Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
We still telling near-abduction stories?

When I was 17, I was living with my sisters (25 and 27) while going to college in Washington. We lived in a really lovely town and would often go out on little semi-nature walks. A lot of towns in the PNW are inundated with nature, so it's easy to go from residential sidewalk to secluded forest path to Haggen's parking lot in a half hour walk.

This day we decided to walk along this patch of forest near the main road. There was a field between the two, maybe 100 yards wide? So main road in sight, broad daylight, in a group. As we were walking along, we noticed a little path leading into the forest and saw a little shamble pile of tin and such. It wasn't far in, no more than 20 feet. I was closest to the pile and we were joking about it being a hobo hut when my sisters started quietly, frantically whispering that we should go. I had no idea what the hell changed, but they ushered me out of the woods and started across the field instead of continuing the forest-side path. I told them that I was wearing sandals and the brambles in the field were cutting my feet, but they just each grabbed an arm and lifted me across the drat field.

When we got back to the roadside, they finally explained. As we were looking at the hobo hut, they turned around to see a man in a suit coming into the forest behind us, arms wide in that sort of bear hug gesture. When they made eye contact, he dropped his arms and did a heel-turn out of the forest and started walking the way we had come. As this was all being explained to me, forest and suit man still in sight, we saw a second man in a suit walking to where we had been.

I think we interrupted a drug deal and Suit 1 was going to grab one of us as leverage...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
When I was 1, my parents lived on Capitol Hill in DC. They we're moving out and carrying stuff to the car where I was sleeping in a car seat. Some guy came up, robbed my mom at gunpoint and took the car keys from her. He then got in the car with me and almost drove off till my dad ran up and the guy either saw me in the back or was spooked by my dad yelling. He got out and ran off.

I don't recall any of this.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

InediblePenguin posted:

i just don't think it's because of testosterone and while, as a person who has been a victim of harassment by men who perceived me as a woman, i completely understand and support talking about how and why men as a group suck, i think it's loving stupid to turn to biotruths because testosterone and penises don't actually force people to be lovely any more than estrogen and vaginas make people sweet angels fit only for housewifery. is the topic understandable? yes but it's also loving stupid
I 100% agree with this. I know people kid but it's literally the excuse being used for a lot of toxic masculine behavior. "It's just build into men's DNA to be violent rapists" isn't a good message.

I have one near abduction story and I ended up not being abducted because I'm a woman. I had just crossed the road when a car with like 4 bald dudes stopped right next to me. One of them opens the car door reaching out for me when one of them yells "Dude it's not him it's a girl!" and they sped off. When I told my friends they told me that they were definitely neonazis who thought I was the only black antifa dude in town who had the same piercings as me. Said dude had just gone off the map (he literally spend like a year terrified at his mom's home playing WoW because he was the only recognizable dude there because a lower facemask will in fact not hide your skin color) because him and two other antifa dudes had badly beaten up some neonazi like a week before that so they were probably out to get some retribution. This is the only time I've thought "Thank god I was a woman and not a man walking home alone".
But on the other hand I can't stop wondering if they just found some random black dude in black clothing and beat him up instead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, I must have been an ugly kid because I don't have an almost abducted story at all.... :(

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
http://www.kamikazeimages.net/writings/

Flight Petty Officer 2nd Class Nobutaka Inoue posted:

Father and Mother,

Please excuse this hastily written letter. I sincerely thank you for taking care of me until this, my 18th, year.

I also at last have joined the Special Attack Corps, an airman's highest honor, and it has been decided that I will make a sortie. I am sorry that recently I have not been able to send you news, but this also is unavoidable for military reasons. However, I have not regretted this. My heart is full of gratitude not only to you who have taken care of me until now but also to the senior officers and my friends from whom I as an individual have received so much.

Please enjoy good health until the day when in the end the Greater East Asia War is won. Even though my body disappears, my spirit only will remain. Please let me have the honor of seeing your cheerful faces from the skies of Yasukuni. The end is near. I want to write various things, but I do not know which ones are best to write.

