-Remastered version)

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 8, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

whhaaaaatt!!

Gotta pay Bobby Kotick’s bonus somehow

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

OhFunny posted:

whhaaaaatt!!

Positive karma. Positive karma from refusing to engage with Cleveland "Cleve" Blakemore at any level.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, you can get Blackthorne and Lost Vikings as freeware through Battle.net, but Diablo and Warcraft 1 & 2 were never offered through official channels until now. Only way I was able to get Diablo 1 digitally was through :filez:

Hm, I guess that means I should delete it now...

Veib posted:

Holy poo poo

Diablo 1 probably doesn't hold up very well at all but I played and loved it so much at the time.

I hope this means Warcraft 1 & 2 are also on their way because those three games have never been digitally available as Blizzard's own old games store starts from Starcraft.

I played through Diablo 1 for the first time roughly two-to-three years ago, but when I played it, I used a mod called Belzebub. It adds a bunch of quality-of-life features from Diablo 2, like TAB-key highlighting of items, spacious storage chests (one character specific and one that lets you trade items between characters), and difficulty levels.

In addition, it also adds a ton of new content. The Barbarian, Necromancer, and Assassin classes are added (they just use palette swaps/voice-pitched versions of the Fighter/Rogue/Wizard). There's also a slew of new quests, most (if not all) of which are based off quests that were cut from the original game (the townsfolk all have dialog pertaining to them). It also changes up some of the regular quests as well.

The trade-off, though, is that while a lot of the new content is interesting, it's also not optional. The QoL changes are nice, but there's no way you can choose to play with just those alone. That might not sound like a issue, and it really isn't, but it would be nice if there was an option. I also got the impression that the new content is meant to be more difficult than the standalone game. The biggest one is probably the restoration of the Map of the Stars.

EDIT: There's also another mod by the same team called Tchernobog, that offers multiplayer, but I never tried it. In both cases, the work on the mods seems to have stopped.

There's another mod called The Hell 2, which I don't know much about, but apparently it also adds in some QoL features as well.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 8, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I realised that GOG was utterly clever bollocks when they brought back System Shock 2. Since then, I have ceased to underestimate their ability to pry any game from the lost annals of history and companies that don't give enough of a gently caress to sell their work, but will sue your clangers to a wall if you download their work for free. I'm not a betting man but, if I were, I would put money on them eventually unearthing the NOFL games.

Max Wilco posted:

I played through Diablo 1 for the first time roughly two-to-three years ago, but when I played it, I used a mod called Belzebub. It adds a bunch of quality-of-life features from Diablo 2, like TAB-key highlighting of items, spacious storage chests (one character specific and one that lets you trade items between characters), and difficulty levels.

This looks glorious, thank you.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
GOG didn’t though, that was mostly Nightdive that put the effort into tracking down and buying out all the IP holders for System Shock

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Party Plane Jones posted:

GOG didn’t though, that was mostly Nightdive that put the effort into tracking down and buying out all the IP holders for System Shock

And they were unfortantel defeated in their quest for NOLF. No one is sure who owns the rights and the companies that might want to get paid before they even bother to check.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Party Plane Jones posted:

I would have to presume that GOG had some major part to play as they had unique rights to tell SS2 for some months after release. Steam had to wait 4-6 months, I believe, before they had the game as well. I have to assume that this was a concession made to GOG for their help as Nightdive would naturally have wanted to be on Steam from day one as they would be exposed to many more customers.

Skwirl posted:

And they were unfortantel defeated in their quest for NOLF. No one is sure who owns the rights and the companies that might want to get paid before they even bother to check.

I'm very sad to hear this, but I will unapologetically play so-called "pirated" versions in the mean time. The fact that it is somehow illegal to play a game freely distributed when nobody cares enough to find out who owns it, much less sell it, is bullshit; the fact the people who aren't corporate stooges and their lawyers agree with this practice is even more rubbish.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think the only thing I really want from a Diablo mod is one that allows you to do LAN playing and you can still do the single player quests, as opposed to only having King Leoric to contend with until Lazarus and Diablo. That or one that enables the Hell and Nightmare difficulties to actually encourage either new game+ or just more challenging new games.

I say this because I have a few friends interested in the game but they're more inclined to try it out first with someone who is very familiar with it, and it's kind of hard to show off what makes the game so memorable (The Butcher, for example) when that content isn't available through online play

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Will that sweet Lord of the Rings RTS game based on the movies ever be re-released and patched :(

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Aces High posted:

I think the only thing I really want from a Diablo mod is one that allows you to do LAN playing and you can still do the single player quests, as opposed to only having King Leoric to contend with until Lazarus and Diablo. That or one that enables the Hell and Nightmare difficulties to actually encourage either new game+ or just more challenging new games.

I say this because I have a few friends interested in the game but they're more inclined to try it out first with someone who is very familiar with it, and it's kind of hard to show off what makes the game so memorable (The Butcher, for example) when that content isn't available through online play

I'm not sure, but I think the Tchernobog mod I linked does that. Both it and The Hell 2 mod have multiplayer outside of BattleNet, but I can't confirm they enable all the quests in multiplayer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Buller posted:

Will that sweet Lord of the Rings RTS game based on the movies ever be re-released and patched :(

There's nothing worse than licensed games. Since it's based on the movies, GOG would need to deal with 1. the developers, 2. the original publishers, 3. the movies' rightholders, and of course 4. the Tolkien estate. And the latter two will want absurd royalties in exchange for granting the license, because they have no idea what the market value of an old game is. They'll just figure that new games are worth 60 bucks, so they'll want something like 15 bucks per sale, plus several millions up front.

Same reason why we'll never see the old Terminator or Dune or whatever games.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Tolkien estate no longer gives a poo poo about maintaining the purity of JRR's creative version (since Christopher Tolkien retired), so odds are 50/50 that they'd either demand way too much money or just okay it because any non-zero amount of money is better than no money.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Here I am waiting for Black and White 1 or 2 :corsair:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think the big DOS missing white whale is Ascendancy.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Cat Mattress posted:

There's nothing worse than licensed games. Since it's based on the movies, GOG would need to deal with 1. the developers, 2. the original publishers, 3. the movies' rightholders, and of course 4. the Tolkien estate. And the latter two will want absurd royalties in exchange for granting the license, because they have no idea what the market value of an old game is. They'll just figure that new games are worth 60 bucks, so they'll want something like 15 bucks per sale, plus several millions up front.

I still have my Battle for Middle Earth 2 + Witch King discs but I would rebuy it on GOG for certain. That's probably the last PC game discs I own.

I'd also like them to get some more older Star Trek games, like Bridge Commander :(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

wait, really? is that why we can't get Dune 2 except through abandonia or wherever?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aces High posted:

wait, really? is that why we can't get Dune 2 except through abandonia or wherever?

Yes, Herbert Limited Partnership is notorious for being jerkasses about licenses. They won't give anyone a license if it's to rerelease an old game (video or otherwise; there was a Dune boardgame that couldn't be rereleased because of that, so FFG rethemed it as "Rex: Fall of an Empire" with all Dune references scrubbed off).

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Buller posted:

Away all Goats posted:

Here I am waiting for Black and White 1 or 2 :corsair:

Since we're listing early-mid 2000s EA games i wanna add The Godfather to the request pile, that game owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Couldn't Gog announce they will be selling NOLF or whatever because of its limbo status? I bet that would get potential copyright holders off their assess in a hurry to figure out the ownership.