Tomorrow at last I will fly to Okinawa and carry out a taiatari (body-crashing) attack. I will die for an eternal cause believing I follow after my younger brothers and convinced of certain victory. If a white wooden box arrives, please praise me without crying. I earnestly request this of you.

I could not do any acts of filial piety for you, but I ask my older brother to do this. The enclosed photograph was taken just before my takeoff. I am in high spirits. Please rest assured. They are dirty nail clippings, but I enclose them with this letter.

I hope you live long and take good care of yourselves.

Please say hello from me to our neighbors and relatives.

Nobutaka
April 27, 1945

Ensign Shigeru Masaki posted:

Dear Father and Mother,

On OO, we were sent off by everyone at Nagoya Air Group, and we started off in our aircraft. At 1300, all of the aircraft arrived safely at OO Air Base in Kyūshū. Truly full of energy, I admire the volcano at OO that is nearby. On the day of OO I was on standby as I took a nap at the corner of the airfield with a light southern breeze. Being born was the beginning, and the sortie will be the end, and finally today it was decided. I will not return alive, and there only will be a sure-hit taiatari (body-crashing) attack. Since there will not be an aircraft to confirm battle results, the details probably will not be known. However, if you receive official notification of my death in battle, please think that I certainly sunk instantly an enemy ship in a splendid attack.

After coming here, letters from Etsujirō Tsuyuguchi and Older Sister Yasuko arrived after they were forwarded from Nagoya, but I apologize that I have not been able to reply, so please communicate my regards to them. With regards to the oshibana (pressed flowers) made from the cherry blossoms at Zenpukuji-chō that I received from Older Sister, I will place it inside my flight helmet when I board my aircraft. I will wrap around my stomach the senninbari (thousand-stitch belt) received from everyone, and I will wear the thousand-stitch hachimaki (headband) that says "isshoku gōchin" (instant sinking in single blow) received from Principal Shimomuro. Throwing all into my task, I will carry out the best taiatari attack.

While there are only a few hours until I go and fall, not having such a feeling, it now seems like I will go on a pleasant trip through the skies. I am waiting for the time of the assembly while sharing jokes with my comrades. Among my subordinates, there is one person who was a Yokaren (Preparatory Flight Training Program) trainee in the Air Group at Uwajima . In particular, he told me that there was lodging at the home of Genzō Makimoto for up to two people. We exchanged stories about our fond memories of Uwajima.

Soon I am going to look at the maintenance condition of my aircraft. I have no regrets. Since there is nothing more for me to write, now I will part from you. Please give a message to Noriaki that he serve so as to not lose to me. I am praying that you will be in good health for many years. Please give my very warmest regards to everyone.

Kusanagi Special Attack Squadron Member
Shigeru Masaki

Corporal Toshio Nagata posted:

Dear Parents,

Sorry to not have written for a while. I trust that you are getting along well.

I also am in very high spirits. Since I feel that the time has come, please rest assured. The situation has become more and more critical. I earnestly am praying that you will be well and that you work hard to increase production. I sincerely request that you please give my regards to close relatives and people in the village.

With this short letter I pray for the health of the family.

The time to fall has come for a young cherry blossom of Yamato
Nobly, beautifully, I will fall

Toshio

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

InediblePenguin posted:

i just don't think it's because of testosterone and while, as a person who has been a victim of harassment by men who perceived me as a woman, i completely understand and support talking about how and why men as a group suck, i think it's loving stupid to turn to biotruths because testosterone and penises don't actually force people to be lovely any more than estrogen and vaginas make people sweet angels fit only for housewifery. is the topic understandable? yes but it's also loving stupid

There's plenty of evidence that men are the more criminal sex, especially when it comes to homicide and rape. This is true across a wide range of cultures and time periods. I actually went looking for any examples of this not being the case and couldn't find any- it is true no matter where you live, if you're in a city or a hunter-gatherer group. Men being violent obviously isn't inevitable but they definitely have a much higher tendency toward it, however and wherever they're raised.

While I don't subscribe to :biotruths: and I doubt it's as simplistic as "penises and testosterone!!!" I also don't think it's ridiculous that it could be partly due to biology.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I feel like alot of people think of things as binary; Testosterone doesn't force people to be monsters, but it is probably a factor and bias things one way or another. It is definitely wrong to say hormones don't affect us mentally and why the hell would we be immune from hormones or have completely different reactions to hormones than other animals, especially ones that are only a few million years different than us?

Also, remember that guassian distributions describe a hell of alot of reality and we certainly aren't immune from being described by them.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Telemaze posted:

There's plenty of evidence that men are the more criminal sex, especially when it comes to homicide and rape. This is true across a wide range of cultures and time periods. I actually went looking for any examples of this not being the case and couldn't find any- it is true no matter where you live, if you're in a city or a hunter-gatherer group. Men being violent obviously isn't inevitable but they definitely have a much higher tendency toward it, however and wherever they're raised.

While I don't subscribe to :biotruths: and I doubt it's as simplistic as "penises and testosterone!!!" I also don't think it's ridiculous that it could be partly due to biology.

One reason men might be the more violent sex is simply a result of being larger and/or more dense (har har) than women. Simple physics means you get better results from using violence, as you have greater mass to leverage. That slight advantage can be the difference between leaving a nasty bruise or snapping a bone.

The propagation of firearms was the first truly feminist movement; “The real use of gunpowder is to make all men tall,” as it were.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I feel like alot of people think of things as binary; Testosterone doesn't force people to be monsters, but it is probably a factor and bias things one way or another. It is definitely wrong to say hormones don't affect us mentally and why the hell would we be immune from hormones or have completely different reactions to hormones than other animals, especially ones that are only a few million years different than us?

Also, remember that guassian distributions describe a hell of alot of reality and we certainly aren't immune from being described by them.
Yeah, but I also think perceptions can be skewed. Someone who is experiencing too much testosterone for some reason, medical or steroids or w/e, they're going to have that impact their behavior, and I don't think that's surprising. But someone maintaining a healthy level of testosterone is, well, at a healthy level. They should be used to the emotional impact and able to handle that, if there is one, because it's their baseline and because part of being a functioning member of society is not running on instinct and adjusting your behavior for the benefit of others. Sort of like how periods are not exactly a fun time and period pain should be taken seriously but it's also really lovely to dismiss people's emotions because they're on a hormonal cycle.

There are exceptions to this in the case of people with, like, legitimate brain damage destroying their impulse control, but if someone has a problem on that level then they need medical support and not to be left in situations where they could injure themselves or others.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not the job of women to jump in say "but we're not perfect either!!" every time it's pointed out we crime less.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Please don't take violent crime away from us! It's the last thing we men have that hasn't been ruined by modern feminism and misandry!

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

It's not the job of women to jump in say "but we're not perfect either!!" every time it's pointed out we crime less.

We already know you're not perfect Pick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never crime, there are Powerful Institutions that have my fongerprints

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Please don't take violent crime away from us! It's the last thing we men have that hasn't been ruined by modern feminism and misandry!

Apparently doing a murder isn’t “politically correct” anymore!

EDIT: I think I’ve made this exact joke in this exact thread before.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 23:06 on Mar 9, 2019

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

Do we crime less or do we crime smarter?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i've seen enough forensic files to know when women do crimes they're just as likely to be incredibly stupid when doing it as men

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
When it comes to violent crime the answer is unequivocally that we crime less.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, I must have been an ugly kid because I don't have an almost abducted story at all.... :(

Any potential abductors could tell that, while they were finishing their basement dungeon, you were studying the blade and were therefore too powerful an opponent.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Telemaze posted:

When it comes to violent crime the answer is unequivocally that we crime less.

Maybe that's because women just aren't competent enough to do violent crimes :biotruths:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Or maybe it's because we're so competent nobody realizes it's us

:unsmigghh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

M_Sinistrari posted:

Longform article which is unnerving in how the slightest thing can set off obsessive revenge. A wealthy California lawyer power couple feels thier child was insulted by a volunteer mom at the school and engage in a year long campaign of ruining her life.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/?src=longreads#chapter1

That's a pro read. The detective work is amazing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

PetraCore posted:

Do we crime less or do we crime smarter?

More like we crime differently. Women are more likely to use methods like poison or while being a caregiver in general.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/angel-death-nurse-suspected-killing-kids-indicted-for-murder-year-old-case/hhcwdJFC6U0pTLmozkZl5H/
https://globalnews.ca/news/3027315/angel-of-death-a-look-at-health-care-professionals-charged-with-killing-patients/
https://www.tulsaworld.com/archives/only-in-oklahoma-black-widow-enjoyed-the-limelight/article_72d236aa-b108-5a0f-bec7-d21e5197193d.html
https://strangeremains.com/2014/05/18/a-nightmare-at-murder-farm-the-story-of-one-of-americas-most-prolific-serial-killers/
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-berkshire-39330793

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Solice Kirsk posted:

These jokes really aren’t funny, not to be an rear end in a top hat about it.

Nobody who has experienced assault thinks of it as a thumbs-up on their attractiveness, trust.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Reading those semi-abduction stories made me remember that time when I was 8 and some mister came to me in the playground close to home and asked me directions to the school nearby. I told him, he said thanks and gave me some comic book (he seemed to be its publisher representative).

I went home and told my parents. They were pissed at me and for years I never understood why and how it could be a dangerous thing. Nowadays I do. If he were a pedo rapist I wouldn't be here posting this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

Nobody who has experienced assault thinks of it as a thumbs-up on their attractiveness, trust.

Yeah, I always stick my foot in my mouth in this thread with this poo poo. I know it's not funny to people but I keep making the same jokes. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but that takes more introspection than I care to take. Probably something to do with making light of all tragedies makes the ones I have to live with easier. Who knows. :shrug:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

AlbieQuirky posted:

It reminds me of how in the MJ doc Robson used that joke until he literally couldn't handle it anymore

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

mllaneza posted:

That's a pro read. The detective work is amazing.

Now for unnerving imagine if this had happened in a less affluent county with stretched police resources and the victim was not white.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
when i was 10 a man at the bus stop took my hands in his and told me i had "really pretty hands", then left

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pvt.Scott posted:

One reason men might be the more violent sex is simply a result of being larger and/or more dense (har har) than women. Simple physics means you get better results from using violence, as you have greater mass to leverage. That slight advantage can be the difference between leaving a nasty bruise or snapping a bone.

The propagation of firearms was the first truly feminist movement; “The real use of gunpowder is to make all men tall,” as it were.
Wasn't there some Chinese ethnic group where women tended to be larger than men and as a result had differing dynamics there, or was that a traveler's tall tale?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The 'Amazons' were based on scythians and other caucasian tribes, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
Oh man (heh), I've been reading this thread over the last couple of days and trying to formulate a reply, and I still don't think this post will cover very much.

Most of the stories in this thread about crimes committed by women were against their kids or an adult they were caring for, so it could be that people in general commit crimes against someone less powerful than them. We just happen to be in a society that gives men a shitload of power. (PYF unnerving article or story: Ugh, patriarchy.) As far as the testosterone argument goes, even if it does play a role in aggression, the perpetrators are repeatedly shown to plan their attacks with sufficient care that they're obviously in control of their actions. It's like when domestic abusers only "lose control" when there aren't any witnesses.

I saw a quote over on Reddit talking about narcissistic abusers, saying "they don't understand empathy, but they do understand consequences." That argument could apply to sexual harassers and rapists as well. The thing about consequences is that right now they're inadequate not just for major offenders, like Convicted Rapist Brock Allen Turner, but for everyday low grade creeps as well. The metoo movement is full of stories about bystanders minimizing what they've seen, excusing the offender and generally acting like there's a filter between them and the victim changing "help me" into "tell me everything's fine." The low-level offenders get positive reinforcement by being allowed to get away with it and some of them will escalate to more severe offenses as time goes on. Anyone who witnesses it or hears about it secondhand learns the same lessons and because it's so common, they learn it enough to internalize it. Even though the actual perpetrators are a minority of repeat offenders, our society basically trains men to have a sex-crime-shaped blind spot unless they actively fight against it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Wasn't there some Chinese ethnic group where women tended to be larger than men and as a result had differing dynamics there, or was that a traveler's tall tale?
The Mosuo. I didn't see anything there about size difference, sounds like it's just how their culture developed.

Also, I now have "Let's Generalize About Men" from Crazy Ex-Girlfriend stuck in my head.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

The 'Amazons' were based on scythians and other caucasian tribes, right? Or am I thinking of something else?

Yes and no. The Amazon 'lore' that the Greeks dreamed up was absolutely inspired by the Scythians/Saka and other Euro-Asian nomadic tribal people at the time. The (most likely) reason that it was 'easier' for women to join the fighting forces of these tribes is because they relied on horseback tactics and LOTS of archery trickshot riding - something that women, with lighter frames can get very, very good at.

The Scythians were loving insane though.
They've found a skeleton of a dude
with an iron arrowhead embedded in his spine and completely healed over with bone in a burial mound. I can't even loving imagine the level of pain. Ugh.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Mar 10, 2019

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

M_Sinistrari posted:

More like we crime differently. Women are more likely to use methods like poison or while being a caregiver in general.

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/angel-death-nurse-suspected-killing-kids-indicted-for-murder-year-old-case/hhcwdJFC6U0pTLmozkZl5H/

There are two really good Texas Monthly articles about this case. Holy poo poo the lady is just stone cold.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-death-shift-2/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

That drat Satyr posted:

Yes and no. The Amazon 'lore' that the Greeks dreamed up was absolutely inspired by the Scythians/Saka and other Euro-Asian nomadic tribal people at the time. The (most likely) reason that it was 'easier' for women to join the fighting forces of these tribes is because they relied on horseback tactics and LOTS of archery trickshot riding - something that women, with lighter frames can get very, very good at.

If memory serves the conditions in that part of the world were also nasty enough that having women fight was also a practical measure. A lot of those folks were nomadic born in the saddle horse people that learned to ride while they learned to walk. It wasn't just a matter of being easier; it was a matter of everybody fighting as a matter of survival. You learned to ride, fight, and hunt or you died. Didn't matter who you were so of course the people who did manage to survive were tough as nails and nasty as hell on the battlefield.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Varkk posted:

Now for unnerving imagine if this had happened in a less affluent county with stretched police resources and the victim was not white.

Yup, years in prison.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves the conditions in that part of the world were also nasty enough that having women fight was also a practical measure. A lot of those folks were nomadic born in the saddle horse people that learned to ride while they learned to walk. It wasn't just a matter of being easier; it was a matter of everybody fighting as a matter of survival. You learned to ride, fight, and hunt or you died. Didn't matter who you were so of course the people who did manage to survive were tough as nails and nasty as hell on the battlefield.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. These guys were basically out there clashing with other tribes just like them, while also living on the very edge of the beginning of the silk road trade route and beginning to learn to profit from that. Scythian art is absolutely loving amazing because right as their culture came to it's peak they had access to a huge variety of goods, so we have a ton of extant precious metals doodads and trinkets. Their stags and one of my all-time favorite icons.

We even know a bit about their tattoos because one of the most famous mummies ever is Scythian and has crazy probably-spiritual-stuff tattoos.

(Possible :nws: for mummy photos?)
https://siberiantimes.com/culture/others/features/siberian-princess-reveals-her-2500-year-old-tattoos/

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pick posted:

To be fair Pick if there’s anything I’d be confident about in this world it’s that you could crime just as much as any man if you wanted to

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

On the whole make vs female crime stats I remember a few years back the local police commander said that they were seeing a shift in offending. Basically things which until recently they only arrested males for they were now seeing more and more young women doing. Dangerous driving and street racing etc he said was now about 50/50. And they were even having a number of women arrested for brawling assualt type offences. He put it down to shifting attitudes in society and the girls can do anything mantra was applying even in negative aspects.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I see you’ve read my fanfic, please don’t dox me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pirate Radar posted:

To be fair Pick if there’s anything I’d be confident about in this world it’s that you could crime just as much as any man if you wanted to

I'll take it